MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

You Might Be A Pack Rat if...

cookiejar

You might be a pack rat if...

You have a two car garage and can only fit one car in.

It's not a junk drawer. It's a junk ROOM. (Hey, so I'm not the only one.)

You can only live in 1/4 of your house.

You actually think you'll wear that ugly piece of clothing one day.

You don't throw things away because every time you do, you need them a week later.

You kept your kid's clothes so long your grandchildren or great granchildren can wear them.

There are newspapers that are over 20 years old in your basement, and Ann Landers looks so young!

Your car has more stuff than your garage.

Your taxes are perfect because you actually do keep every receipt.

You've ever raided someone elses' recycle bin.

You have only 3 tiny things in yours cause you can reuse just about anything.

You've dempsty dumpster dived and actually told others how to do it.

You Might Be A Pack Rat.....

1)If you have all the clothes from your first childs layette and he's 39 years old! laughkick (I am sooo guilty).

2)If you save all the zippers, buttons, hooks & eyes < & snaps from the old clothes your getting rady to use as rags... (after you cut out all the "quiltable" pieces that is).

3) You get on your granddaughter to clean her room because it's a mess, and your daughter gets on you to clean your's too. lalala

We could keep this going for week.... come on ladies and gents... what are some of you're deep hidden pack rat secrets????

If you:

--collect dryer lint and candle stubs.......well, you know why!

--save phone books [hey, they use less space than stacks of newpapers] for alternative TP

--hoard egg shells [toast and feed back to the poultry; add to the garden; .....it's nearly pure calcium]

--recycle old clothes for bandages...don't forget the cuffs, seams, and bindings for tying off a bandage.

--buy a big calendar one year and skip the next year cuz you can use the back of each page and make your own.

--have so MANY canning jar rings that you have strings hanging from the ceiling to the floor [in some outta the way corner, of course lol ] with a wooden spoon tied to the floor end. [thread the rings thru the length of spoon and onto the string. When the spoon is sideways, the rings stay on the string. ]

--have flours, sugar, beans, etc in recycled fruit juice plastic bottles

--have [feed] sacks full of plastic soda bottles....cuz dh drinks them and someone else thinks they will be useful..... [well, yeah but hundreds? whistling ]

--have a room called a garage...er, well, the car has NEVER been in there.....cuz ya know....you have other stuff!

--are known by your first name at every local thrift store [and they're thinking of naming a discount sale after you.]

--store stuff in your bedroom and sleep in the walk-in closet [sheeeeesh, I might if I had a nice large walk-in closet.... laughkick ]

--if you don't need the legs on your beds, chairs or tables. [cuz there are cases of things propping everything up anyway.]

--construct fake walls to store more stuff

--build a miniature Christmas snow village on a sheet-covered hill.....and the 'hill' hides a bunch of tote storage boxes that you didn't have anywhere else to put before the party. [ *I* didn't actually do that one....but someone did!!! laugh ]

--feel that the BEST BUY you've had in a while is large plastic totes for only $5.....in the Christmas closeouts....bright RED, of course.

MtRider [hey.....just check out my siggy name...... queen of packrattedness ]

...you have pretty much anything for any project... *IF* you can find it!! rollingeyes

...you take notes from other pack rats for future reference...

Oh dear, I shouldn't have opened this thread. I just reminded myself of how sick I really am. Thanks a lot.

I saw on TV that 40% of all Americans, who have a garage, can't use it to park a car in because of too much junk being stored in there. I have a 2 car garage and thank goodness I only have 1 car or else I'd be another statistic. Having below zero wind chills and feet of snow is a good motivator.

Mt Rider,

Thanks for the canning jar rings storage tip. I've been wondering what to do with my growing collection. I just can't bring myself to throw any of them.

I didn't do too well on this test. I'm only a junior pack rat, but I'm learning from all of you pros!

Originally Posted By: Homemaker
Mt Rider,
Thanks for the canning jar rings storage tip. I've been wondering what to do with my growing collection. I just can't bring myself to throw any of them.

Hear, hear! As soon as I can figure out which one of my wooden spoons to "sacrifice", I'm there. Though a wooden dowel would work too, and since we never through anything out, there should be a piece of one in the basement...

Ummmm... Does it count if you have a 2 car garage, and can't park any of your cars in it?

Quote:
Mt Rider,

Hear, hear! As soon as I can figure out which one of my wooden spoons to "sacrifice", I'm there. Though a wooden dowel would work too, and since we never through anything out, there should be a piece of one in the basement...
_________

LOL.... a further Packrat tip on that one: If you have over a couple feet of canning rings, it will get heavy and difficult to move enough of them UP the string to get some off the spoon at the bottom. It might [still have to try this when I get "spare" time...yeah, right] work better to have a couple wooden spoons to keep the weight in sections. Or have more than one string of them and limit the length. I have one for wide mouth and one string for regular size. The regular has about 3 feet of rings on it. laugh

===============

--Saves cereal boxes [split and flattened] ....for homemade binder dividers, kids crafts, signs, mailing stiffeners, making doll furniture, making homemade games, etc
--Saves cereal box wax liners....for sandwiches, or whatnot
--Saves straws from soft drinks
--Saves plastic ware from eating out.
--Saves chopsticks from eating out
--Saves the tiny packets of moisture absorbers [NOT the O2 absorbers in meat or other packets] to reuse in home dehydrated containers.
--Saves bubble wrap for future packaging needs...but also to attach to little-used windows for insulation in frigid winters OR for all windows in case of power outage. [can't see out but light does get in.]
--Saves plastic (or the now-valuable metal) coffee cans for feed grain scoops and many other grand uses.
--Saves oatmeal boxes simply because it is against packrat rules not to... blush
--Saves egg cartons even tho one's duck eggs do not FIT in chicken egg cartons shrug

A Packrat's phone number is on every Vacation Bible School craft teacher's speed dial. busted

A Packrat hangs decorative baskets everywhere ....and they are full of....THINGS!

Packrats are so totally organized with each nail, fastener, nut, bolt, screw, washers, tacks, fence staples, etc in properly labeled plastic pill bottles [from vitamins, etc] star (Packrat wannabes have the plastic pill bottles but they are only filled with the intent&plans of the wannabe. LOL ) Of course the aforementioned fasteners, etc are mostly recycled too!

Packrats must begin rigorous training as toddlers - spending hours putting puzzles together. This is in preparation of a life spent TRYING TO HIDE JUST HOW M-U-C-H ONE HAS COLLECTED.

MtRider [ a child prodigy in puzzles....... curtsey ....or so said my doting great aunties.... laughkick ]

I was raised by a pack rat. My Mom was a Bible school teacher, a sunday school teacher and a pre-school teacher. That made for a lot of stuff crammed into our small apartment.

As an adult with my own home, I cringe at the thought of boxes piled high against walls and in every corner and spilling out of closets. I need open space or I'm sufficated. I have one whole shelf on my bookshelf devoted to books about cleaning, decluttering and organizing your home.

Now, I am feeling the need to prepare for the future and my home is starting to accumulate some piles of boxes and an overflowing closet and pantry. This is definately a step in a different direction for me.

Most packrats who hoard, (not my description of prepping, don't get mad at me please,) need to go to extensive therapy in order to overcome it. You gals and guys will need to devise a therapy plan for me to help me overcome my adversion to the clutter of prepping. I don't think there are any counselors out there that offer this kind of support!!

Now, I am feeling the need to prepare for the future and my home is starting to accumulate some piles of boxes and an overflowing closet and pantry. This is definately a step in a different direction for me...

...Most packrats who hoard, (not my description of prepping, don't get mad at me please,) need to go to extensive therapy in order to overcome it. You gals and guys will need to devise a therapy plan for me to help me overcome my adversion to the clutter of prepping. I don't think there are any counselors out there that offer this kind of support!!

Squirrels stashing stuff for hard winters look kinda sorta like hoarders...depending upon who is doing the looking. lol

One thing that helps to keep the recycling bug under control is this: Save only a certain number of items...don't go nuts saving bunches and bunches of any one item, or else that recycling bug will probably bite ya!

Sure 'nuff preparedness items and food storage is different, though. There is no crime in having an overflowing preparedness pantry, as long as it is NOT wasted. Responsible prepping means rotating the goods into your diet, and keeping them insect and pest free.

Archived