MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

It is just SO WRONG

Skagitgal

On my way home tonight, what do I see peeking out of a window...a fully lighted, decorated CHRISTMAS TREE.

I object to anyone glossing over THANKSGIVING!! My favorite holiday. I want to knock on their door and ask WHY? mad

I received a note from my brother that his wife finished decorating for Christmas this past weekend. They'll be out of town visiting her family for two weeks at Thanksgiving though, and she didn't want to have to do it when they got back. Way too soon for me. As you're on the other side of the country from my brother, I know you didn't pass by his house.

When I was a child, we put the tree up on Christmas Eve and had a big decorating party, then took the tree down after about 12 days. Around here everyone takes the tree down Christmas day or the day after.

I try to follow in the footsteps of my mom, Christmas shopping is finished by Thanksgiving, and the month of December is for baking, crafts and games with the children, visiting and having fun - but no shopping, other than fresh fruit, veggies and milk.

Dawn

I still have Halloween decorations all over the house!

Ours goes up the day after Thanksgiving, and comes down New Years Day. I LOVE Christmas time! I spend the season in awe and reverence, as I comtemplate the human birth of my Lord.

I'm with you Halfpint, shopping is done early. I hate even going to the grocery store in December.

We always put up our tree the weekend after Thanksgiving and then start decorating from there. But, the stores are whats driving me crazy. They've already started putting out the Christmas stuff...it's way to early...

Stacy

From listening to the economic news, it sounds like the stores are anticipating a rather sparse Christmas season. So they're bringing out the Christmas decorations and trying to run sales starting *now* to encourage people to spend the money BEFORE the heating bills and gasoline take all our dollars.

Gas hit $3.16 a gallon here this weekend... (nearly $100 a barrel for the oil).

NOBODY talks about how high the prices are going on our food! DarleneSwoon I hear the restaurants are trying to keep customers coming by keeping their prices stable.

After seeing all your milk prices, I feel blessed to still find it on sale for $2.77 or even 2 for $5 (per gallon).

Cat, I disagree. The shoppes have been putting out decorations for various things early for several years now. Everything has become so commercial that few things hold meaning for the majority of folks. I'll admit, we listen to CHRISTmas music on & off thru the year. It's a "mood" thing I guess, sorta like listening to Christian music or jazz or rock n roll. But decorate? No, not yet (even though I did dec a week earlier than norm for Halloween! *blush*).

I am another that dec's either TG evening or the day/weekend after.

I always feel sorry for the poor employees. By the time the holiday gets here (any holiday) they are sick to death of it.

Having 'Jingle Bells' beeped at them from a stuffed alien Santa all day long for 2 months is enough to cause anyone to run amok!

Well with Christmas stuff coming out before Halloween even got here this year its getting old real fast. They are starting to feel the pinch (the big companies) because people arnt spending the way they used to. I HATE going into any store anymore because of all of this. Its ridiculous. Its going to get to the point where Christmas items are on display from the 4th of July.. or even year round.

Pansy & Leah, if you want a peek at the house with the tree, go north on 9 to almost to the top of Duke's Hill. It's the house with the limo for sale in the front yard.

I had to turn around and look for a second time, I couldn't believe it!

Sad, so sad.

The Wal-Mart in Winchester TN was playing Christmas music this past Saturday (the 3rd of Nov). I didnt' mind because some of it was Medieval instrumental and I'm always up for that.

Of course, I'm in the SCA so when folks talk about going back to the 'dark ages' I'm the only one in the room who shouts :woot:... Unless of course, there are OTHER SCA members about!

Originally Posted By: Leah
I always feel sorry for the poor employees. By the time the holiday gets here (any holiday) they are sick to death of it.

Having 'Jingle Bells' beeped at them from a stuffed alien Santa all day long for 2 months is enough to cause anyone to run amok!

I remember the year I worked one holiday season at Toys R Us and I hated that Christmas. I was so burned out that I did not enjoy it. The boys still wanted to go look at lights, bake cookies, decorate the tree and wish shop so they could make sure we knew exactly what they wanted for Christmas. In my off time I avoided stores, ALL of them, it was all I could to do bring myself to go grocery shopping that year.

Originally Posted By: MtnMama
The Wal-Mart in Winchester TN was playing Christmas music this past Saturday (the 3rd of Nov). I didnt' mind because some of it was Medieval instrumental and I'm always up for that.

Our WM had their opening of "Toyland" this past weekend. I was at WM at 8:30 Friday morning got what I needed and left. Tried to avoid all stores this past weekend.

GOODAFTERNOONFORAUTUMN.jpg

I remember a number of years back, well it was in 1963 in fact, I was working at a store in town and they had 'Christmas in July' that was sort of fun. We did the decorating and all. But, it was just for a few days.

Yes, now they are starting to put Christmas things out by the end of September or the first of October.

Our Wal-Mart had just gotten their Christmas things up this past week. They worked at it for about 2 weeks I think though. smile

I like to get our tree up about the day after Thanksgiving, but, it hasn't always been that way. We use to wait until about 2 weeks before Christmas then put it up. But, now since it is just the two of us doing it, mostly me, it takes me a few days to get it up and decorated. smile I decorate the house too, lights in the kitchen, living room, and dining room. One year I added them to all three of the bedrooms. smile I usually put them around all the doorways and in the halls.

Our hutch, with all, well most of my Salt & Pepper Shakers.

THEHUTCH.jpg

Going into the kitchen from the dining room. smile

ARCHTOKITCHENFROMDININGROOM.jpg

I could add more, but, you would get tired of seeing it. smilewink

We have gotten the lights all put up outside by now sometimes, depends on the weather, but haven't done it yet this year. We like to do it before it gets so very cold one freezes their fingers putting them up.

About a week we usually go out at night to see the lights around town.

I like to get the most part of the shopping out of the way by this time of year and have again this year. Only have to buy for a couple adults and Old Pine yet. I have been doing stocking and that is getting a bit much, since everything is getting so expensive. Anyway, it will be just the two of us agian this year and I will not be filling any other stockings, just Old Pine's and he can stuff mine. smile

HAPPYTUESDAY10.gifFlowerpots.gifHUGSFORCHRISTMAS1.gif

Snowmom... my Mom collects salt and pepper shakers!!! laugh She has a pair from every state, and many, many countries.

Didn't know you collected them, or I forgot... shrug

bighug

FALLGOODMORNING2.gif

Oh yes, Cat, I've collected them for a very long time, in fact, since Old Pine and I have been married. My mother did and one of my sisters did too. I ended up with some that were my moms as well as a few from my sister. smile I think I have close to 200 sets. They are not all on the hutch, I have a box in the basement with a bunch in. I need a larger house and a large display case for them. smile

That would be nice to have one from every state, but I don't.

I'm working on the little spoons too, and I do have a couple from different countrys. Our DD went to England one year and gave me one. When Jerry was in Iraq, he had a few days leave, and picked me up a spoon, just off hand, I can't remember what is says. I also had a niece who was in Scottland for a few months several years back and she brought a spoon back from there for me. smile Also, just a few years ago, our DD found some at an antique store from several countries in a rack. smile

Oh, but this thread isn't about collections. smile

HAVEAGOODDAY1.gifWEDNESDAY8.jpgFALLHUGS2.jpg

Archived