MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Well happy happy birthday to me...

michelle

Today is my birthday. Woohoo! I've had tons of friends already sending messages on the forums I go to like here, FB, and my phone. A few calls too and it's not even half way through the day. That's great and makes me feel so blessed that people care. We were planning on going out to eat tonight but that isn't happening now. Dh just called to say he got laid off. Laid off and on my birthday! Well happy birthday to me then. Yep it's my birthday and I can cry if I want to. :sad-smiley-012:

:bdaycake: i have way too much cake--so i will share with you!!! :grouphug: sorry about the layoff--have a great day anyway--you can worry about it tomorrow

Oh Michelle, what timiing. What awful news to recieve on your birthday. I want to give you this birthday gift of a different perspective. Here we go:

First of all, nobody in your family died. There are many people who have their birthdays tainted with the memory each year of a relative passing. It's just a layoff.

Second, when God closes one door, He opens another. Start this birthday year with new beginnings! Out with the old, in with the new! You never know if a better opportunity lay waiting around a corner. An opportunity that would have been missed if the layoff never happened.

Third, you are loved. Take a look around you and notice all those birthday wishes you are receiving. Jobs are replaceable, friends and family aren't. You are truly blessed!

Your husband will need you now to help him feel like he is still a respected breadwinner. Men take these things so hard and so personnally. Loosing a job to them makes them feel smaller in some way. Its in their DNA. Be very positive and hopefully that will take some of the burden off his mind.

And finally....HAPPY BIRTHDAY! May God bless you on this first day of the rest of your life!

Very true cootie. My husband especially takes the provider role seriously and is what most would consider a workaholic. That's one great thing I've always loved about him. He will do what ever he has to to take care of us even if it means working side jobs on top of his job or selling things to make money if we needed it. Feeling like he isn't/can't take care of us really hits his pride. Luckily his hard work and good work ethic means he has a good relationship with his bosses so even if he leaves a job they would welcome him back.

One of his previous bosses has a small dirt work business and dh has worked off and on with him for years when he needed help. He's already called him and will talk to him again this evening about what is going on now and if he needs any help. The layoff shouldn't be but a couple of weeks for his job. They do contract type work sandblasting and painting and are in between jobs so he should start back working in a couple of weeks. His old boss may have something to make him a little money in the time off. For now that's the plan. Just to try to get things done and make what he can while waiting for the new job to start up. My cousin does similar work and has been wanting dh to go to work with him so we'll check on that if the new job doesn't start as planned. If nothing else he may be able to go back to work with his last employer driving a truck or we can always check for other job openings in the area.

We were planning on my finally being a full time sahm but I do still have good standing with my last two bosses (was working both jobs at once) and may be able to go back to work with either or both of those if we need to although that is a last resort right now since the baby is coming soon and I'd have to take back of work for that. With it being tax time our return will come and we can have some money to live off of with or without work for right now and I'm also getting information together to apply for WIC and Medicaid for now. We have a few things we may can sell for additional money and dh should get a reasonable amount for unemployment which we'll apply for right away. I am so thankful that we at least have so many resources available to us and should come out of this just fine. It's just not what I expected to hear today and definitely requires some reworking and planning of the budget. Just so much to do now. Sorry for the long post and rambling but I'm just kind of thinking this all through. Thank you all so much for being supportive. It always helps to remember the blessings you have and be surrounded by family and friends.

(((((michelle))))) It sounds like you are hitting the ground running - researching the alternatives, WIC, etc. Tomorrow your head will be clearer and you will be able to tackle everything even better. Best thing is you and your DH are a team. May God bless you and keep you and guide you, and may you feel His presence and peace surround you and guide you.

:bdaycake: Happy Birthday, sweetie! :bdaycake: Things will get better but you may find that his layoff provides your hubby with a much needed break. How fortunate that it occurred during the tax refund season.Since it is only expected to last a few weeks...enjoy the time with your hubby and enjoy your birthday celebration.

Well dh was late coming home from work this afternoon. They had a meeting after work and it looks like maybe just maybe they won't be laid off after all. It looks like they are trying to start up the next job and are wanting to get a small crew (including dh) to go to the new job for about 2 weeks to get a ton done with starting it, then come back here and try to do finish work on this job for a couple of weeks before going back to the other job. Looks like if things go the way the bosses are wanting to do it then they'll be overworking for the next few weeks. He may still end up with a few days off but that would be a good thing for a little break. So maybe he won't be laid off after all. They are still working until at least Mon or Tues here so the next week should tell what's going to happen. I'm still preparing for the worst and will be doing what I can to get our resources in order anyways. We'll see how things turn out in the next week.

As for the birthday though... dh talked me into doing something anyways. The kids wanted to feed my macaroni (dd's favorite) and hot dogs (ds's favorite) but dh talked them out of it so we picked up food at a local place with REAL burgers (hot dogs for the kids and sweet tea that dd loves) and got a little cake and ice cream too. The kids stuck me some candles on there and same 'happy birthday to my mama' to me. Soooo cute! That is the most special thing I've ever gotten on a birthday! :wub:

well I may be a day later but.................................

Happy Belated-Birthday to YOU

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪.•*¨*•♫♪

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪.•*¨*•♫♪♥♪♫•*¨*•

Happy Belated-Birthday dear Michelle

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪.•*¨*•♫♪♥♪♫•*¨*•

♪♫ •*¨*•.¸¸ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪.•*¨*•♫♪

Oh Michelle, what timiing. What awful news to recieve on your birthday. I want to give you this birthday gift of a different perspective. Here we go:First of all, nobody in your family died. There are many people who have their birthdays tainted with the memory each year of a relative passing. It's just a layoff. Second, when God closes one door, He opens another. Start this birthday year with new beginnings! Out with the old, in with the new! You never know if a better opportunity lay waiting around a corner. An opportunity that would have been missed if the layoff never happened.Third, you are loved. Take a look around you and notice all those birthday wishes you are receiving. Jobs are replaceable, friends and family aren't. You are truly blessed!Your husband will need you now to help him feel like he is still a respected breadwinner. Men take these things so hard and so personnally. Loosing a job to them makes them feel smaller in some way. Its in their DNA. Be very positive and hopefully that will take some of the burden off his mind. And finally....HAPPY BIRTHDAY! May God bless you on this first day of the rest of your life!

Well looks like cootie jinxed me :lol:. Just heard from my mom and my great uncle passed away yesterday on my birthday. I wasn't very close to him only ever having really seen him at Christmas each year but it's not going to be good for the rest of the family. The worst part of it all is this uncle was married to my mom's aunt, my grandmother's twin sister. My grandmother died of pancreatic cancer and was buried the week of Thanksgiving after having been first diagnosed around July. It's going to be so hard on my great aunt having lost her twin sister at Thanksgiving and now her husband just over 2 months later. My great grandmother is still alive and is primarily cared for by just my great aunt now. Mamaw is almost 96 and I just hope she can hang in there for a while yet now because I'm not sure my aunt could handle losing her mother too in a short period of time. I'm really concerned about her sanity and health with all this going on. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers because I know she's going to need it.

Archived