MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

going to Europe!!

Fullpantry

I'm traveling to Europe in a couple of weeks. Going to London, Paris and Barcelona. I'm so excited!!! The tours of attractions are pretty much set but we do have some free time built in. Anyone have suggestions of things we MUST do or try? Foods to try, shopping places to visit, etc.? This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip and I don't want to get home and say, "Oh I wish I had tried that or tasted that!"

:woohoo:

Hope you have a wonderful time!!!

I've never been to those countries so no advise except maybe buy or library a couple of touristy books. Frommer and Fodor are usually pretty good. Also Google is my bestest friend. Wish I could go too.

Well, you don't say what tours, etc, you've got planned but in Paris I'd definitely go to the West Bank, over where all the college students hang out and just walk around soaking up the atmosphere. A river trip of the Seine is lovely. Go up to Montparnasse near Sacre Coeur and watch the artists paint and have a bite to eat up there...there's nothing you can't do in Paris and not enjoy it! How much fun!!! Also, no matter what your religious background, do try to go to Notre Dame Cathedral and other gothic architectural wonders!

Have fun FullPantry but stay safe. You might check about taking extra toliet paper. There was a teacher at school (She was a summer tour guide) who always told her kids that she took every year to take extra because it is not always furnished. She also told them to wear old underwear and just leave them so you don't have to worry about it. If you wash it, it doesn't always dry, and then it sours. She would only let them take 1 large suitcase and one carry on or backpack because she said Americans always take more than you need. If you take interchangeable clothes that mix and match and 1 extra pair of shoes for other events, you will be fine. She said no one else will see you there ever again anyway.

You probably knew all of this, but I thought it might help. If you have time, journal your adventures with short picture hints because they might run together. Go and have the time of your life, because it will be worth every minute. Oh, what memories you will have.

Wear flat shoes for walking around in, especially if you go to the Tower of London, there is a lot of stone steps that are narrow and worn with age. Please dont scare the ravens there is an old prophesy that if the Ravens leave the tower the capital will fall :grinning-smiley-044: ,

Covent Gardens have a wonderful cafe,

Harrods is an intresting shop experinece, though a nigtmare when there is a sale on, Harrods used to sell Ginger biscuits [cookies] that was fantastic, and you got a paper carrier with the Harrods logo on.

Some street vendors are known to double and even triple prices to tourists, and I personally wouldn't buy food from them for fear of food posioning.

Buckingham palace, bet you cant get the soldier on duty with the big hat and red coat to smile, dont forget to get a photo or too stood next to one.

Expensive cameras, jewlery and other expensive equipment will make you a target for beggers and thieves.

My sisterinlaw and her 4 sisters went to see a show and shopping weekend in London, one had her phone stollen and another her wallet, it ruined there trip,

never put your possesions down in public, even in washrooms, forget fanny packs, the straps are easy too cut, back packs are also too easy for someone to rob, wear a bag that crosses over your body or under your arm and get into the habbit of holding on too your bag.

My daughter has 2 cat bells attached to her wallet, they are noisey enough to alert her if someone was trying to steal it, if you have a zipper on your purse attach a couple of bells you will be alerted if someone is trying to sneak into your bag.

Put some loose change in your pocket, you will use it and saves you pulling your wallet out all the time, you pay to use public bathrooms in the UK.

I have sent you a pm, my understanding is that Paris and London have similar problems, don't know about Barcelona, the main thing is to have a wonderful trip full of wonderful memories and lot of photos.

Archived