MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wood stove cooking

Well, I do believe I did it!! We baked everything except the turkey and sweet potato casserole, as we wanted to be sure the turkey had even heat the whole time, and ran out of space for the casserole. That means that I cooked the potatoes on the stove, as well as the cranberry/orange sauce. The green bean casserole and dressing were baked in the wood stove, and....pecan pie!! I only made two kinds of pies, and one of them doesn't have to be baked (double layered pumpkin pie). It was so rewarding to cook and bake in it!! :hapydancsmil:

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-19 at 9.45.46 PM(2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-19 at 9.45.46 PM(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-19 at 9.45.45 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-19 at 9.45.44 PM.jpeg

• Like 7

Congratulations.  You did an awesome job.  👍. I love that stove.  I can see why you are enjoying your journey with her.  :happy0203:

• Thanks 1

I am super jealous of that stove.  Everything looks amazing!  The jelly jar water glasses are a great idea that I may have to steal.  

Also I'd love your pumpkin pie recipe if you are willing to share.

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, euphrasyne said:

I am super jealous of that stove. 

Meeee too.  I shouldn’t be as I have wood cook stoves but I love the see through doors on the oven and fire box and the warming oven is going to be great for keeping food warm, proofing bread, drying wet winter gear like gloves, and all sorts of things.  :sigh:  :happy0203:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mine is not a stove like that but just a flat top wood stove to heat house. But I did cook chicken on top of it.  It has no burners or an oven. But I think when it is just hot embers, I could cook on that. But for the flat top of the stove, I decided to try cooking chicken. Figured if it didn't work out, I could finish off in oven. But the chicken cooked through and was very tender. Great flavor. Can't bake in it but might think about stove pipe oven. would have to have chimney guy come and install it but would be worth it.  The stove is at fireplace in den on far side of kitchen. 

It is heating the whole house. The furnace has not come on all day. it is comfortable 72*in house right now.

Joyfilled, that meal looks great. I love the wood cooking stove. Maybe I might have one like that in my future.  But at my age and lack of funds for one like that I will settle for my regular wood stove.  And yes, thinking the Lord every day for being able to have one. Will try to get pictures on here when I get the problem fixed with that.  Computer keeps saying my pictures are full. Don't think that is the problem. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

I am super jealous of that stove.  Everything looks amazing!  The jelly jar water glasses are a great idea that I may have to steal.  

Also I'd love your pumpkin pie recipe if you are willing to share.

We've been using canning jars for drinking for a long time now, I stole the idea from one of my friends when I lived in MN. They hardly ever break, and with kids, that's been really helpful!

Here's the recipe! My biggest tip is to make sure that you mix the pudding and the pumpkin well. I didn't when I first started making it, and it looks terrible!! Still tastes good, just not very nice to look at. Know that people won't want to cut into it right away because it looks like an under cooked pumpkin pie. Once it's opened, it disappears! Sometimes I even cut into it so people will know what it is. It's yummy! :) This is how I have it written in my notes:

Double Layered Pumpkin Pie:

8 oz of cream cheese 2 cans (15oz) pumpkin

2 Tbsp milk 4 (4srvgs) pkgs vanilla instant pudding

2 Tbsp sugar 2 cups milk

2 tubs cool whip, thawed 2 tsp cinnamon

3 graham cracker crusts ½ tsp ground cloves

1 tsp ground ginger

Mix cream cheese, 2 Tbsp milk and sugar in a large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Gently stir in half of the whipped topping. Spread unto crusts evenly. Pour 2 cups of milk into large bowl, mix in pudding. Add pumpkin and spices, mix well (mix will be thick). Spread over cream cheese layer.

Refrigerate 4 hours or until set. Top with remaining whipped topping.

Makes 3 pies. DO NOT DOUBLE!!

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-20 at 5.17.37 PM.jpeg

• Thanks 4
2 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Mine is not a stove like that but just a flat top wood stove to heat house. But I did cook chicken on top of it.  It has no burners or an oven. But I think when it is just hot embers, I could cook on that. But for the flat top of the stove, I decided to try cooking chicken. Figured if it didn't work out, I could finish off in oven. But the chicken cooked through and was very tender. Great flavor. Can't bake in it but might think about stove pipe oven. would have to have chimney guy come and install it but would be worth it.  The stove is at fireplace in den on far side of kitchen. 

It is heating the whole house. The furnace has not come on all day. it is comfortable 72*in house right now.

Joyfilled, that meal looks great. I love the wood cooking stove. Maybe I might have one like that in my future.  But at my age and lack of funds for one like that I will settle for my regular wood stove.  And yes, thinking the Lord every day for being able to have one. Will try to get pictures on here when I get the problem fixed with that.  Computer keeps saying my pictures are full. Don't think that is the problem. 

Little Sister, we bought ours when our, *ahem*, benevolent government was handing out money. We have 4 kids at home, so we saved up what they sent and were able to get it! We believe it's one of the best investments we've made! :)

• Like 4

Joyfilled, you made the right move with that stove.  I don't have any way of putting something like that in my kitchen and the one I got was to be a fireplace insert but ended up being free standing which worked out better. But if I could get something like yours it would have to be set up outside on back patio and I don't know how that would work as it would need to be protected from weather.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

Joyfilled, you made the right move with that stove.  I don't have any way of putting something like that in my kitchen and the one I got was to be a fireplace insert but ended up being free standing which worked out better. But if I could get something like yours it would have to be set up outside on back patio and I don't know how that would work as it would need to be protected from weather.

I'll tell you what, it was a BEAR to move. It took I think 5 men to get it up the porch steps and into the house.

• Like 4

I can believe the 5 men to get it up in house. It took 4 men to get mine which is smaller than yours up the steps into the den. That stove weighed over 500 lbs. That's a lot of weight. But well worth it and I am very thankful for what I have. And I know you are as well.  God is good.  He knows our needs even before we do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've always wanted a wood cookstove.  We used to burn wood for heat that had a flat top so I could warm up and cook a few things but my that oven etc. is to die for.  DH says he cut and worked wood for 10 years and is NOT going to do it any longer.  I do understand as he's 78 years old, but I sure wish we still had some kind of woodstove for heating with IF needed.

Enjoy your stove and know I'm drooling!  :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, euphrasyne said:

I have all of that on hand--I'm absolutely making that for thanksgiving.   I'm going to halve the recipe though and use a baked piecrust.   

Post pictures!! 😊

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Dee said:

I've always wanted a wood cookstove.  We used to burn wood for heat that had a flat top so I could warm up and cook a few things but my that oven etc. is to die for.  DH says he cut and worked wood for 10 years and is NOT going to do it any longer.  I do understand as he's 78 years old, but I sure wish we still had some kind of woodstove for heating with IF needed.

Enjoy your stove and know I'm drooling!  :) 

My Dad just turned 80 and he enjoys helping us with the wood....but that's just it, helping, not in charge of. There's a difference!! 😊

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, Joyfilled said:

My Dad just turned 80 and he enjoys helping us with the wood....but that's just it, helping, not in charge of. There's a difference!! 😊

I guess I should have added he's crippled up with arthritis too BUT he wasn't that bad when he quit doing wood 30 years ago.  He was just tired of it.  :) 

• Like 4

We haven’t heated with wood or had the cook stove hooked up for a few years but with gas prices so high this year we will be using our fireplace or wood stove (we have both in different rooms) to save us some.  Thankfully DGS has cut and stacked a lot of wood close to the house for us to use.  Some of it, barring snow, I am able to get to with the wheelchair so will be able to help some.  Another wood pile is under a deep overhang right outside a door so DH will be able to load an inside basket direct.  It helps a lot to have a 20 year old farm worker Grandson who has been raised a prepper and doesn’t mind helping us old folks.  

• Like 5

Dee the flat top wood stove is what I have to heat house with. And yes, I used it for 2 days straight and it was down in 20"s night before last, and the furnace never came on. Cooked chicken on it the other night. Didn't start it up today as I needed to clean it out. I buy my wood by the cord. Not cheap but I got over a cord and a half for $300. The stove is set to burn slow and it last much longer than I thought it would be before having to add anymore wood to it.

Will be ordering another cord or two next year.  Maybe more as I don't know if wood will go up or not. Hoping it won't.

Hoping to see a very low gas bill this winter. But so far, my gas bills for winter use haven't been bad. Got the wood stove mainly because depending on a fireplace just wasn't an option as your heat goes up the chimney. So, that was to solve that issue and keep the heat in house and not up the chimney. But now that I know for sure I can heat and cook on it, I'm all in. SIL said to get a cast iron trivet to put the pots on, so things won't burn on bottom of pan. Might be a good idea. Going to give that a try and the top of that stove gets very hot and no way to turn down the heat except by way of the amount of wood you put in it. It's a learning curve for sure.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dee said:

I guess I should have added he's crippled up with arthritis too BUT he wasn't that bad when he quit doing wood 30 years ago.  He was just tired of it.  :) 

Can't say I blame him! :unsure: It's a lot of work! I'm thankful for a bunch of kids running around who still think it's fun to stack the wood! :24:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh my, you are so fortunate to have that stove! I love it. And you are doing so well cooking on it too. Great job! 

That pumpkin pie looks just like what I make. Mine just makes one pie with a lot of pumpkin filling left over. I usually eat the left over like a mousse. I call mine 'pumpkin cheese cake'. I got the recipe in the back of a magazine way back in the 70's or 80's. I think it was an old advertisement for Jell-O. If you like pumpkin, it is very good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joyfilled, you really caught on fast cooking on a wood stove. And I agree with everyone else. Those pies look great. I am so going to try your recipe. 

Yesterday I cleaned ashes out of wood stove and spread them over the larger garden area. they say wood ash is good for a garden but not to use to much as it makes the soil aquiline or something. Will need to read up on that. But the ground could use some of anything at this point. If I do end up doing a garden even though my plan was to just take a break next spring, I am thinking I will be doing one with prices like they are and going to get much worse. So, I haven't started another fire yet. But still want to try the biscuits. Will now be just waiting till I get back from DD's house as GS left me a lot of work to do with the food, he bought home.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LIttlesister, DH, DS and his friends used to spend the weekend snowmobiling.  I always had a pot of stew and a pan of hot chocolate on the woodstove for when they came in freezing cold.  I just added to it all weekend long.

DD and I didn't want to stay home, never knowing when they'd be in so, it worked out well for all of us.

• Like 4

A pan of stew and hot chocolate to keep warm on stove sounds great. With GS coming in from work anywhere from 2am to 4 am that is a great way to keep food hot for his dinner.  And there will be coffee on there to keep warm all winter. I do drink more coffee in wintertime. and GS drinks it once in a while. So stove is going to be a good learning process. for using the flat top for food. 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Dee said:

LIttlesister, DH, DS and his friends used to spend the weekend snowmobiling.  I always had a pot of stew and a pan of hot chocolate on the woodstove for when they came in freezing cold.  I just added to it all weekend long.

DD and I didn't want to stay home, never knowing when they'd be in so, it worked out well for all of us.

What a great memory, Dee!! :)

• Like 2