MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Baking cookies

FALLGOODMORNING2.gif

Ok, how many have started baking for Christmas???

I did today, just this morning, I will bake ahead and freeze the cookies and bars then they will be taken out of the freezer when I am ready to ship them. This way I am not rushing at the last minute trying to get it all done. smile

Here is the first kind of cookies I made.

TOFFEE ALMOND SANDIES

1 cup butter softened

1 cup vegetable oil

1 cup sugar

1 cup powdered sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. almond extract

4 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cream of tartar

1 tsp. salt

2 cups sliced almonds

1 package toffee bits

In a mixing bowl, cream butter, oil and sugars. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each egg. Beat in almond extract. Combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in almonds and toffee bits.

Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350º for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool. Makes 9 dozen cookies.

It may make that many if you make them really small, but I am not sure how many I will get out of the recipe. smile

I didn't know I needed the sliced almonds when I did my shopping last week, so I used slivered almonds, should work out anyway. smile

Ok, I just tried one and it was very good, now we will see if they last long enough to get in the freezer. winksmile

I am in hopes to get at least one more batch made today. I'll let you know what they are and if I do. smile

Oh it took me longer to get these mixed up because I had to go down stairs two time to find sugar, and powdered sugar. So if they had been up here, I would have had more baked by now.

HAVEAGOODDAY1.gifFALLHUGS2.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GOODEVENINGWORDS.gif again. smile

Here is the recipe for the second kind I made today. smile

CRANBERRY CHIP COOKIES

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup shortening

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

2 1/4 cups flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup vanilla or white chips

1 cup dried cranberries

1 cup chopped pecans

In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the chips, cranberries and pecans.

Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375º for 9 - 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 9 dozen.

I only got 82 cookies, so lacked a few. smile But, that is fine. smile

If anyone makes them please experiment with the time as the first pan was a bit dark, not burned, but dark. The last pan of 10 were only in for about 6 minutes, some were in for 8 and some for 6 1/2. So, you need to watch them. smile

They are really good too. I wasn't to sure how I would like them with the cranberries in them but they are really good. smile

Oh, I almost forgot to put a picture of them in. I did forget to get one before they went into the oven though. frown But here is a picture showing what they look like after they are done. smile

CRANBERRYCHIPCOOKIESAFTERTHEYAREDON.jpg

HAVEAGREATEVENING.gif

FALLHUGS2.jpg

FALLGOODMORNING1.gif

You are right, Mommato3boys, I do have it don't I. smile

Leah, yours look so nice, you have them on a plate with candy corn, and I just had mine on the cookie sheet. But, that is fine, mine are really good too, Old Pine said so too. smile I bet yours are good too, and won't last long either will they. smile

I do plan to do more baking today, so will post later on what I bake and how good they are. smile

Sorry but, we just have to share what we are baking. smile

I do hope you get that freezer and get if filled with baked goods, Grubby. smile

HAVEAGOODDAY1.gif

FALLHUGS2.jpg

HAPPYTHURSDAY9.gif

GOODAFTERNOON1-1.gif

I did get two batches of cookies made, but I messed up on one so didn't take a picture. I had made some WHITE CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY BISCOTTI, they didn't turn out the way they should have.

Then I made a batch of Candy Cane Cookies

CANDY CANE COOKIES

1/2 cup butte, softened

1/2 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup powdered sugar

1/2 cup milk

1 egg

1 tsp peppermint extract

1 tsp vanilla extract

3 1/2 cups flour

1/4 tsp salt

Green or Red food coloring.

In a bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars. Beat in milk, egg and extracts.

Gradually add flour and salt. Set aside half of the dough. Divide remaining dough in half; and add the green food coloring to one portion and red food coloring to the other. Wrap each dough separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.

Roll 1/2 tsp of each color of dough in 3 inch ropes; press gently together and twist. Repeat with the red ropes and remaining white ropes.

Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Curve one end, forming a cane. Bake at 350º for 11-13 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes; carefully remove to wire racks. Yields: about 6 dozen.

These turned our real good.

These are the red ones before they were cooked.

DCP_2704.jpg

These are the green ones after they were cooked. smile

CandyCanecookiesingreen.jpg

I also have a batch in the refrigerator right now to be cut and baked.

FALLHUGS2.jpg

HAVEANICEDAY8-1.gif

GOODEVENINGFRUIT.jpg

I have the pictures of the Peppermint Pinwheels to put in now, and here is the recipe. smile

PEPPERMINT PINWHEELS

3/4 cup butter softened

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg yolk

1 tsp vanilla

2 cups flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 peppermint extract

1/4 tsp red liquid food coloring.

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half and add extract and red food coloring to one portion.

On a work surface, roll out each portion of dough between waxed paper into a 16 x 10 inch rectangle. Remove waxed paper. Place red rectangle over the plain rectangle; wrap up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or until firm.

Unwrap the dough and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350º for 12 - 14 immunities or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: about 4 dozen.

I think before baking. smile

PINWHEELCOOKIESBEFOREBAKING.jpg

Now after baking.

PINWHEELCOOKIESAFTERBAKING1.jpg

FALLHUGS2.jpg

HAVEAGREATEVENING.gif

FALLGOODMORNING2.gif

I made 3 pies on Saturday, took one to church and the other two are in the freezer. I won't have to bake any more pies for a while, one is for Thanksgiving and the other is for Christmas. smile Yes, I do cheat, but, it is so much easier than having to worry about making pies Christmas Eve like I use to do. I got wise and decided to freeze pies. smile

I haven't made these yet, but will be making them after Thanksgiving. smile S.K. was asking for more new recipes, so had to put this one in today. smile

CHINESE ALMOND COOKIES

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 tsp. almond extract

3 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 cup sliced almonds

1 egg white

1/2 tsp water

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and almond extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and slat; gradually add to creamed mixture.

Roll into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds.

In a small bowl, beat egg white and water. Brush over cookies. Bake at 325º for 14 - 16 minutes or until edges and bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to the wire racks. Yields: about 5 dozen.

HAVEAGOODDAY1.gifFALLHUGS2.jpg

makes note cause my other son looks like he is going back for a longer stay (Iraq) so I will have two sons and all about all I can send it cookies. Nothing else makes it in those metal cargo containers in 140 degree heat.

these are colorful and that makes a huge difference in moral for the boys.

thank you.

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

Thought I would let you all know about the cookies I made yesterday. smile

I did make the CHINESE ALMOND COOKIES and they are really good too. smile

This is before they were baked.

CHINESEALMONDCOOKIESBEFOREBAKED.jpg

Now after they are baked. smile

CHINESEALMONDCOOKIESAFTERBAKED.jpg

I got about 4 dozen out of the recipe which is earlier in the thread. smile

Now, here are some Great American Peanut Blossoms

GREAT AMERICAN PEANUT BLOSSOMS

48 Hershy Kisses

1/2 cup shortening

3/4 cup creamy peanut butter

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

2 Tab. milk

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

A bit of sugar

Heat oven to 375º Remove wrappers from chocolates.

Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add 1/3 cup sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, bakng soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.

Shape dough into 1 - inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8 - 10 minutes until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate piece into center of each cookie; cookie will crack around edges. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.

GREATAMERICANPEANUTBLOSSOMSBEFOREBA.jpg

GREATAMERICANPEANUTBLOSSOMSAFTERBAK.jpg

HAVEAWONDERFULDAY2.gif

HUGS2-1.jpg

GOODMORNING2-1.gif

Ok, I just won't put any more pictures in. HA HA HA. smile

I made two more batches yesterday, but have to type the recipes up yet. smile

I'll get them in later on today or tomorrow. smile

Just wait until you see these. smile

I know you love me or you wouldn't put up with me. smilewinklaughkickrahrahHUGS2-1.jpgHAVEAGOODDAY-1.gifHAPPYWEDNESDAY2.gif

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg again, I have had my breakfast and typed the recipes so now I will add them. smile

Here are pictures of before and after of the Brown Eyed Susan's, I didn't put the stars on before baking the first pan, but did after that and they turned out fine. smile

BROWNEYEDSUSANSBEFOREBAKING.jpg

BROWNEYEDSUSANSAFTERBAKED.jpg

Here are the Peanut Butter Cookies. smile

Enjoy. smile

PEANUTBUTTERCOOKIESBEFOREBAKED.jpg

The flour did make a mess on the cookies sheets, but that didn't hurt the cookies. smile

PEANUTBUTTERCOOKIESAFTERBAKED.jpg

HAVEAGOODDAY6-1.gif

And, I really messed up, it is not Wednesday, it is Thursday.

HAPPYTHURSDAY3.gifHUGS2-1.jpg

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg again,

I forgot to put the recipes in. frown

Ok, here is one. I typed the recipe as I have it on my recipe card.

BROW - EYED SUSAN'S

Set oven at 400º

Cream together 3/4 cup soft butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp salt.

Stir in 1 3/4 cup flour. Chill 1 hour or longer and shape into 1 inch balls, place on ungreased cookie sheets. Put/push chocolate candy stars on each cookie and bake at 400º for 8 - 10 minutes.

Makes 3 - 4 doz.

You can put any kind of candy on top that you would like. I used the chocolate stars.

Now for the Peanut Butter Cookies. smile

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 egg (beaten)

1 1/4 cup flour

3/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

Set oven at 375º

Cream butters, add sugars, add beaten egg, and mix well; add flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Chill for at least one hour. Form into balls the size of walnuts and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Press down with a fork that has been dipped in flour.

Bake at 375º until golden brown, about 8 - 10 minutes.

Makes about 3 doz.

Enjoy. smile

HAPPYTHURSDAY3.gifHAVEAGOODDAY6-1.gifHUGS2-1.jpg

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

Just thought I would come in and let you know what I baked yesterday. smile

VANILLA CHIP MAPLE COOKIES

1 cup shortening

1/2 cup butter, softened

2 cups packed brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp maple flavoring

3 cups flour

2 tsp. baking soda

2 cups vanilla or white chips

1/2 cup chopped pecans

Frosting:

1/4 cup butter, softened

4 cups powdered sugar

1 tsp. maple flavoring

4 - 6 Tab. milk

3 1/2 cups pecan halves

In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening,butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and maple flavoring. Combine the flour and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in vanilla chips and pecans.

Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350º for 8 - 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar. beat in maple flavoring and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies. Top each with a pecan half. Yield: 7 dozen

I didn't frost them, but they are good just the same. smile

Here is a before picture.

VANILLACHIPMAPLECOOKIESBEFOREBAKING.jpg

Now an after picture. smile

VANILLACHIPMAPLECOOKIESAFTERBAKED.jpg

I also baked some of these. smile

COCONUT MACAROONS

2 1/2 cups flaked coconut

1/3 cup all purpose flour

1/8 tsp salt

2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk

1 tsp. vanilla

In bowl, combine the coconut, flour and salt. Add milk and vanilla; mix well, (batter will be stiff).

Drop by tablespoonfuls 1 inch apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350º for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.

1 1/2 doz.

A before picture.

COCONUTMACAROONSBEFOREBAKING.jpg

Now the after picture. smile

COCONUTMACAROONSAFTERBAKED.jpg

Enjoy. smile

Now, with all the cookies I have made, I have not eaten more than 2 or 3 of each kind so far. smile

Isn't anyone else baking cookies or anything yet??

HAVEANICEDAYMICKYMOUSE.gifHUGS2-1.jpg

HAPPYFRIDAY7.gif

Archived