MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ok Ladies...we're gonna start learning how to make sourdough bread...

Originally Posted By: quiltys41
Got the fingers crossed! Let us know how it went. I decided I WILL learn how to make bread if it kills me. Had to pay almost 2.00 for one loaf today at the store. Ugh! DarleneSwoon

Q

There is a real simple white/wheat bread recipe on Hillbilly House wife www.hillbillyhousewife.com
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Skagitgal

The best place for sourdough is on top of the warming oven of a wood stove. Feed and use daily for best results.

I'm using your recipe this time. bouquet

I do have one question for you. Do you feed and use yours
daily? If so, could you give me some sort of schedule for this?

I've been getting creative, jewlz. My starter & dough have been on top of the dryer, next to the stove, on top of the coffee maker.

Had a bit of a setback today though. I "formed 2 loaves" on a cookie sheet only to wake and find they'd spread out rather then up. So I plopped them in 2 loaf pans and sat them atop my coffee maker (on with a pot of water since the coffee's gone right now) to rise for a few hours. If all else fails, I can go back to my original sweet sourdough bread. *sigh*

Originally Posted By: ArmyOfFive4God
I've been getting creative, jewlz. My starter & dough have been on top of the dryer, next to the stove, on top of the coffee maker.

Had a bit of a setback today though. I "formed 2 loaves" on a cookie sheet only to wake and find they'd spread out rather then up. So I plopped them in 2 loaf pans and sat them atop my coffee maker (on with a pot of water since the coffee's gone right now) to rise for a few hours. If all else fails, I can go back to my original sweet sourdough bread. *sigh*

ROLLS...roll those babies out in to golf ball size balls and plop them in a muffin pan and have sour dough rolls.

Oh Ladies, hang on to your starters.

Just because your kitchen/house is cool/cold, doesnt mean you cant have a sourdough pot. It just means that the starter works more sloooowly than if it is warm.

If your house is as cold as an Alaska miner's cabin/tent; you may have to sleep with the starter to keep it from freezing. LOL!

Otherwise you do have to warm it up to 'nice yeasty, bubbly' stage before you use it.

At a minimum, [when it's sitting on the counter or in the fridge], feed it once a week. When I'm not using it much, I feed the starter and clean the pot once a week, usually Sun. morning.

When you are using the starter, you feed it every time you take starter out to cook with.

OK, now this is where a lot of arguements start. You will find people will argue about sourdough quicker than they would an insult. Two ways to proceed.

1. Take ALL the starter and feed it, use what you need for the recipe, return the pure starter to the pot. If you have a lot, dont refeed it right away, but within a couple of days. If you are going to use it tomorrow, feed it.

JUST KEEP the starter looking bubbly. However many times it takes feeding it to achieve the constant action, is what you want.

2.More common way to use; take out the amount of starter you need and feed it in a seperate bowl and proceed with the recipe from there. Also feed the 'mother' starter in the pot.

Rabid sourdough users never let 'anything' contamminate the 'mother'. Only flour and water.......ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, that I have given you the 'pure' method, I must confess to dropping in a few grains of yeast now and then. Sourdough is a slooooooooooooow acting dough. Where as a yeast dough might take 3 hours to rise in a cool kitchen, sourdough might take 5, or longer.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I dont have that kind of time. So I add a little yeast to the dough I put to work in the second bowl. If I find that I like the results[ less pronounced sourdough taste, or better loft to the loaf] I will add a bit of the yeast lively dough back into the 'mother pot'. 1/8 t. is what I use of regular yeast.

There is no reason not to use yeast with sourdough, and many recipes combine both. Straight sourdough is for when you have no yeast available.

A steady diet of sourdough is tiring; unless it is all ya got. Then you have no choice in the matter. Have fun!!!

Grubby, are you giving your loaves enough time to rise? Your sourdough loaf WILL NEVER be more than a 1/2 to 1" above the rim of the bread pan.

It takes a commercial steam injection oven to raise sourdough to lofty heights...they also cheat & add yeast . You can put a pan of water in the bottom of the oven..rising steam.. and/or spray the baking loaves with a light mist of water. All too much trouble for me. If your mind has to have loft in the loaf, just add yeast to the starter. The amount that the recipe calls for.

Grubby, I have trouble with loaves too, you're not alone here! grin

So far, I have my starter in an old bean crock pot and it is bubbly and getting a little watery. Smell bad? No! It smells good to me, like a sour mash. (Don't ask!). I put it back on the dryer since I had to do laundry today and it is raining. Seems okay back there. I have to feed it tomorrow then let it set another 2 days (Will try the heating pad trick since it is to get cold again)....then I can try and make the bread. So Sunday morning, I will try to bake these babies. DH is so looking forward to it...hope it turns out!

Q

Originally Posted By: ArmyOfFive4God
Time to try a different recipe. Unless you like a VERY thick dense, brick of bread.....

Don't blame that recipe or me! lol

I made rolls with that recipe and they turned out yummy.
What did you do wrong? rofl

Go with the starter that we're using now. Skagitgal's! smile

I made rolls with my mine but I didn't want to make plain

ones. For these I put toppings on them. yumyum

First I brushed melted butter on them.

On 1/2 of them I sprinkled cinnamon/sugar mixture.

On the other 1/2 I sprinkled brown sugar.

For the last step. I sprinkled nuts over them.

They were so good! feedme I love cinnamon rolls but I

just didn't have the time. This worked! I could go the extra

step and drizzle on the glaze. It was after dinner and you

know how that goes! rollingeyes

• 11 months later...

Archived