MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Back to the hard(er) life

Christy

Dear all, on sunday I'll be driving back to our BOL. Will be there for some time and without internet. Just if and when the library is up and running, I can check some mail. Cos it's a sloooooow connection there.

Suggestions about what must be taken with me there or reading material, tips and tricks, are welcome.

Will miss you all lots.

wavesmile.gif Take me! Take me!!

(Beats what I'm doing here.... <_< )

Take a notebook along, and when you're bored silly, picture one of us with you, and write about what we'd be doing. Would you be dealing with animals with Necie? Talking over stuff with Mother? Searching out plants with someone? Cooking with someone?

;) Could be funny!

I don't know what BOL is but I'd take an audio book to listen to as I drive. I just finished listening to the Diana Gabaldon, Outlander series again. I really don't know why Ilike them so well but I do. An actual book or two would be a must also.

When I travel any distance I take a blanket and pillow too in case I can't stay awake and need to pull over to sleep for a bit. Makes it much more comfortable.

Bottled water, fruit and crackers are always a must when I'm driving a distance too.

Now since I have no idea what BOL is or where it is that whole list may be silly to you. IF that's the case, write in down in the notebook that Cat's mentioned above. :)

Download a large chunk of drumrunner's stuff to browse through.

Take a tablet of graph paper and a packet of colored pencils (and erasers) so you can start planning your orchards, paddocks, kitchen garden, etc. with things like that curve of road and that wet spot and and that huge tree and that angle of sunlight and that existing fence or drive planned right in. Might as well look at some of your fields of fire while you're at it. Take a long measuring tape, a ball of string, and a yardstick so you can calculate the heights of significant trees. Take a compass too.

Hope you have a safe trip! I'd make some suggestions but I'm not sure what your situation is so I don't know what to suggest. What will you be staying in while you're there? How long of a stay? If/when do you plan to make a permanent transition? Maybe I can make some suggestions then but anyways be careful!

BOL = bug out location = Christy's new property.

Dear all, such good suggestions.

Michelle, I'm coming back in late may cos neighbours here are getting married. So a week here and then back to the chaingang :D

Ambergris, so wish I could. There is no electricity there and no way to have digital info with me. Charging the mobile phone goes in the car already.

Gofish, I'll miss you too and will send a letter from time to time.

Mik, believe it, next week I'm over at the local shelter to shop for a dog!

Dee, good reminder I have to get bottled water. somehow tea in a thermosflask gets kinda yuck after a a few hours.

Cat, get your good self overhere and we can go there together. You'd be most welcome.

And a brilliant idea to start a diary with some of you virtually there.

Jori, thank you, I'll try to check in once a week.

Now I'm off to the north of Noord-Holland to pick up a free hand sewingmachine. You know, the things Dutch people will do for a freebee :wacko:

I calculated the amount of petrol against the value of the machine. The are sold now for around 80euro so this one will be worth the trip.

I wish you a safe trip and a productive and somehow restful time in your BOL.

We will miss your posts, and will look forward to having you back!

Take care, and know you will be in our thoughts.

Wahh! Waaaaahh wah wah!!!!! Now I'm going to go through Christy withdrawal, and I'm already going through Mt. Rider withdrawal! It's just not fair!! *stomp stomp*

Okay, now that I have that out of my system, have a VERY safe drive and enjoy your time at your way far away retreat!! :) I second the idea of printing out as much of drumrunner's stuff as you can and reviewing it. More than anything, though, just enjoy the time away. You'll love it. :)

We'll miss you sweetie! :yar:

Thank you all, it does warm the heart to know to be missed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody, am in library now to hog the internet here. Miki, thank you for the letter that arrived. Due to the volcano ashes stopping traffic, my answer will probably still be on route as your second letter is.

Mother, letter on your way as well.

Gofish, posted a card today.

Sofar... came down with a beast of a flu-cold, cold fever, coughing green gunk and indeed, a fancy bronchitis. Anti-biotics are suddenly very high on my list of supplies and I'll get them one way or the other. So I was out cold for over a week and a half.

The house has not much done recently due to being ill. Today handyman and me will place a new (scrounged by him second hand) window with double glass! He repaired someone's pump in exchange for this window. Hurray!

Before I became ill I've stripped the last room of wallpaper and that is to be the grand boudoir aka my feminine bedroom.

I can't do much and am depending on handyman having time and energy (he is 74 after all) and hoping it'll be soon.

Then just a bathroom to spruce up and we're in working order.

All I want it to be able to wash my hair and sit in a tub or shower. Until now just pouring kettles of warm water to rinse the shampo out, is no good.

I will admit to having been so ill and feverish I thought about driving back to Holland. In a warm bed, central heating, showers, SHOWERS!

But fever is not a good guide and crashing my car seemed inevitable.

So stuck it through and hoping that spring will win. Warm one day, raining the next and when sunny, nights still have frost.

So all in all, a pretty interesting (read difficult) time and I'm sure glad to be able to warm here by the fire.

Missing you heaps and hope to get to the library more often.

Kiss kiss.

(((christy))) so glad to see your post, but sorry to hear that you've been so sick! Give yourself time to get completely over it before you start tackling the house again. Hope you get back to the library soon and give us an update.

Archived