MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The kids want a snack and you cannot go to the store

Send 'em outside to graze??? Purslane

rofl

Popcorn!!

homemade drop biscuits and honey/jam/jelly

no-bake cookies

warm rice with either maple syrup or milk and sugar (like warm cereal)

Flour Tortilla Recipe

http://www.texasrollingpins.com/tortillarecipe.html

I love flour tortillas spread with a tad of butter and cinnamon/sugar then toasted.

I also like to make pie filling (apple is really good) and put a few spoonfuls on a flour tortilla, fold it over and fry in butter. Fry on one side and turn it over to brown the other side. Good hot or cold.

We do lots of popcorn (so much that I'm going to buy some seeds to try and grow my own!)

I really want to try those homemade tortillas since I just ordered 'refried bean flakes' rofl

Peanut butter on saltines or graham crackers! (Just ordered powdered peanut butter too).

I could pass out some of the frozen blueberries in the freezer, haven't tried that yet.

Fruit is always a big hit here, fresh or canned, they love it.

no bake cookies! everything you need should be stored in your pantry!

dehydrated fruit

fruit salad! posted the recipe in store what you eat thread

We came back from seeing a movie and my 16yo son was just putting brownies made from scratch into the oven.

Being a lazy person, I taught 16yo and 13yo sons to cook and showed them the cookbooks and how to look up recipes.

Of course I'm a bit irritated they are running the oven in 85 degree heat and humidity...

ok... have to switch computers.. Humphry has all the files... not named yet (laptop) doesn't have a thing.

there are several recipes.. most are the same but have varying amounts. I am posting them all to show if you don't have 3 cups of oats.. using 2 is fine! just add a little less of something else.

Use powdered milk.. it makes evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and so on.

The first time I made these I got the recipe out of cooking with home storage.

so here are the recipes.

Nobakecookies

No-Bake Oatmeal Cocoa Cookies

INGREDIENTS:

* 3 cups rolled oats

* 1 cup chopped nuts, lightly toasted (optional)

* 2 cups granulated sugar

* 1/2 cup evaporated milk

* 1/2 cup cocoa powder

* 1/2 cup butter

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

PREPARATION:

Cover a large surface with waxed paper. Combine oats and optional nuts in a bowl and set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa and evaporated milk. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Let boil for 2 minutes, while continuing to stir. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Once butter is melted, pour in oatmeal mixture. Combine completely. Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper covered surface. Once cool, store in airtight container.

No-Bake Oatmeal Bar

* 1/2 cup butter

* 1/2 cup brown sugar

* 1/2 cup orange juice

* 3 tablespoons wheat germ

* 2 cups rolled oats

* 1 cup flake coconut

* 1/2 cup chopped nuts

* 1/4 cup sesame seeds

Here is a recipe for no bake cookies. It does say nuts...but skip them and add more seeds if you want. Some kids with peanut allergies also have other nut allergies.

Melt the butter in a medium sized sauce pot. Add the brown sugar and orange juice and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the wheat germ, oats, coconut, nuts and sesame seeds and mix well. Spread the mixture into a 9" square glass baking dish and refrigerate until hard. Cut into squares and eat!

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Oat Drop Cookies

* 1/2 cup milk

* 1 1/2 cup sugar

* 3 Tbl. cocoa

Bring to a boil and cook for 1 full minute. Remove from heat and add:

* 1/2 cup peanut butter

* 1 t vanilla

* 3 cups oats

Stir and drop on wax paper. Cool for at least 30 minutes.

3-Minute No-Bake Cookies

Makes about 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients

2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine or butter

1/2 cup 2% milk

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

3 cups QUAKER® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)

In large saucepan, combine sugar, margarine, milk and cocoa. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Continue boiling 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in oats; mix well. Quickly drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper or greased cookie sheet. Let stand until set. Store tightly covered at room temperature.

Yummy No-Bake Cinnamon Rolls for Kids

"These cinnamon sugar rolls are a quick snack kids can make all by themselves."

INGREDIENTS

* 2 slices white bread, crusts removed

* 2 tablespoons butter

* 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar

* 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

* 1/8 teaspoon water, or as needed

DIRECTIONS

1. Roll the bread slices until very flat. Butter the bread, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Starting on one side, roll up the bread slice until tight. Repeat with the second bread slice. Cut the bread rolls into 1 inch slices.

2. Mix the confectioners' sugar with the water in a small bowl to make a thin frosting. Drizzle frosting over the bread slices, and serve.

To hold them together, i inserted toothpicks lengthwise until it was time to eat them.

Can be warmed.

How to Make No Bake Cookies

1. In a large saucepan combine one stick (1/2 cup or 113g(butter)) of butter or margarine, 1/2 cup of milk, 2 cups sugar, and 1/2 cup cocoa.

2. Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture comes to a full rolling boil.

3. Boil exactly one minute and remove from heat.

4. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring, 1/2 cup peanut butter, and 2 cups uncooked oats. Mix well.

5. Pour mixture into a well greased dish. Let cool.

6. Cut into bars and enjoy. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to a week.

* A rolling boil is a boil that does not stop bubbling when stirred. A quick way to grease the dish the mixture will be poured into is to spray it with cooking spray.

Warnings

* Watch your time carefully! Once mixture comes to a rolling boil it is essential to cook exactly 60 seconds and remove from heat. Five or ten seconds too long and the cookies will be dry and powdery, five or ten seconds too little and the cookies will be runny and won't harden properly.

] Things You'll Need

* 1 stick (1/2 cup or 113g(butter)) of butter or margarine

* 1/2 cup milk

* 2 cups sugar

* 1/2 cup cocoa

* 2 teaspoons vanilla

* 1/2 cup peanut butter

* 2 cups oats

Easy Cocoa Coconut Balls

An easy no-bake treat, made with cocoa and coconut, along with sweetened condensed milk and confectioners' sugar.

INGREDIENTS:

* 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

* 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa

* 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk

* 3 teaspoons vanilla extract

* 1 can (3 1/2 ounces) flaked coconut, about 1 1/3 cups

* 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional

PREPARATION:

In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa; stir in the sweetened condensed milk and the vanilla, mixing thoroughly. The mixture will be quite stiff. Stir or knead in coconut and nuts, if using.

Chill the mixture for about 30 minutes, then shape into 1-inch balls. Chill balls for at least 2 hours, or until firm. Store in tightly covered containers.

Makes about 5 dozen 1-inch balls.

No-Bake Cookies

These no-bake cookies are made with oats and chocolate, along with optional peanut butter and other ingredients. Scroll down to see more no bake cookie recipes.

INGREDIENTS:

* 4 ounces butter or margarine

* 1/2 cup milk

* 2 cups sugar

* 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

* 3 to 4 tablespoons peanut butter, optional

* 3 cups oats, quick or old-fashioned

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

PREPARATION:

Place chocolate chips, peanut butter (if used), oats, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Combine the margarine, milk, and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute. Combine the hot mixture with the oatmeal and chocolate chip mixture; stir well.

Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.

Thanks Westie. I can even eat some of them!

All week I've been snacking on these rice crackers. These are addictive, but don't taste like "store" rice crackers. Hey, if anyone has a recipe for the store-like variety, could they post? I decided that close to $3 for about 3.5 oz of crackers is just beyond budget.

Rice Crackers

1 1/2 cups brown rice flour

2/3 cup cooked brown rice

1 tablespoons flax seeds (optional)

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 cup oil (coconut, safflower, olive, etc.)

1/3 to 1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil large baking sheet. In bowl or food processor, mix flour, rice, flax seeds, salt, and oil until combined. Add water a little at a time until dough holds together. Pour onto floured surface and knead a few times to form a ball. Press or roll dough on baking sheet. Score into 1 1/2-inch squares. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until bottoms are golden brown. Cool before removing from pan.

Yield: about 3 dozen

From

http://www.mothering.com/sections/recipes/crackers.html

Some of the ideas that came to mind have already been mentioned. I will just add peanut butter on apples or, if wanting to quench a sweet tooth, mix up your favorite pie crust recipe, roll out, and cut with cookie cutter. Bake for just a few minutes, then spread one round with homemade jam or jelly and top with a second pie crust round. Yummy!

genoa,

the pie crust... as a child my grandmother made these from the left over dough which she always made more then needed! she made them square which when folded was a triangle for strawberry jam and square for peach. Little pies!

then the left over, now tough because it was rolled out yet again..

she sprinkled raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg and similar spices she had, a little butter, rolled and sliced or if not enough to make cinnamon rolls just laid on a cookie sheet and baked.

what great treats!

thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Yeah, Westie, that's how I've always made them for my kids---as leftovers from pie making. But it occurred to me the other day that there would certainly be no reason why I couldn't just make a bit of pie crust dough in order to make these. I learned to do this from my mom, who would also use her leftover pie dough to make the little "jam sandwiches" for us. I often preferred those to the actual pie.

By the way, you left a message, with links to other information, on a thread where I had submitted a question about making bread with all whole wheat flour that wasn't a brick, which led to asking how to handle a very wet bread dough. I did go back and read all the links and appreciated all the information you so generously provided. It just happened that your post was the same day my mom unexpectedly ended up in the hospital ICU for an extended period of time and I didn't get back to the thread to respond again. Just wanted you to know your answer was appreciated---as are so many of the posts you contribute to that I read but don't necessarily post a comment on.

When my younger son was small, his favorite snack was a half-sandwich of peanut butter with a few miniature chocolate chips. When that became a chocolate chip sandwich with enough peanut butter to glue them to the bread, I got less interested in stocking chocolate chips. Now he makes popcorn daily.

did I mention popped wheat?

POPPED WHEAT

Here is a great snack recipe that uses whole unground wheat and stores very well. You can eat it as is or sprinkle on a few salads. Take 1 cup soaked and cooked whole wheat kernels (cooked just about 30 minutes -- not until split) and drain very well. (You may even wish to dry it off with a towel.) Heat cooking oil to 360 degrees. Deep fry a small portion at a time, about 6 tbsp for 30-45 seconds or until golden brown and popping sound is done. Immediately remove from oil with a strainer and place on a paper towel to cool. The wheat will not pop like popcorn, in fact some kernels may not pop at all but will be very crispy and golden. Season to taste with salt, onion salt, garlic salt, barbecue salt, or dust with powdered ranch dressing. Cool completely and store in a glass jar. If desired, add to dried fruit and chocolate chips for a great trail mix!

from http://www.waltonfeed.com/self/wheat.html

many many more recipes!

have I ever mentioned how much I think is worth storing?

recommended for wheat storers... a book..

"passport to survival"! the authors may be different from one generation to another.. because a grandmother wrote it and now the granddaughter is updating.

(mine is by Ester Dickey, but the new one is being done by her grand daughter... different name.. same book)

this book is when you store 4 items... wheat, sugar (honey.. sugar is easier to store then honey), powdered milk, shortening or oil.. (shortening lasts longer in a sealed container then oil)

this is my long, long term storage plan.. wheat. for me this is when life has gone beyond a year or two.

ok.. got side tracked .. back on track now.

thanks Westie, that's going on my list of "buy soon" items. I had never heard of it.

As a side note, when I googled it, one of the search results was a thread hear on MrsS from a while back. I didn't realize our threads were open to googlers.

Archived