MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My Wife and the Moose

OldMaineBear

Well, my dear good wife had a run in with a Maine moose the other night coming home.

On one of the darkest parts of the trip and one of the fastest parts too mind you, she saw a looming darkness ahead with what appeared to be four legs.

Now for those of you from away who have never seen a moose at night, it is a daunting prospect. They blend in with the darkness, their eyes do not glow like a deer’s eyes do. You are driving along and suddenly there is a huge mass of moose in your lap. Every year people are killed and seriously injured from them. A woman where my wife works was coming home last year from Christmas shopping and their car hit a moose. Her husband was killed instantly. She and the two children were not hurt, but they lost husband and Father. I had one bolt across in front of me one night and I was amazed myself at how dark they were. I was fortunate that he chose to do this from under a street light so I got a glimpse of him, but when he left the lighted area, he almost disappeared running straight down the highway.

My wife does not drive very fast. She worked as an EMT on an ambulance and she always said that job tends to slow your driving down from the things she saw.

The moose froze just off the side of the road and she came to a slow roll as the moose then decides to take off. He actually bounced off the side of her car, fortunately doing no damage. She drove home very shaken from that and when she got home she came right to me and hugged me. I knew something had happened as she usually stops in the kitchen and unloads whatever she has bought and chats away about her day. This time she was quiet and came right to me shaking still. All she could talk about was this huge animal looming over the top of her Toyota. Had she been any faster things may have been more serious.

So if you chance to drive at night where there may be moose. Beware and be aware of movement.

I'm glad she avoided serious mishap!!She must have been terrified!

Several years ago, DH assisted with a car vs. Moose accident. A gentleman in a Toyota(?--little car, anyway) went under the beast on the highway. It looked like a can opener had been taken to that car! Thankfully the critter landed in the back seat and the driver escaped with only minor injuries.

GOODMORNINGPUPPYINBOX.gif

OMB, I am so glad your wife was ok and that no damage was done to the car. I'm sure she was shaken. bighug

I know that deer are hit all the time up in this area, and the do a lot of damage to the car/van/truck whatever hit them. As small as they are what would a moose do to the same car/van or pickup. I wouldn't want to find out.

HUGSMOUSEINSUGAR.gifHAVEAGOODDAY1.gif

((((((oldmainebear))))))

I am so glad that your beautiful wife is OK--how scary!!! I have never seen a moose in the wild, but I have A LOT of experience with cows and horses. They can be very dangerous, because of their size. Is there anything you can do to avoid the danger, other than not driving? We have those huge "cattle guards" no our pickups(the kind that work, not the kind for prety). They can help a lot, when hitting a cow, horse, or deer. I know if she drives a car, there is probably not much she could do. shrug SCARY!!!

That must have been terrifying! I'm so glad she's okay. I've never had to deal with a moose but we do have a lot of deer in MS. They can really mess up a vehicle. I'm just glad she's okay.

In our area stores deer warning devices are sold. They come two in a pkg. and aren't but a few dollars,perhaps they would warn moose away too. They look like a tiny horn,we don't hear the noise they make but the animals do and stay away.You can install them on the bumper or fenders,they have peel & stick on them.My husband hit a deer with his truck a couple years ago & it sure messed it up so we put these on our vehicles. Any auto store will have them.Thankful your wife was okay,my husband wasn't hurt either.

Thanks for all the great thoughts.

She has gotten fairly well over it. She is extra cautious in the area now as the moose is a resident of the swamp behind the area she was driving.

The little horn things do not bother moose. They are too big and dumb to be bothered by anything like a whistle. Works on deer though.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad she is ok, Bear! I've taco'd my truck on a little doe once, and that did enough damage! I can only imagine the damage a moose could inflict, especially since the weight is elevated more than other critters.

Archived