MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Crazy Summer about to begin

We're in the down hill stretch leading in to our crazy summer. If you don't see me much until sometime in July that's why. Getting ready to head to town. People are going to think I'm crazy when I pick up 3 weeks worth of pudding, mashed potatoes and as many cans of Nido Kinder as I can find to finish the boys meals. I'm down to about 2 weeks to get the meals packed for their Applachian Trail hike (I'm about 1/3 done. We keep eating the ingredients so I have to keep dehydrating), dd and myself packed for our trip to DC for the Girl scout anniversary, ds's Boy Scout Camp, dd's Girl Scout Camp and hopefully a couple of reunions thrown in - one dh's family and one college family. Just realized last night, I need dh to pack a bag separate from his backpack so he'll have clothes for after I pick them up that haven't been on the trail for 2+ weeks. :yuk: Say a prayer I don't go :cheeky-smiley-067: before it's over.

I'm tired just reading it too. But I'll bet you have a great summer.

Arby, Nido is a brand of powdered milk. Kinder = children. So, it's powdered milk for children. I got some at Walmart. It is supposed to be very good. I didn't break into mine yet though. I'm saving it for the big one! LOL

Thanks everyone!

Arby - a few nights by myself at my parents house, and maybe a few nights by myself after we get home. I'm not sure yet when dh has to go back to work.

Jeepers - I haven't tried the Nido kinder straight yet, but I did put it in a recipe. I was afraid with the extra viatmins it would taste funny, but I couldn't tell any difference.

Anyone ever seen boil in the bag noodles that cook in 3 minutes. Our walmart had them on clearance. I got some hoping they work so I can mark dehydrating cooked noodles off my list. I'll try to post after I test them.

for 'dryed noodles' I have used the Ramen noodle soup (can break it apart and put into ziplocks) and if you don't use the packet of 'flavor' for them it makes a great 'cup-of-soup' just watch the sodium! But if you are hiking who cares.

I take it they are not 'through hiking' the trail? Man I si wanted to do that years ago. Got to be on a small part of it in VA.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

They're trying to do about 220 miles. I think he's saving the through hike for when both the kids are grown and it's just me and him. Gives me about 7 years to prepare. Should have the best of the dried meals figured out by then. lol

I'm using Ramen for part of the meals, but they're going to be gone about 18 days. Need a little variety - at least for me.

• 3 weeks later...

It began yesterday - 3.5 hours late. When I titled the thread I didn't know how true it was. Hopefully we'll be to the hotel soon and can rest. This bus isn't very good for sleeping and we've been on it since 1130 y-day except a few hours at Mt. Vernon and Arlington.