MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Baking cookies

Most of mine are frozen balls of dough... Not terribly 'drool-worthy' - LOL! Once I bake them, they disappear - somehow!

Ooh! Coconut Macaroons! Forgot about those... You don't freeze those do you? Can you freeze them without them getting all soft?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

Well, I didn't do any baking yesterday. I went down and started wrapping gifts. Then I had to get some ornaments ready to take up town. I put them in the library in their showcase. smile They have people put different collections in each month and I said I could put my Avon Ornaments in, so I did. smile

I wanted to get my baking done early as I am sending some to Old Pine's brother and his wife, and may send some to our DS and wife and family in TX., as I don't know if she will be up to baking at all, with her chemo and all. It has made her so very sick.

Well, I do suppose the lumps of dough wouldn't make such a good picture, but, then again, I take pictures of the dough before it is baked. smile

You all HAVEAWONDERFULDAY2.gifHUGS2-1.jpgHAPPYSATURDAY.gif

Oh my, all of your cookies look absolutely delish! goodpost

My favorite would be the Toffee Almond Sandies!

I love those! I still need to get started in baking sum cookies.

thanks For sharing your recipes, and cookies, w/us. wink

Oh Snowmom!

These cookies are just wonderful. I usually would have baked thousands by now...I haven't baked a single one. This year my heart just isn't in it. Maybe I'll get out of my slump and bake all of your recipes.

Anyway...For the peanut blossoms, you can also do this shortcut method. Just buy a roll of peanut butter cookie dough and roll it into balls and add the Hershey Kisses, once they are out of the oven.

I also sometimes add those mini M&M's to my macaroons and the chicks love them.

Thanks Snowmom!

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

I like the Toffee Almond Sandies too, they are really good. smile

Ok, here are a few more to think about trying too. smile

I'm happy to be able to share all of these with all of you out there. smile

Aww, Mom11, I am not one to buy the mixes or the dough, I make them all from scratch. smile But, if a person didn't have the time, that would be a great way to do it. smile

I just want to let you know that I have been baking again. Sunday, I baked since I couldn't go to church.

I baked a batch of Amish Sugar Cookies, but I forgot to save the pictures, as we were having some problem with the camera. frown I got a picture of them now. They are sooooo good. smile They melt in your mouth, almost. smile

AMISH SUGAR COOKIES

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup vegetable oil

1 cup sugar

1 cup confectioners' sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cream of tartar

Combine butter, oil and sugars in large mixing bowl; mix well. Add eggs; beat o1 minute until well blended. Add vanilla; beat well. In separated bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; add to creamed mixture, mixing well.

Drop by small teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake ate 375º for 8 - 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen

AMISHSUGARCOOKIES.jpg

Then Old Pine wanted some more Biscotti, so he did that or at least most of it. smile Here is the recipe for that one. smile I didn't get one of before, so here is the one after. smile

WHITE CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY BISCOTTI

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

4 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

3 cups flour

1 Tab. baking powder

3/4 cup dried cranberries

3/4 cup vanilla or white chips.

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in cranberries and vanilla chops. Divide dough into three portions.

On ungreased baking sheets, shape eanchportion into a 10 inchx 2 inch rectangle. Bake at 350º for 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes.

Transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 1 inch slices. Place cut slide down on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 1/2 dozen

BISCOTTIAFTERBAKED.jpg

I mixed up some Chewy Almond Cookies Sunday and baked on Monday. This is the recipe.

CHEWY ALMOND COOKIES

3 Tab. butter

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 tsp. almond extract

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 cup sliced almonds

In a mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Add egg and extracts; mix well. Combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into two 6 inch rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.

Unwrap and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350º for 7 - 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 - 3 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: 4 1/2 dozen.

Before going into the oven. smile

CHEWYALMONDCOOKIESBEFOREBAKED.jpg

After baking these cookies, I mixed up some that had to be in the refrigerator all night.

CHEWYALMONDCOOKIESAFTERBAKED.jpg

HUGS2-1.jpgHAVEAGOODDAY6-1.gifHAPPYTHURSDAY9.gif

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg again.

Tuesday I baked some of these, and are they ever good. smile You can't eat just one. smilewinksmile

SALTED PEANUT COOKIES

1 1/2 cups shortening

1 cup sugar

1 cup packed brown sugar

3 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

3 3/4 cup all purpose flour

2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1 1/2 cups salted peanuts

In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop by Tab. 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350º for 10 - 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 10 dozen

Here is the before picture. smile

SALTEDPEANUTCOOKIESBEFOREBAKING.jpg

Now the after picture. smile

SALTEDPEANUTCOOKIESAFTERBAKED.jpg

HAPPYTHURSDAY9.gifHUGS2-1.jpgHAVEAGOODDAY7-1.gif

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

I tried several times and the camera wouldn't let me keep a picture of the bread I baked. frown Then we reformatted it and it let me take more pictures. I lost a few that I didn't realize I hadn't saved already, but that happens.

I baked two kinds of bread, Tuesday night after we ate, one is a Cranberry Orange Bread, and one is Fruit Cake they both smelt good, but haven't tried either one yet. smile

I baked both of them in small pans so we could share them. smile

Here is the recipe for the Cranberry Orange Bread.

CRANBERRY ORANGE BREAD

1/4 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 tsp. grated orange peel

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp. baking soda

3/4 cup orange juice

1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries

1 cup golden raisins

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and orange peel. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with the juice. Fold in cranberries and raisins. Pour into a greased 9x5x 3 inch loaf pan.

Bake at 350º for 60 - 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.

Now, I used the 3 small pans, and baked them for about 55 minutes, and I think 50 might have been best.

CRANBERRYORANGEBREAD.jpg

===

The fruit cake, I cut the recipe in half and then put all candied fruit mix and raisins intead of all the other fruit. smile I've never made fruit cake before, so this is a first. smile

FRUIT CAKE

1/4 + 1/8 cup butter

1 1/2 cup flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp allspice

1/4 ground cloves

3 cups mixed fruit

3 cups raisins

1/2 cup almonds

1/2 cup pecans

3/4 + 1/8 cup brown sugar

2 eggs 1/2 cup orange juice

1/8 cup light mosasses

Melt butter, cool.. Into a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add candied fruits, raisins and nuts. Mix to coat fruit with dry ingredients. Beat eggs until foamy. Gradually add brown sugar, beating until well combined. Blend in orange juice, molasses and the cooled butter. Add to fruit mixture, stir until well combined. Turn batter into greased and waxed paper lined 8x4x2 1/2 inch loaf pan. Filling each about 3/4 full. Bake in 300ºF. oven for 1/3/4 to 2 hours or until done. Cool thoroughly before removing from pans.

FRUITCAKE.jpg

Here is the Banana Bread that I had baked first of all. smile

BANANABREAD1.jpg

I'll get the recipe in one of these days. smile I have to type it up yet. smile

HUGS2-1.jpgHAPPYTHURSDAY2-1.gifHAVEAGOODDAY-2.gif

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg again.

Now for some of the cookies I baked yesterday. First off it was the Cherry Snowballs.

CHERRY SNOWBALLS

1 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

1 Tab. water

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups all purpose flour

1 cup quick-cooking oats

1/2 tsp. salt

36 maraschino cherries, well drained

Coating

2 cups confectioners' sugar

1/4 to 1/3 cup milk

2 cups flaked coconut, finely chopped

In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, water and vanilla. Combine flour, oats and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.

Shape a tablespoonful of dough around each cherry, forming a ball. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350º for 18 - 20 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Combine sugar and enough milk to achieve smooth dipping consistency. Dip cookies, then roll in coconut. Yield: 3 dozen.

Before put in the oven. smile

CHERRYSNOWBALLSBEFOREBEINGBAKED.jpg

Now, after baked, and with coconut on them. smile

CHERRYSNOWBALLSAFTERBAKEDROLLEDINCO.jpg

Then came the Chocolate Snowballs.

CHOCOLATE SNOWBALLS

3/4 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg

2 tsp. vanilla extract

2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup chopped nuts

1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla; mix well.

Combine flour and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Fold in nuts and chips. Roll into 1 inch balls.

Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350º for 15 - 20 minutes. Cool cookies slightly before rolling in confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 4 dozen.

Before and after pictures. smile

CHOCOLATESNOWBALLSBEFOREBAKING.jpg

CHOCOLATESNOWBALLSAFTERBAKED.jpg

Then I made some Chip Topped Butter Cookies, oh by the way don't believe what they say about how many you can get out of a batch. I think I got around 20 out of this.

CHIP TOPPED BUTTER COOKIES

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/4 cup sugar

1 cup all purpose flour

2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Confectioners' sugar, optional

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add flour and beat until well mixed. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make a wide indentation in the center of each ball; fill with five chocolate chips.

Bake at 350º for 12 - 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar. If desired. Yield: 3 dozen

Before and after pictures.

CHIPTOPPEDBEFOREBAKING1.jpg

CHIPTOPPEDBUTTERCOOKIES.jpg

So there you have it, this is up dated now. I think I have them all in here. smile

HAVEAGREATDAY3-1.gifHAPPYTHURSDAY9.gifHUGS2-1.jpg

I tried the peanut butter cookies...they lasted all of 30 minutes! Now DH wants me to try the chinese almond ones, so I will be baking those today. Great cookies and great recipes snowy! Keep em comin'!

Q

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

I didn't do any baking yesterday at all. But, I want to get more done today. smile

One of the reasons I'm sending some to our DS and his wife is that she is having chemo treatments and is really sick and I know she isn't up to baking, so thought I'd do some for them. smile Then, of course, this is what we are sending Old Pine's brother and wife for Christmas too. smile I'm sending just a few to our DD and then a few more to one of my nieces who is in the nursing home. She is about 5 -6 hours from us so haven't seen her in a very long time now. frown

Glad your family liked the Peanut Butter cookies. smile The ones I like are the first ones I made the Toffee Almond Sandies and then the Peanut Cookies are sooooo good too. smile Of course I think I like all of them. smile

HUGS2-1.jpgHAVEAGOODDAY-2.gifHAPPYFRIDAY4.gif

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

Come on over any time. smile Just let me know you are coming. smile

Well, I did bake yesterday and one thing that I baked was Frosted Cashew Cookies, but I didn't frost them. smile The recipe is next and then the pictures. smile

FROSTED CASHEW COOKIES

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

2 cups all purpose flour

3/4 tsp. baking soda

3/4 tsp. salt

1 3/4 cups salted cashew halves

BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING

1/2 cup butter

3 Tab. half and half cream

1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

2 cups confectioners' sugar

Additional cashew halves, optional

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Beat in egg, sour cream and vanilla; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in the cashews. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375º for 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

For the frosting, lightly brown butter in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat; add cream and vanilla. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth and thick. Frost the cookies. Top each cookie with a cashew h half if desired. Yield: about 3 dozen.

CASHEWCOOKIES.jpg

CASHEWCOOKIESAFTERBAKED.jpg

HAVEAGOODDAY7-1.gifHUGS2-1.jpg

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

Ok, now I am showing you the Pumpkin Bread I baked. smile

I made 3 small loaves and q large one. Here is the recipe, then the pictures.

Ingredients3 cups sugar

1 cup vegetable oil

3 large eggs

1 16-ounce can solid pack pumpkin

3 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

PreparationPreheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Beat sugar and oil in large bowl to blend. Mix in eggs and pumpkin. Sift flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and baking powder into another large bowl. Stir into pumpkin mixture in 2 additions. Mix in walnuts, if desired.

Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool 10 minutes. Using sharp knife, cut around edge of loaves. Turn loaves out onto racks and cool completely.

SMALLPUMPKINBREAD.jpg

LARGEPUMPKINBREAD.jpg

HUGS2-1.jpg

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

I also made some bars.

COCONUT CRANBERRY BARS

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs ( about 24 squares)

1/2 cup butter, melted

1 1/2 cups vanilla or white chips

1 1/2 cups dried cranberries

1 can ( 14 ounces ) sweetened condensed milk

1 cup flaked coconut

1 cup pecan halves

Combine cracker crumbs and butter; press into a greased 13 inch x 9 inch x 2 inch baking pan. In a bowl combine the remaining ingredients; mix well. Gently spread over crust.

Bake at 350º for 25 - 28 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.

CRANBERRYBARS.jpg

HUGS2-1.jpgHAVEAGOODDAY3-1.gif

GOODMORNINGSNOWMANSETTINGDOWN.gif

Well, I did get some things made yesterday, so am adding them here. smile

First off I made some Raspberry Ribbons recipe is first than the picture. smile

RASPBERRY RIBBONS

1 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla

2/1/4 cups flour

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup raspberry jam

Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar

2 Tab. evaporated milk

1/2 tsp vanilla

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Divide dough into four portions; shape each into a 10 inch by 2 1/2 inch log. Place 4 inches apart on greased or foil-lined baking sheets. Makes a 1/2 inch depression down the center of each log. Bake at 350º for 10 minutes.

Fill depression with jam. Bake 10 - 15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes. Remove to a cutting board; cut into 3/4 inch slices. Place on wire racks.

In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over warm cookies. Cool completely. Yield: about 5 dozen.

RASPBERRYBARS.jpg

Next is a pan of Peanut Butter Bars, first the recipe than the picture. smile

PEANUT BUTTER BARS

1/2 cup Crisco shortening, (it says butter flavored)

1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar

2/3 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven at 350º. Grease 13x9x2 inch baking pan.

Combine shortening, brown sugar and peanut butter in large bowl.. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla.

Combine four and salt. Add alternately with milk to creamed mixture at low speed. Beat until well blended. Spread in pan.

Bake 289 - 32 minutes or until golden brown and center is set. Cool in pan on wire rack. Top with frosting or glaze, if desired. Cut into 21/4 x 1 1/2 inch bars. Makes 32 bars.

Frosting:

Chocolate Dream Frosting:

Combine 2 Tab. shortening, 1 cup miniature marshmallows, 1 square, (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate and 3 Tab. milk in medium microwave-safe bowl. Cover with waxed paper.

Microwave at 50%. Stir after 1 minute. Repeat until smooth (or melt on rangetop in medium saucepan on low hear). Stir in 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar. Beat until well blended. Spread over top. Sprinkle 1/4 cup finely chopped peanuts over frosting. Set aside until frosting is firm. Cut into bars.

There are more frostings, but this is the one I'm using. smile

This recipe came from: "The Brand Name Cooking Collection" that I got from the library in town. smile

PEANUTBUTTERBARS.jpg

I am not getting to go to church this morning,as it is way to cold for me to get out alone. So may do more baking, not sure yet. smile We had -30º when Old Pine left for work this morning and only about -15º now.

HAVEAGOODDAY-2.gif

HAPPYSUNDAY10gif.gifHUGS2-1.jpg

How are you storing all these cookies?

The reason I wait to make the rest of my cookies, is because I'm not sure how long they will stay fresh. Can you store them in Decorative tins.

Thanks,

Goodness, those all look so great ! I need to try a couple of those, especially the raspberry ones look good to me.

I make gumdrop cookies just like the cashew ones, but it takes 2 lb. of diced fruit gumdrops instead. I don't ice them, either. The recipe is the same for the batter, though.

Thanks for posting your pictures. MMMM, good !

GOODMORNINGSNOWMANSETTINGDOWN.gif Right now I have mine in the freezer or in the garage in Tupperware or other plastic containers, as I want them to be as fresh as possible when they get them. I figured by freezing them and packing them on Wednesday just before shipping them, they will stay fresher longer. smile

YOURWELCOMEBEARONCLOUD.gif

I'm happy to post the recipes and pictures. smile

HAVEAGOODDAY-2.gifHUGS2-1.jpg

Archived