MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Smooth top stove

Melissa

I was wondering the same. Right now I don't have a stove of my own. It is part of the rental I am in. I will need to get a stove when I move and I am weighing the pros and cons of the different types of stoves. I like the easy clean part of the smooth top stove, but I will deffinately want to start canning when I have my own garden. I have also considered that all the best cooks seem to prefer gas. I am so confused. I have always had an electric stove, so that is what I know.

I would recommend calling the manufacturers also. I have canned on an Amana smooth top stove before (for 4 years) and it did just fine. The only problem I had was when I made jam and had a spill-over, I didn't clean it up right away and I ended up pitting the glass top trying to scrape it all off.

Q

You need to call the manufacturer and verify that it can be used for canning...many glass topped stoves are safe for that use, within certain boundries.

If it is flat bottomed and not more than 2 inches larger than the diameter of your element and your manufacturer says it's ok to use for canning, then that would work. It is possible to crack the glass.

Also, it can take forever to even get the water to boil. I know that some have a sensor that cycles the burner on and off to keep it from cracking. They may not keep it boiling the whole time.

Just a few things to consider, although I canned hundreds of pounds of tomatoes in my mom's old 7 quart canner on a glass top stove without incident.

The house we bought 4 years ago came with a newish glass top stove. I just checked the manufacturers website and it said I could can. I have a presto flat bottomed pressure canner that I use for everything without a problem. Oh and its for 21 quarts I think.

I was considering that type of stove until the salesperson said, "No, it's not a good idea to use cast iron on it." I'm looking forward to the day when I can have an industrial strength gas stove.

Any body know if you can use cast iron skillets with reasonable safety on a glasstop stove? I only use CI skillets, and am afraid of breaking the glass, and DH wants a glasstop stove real bad!

Okay here is what the sales rep guy told hubby when hubby worked at HD. You can can on top of you stove if you use a light weight canner but he would not recommended it. You CAN NOT use an All American even All American will tell you not for use on glass top stove. The ALL American are too heavy.

The sales rep guy told hubby that glass tops are nice and pretty easy to clean but if we do a lot of high heat cooking the tops will crack after a while.

He said another problem with glass tops is not all pans work well with them. The pans have to sit flat no warps are dings.

He said if we wanted looks go for the glass top but if we wanted a work horse we need to go with the gas stove top.

I agree mt3b! We had an electric in the last house and we had to replace the drip pans often, especially after canning as they always got burned up. And it just is too close to the heat source as opposed to the airflow you get with gas! I had my stockpot get burner rings from the electric, never had issues with gas.

I think I am being sold. When I get a stove after I move, I want it to be a gas stove. Question though, where I will be moving I would have to get propane....does a gas stove work on propane as well. The only gas stove I have used was in town with gas piped in from the gas company. I will probably end up asking a lot fo questions before and just after I move as I have almost nothing in the way of furniture now. I will have to replace most of what I do have, so I want to invest in getting the best I can for the long run, even if it means I have a mostly empty place for a while. If I get a trailer, it will probably come with the stove and refridgerator, but I am sure I can get the type of stove I want. Of course I have the land, I just need to figure out how to save a down payment for the trailer. I am terrible when it comes to saving. For now I pay with paper money at the vending machines at work, and the change comes home and gets dumped in my change jar. It is a painless way to save.

Melissa, I agree with others, call your stoves manufacturer and ask them.

Deb2of9, yes, a gas stove will run on propane. However, there is an orifice in the stove, the hot water heater and the furnace that should be changed, as propane is under different pressure than natural gas.

I think I know what you mean there. Many many years ago, when I had first moved to Ohio, I stayed with my sister for a while. She had propane for heat. That first winter after I got my own place, my sisters furnace broke. The landlord replaced it only he used a furnace that was set up for fuel oil. I came home from work on Christmas day, thinking I had to hurry and get changed to go to my sisters house. I smelled the most wonderful smells coming from my house that should have had my two brothers ( hopeless in the kitchen) and my 6 year old daughter there. It seems my sister and her whole family ( husband and four kids) were going to be staying at my house for a few days. They woke up Christmas morning to a freezing house. It seems the landlord had forget to change the part that let fuel in and all of her propane burned up in about a week. They couldn't get any more until after New Year's as no one would deliver that week, even in an emergency. It was a nice surprise for me and we all enjoyed the visit even if it was very crowded. It taught me a lesson about checking the valve size,( Or whatever that piece is)with someone who knows what they are doing to make sure it matches the fuel you are using. Remembering that I should have know that a gas stove would work on propane.

I have canned on my glass stove, but I prefer to do my canning out on my deck on the side burner of the grill. That way, it heats faster and doesn't heat up the house. I actually do a lot of my cooking in the summer on my deck, I take my large toaster oven out there and can cook casseroles, one loaf of bread etc., we have the side burner on the grill plus the grill itself, I bring out my dehydrator and also the crock pot.

Dawn

Originally Posted By: ArmyOfFive4God
A friend of mine had this issue. I recommend calling the stove manufacturer and asking them. She did, and found out that she COULD can on hers.

This was me! LOL

So far I have canned pickles and dill relish with no problems. I have some jams and jellies that I plan to do next.

I suggest calling the manufacturer before doing anything.

Thanks Chicken, but my fear is that either I or one of my half-trained, bipedal monkeys (aka kids) will drop the darned heavy things on the glasstop and shatter it!

Originally Posted By: One Frugal Mom
A friend of mine had this issue. I recommend calling the stove manufacturer and asking them. She did, and found out that she COULD can on hers.

This was me! LOL

So far I have canned pickles and dill relish with no problems. I have some jams and jellies that I plan to do next.

This just goes to prove, never say anything that you wouldn't say to someone's face! rofl
Originally Posted By: One Frugal Mom

This was me! LOL

This just goes to prove, never say anything that you wouldn't say to someone's face! rofl

HUGS!!!

Very true.... good thing I know that you would never say anything about me that you would not say to me! happy02

Archived