MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need good white bread recipe

I keep trying to make bread....so far I have made a bunch of bricks. Do any of you have a good bread recipe that you would be willing to share here? I can make cakes and pies and biscuits and all sorts of baked goods, but when it comes to bread in the oven... furious Help!

Q

The is the recipe I use for bread and for buns. It's a great recipe and always turns our soft and yummy!

White bread:

10-11 ounces milk

1 1/2 TBSP butter or margarine

1 tsp salt

1 egg*

4 cups bread flour**

2 tsp yeast

3 TBSP sugar

*I started using a substitute for the egg, since eggs have been so stinking expensive! Here's the substitute:

1 TBSP water

1 TBSP vinegar

1 tsp baking powder

Mix together and add in place of one egg.

**In place of bread flour can use 4 cups all purpose flour and 4 tsp of vital wheat gluten (this is what I do).

I actually let mine mix in the bread amchine and then do a second raise in a regular bread pan, then pop in the oven to bake. I would just follow basic instructions for mixing/kneading/raising if doing all by hand :-)

:-)

Shawna

One that's light for me every time and a great way to rotate some of those storage potatoes and milk.

Potato Bread

2 teaspoons active dry yeast

2 1/2 cups flour

2 tablespoons sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

2 tablespoons dry milk

2 tablespoons oil

1 slightly beaten egg

1/2 cup dry instant potatoes

1 cup + 1 tablespoon water

I also use the bread machine to after the first rising then put the dough into the oiled pan for the second rising.

Thank you all for the recipes....I am going to give it a try tomorrow since I'm making a big batch of fried chicken and trimmings today. I'll let you know how it turns out...just hope I can turn out a loaf and not another brick! happy02yuk

Q

Originally Posted By: mommato3boys
Hey Q, I use Miss Maggie's white bread. It is really simple, the recipe on her website is for 4 loaves but I only make two at a time.
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/familybread.htm

Okay...I tried this one today... bananadance I got BREAD!! Really and truely good bread!! dancebanana No bricks!! I been trying to do this for almost 30 years!! Never say ya can't do something...just try it again at a later time! Thanks so much for this start...now on to the next one here....

Q

Yes, DO keep trying on things... it took me about 17 years to make good gravy. It was okay, but... one day I made it, it turned out just right and I've been making it ever since...

Q., try this one.

This is the recipe that my mother gave me when I first got married, or maybe before that even. This is the one I use all the time. th6dee1705-2.gif

Bread

½ cup luke warm water

1 tsp sugar

2 pkg. yeast

Mix in small bowl and set aside

In a large bowl, put,

½ cup sugar

2 tsp salt

½ cup shortening

2 ½ cups HOT water

Mix well and add 5 cups of flour. Stir this in well and add the yeast mixture. Add 4 cups more flour, one cup at a time and mixing well between cups. It might take a bit more than the 4 cups, but not a lot. Kneed and let raise to double the size.

I use the Large Mix and Fix Tupperware Bowl, I think that is what it is called, it should take about 1 hour. Then punch down and let raise again. Put into the pans, loaf, or muffin tins. Let rise about an hour and then bake until golden brown. Loaf will take about 35 - 45 minutes at 350º and Buns about 15 - 20 minutes at 350º

I do have Buns at 425º for abut 15 minutes, but usually stay on 350º.

oops... I think that was Webers! I always envied kids that got white bread. We never did, always wheat. Oh there were those special ocassions.. Thanksgiving.. turkey sandwiches.. always white bread, but once the loaf was gone that was it for another year.

Okay, I will try those next. Still have part of one loaf left yet since it is just the two of us. Should be baking Saturday or Monday. I'll let you know how those turn out and thank you all again!

Q

Originally Posted By: quiltys41
Originally Posted By: mommato3boys
Hey Q, I use Miss Maggie's white bread. It is really simple, the recipe on her website is for 4 loaves but I only make two at a time.
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/familybread.htm

Okay...I tried this one today... bananadance I got BREAD!! Really and truely good bread!! dancebanana No bricks!! I been trying to do this for almost 30 years!! Never say ya can't do something...just try it again at a later time! Thanks so much for this start...now on to the next one here....

Q

I am glad you like it. My crew likes it too and it is so simple. I make it using honey.

2 Cups Hot tap water

3 T yeast

2/3 c. sugar

2 t salt

1/4 c. oil

5-6 c. bread flour

put hot water in a bowl, dissolve sugar and salt, sprinkle yeast on top,

let sit til bubbly. about 20 mins. Add oil, then flour, 1 C at a time. Knead 3-4 mins and let rest 15 mins.

Knead 1 more time and put into a greased bowl turning to grease other side.

cover w/ clean tea towel. let rise til doubled. punch down and divide in 2 equal parts. form into loaves and place in greased loaf pans,

oil tops, cover and let rise 1 hr.(covered) bake in a preheated 325 oven for 30 mins.

Originally Posted By: furbabymom
:woot: That's awesome! I love homemade bread but DH won't eat it (yes, he's weird), so I never make it.

save the store bought bags and put the ones you make in it. heh heh you would just have to find a way to hide the smell of fresh baked bread. lol
  • 4 weeks later...

Snowy...I'm still making what my DH calls "science experiments". I keep trying though. One of these days I will find one that works for me. It's funny that I can bake a cake or a pie from scratch with both eyes closed and one hand behind my back and it comes out perfect, but bread has me totally buffaloed. The yeast proofs good, it rises great, but something gets lost in the baking and they tend to come out like a brick. I keep trying to kneed it more each time. Can you kneed it too much? I refuse to give up trying!

Q

Archived