MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Beef stew and canner lid

Evergreen

Here is a picture of my Beef Stew With Vegatables. I used the Blue Ball Book recipe but I switched fresh green snap beans for the celery -also there is lots of meat in there even though it did not show in the pictures! I canned 7 quarts banana

Well I hope the picture will show up this is my first try.

1091-100_1542.JPG

It worked!!! clap Not only did I can 7 quarts of Beef Stew- I learned to post a picture!!!

Here is my canner lid- I am posting these to ask about the buttons in the lid.

The one visable from the outside of the lid does not move at all. It is on the top side of the lid -as in I realize the one in the middle is the vent pipe(Any ideas of why it is there???)

The one near the handle on the inside seems to be connicted to a lock on the handle. The canner was leaking steam form this area when the steam first started to build than it stopped (leaking).

Does everything look ok?

This is a Mirro M-0512 12 quart

1092-100_1543.JPG

1093-100_1544.JPG

Your jars are absolutely stunning! Kudos to you!

That black plug looking thing on your lid is your emergency vent plug...in case something were to go wrong, instead of blowing the lid off the canner, that plug would pop at a high enough pressure and safely release the pressure on the inside of the canner.

I'm not sure what that thang is on the inside of your lid...perhaps it's like you say and has something to locking the connection.

Regardless it all looks awesome to me...congrats!

If I'm not mistaken, the button with the wing nut thingy on the your lid is a safety valve. If something goes wrong, it will pop off and let the pressure out instead of the lid blowing off. I'm not sure about the other flat one.

Your beef stew looks wonderful!

Great beef stew, you did good.

Okay, I just got an old Mirro canner given to me, and it has a book with it. I think the part we did not recognize is the Lift Pin Assembly. "As pressure increases and decreases inside cooker, lift pin moves lock lever in handle" per booklet.

You can order a booklet, or if you like, I will copy and send the basics to you. LMK

Originally Posted By: Violet
Now, where is the homemade bread to go with it ?

I made 2 loaves -but they are both already gone!

Making the bread at the smae time - the kneeding was great therapy for me nerves worring if I was canning right!

edited to add- boy that canner lid needs to be scrubed with a SOS pad or something! Closeups reviel the darndest (or dirtest) things!!!

thanks

The manual is a big help -though it is for a newer canner.

BTW- it does mention a RED plug. My plug is black but the newer ones must be red.

And Thanks for all the encouragment on my stew! Makes me want to do more. Now I just need to figure out what I am going to can next week! I feel like this is a way I can add to my preps each week in between times when I am adding grains and other things.

Chili is a good thing to can. That or dried beans. I find they make the best refried beans. You have to can them whole, but mash after opening. Have fun !!

All I see is a red pin that goes in the center of the plug.

Not that it matters, but I like to keep up on all the brands of things for information.

Thanks for the link Pogo! I think I'm going to go ahead and order a new gasket while they still have them. I don't need it now but if/when I do it will be here. I've had my canner since the 70's and am only on my second gasket. I don't want to start out canning only to discover I need a new one and they won't get any cheaper.

I store it in the lid when not in use to keep it good and straight. Usually the first canning of the year I have to heat the canner up, then remove the lid (no pressure built up) readjust the lid, then it's good to go. I think the gasket needs to warm up and soften and stretch to make a good fit. Yep, I just decided, I'm going to order one. Wow, that was a pretty long winded 'thanks.' blush

Originally Posted By: Jeepers
Thanks for the link Pogo! I think I'm going to go ahead and order a new gasket while they still have them. I don't need it now but if/when I do it will be here. I've had my canner since the 70's and am only on my second gasket. I don't want to start out canning only to discover I need a new one and they won't get any cheaper.

I store it in the lid when not in use to keep it good and straight. Usually the first canning of the year I have to heat the canner up, then remove the lid (no pressure built up) readjust the lid, then it's good to go. I think the gasket needs to warm up and soften and stretch to make a good fit. Yep, I just decided, I'm going to order one. Wow, that was a pretty long winded 'thanks.' blush

thanks Yes. what she said!!!! Thanks Pogo- and I am goign ot order another gasket too! Thanks everybody for all the help and encouragment!!!!
canning
Originally Posted By: Evergreen
thanks
The manual is a big help -though it is for a newer canner.

BTW- it does mention a RED plug. My plug is black but the newer ones must be red.

And Thanks for all the encouragment on my stew! Makes me want to do more. Now I just need to figure out what I am going to can next week! I feel like this is a way I can add to my preps each week in between times when I am adding grains and other things.

You’re welcome, Evergreen! Home canning is an excellent way to add to your food storage.

Originally Posted By: Jeepers

You’re welcome, Jeepers! lol Be as long winded as you want.
Having extra gaskets on hand is a great idea.

Originally Posted By: Evergreen
thanks Yes. what she said!!!! Thanks Pogo- and I am goign ot order another gasket too! Thanks everybody for all the help and encouragment!!!!
canning

lol You’re welcome!

I just ordered a new sealing ring gasket and overpresure plug for my Presto 18 Qt. Canner from Presto site, gopresto.com.

I had ordered the regulater a while back so that I don't have to rely on the dial guage.

I discovered that my canner has been discontinued. shocked I was going to order these spare parts anyway, but now I'm really glad I did. Only $16.80 with S&H. I expect shipping prices for everything to rise along with gas in the days to come, so another good reason to get it now.

I should be good to go for quite a while now. My canner is only about a year old, so I expect the existing gasket to last quite a while. They are good for years, aren't they?

Cricket, that is something they already discontinued that size !

I have been wondering if in bad times if we can use gasket material like they use in automobiles. Just a thought. I will have to ask my husband about it. Maybe we could run some silicone around it, too. Hey, just trying to be creative in case of emergency. Not sure silicone will take the heat.

My experience with the gaskets is that they last for years. I think I have only replaced mine once in about 30 plus years.

Archived