MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Home Canned Potato - use?

Canned potatoes will never be like fresh ones, so it's best to use them for other uses, like fried or in casseroles and soups. They have a "canned" taste, too, so the added flavoring from the other foods will help mask that.

Here's another post that goes into more detail...

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36975&st=0&p=314490&hl=potatoes&fromsearch=1entry314490

And it's *SO* nice to see you again, Kathleeen!!! :bighug2:

Canned potatoes will never be like fresh ones, so it's best to use them for other uses, like fried or in casseroles and soups. They have a "canned" taste, too, so the added flavoring from the other foods will help mask that.

Here's another post that goes into more detail...

http://mrssurvival.c...=1

And it's *SO* nice to see you again, Kathleeen!!! :bighug2:

Thanks for the hug! I've been kind of preoccupied, my daughter and I were diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos, a hypermobility condition, this past November. She also has fibromyalgia, and her EDS is much worse than mine. She's been in and out of hospitals and doctors for various injuries since 6th grade. Me, now I know why I have "trick ankles" and a bad back at my age. Both off us get a lot of pain from it, her moreso. But, life goes on, and the tomatoes will grow :)

Like you, Kathleen, I tried making mashed potatoes out of some of my home canned potatoes. Blech. But, I did find they are fantastic for a quick and easy potato soup. Especially if you have some "Cream of Whatever" soup mix on hand. In about 15 minutes, you have a wonderfully thick and tasty soup. That's our favorite use for them. I'll certainly have to try frying up some as suggested in Cat's link.

I fry mine. My recipe isn't for the faint of heart!

I fry some onion in bacon grease then add the potatoes (sliced or small chunks) and fry them until they are all nice and brown and crusty. Just this side of burned.

They will never be like fresh potatoes but they are close fixed this way. They are not bad in soups and stews too.

Thank you for bringing this up Kathleen!! I just got 20# of red potatoes for $5 that I haven't done anything with yet, because I was deciding if I should can any or not. I think I'll can a few pints and dehydrate the rest. We love fried potatoes!

I love canned potatoes- and use them in pot pies, pasties, served with green beans

sliced and fried in butter to a crisp brown or just brown around the edges.

They are ready for a quick meal, (no need to peel!), they are good in salads,etc.

I am thinking about putting up a bunch maybe 50 lbs - they will last longer canned.

I also fry mine in bacon grease,but first I drain then rinse and drain again then fry.

Bolding mine:

Of course you do...it's a Hoosier thang. :008Laughing:

:huh:

:ashamed0002:

Ummmmmm... YUP! :happy0203:

I also fry mine in bacon grease,but first I drain then rinse and drain again then fry.

Bolding mine:

We used bacon grease in KY too. I still do sometimes, like tonight, but I roasted them in the oven. I'm going to have to wait to try it with canned ones though. I need to get the pressure canner that I have stored at my grandmother's house when I go visit my parents this summer. For now I'm dehydrating the 20lbs I got, I just have to figure out how long to blanch them for at the thickness I cut. The first part doesn't look so pretty.

Bolding mine:

We used bacon grease in KY too. I still do sometimes, like tonight, but I roasted them in the oven. I'm going to have to wait to try it with canned ones though. I need to get the pressure canner that I have stored at my grandmother's house when I go visit my parents this summer. For now I'm dehydrating the 20lbs I got, I just have to figure out how long to blanch them for at the thickness I cut. The first part doesn't look so pretty.

Wow, and I thought it was a 'southern thang'? :shrug:

ANYTHING fried in bacon grease automatically tastes better, doesn't it?!? DH is from Indiana and I'm from the South, so we've got our bases covered! :)

Mmmmm- German potato salad with canned spuds. Rinse them well, then dry for cold potato salad, too. Chopped up for morning 'cottage fries' (fried in the bacon or sausage grease from the meat!).

Sliced into cheese sauce and baked 'au gratin' style. Hubby used to dip them in ketchup and eat them that way (he said it killed any possible tinny taste). I like them just heated thru, then rolled in melted butter with a spritz of lemon and a sprinkle of parsley.

Archived