The Mall

The Country Club

The Beauty Salon

Southern girls know the 3 deadly sins:

Having bad hair and nails

Having bad manners

Cooking bad food

More Suthen-ism's:

Only a Southerner knows the difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit, and that you don't "HAVE" them, you "PITCH" them.

_____

Only a Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc., make up "a mess."

_____

Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."

_____

Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is, as in: "Going to town, be back directly."

_____

Even Southern babies know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table.

_____

All Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.

_____

Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin!

_____

Only Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and "a right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20

_____

Only a Southerner both knows and understands the difference between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and po' white trash.

_____

No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.

_____

A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.

_____

Only Southerners make friends while standing in lines... and when we're "in line"... we talk to everybody!

_____

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.

_____

In the South y'all is singular, all y'all is plural.

_____

Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.

_____

Every Southerner knows tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.

_____

When you hear someone say, "Well, I caught myself lookin'" you know you are in the presence of a genuine Southerner!

_____

Only true Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened. "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.

_____

And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say,"Bless her heart" ... and go your own way.

_____

To those of you who are still a little embarrassed by your Southerness: Take two tent revivals and a dose of sausage gravy and call me in the morning. Bless your heart!

_____

And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff... bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to have classes on Southernness as a second language!

_____

And for those that are not from the South but have lived here for a long time, all y'all need is a sign to hang on y'alls front porch that reads "I ain't from the South, but I got here as fast as I could."

Southern girls know men may come and go, but friends are fahevah !

Now, Shugah, send this to someone who was raised in the South or wish they had been! If you're a Northern transplant, bless your little heart... fake it. We know you got here as fast as you could!

I do many of these things as I am Virginia.

I will stand in line and talk to people

and If I don't they usually will talk to me.

Now if that ain't weird !

I am glad to be a "True Southerner" hugs sheila

Living here in the NW, this was truly a helpful guide. Now, if we can put some of these wonderful things to practice, I think the world would be a better place, ya'll.

Weeeelllll, um, I'm sure Violet has a different perspective. BUT, I have to answer this question for me....the answer is - not really. A lot of people here just wait their turn in line and keep to themselves. We're not angry or anything, just a good portion of people who keep to themselves. Lots of neighborhoods were this way in the 50s and 60s. Immigration - from out of state and different cultures has really changed that for the worse here, IMHO

Now, when I go into my neighborhood Walgreen's, all bets are off. I know a good portion of the clerks there, as well as the hardware store next door. I myself am friendly, but not everyone here wants to 'pass the time of day' with the person next to them in line.

Folks with this sort of hospitality are truly a special breed. I wish there were more of them out here.

As for speaking to strangers... It is very common here in SE Louisiana.

When my cousin from Sweden was here years ago he made the comment" Wow, At least 20 people told me to have a good day today" :-)

It's called Southern hospitality.

LOL the first time I was bringing my DH home to meet the my parents we stopped at a DQ about 90 miles from them to give them a call to update them on how close we were. He told Dad where we were and Dad's response was we were just down the road a piece. This blew DH away to think 90 miles was just down the road a piece LOL.

Many years ago, I took 2 missionaries out to a small town in the next county to find somebody. Both were from out West, and not used to our ways. The first comment they made was "Everybody is waving at us as we go by!" My reply, "Just wave back!". We could not find the address, so we stopped at the volunteer Fire Department to get directions, and the man we asked told us where it was (about 3 blocks away), and then added "But nobody is home right now. He went to Florida yesterday, and won't be back until next week." I had the hardest time keeping a straight face because of the looks on THEIR faces. :24:

I think that small towns are like that everywhere, but I have lived almost all of my adult life in Virginia, so this is really all that I know.

I love small towns...

Everybody knows enough of your business to keep each other in line, and enough of your business to help when you're really needing it.

:bighug2:

I talk to people all the time... and it drives my kids *CRAZY*. My Dad did the same, so it's just normal to me.

I'm fixin to tell ya'll that in my part of the South, ya'll is never singular. We also carry people across town, which outsiders seem to think means that you pick them up bodily. Noooo, they get in your car and you carry them.

• 2 weeks later...

I only spent 4.5 years in Nawlins 'fore comin' back to the Mid-Atlantic, but "Y'all" and "All Y'all" are part of everyday speech for me ever since. I also have the knowledge of grits (great for winter breakfasts!). But I never got to tallking to strangers-- I'm faaaar too introverted for that. My Texas-born Mom does it all the time, though, which weirds out anyone in line not from the South. . . like my dad . . .lol . . .

Archived