MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

ZEER POTS

I think your link isn't what you wanted to post. shrug

Or you're a silly tease! whistling

But I went looking and found these:

~~~~~~~~

The Zeer Pot - a Nigerian invention keeps food fresh without electricity

Musa Elkheir, Scidev.net

[DARFUR] Hawa Osman is a farmer in Darfur, Sudan. She grows tomatoes, okra, carrots, and rocket lettuce, and also has small orchard of guava trees.

In the hot weather of Darfur, Hawa used to lose half of the crops she hoped to sell each day in the market of Al Fashir, the capital city of North Darfur, because of inadequate storage facilities — and no electricity or refrigerator — in her small canteen, the shed made out of wood and palm leaves in which she displays her products to clients.

But these days she is selling fresher produce and making bigger profit. This is because of an ingenious device — the zeer pot — that was invented by a Nigerian teacher, Mohammed Bah Abba and introduced to Darfur last year.

The zeer is a large pot inside which fits another smaller pot with a clay lid. The space between the two pots is filled with sand, creating an insulating layer around the inner pot. The sand is then kept damp by adding water at regular intervals — generally twice a day — reducing the temperature within the inner post decrease.

Each zeer can contain 12 kg of vegetables, and costs less than US$2 to produce.

Experiments assessing its ability to extend shelf life show that tomatoes and guavas can be kept for 20 days, compared to just two without. Even rocket, which usually lasts only a day before wilting, can be kept for five days.

Amina Abas, who sells zeers in the Al Fashir marketplace, says that she has found a high demand for the pot, as almost every family accommodates a family of refugees from the fighting in the region.

"As a result, there is a need for zeer for keeping water and vegetables and preserving fruit to meet the needs not only of the host family, but also of the refugee family," she says. "It is really great."

Hawa was the first person to use the zeer technology in her canteen. An information sheet attached to the pot tells her how long different produce can be kept.

Before getting her zeer Hawa used to have to carry any unsold crops home each day. During the six-hour walk the vegetables would end up rotten because of the heat.

Preservation is a key issue for food security. A good harvest is a rarity in the harsh climate of North Darfur; but even when farmers and small-scale producers produce a strong crop, they still face the problem of preserving the fruit and vegetables they've grown.

Dry heat and dust reduce the 'shelf-life' of foods such as tomatoes, okra and carrots to as little as two or three days, making it essential to get good quality produce quickly into the marketplace. And the fact that food must be consumed quickly means that wastage is high.

Since its introduction in November 2002, 110 families in Darfur have adopted the zeer. On average, two zeers are used in homes, while women on the market will have three to four.

"It is simple and appropriate technology to me, as a farmer always works to keep her produce fresh and in top condition," says Hawa. "I was able to understand and use it within a week, and the technology rapidly became my bread and butter."

She points out that she has to look after both herself and three children. "This technology has helped me gain a suitable income to meet my family's daily needs. I see it as the most positive turning point in my life, in that it has allowed me to become self-sufficient."

Furthermore, both producer and consumer benefit. For the farmer, the zeer increases sales opportunities and for the consumer the result is an increased supply of vegetables and fruits in marketplace.

The zeer is the brainchild of teacher Mohammed Bah Abba. Bah Abba passed his idea to the Intermediate Technology Development Group (ITDG), which, with the assistance of researchers at the University of Al Fashir, carried out experiments to measure its value in maintaining nutrient content and extending the shelf life of vegetables.

As a result, the Women's Association for Earthenware Manufacturing in Darfur, with the support of ITDG, is now producing and selling zeers for food preservation in the Al Fashir area.

Iman Mohamed Ibrahim of ITDG says women using the zeer to preserve their vegetables on the market can make an additional 25 to 30 per cent profit on their income.

He points out, however, that it can have many other uses. "It can be used for storing sorghum and millets for a long time, as it protects from humidity when it is dry, preventing fungi from developing."

The zeer can also keep water at a temperature of about 15 degree Celsius. "In the camp, it is used as a water pot, to store relief items, and even as a clothes cupboard," he says.

There is also a health benefit. Mahmoud Ali, hygiene officer for the Al Fasir Municipality, says the zeer helps maintain the vitamin and nutrient content of the vegetables, and prevent disease by keeping flies off the food.

"Before the technology came along, vegetables on the display shelves attracted flies, resulting in stomach disease such as dysentery, " he says. "Now that vegetables can be kept fresh for longer and away from flies, there is a remarkable decrease in such sorts of cases."

(picture at site)

http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2004/sept...frigeration.htm

~~~~~~~~

http://www.rolexawards.com/laureates/laure...6-bah_abba.html

http://www.energybulletin.net/22792.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot-in-pot_refrigerator

http://permaculturetokyo.blogspot.com/2006...ve-cooling.html

http://www.squidoo.com/nonelectric/

:cool1: Abigail!!

bighug

I want some of those Zeer pots for my kitchen! I never have enough room for all all the fruit I buy and have to leave them out on the counter sometimes. I could use one for apples, peaches, etc...

I am wondering if I could find a local potter who would make one for me? (A set). I wonder if the pots are glazed or unglazed?

I live in Arizona, and the heat and lack of humidity gets to stuff quick here.

Originally Posted By: Aint2nuts
I want some of those Zeer pots for my kitchen! I never have enough room for all all the fruit I buy and have to leave them out on the counter sometimes. I could use one for apples, peaches, etc...

Me too! I heard about them on another message board, but when I Googled it, I couldn't find any commercial sources. The person on the other board said they had gotten two clay pots and some sand to try to duplicate the principle. They were going to try them out, but they haven't reported back yet on how it went for them.

I wouldn't think that this is rocket science, or a specific kind of pottery....seems simple enough.

PS the pictures in the link don't look shiny to me; I'd guess they're unglazed. However, it says you add water to the sand, too. Would it need to be glazed to prevent water seepage thru the pottery, or does it need to evaporate. And there's a clay lid too.

Directions for making your own...

http://www.seed.slb.com/labcontent.aspx?id...ot+refrigerator Experiment results are on the next page.

http://www.seed.slb.com/uploadedFiles/Scie...efrigerator.pdf The PDF version, including experiment results.

edited to fix link

I used something similar to this for three years, during my "extended camping trip". The concept worked fairly well. Not anything like what an electric fridge can crank out, f'sure...but adequate for my needs. Of course, my needs are quite simple...I don't need to stand in front of an open refrigerator door to meditate about what I need to eat...LOL

BTW, I was constantly fiddling with ways to "make it better". When it was not too humid outside, I hung my contraptions in the shade, to catch the breeze better. When the humidity was high, I stuck my contraptions in holes in the ground (in the coolest area I could find). When the weather was really, really HOT, I modified the hole with the addition of an "evaporative cloth" of sorts that draped from a pan of water in the bottom of the hole, over the goods, and out of the hole to catch the breeze.

Using tricks like adding a couple of tablespoons of colloidal silver solution to milk and juices really helped a lot. (I was a skeptic before discovering how well colloidal silver works as an antibacterial.) With the silver solution added, milk lasted for a much longer time than the untreated milk. I forgot just how much longer...will have to do this again, and time it...(but if someone beats me to it, please post it!)

Hard cheese also lasts longer if you wrap it in a cloth dampened with vinegar...

I really would have loved to had a cool running creek or spring, to make a springhouse of sorts...

WOW2.gif that is something.

Guess we will have to all try to make them. I have run out of refrigerator room several times. We have coolers and add the ice to them. smile

It would be a good experiment though. smile

My mom had a round box thing and then in the summer would put a quart jar of ice tea or something to take to daddy in the field. It was on this order, so if one can think of different ways to do things, that is good. smile

3864.gifHUGS34.gif

From the link...

1. The smaller pot should fit inside the larger one with a space of one to three centimeters. If the pots have holes in the bottoms, as flower pots usually do, plug them with clay, cork or some other suitable substance. This prevents the sand from running out of the larger pot and keeps water from flowing into the inner pot.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Similar to a butter keeper. Use a 10 inch clay pot, fill bottom hole. Put in 1 inch clean sand. Set a 8 inch clay pot inside, and pour more sand around to fill in the 1 inch space around pot. Wet the sand. Put in what you want to keep cold (butter) cover with wet cloth and set in shady, breezy place. Ive used a thermometer to check, and in 98 degree weather (out in sun) the inside of the pot went down to 70 degrees when wetted and put in shade. Not bad.

For a larger version, look up "Coolgardie safe". It showed pictures of a screened cabinet which was cooled by evaporation. It will keep milk from spoiling, but not really as colds as we are used to. But hey - its cheap to run!

An experiment I ran in Germany failed miserably. It was a primitive set-up with only materials that were lying around. So...

A small plastic tub, filled with playsand. Placed in there a rectangular earthenware plantcontainer. Container was non-glazed so I was hoping it'd be allright.

On top were two un-glazed rooftiles.

I was hoping the evaporation would go from the sand via the container and cool the inside off enough to keep things cool. It didn't.

Perhaps it really does need two earthenware containers and sand between them to function. Or a proper lid :)

Anyway, all input and advice appreciated.

Christy, did you wet down the sand in your bin? If so... maybe a non permeable, opaque lid ( painted bin lid or metal or wood that is painted to seal it) would help?

I know even a wooden box that is un treated and NOT painted or sealed, if kept wet, will, by evaporation, keep things cool like the Zeer pots. Occasionally soaking the box with water through out the day if it dries out alot. This method has been used by offgridders in the deserts of the Southwest USA. Milk and cheese kept fine for a few days within it. Set it in a shady spot.

I would consider building a spring house over a small creek or water canal you may find useful for transferring water, or at the edge of a pond or over a spring if you have one on your land? Stones and cement or clay to build it are adequate materials. These were commonly used by many pioneering families before refrigeration was even thought of. You might be able to get one of those contractors to help you design and build one using quick set cement in fact.

They are not hard to design, with a water trough made with screening to filter out leaves and such that might be in the water way and crocks, wooden boxes with glass and ceramic vessels and bowls could be placed in the water flow. One can keep it very simple or get very elaborate. Even cold water piping can be run through a spring house or root cellar and it will keep the interior quite cool.

Screening and such used on window or door would keep bugs out. Can be set up with a stout door and lock of course to add to thief deterrents. Shelving can be added above the water trough with room to move around inside so you can reach everything.

An experiment I ran in Germany failed miserably. It was a primitive set-up with only materials that were lying around. So...

A small plastic tub, filled with playsand. Placed in there a rectangular earthenware plantcontainer. Container was non-glazed so I was hoping it'd be allright.

On top were two un-glazed rooftiles.

I was hoping the evaporation would go from the sand via the container and cool the inside off enough to keep things cool. It didn't.

Perhaps it really does need two earthenware containers and sand between them to function. Or a proper lid :)

Anyway, all input and advice appreciated.

You need to make the outer container of unglazed clay - the water evaporates through the pot walls, much larger area than that little bit of wet sand you had. You just did not have enough surface area evporating to make it work. Also it helps to make sure it is in the shade, and a breeze really speeds it up. You have the right idea though, just switch the pots.

The cover has to be permeable too, evaporation is what makes it work. Hinder that, and all you get is...mold....I used a wet cloth daped over the top.

The sand was kept wet at all times. It might have been the plastic tub on the outside that prevented it from working. As said, it were the only materials lying around.

Will try a setup with two unglazed containers next time.

Kappydell, the cloth is a good idea. Will use that as cover next experiment round.

Arby, there is no running or even open water on the land. It's just under an acre so teensy tiny eh?

The mayor is actively thinking along and showed his well. He's got (besides the water for the house) an old bricked well with a bucket on a chain going down. Only for decoration now.

If the two-glazed-pots still don't work, it would have to be just a hole dug down and covered in the shade. Once we get the show on the road a well like that would be brill to keep things cool. Lower food by bucket, place lid on well and hoist food up when to be used.

Sometimes you have to experiment and find out what doesn't work :wub:

Archived