MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Kitchen gadgets....what do you really need and what can you do without?

Here is an example of a ratchet can opener. I THINK I got mine at Wal-Mart but I don't really remember. You push the handle forward then pull it back. You don't have to twist it. Much easier on the wrist. I'm on the old computer tonight so I can post.

https://smile.amazon.com/Prepworks-Progressive-Ratchet-Opener-Original/dp/B07JMHW61Z/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2H1WYCFY1Y66R&keywords=ratchet+can+opener&qid=1582261403&sprefix=ratchet+can+opener%2Caps%2C213&sr=8-4

• Thanks 1
On 2/13/2020 at 10:12 PM, kappydell said:

old 4 qt pressure cooker

Just used mine a couple of days ago to make a beef stew...browned the beef chunks, pitched in a quart of potatoes, a pint of diced tomatoes, a pint of carrots, a pint of green beans, some dehydrated onions and garlic, some Kitchen Bouquet, a few drops of liquid smoke, some salt, some pepper and we had supper in 30 minutes and it all came from my home canned foods except the beef.  Actually faster than my electric pressure cooker.  

• Like 3

I use the Instant Pot quite a bit.  I always worry about getting the ones that just go on the stove because I'm notorious for getting distracted while cooking and worry that I'll end up building up enough pressure for them to blow.  :behindsofa:

We do, however, need to go through and purge the kitchen.  That's going to take quite a bit of time, as I looooove kitchen gadgets.  One of my favorite stores ever is Der Kuchen Laden in Fredericksburg, TX, where they have all sorts of nifty contraptions.

• Like 2

No, nope, can not cook without my kitchen gadgets...  I started out with a backpack set of dishes & utensils.  It’s taken years to collect what we have.  

After reading this thread, when you started it, MT3B, I consider all my gadgets, daily, while cooking.  I might be able to part with a few chop sticks, but, they have so many uses....  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Provided I had power, I would keep my Kitchen Aid stand mixer (over 20 years old now) with attachments and my 'good' stainless steel mixing spoons and toss everything else.  Those things are my power horses.  

• Like 1