MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I have a Question concerning Eggs.

wvangel46

I know this question is going to sound stupid, but why can't you freeze eggs?. Is there something that happens to them when they freeze that would keep you from thawing them out and useing them to bake with? I have had eggs freeze in my fridg, when it was on the blink. and I just stuck the egg in a bowl of warm water for about 3 or 4 minutes and they thawed and I used it and did not get sick. I was just wondering and thought someone would have some info I could use.. Thanks ... feedback

You can freeze eggs. Not whole eggs, though.

Here is how to do it :

Eggs

Eggs can be stored for at least 1 month, covered in the refrigerator. Freezing is often unnecessary, but it can be done.

Preparation – Select fresh eggs and break each separately into a clean saucer. Examine each for freshness and remove any pieces of shell before mixing with other eggs.

WHOLE EGGS — Thoroughly mix yolks and whites. Do not whip in air. To prevent graininess of the yolks, add 1-½ tablespoons sugar, 1-½ tablespoons corn syrup OR ½ teaspoon salt per cup whole eggs, depending on intended use. Strain through a sieve or colander to improve uniformity. Package, allowing ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.

Another method of freezing a whole-egg mixture is to use ice trays. Measure 3 tablespoons of egg mixture into each compartment of an ice tray. Freeze until solid. Remove frozen cubes, and package in moisture-vapor resistant containers. Seal and freeze. Three tablespoons of the egg mixture (one cube) equal one whole egg.

EGG YOLKS — Separate eggs. Stir yolks gently. To prevent graininess, add 1-½ tablespoons sugar, 1-½ tablespoons corn syrup OR ½ teaspoon salt per cup of egg yolks, depending on intended use. Strain through a sieve. Package, allowing ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. One tablespoon of the yolk mixture equals one egg yolk.

EGG WHITES — Gently mix whites; do not whip. Strain through a sieve. No sugar or salt is needed. Package, leaving ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. Two tablespoons of the egg-white mixture equal one egg white.

Because of my hubby's diet he makes eggwhite omelets.

I freeze egg yolks all the time, in Ziplock bags of 5 yolks with a spoon of sugar mixed in. I lay them flat to freeze, they stack quite well. I use the packages for cakes and french toast.

Thanks... Violet,Leah... Your input was very appreciated. I also found a link about freezing that says the same thing you both said, except they added you could freeze the eggs for up to a year. so When eggs go on sale different times of the year I am going to freeze enough to hold me till the next sale. were haveing a sale now 2 doz for a dollar so I will do up some this week. I like the ice cube tray Idea, that makes for easy measureing...Several times a year we have some good sales on eggs. we use alot of eggs around here, I love to cook and bake, and have the 3 kids here at home. so every Idea helps when it comes to makeing things go a long way.. One more thing learned from this forum.. lol thanks

Originally Posted By: Violet
I just know that the USDA does not have a safe method for dehydrating eggs. That is another do at your own risk things. Eggs are only recommended to be frozen for storage longer than they are safe in the fridge.

Heehee...how did I just know that you'd say that? I almost put my reply in the cave.
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Violet, does the sugar, or corn syrup, or salt HAVE to be added? My wife just came in with 6 dozen eggs she got for between ten cents & 1.00 a dozen and wants to freeze them but said she was not going to add anything.

wormie

John

Separate the whites from the yolks. Don't have to add anything to the whites. Make one ice cube of one white, for easier measuring later. If you don't add salt or sugar, the yolks will be gummy when they thaw. Even freezing one day gives some gumminess, and it gets worse over time. Talk her into trying a few of the yolks frozen her way and then thawed, before she does them all.

The amount of sugar is much larger than the amount of salt. I have successfully used just a pinch of salt, less than a quarter teaspoon, for six egg yolks.

I use the salt. I can use them for baking or cooking that way. I freeze the whole eggs, not separate them. You do need to add something to keep the yolks from being grainy and gummy.

I use muffin tins lined with plastic wrap. My icecube trays are not large enough.

Freezing

Eggs

Eggs can be stored for at least 1 month, covered in the refrigerator. Freezing is often unnecessary, but it can be done.

Preparation – Select fresh eggs and break each separately into a clean saucer. Examine each for freshness and remove any pieces of shell before mixing with other eggs.

WHOLE EGGS — Thoroughly mix yolks and whites. Do not whip in air. To prevent graininess of the yolks, add 1-½ tablespoons sugar, 1-½ tablespoons corn syrup OR ½ teaspoon salt per cup whole eggs, depending on intended use. Strain through a sieve or colander to improve uniformity. Package, allowing ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.

Another method of freezing a whole-egg mixture is to use ice trays. Measure 3 tablespoons of egg mixture into each compartment of an ice tray. Freeze until solid. Remove frozen cubes, and package in moisture-vapor resistant containers. Seal and freeze. Three tablespoons of the egg mixture (one cube) equal one whole egg.

EGG YOLKS — Separate eggs. Stir yolks gently. To prevent graininess, add 1-½ tablespoons sugar, 1-½ tablespoons corn syrup OR ½ teaspoon salt per cup of egg yolks, depending on intended use. Strain through a sieve. Package, allowing ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. One tablespoon of the yolk mixture equals one egg yolk.

EGG WHITES — Gently mix whites; do not whip. Strain through a sieve. No sugar or salt is needed. Package, leaving ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. Two tablespoons of the egg-white mixture equal one egg white.

I have done them without the salt and they've been OK. Fine for baking, but I've not used them for say, scrambled eggs.

Just make sure when you go to use them that you allow for PLENTY Of thawing time! You can't rush them without cooking them LOL.

Mo7

• 3 months later...

You can freeze eggs. I do. They occasionally get frozen accidentally in my fridge (cold spots), and do just fine for any use, including fried, but for purposeful freezing, I wouldn't freeze them whole because they end up cracking usually.

A very easy way is to spray an ice tray with oil, pour scrambled eggs in, freeze, put cubes in a freezer bag and extract air. They will keep for 6m or so, one cube = one egg.

If you are like me and use lots of eggs at one time (I rarely use less than 6 eggs at a time for baking), you can just crack the eggs into a baggie, expel air, squish and freeze flat. Just mark how many eggs/egg size on the bag. Adding a little salt is a good idea, but I've not had bad results when I forget either.

Another way would be to freeze the yolks when you end up with extras after making meringue or something. I add 1 T water for each yolk, can't remember why or there is a reason for it, to tell you the truth, I've done it that way for 15 years. When I do yolks by themselves, I use them in omelets or add to baked goods for extra nutrition, just like I add an extra egg to various recipes to boost the nutrition value.

I just began my bucket of "waterglass" solution to store fresh eggs. [11 parts water to 1 part waterglass] I get the waterglass from Lehmans. I've used this method for years with eggs lasting for 6 months easy. 'Course, I have a nice cool basement sort of place to keep the bucket. Gets me thru the short time period that Khaki Campbell ducks take a recess. happiduck

[uh....don't know if this is an approved method but....the instructions are right on the label.... shrug ]

MtRider [finally getting a return on my investment of new duckies last spring... woohoo ]

Archived