MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bridal Shower tomorrow for DD

....and I'm SO excited!! I've been asked to give the devotional, her sisters and I have our gifts ready, and we're set to go. I hope (in a Mama Bear kind of way) that she gets lots of loot, stuff that she wants and needs (not in that order). She and her fiance are truly starting from scratch. He's is school with a full time job, with the goal of becoming a pastor someday. Life will be rough for them, but God will be with them.

For now, it's a bright spot in a dark world. :hapydancsmil:

• Like 5

I'm very excited for you and especially for the little redheaded mini you! :bouquet:

I hope she gets a lot of useful items to start out on this new journey of her life! And also some purdy things just for so. I might be dating myself but I think everyone I've ever known has started out in life from scratch with very little. Including me. They will be just fine, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is great to hear, Joyfilled.  All of it.  They might have a tough start but I’m guessing Mom and DD will be there for them. :happy0203: 

• Thanks 1

I feel like a lot of kids in her generation (including those related to me) are putting off marriage until they are "settled." Buying a house, established career, etc. Not them! They will go through all of that, but together. 

And yes, we've got their back. ❤️

• Like 2

Congratulations!  Sometimes I think a roughish start is better than both with good jobs, a new home, new cars, etc.  Having to work together to get that first washing machine, maybe even used, makes for bonding and working and making it together.  AND, the enjoyment and pride in that washer is the best!:grouphug:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another couple here who started out from scratch, too.   I always nearly cry when we watch the movie McClintock and John Wayne's character tells his daughter:

George Washington McLintock : Becky! Come here. Somethin' I ought to tell you. Guess now's as good a time as any. You're going to have every young buck west of the Missouri around here tryin' to marry you - mostly because you're a handsome filly, but partly because I own everything in this country from here to there. They'll think you're going to inherit it. Well, you're not. I'm going to leave most of it to, well, to the nation really, for a park where no lumbermen'll cut down all the trees for houses with leaky roofs. Nobody'll kill all the beaver for hats for dudes nor murder the buffalo for robes. What I'm going to give you is a 500 cow spread on the Upper Green River. Now that may not seem like much, but it's more than we had, your mother and I. Some folks are gonna say I'm doin' all this so I can sit up in the hereafter and look down on a park named after me, or that I was disappointed in you - didn't want you to get all that money. But the real reason, Becky, is because I love you, and I want you and some young man to have what I had, because all the gold in the United States Treasury and all the harp music in heaven can't equal what happens between a man and a woman with all that growin' together. I can't explain it any better than that.

The last 2 sentences always remind of the start DH and I had!  :wub:   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations Joyfield. I know what you mean about starting from scratch. Two granddaughters that started out from scratch. One has been married going on 7 years now and another just got married last year. They are still struggling. They are the ones that stayed with me for 4 months and then with her mother for 2 months. They now have an apt. in SC as now is not the time to be buying a house. But maybe someday. Step GD in CA has been married now for over 10 years.  

So might be hard at first, but they will get there. It takes time, but they will get to where they want to be. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you, everyone!! The shower was simple, but nice. She felt very loved and cared for. Got some things she really needed, other things that she didn't so much, but all of them she really appreciated.

Thank you for your kind words, too. Hubby and I started out with not one, not two, but three households. Mine, his, and his grandparents that he inherited (some, not all their stuff). But that meant that we had to struggle through other things to make our relationship strong, it didn't come naturally....but strong it is. I hope this happens for them as well!!

• Like 3