MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Vanilla Sugar

I've never done it but our exchange student from the Netherland's said they do it all the time. Actually, her parents sent us little packets about the size of the little envelope a tea bag comes in. Quite cute really!

Our new member, Christy, can probably tell you all about it but then again maybe not. It's been 30 years ago that Marta was here and things do change. smile

I've routinely stored my vanilla beans in the sugar jar. The sugar doesn't pick up all that much scent that way, but it does pick up some--and the vanilla is never hard to find!

Our Costco sells a double package of vanilla beans--in two glass vials. I think you get around 10 beans, not sure. And sorry, I don't remember the cost but I do remember getting them because they were way cheaper than anywhere else I had seen them.

I saw them in Wal-Mart last week, but they were outrageously expensive. I like to get mine from the local food co-op. Expensive, but I know where the money goes.

They have Vanilla beans at Spices Etc but they were almost $24 for 10 beans...I remember that the Costco ones were around $11 for that amount. (getting old...can't remember things as fast lately, LOL)

I got a pound of the most freshest vanilla beans I've ever seen on ebay for about $35.

There's over 50 vanilla beans in there...that beats $6-8 at the grocery store for 1.

I did the vanilla sugar thing. I saw two vials of about 10 or more whole beans each for $10 at Costco! What a deal! I cut & scraped the beans and added them to my sugar box. This really made a nice difference when I made a fridge cheesecake - very very smooth and vanilla tasting!

Great to hear Susie! As a matter of fact, I just put my bean in my sugar jar this morning!

Actually, I took one long bean and cut into 4 pieces. I took a 1/2 gallon canning jar and put 3 cups of sugar and the bean pieces in. In a couple of weeks I'll do the same thing in a smaller jar then add it to the bigger jar. I figured I'd do it that way so my 1/2 gallon size jar will stay full. It already smells lovely.

The only problem with little bean pieces is that you have to catch them when they try to escape as you pour or scoop out the sugar.

PS If you use this sugar for coffee, you might have to warn any guests who might not be used to the flavour that the sugar imparts.

These are big bean pieces! They are about 2 inches long each. I was thinking by cutting them I would expose more of the vanilla flavor. I still have one large bean left. I think I'm really going to like the sugar in tea.

The British will tell you to use one of the beans from your sugar jar in the milk that you heat for puddings...then just pull out and dry off the bean and stick it back into the sugar.

I suppose that if you want lots of flavour, you could cut the bean open lengthwise and scrape out the black gooey bit to use for recipes...that's what one of our local resturants does.

I cut my vanilla beans into thirds and opened them, scraped them, and added the insides to the sugar...mmmmmmmm decadence! It did make the cheesecake speckled though...but when I told my husband it was 'just vanilla bean' the dessert disappeared!

yumyum

I've also rubbed the sugar off a bean and added it to a recipe...yuuummmmm yahoo

Archived