MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Miki, I need to get active in church again. Seems in 2020 when they closed the churches down, ours remained closed for a while after most churches reopened. I had missed a lot of church during the time DH was sick as he couldn't go to the sit in parking lot services. And I couldn't leave him by himself to go. Then everything after his passing happened and I just had a hard time getting back. Now I am going back but so much has changed with this pastor. He is good but so many new things now they are doing, and I feel like I am starting over in a new church. But I already know everyone there. Going to try to help with the Halloween stuff this year. We always have a big thing going on with that to draw all the new kids in. I need to buy candy soon also for that. Still thinking about getting active in the food ministry again. Though now they do things different, and I can't go up and down those steep steps anymore. But I am sure there is plenty to do. We are getting ready to collect food for Thanksgiving and Christmas now. 

GS left to go home just after 2pm today because again I told him he's not laying on couch all day to go outside and weed the flower beds. He refused so no dinner tonight. He can cook at home. But he won't. Stove doesn't work and he still won't call Maintenace to fix it. That's on him. He gets his last paycheck today from his last job so I am sure he will just eat out instead of paying his bills this month with it. 

Been working on my sewing room today. Table is about cleaned off and things getting put away where they belong. Still not sure on how to fully organize things but I will get there. I'm not the best organizer but at least I know where everything is. Seems when it comes to sewing, crafts and office supplies I have way too much stuff. But I do use it. I have a lot of old tax papers and things to go through and that will not be a fun project. But it is a necessary one. Instead of shredding papers I will just put them in a box for fire starter this year. 

• Like 3

I used a lot of paper for fire starters too. But I found that I liked it even more when I shredded it. I could stuff it between the logs and lay it all around. It was also easy to just throw a handful in to keep the fire going instead of trying to balance a piece of paper on or around a log. I use twisted pieces of newspaper too but I had to position them just right between logs. Best things I found was 'fat wood'. A couple of sticks of those with some shredded paper and the logs caught right on. You can get a big box of them at places like Wal-Mart etc. for around $10.00. I bought a few boxes of them and put the sticks in a basket to set on the hearth. Looked nice and always handy. I could replenish the supply once a year without breaking the bank. I'm going to miss my insert. 

• Like 3

Jeepers, do you have a fireplace in your new home? If so maybe, you could down the line have an insert put in. I like the shredded paper better as well. But right now, I just want to spend time getting house together again than sitting here shredding paper. I need to bring my shredder back into house. It has been in garage now for 2 years. I have the perfect place by my desk for it now. So, then I can shred paper and junk mail for wood stove as I get it. That would be much easier than having to sit down with a couple of big boxes of paper to shred. I think my DD is caving to SIL's request to change out their fireplace for a wood stove. They have a gas insert that will all have to be changed out, but it can be done. She said that she doesn't think the people she bought the house from ever used it. So, she will need to get an inspection first.  She doesn't have generator back up that will run the furnance so she needs to do something in case they lose power in winter.

• Like 1

No fireplace at the new house. One day, I'd like to knock out a wall and have a pot belly stove put in. If I live long enough to afford it. :rolleyes:  Son's have a wood fireplace in their new house. The Indy house is sort of an open concept so there aren't many walls to use for a chimney I'd have to have a room built onto the back of the house. 

• Like 3

Up early. Will walk when it gets light.
Walk dogs.
Make cookies- 3 ingredient peanut butter ones and lots of them to take to Church, tomorrow.
Sit outside with pups now that it is a bit cooler. 64 now. 75 high and 45 tonight. Time to put the electric blankets on the bed so we don't use the central heat as much!

• Like 4

Weather here is cloudy and starting to rain. We have some sprinkling now. So, working in yard today is out. Already a bit wet to get the flower beds done. Will work in house today. I want to finish cleaning up in sewing room and hopefully at least get the blinds and windows cleaned and then hang the curtains back up. Some days I just feel overwhelmed but it all will get done. Just wish I was able to get it all done much faster. But it is what it is. 

I want to plan out a better garden area as where mine larger garden is, is now covered over from the trees behind the shed. It was too much shade this past summer and will more than likely be even shadier. I need to remove my 2 clothesline poles and put them somewhere else but would need help getting them out of the ground. Cemented in, so will be hard to dig out. That area would make a great garden area. Might just leave them and maybe put all raised bed garden boxes across that part of the yard. All sun and would work much better and be a much larger area to work with. I have plans for the flower beds if I can do it. I want to remove the brick border across the front yard and just let the grass grow there and not have front yard flower beds. At my age it would be easier to just cut grass than keep weeding out the beds. They have totally gotten away from me this year. I learned the hard way that when my knee went out and doctor would not send me to orthopedic that I just can't do what I used to. Knee has not healed but I am not limping like I was before but very hard to get up and down off my knees now. So new plans in the making. 

• Like 3

Up early again.
Going to cook the Cowboy beans and make Sausage Balls with Candied Jalapenos to take to Church. Peanut butter cookies are going in the car shortly.
Church and fellowship- I will stay and clean up.
Nothing else, I hope!

• Like 2

Got home from Church a while ago. Will be going to neighbor's house shortly to let their dog out. Then will just rest today.  Will be a busy day tomorrow. Might go to Bible study tonight. It starts at 4:00. Trying hard now to get back into doing things at church again. We have a new pastor that is really good. His wife is great. She is starting to get a lot of things going in church now. So, the chili cook off is on the 23ed. Will need to make a pot of chili for that. Just need to decide rather I want to make regular chili or white chili. Still have plenty of time to decide on that. 

• Like 3

Hello all I'm back to feeling more myself. Almost all better.  Got out into the garden yesterday and cleared out all the tomato vines and then planted 40 cloves of garlic.  We had a huge temperature shift in our area this week going from 90 down to the high 60's-mid 70's with it in the 40's at night so fall has arrived and it is such a relief the heat was starting to feel oppressive. I love having the windows open and to air out the house especially after everyone being ill.

• Like 4

Becca Anne, glad you are feeling better. Hopefully you and family won't get it again. Sounds like you had a busy day in garden yesterday.  I pulled up the last of my tomato plants a few days ago. Still have carrots to pull though. They should be about ready now. Going to check those tomorrow. 

Weather here is getting colder now. It is 56* now. But still haven't had to turn on heat. But it's coming. Tomorrow will be sunny, and up to I think 64*. So good day for working in yard. 

GD is more than likely going to have the baby real soon. She was in labor for 12 hours the other night. But no baby yet. DD said she lost most of the mucus plug so it is anytime now. 

GD from Washington State said her DH lost his grandmother and he is down for the funeral. He's in Norfolk with his brother and sister now and they are leaving in morning to head to Connecticut for the funeral. GD didn't come down with him as she was there with her MIL while she was in hospital for a while and can't afford to miss anymore work. 

Jeepers, hopefully, you will be able to figure out a way to put in a wood stove. Don't know how your house is set up other than open floor plan but if you have an outside wall, you might be able to run pipe up through attic and roof and not have to build a room for it. You don't need a chimney to do it that way. I was going to do that but changed my mind as most of the heat was through the door area, so I faced it towards the hall to force heat down the hall to bedrooms. It worked really well for that.

• Like 5

Hi everyone.  Good to hear you're all feeling better Becca Anne.  Everyone else is status quo. 

I had a lovely ride on Sat.  Sky was our special Colorado BLUE with no clouds.  Warm.  And the aspens are golden right now.  No rain to beat them down and turn black too fast.  :hapydancsmil:    Course.....leaf season means more traffic, esp weekends.  :shrug:  

I'm having a rough time with fatigue.....but in my life, there is this thing we call Fall Fatigue Thing.  I think I'm in it.  The activities I'm doing now were not wearing me out as they have been the last couple of weeks.  :scratchhead:   And this is certainly the season when I get that so maybe I'll ask the neurologist.  It didn't help that I woke with a slight headache and it got worse.  A lot worse.  DH adjusted me .....still was bad so after a few hours, he did a specific click on one neck vertebrae.   Then a while later it finally cleared the headache.  From 7am to 5pm.  Hmmph.  Wasted day and it wore me out. 

But  :)  I did get to finish Book 3 or 4  Bobby Akart's series on life after a Solar Flare knocks out everything in NY and the region.  Got the whole set of 4 for one or two dollars each.  I like his books .....he does tons of research and puts in all kinds of details.....but they're short for their usual price.  I get them when he has a deal.  

I'm running into bedtime as usual but I need to get sleep.  With the headache, I need to wash and deal with my hair in the morning....before the neurologist appt in later afternoon. 

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 2

Up early again. Will walk first.
Laundry already going.
Will dehydrate sweet potato slices for dog treats.
Nothing else planned.

I'm glad that you and yours are feeling better @Becca_Anne!

And I'm sorry that you are in "Fall fatigue" @Mt_Rider!

I hope you all have a great week!

• Like 2

Switching out the summer and winter clothes. It got down to 46* last night and I never turned on the heat. Yes, it was cold early this morning. Turned heat on a while ago. But have it down on 65. So, it won't come on. It's now 69 in house. So will stay that temp most of the day in the house. I am late this year getting a lot of things ready for winter, but it won't take long to get it done. 

Got the message this morning that GD is now in full labor. So, sitting by phone for the news. She doesn't want anyone at house or any phone calls till she gives the word as she is having this baby at home. Will be heading to GD's house later after baby is born after she and her DH have had some time alone together with the baby first. She has had false labor off and on for about 2 weeks. So now is the real deal. 

• Like 3

Just got pictures of the baby not long ago. Mom did ok during the delivery but was sick to her stomach the whole time. She's sore but doing ok now. Hopefully she will get some much-needed rest.  Baby weighed in at 7lbs 6.7ozs. and 19 1/2 inches long. And a head full of hair. 

Edited by Littlesister
  • Like 4

Walked first.
Went to bank and paid off house. Yay!
Local grocery.
Handyman came over to see what all we need done.
Still have to prep meat and veggies for making dog food this afternoon. It will cook overnight and get pressure canned tomorrow.

22 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Mom and baby are doing great.

That's great news!

• Like 4

Congratulations Littlesister :wub:

Mt Rider glad your Headache finally went away. Hope you start feeling better soon

Miki how wonderful Congratulations!!:hapydancsmil:

It's so much cooler here now haven't turned on the heat yet but probably will need to soon. Focused on work today but did manage to get to the library to pick up a book I have on hold. Also just finished reading the Handmaid's Tale for my library book group. I have been reading a lot more lately. And knitting, almost done making a shawl for myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Been a slower day today. Though DD keeps texting me all day now. Baby pictures coming in. Will be going tomorrow to visit GD and new baby. DD and SIL will be here this weekend.  Baby has both daddy and mommy features. But all changes as she gets older. She does have a full head of hair. 

Today paid bills and went through winter clothes. Then went through more paperwork.  Cleaned some in the house as well. 

Miki, that is a great feeling getting house paid off. I know you are glad. I am working on paying off some bills again as GS was putting me in a bad position. Not going to happen again. He best be hunting hard for a job. Though if he doesn't hold that temper of his, he will get fired again. Not the first rodeo we have been down with him. But for me it is the last. 

Turning cooler here. But mostly nights and early mornings. Then in the 70's. I did turn on heat as it was getting down in the 40's here. Seems a bit early for the 40's yet. But hopefully it won't get any colder for a while. 

Edited by Littlesister
hit wrong button again
  • Like 3

It's raining now, so I will walk at some point.
Will pressure can the dog food that cooked overnight.
That's all on my list! Other stuff comes up, but that's the biggie.

10 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Turning cooler here.

Here too and thankfully rain!

• Like 2

After family leaves this weekend. Then next week I am going to start emptying the freezers. I want everything canned that I can possibly can. Soups, Spaghetti sauce and lots of other things as well as meat. Need to check to see how much beef stew I have left. If low, I will be canning more of that as well. I am looking to see if I can make squash soup and can it. I am overflowing with tromboncino squash. I need to do something with it. Just not sure how I want to use some of it yet. Gave some away to 3 neighbors yesterday and am still overloaded. That stuff just keeps on giving. 

Will be calling GD in a bit and then head over to her house. Want to see if there is anything she needs me to bring her before leaving here. 

I must say, it does feel good to have my freedom back. GS has been staying at his apartment but will be on streets after the 12th of November. I hate to see that happen, but he needs to learn a tough lesson. Yes, tough love is hard but a much-needed thing to have him wake up to the facts of life. I can't have him put me in the position he had me in before. I am now paying off bills from his stupidity. So, he will be having his bills going to collections before long.

• Like 4

Congrats on your house Miki. I almost missed that!  

I was supposed to have a hearing test today at Costco but one ear had some wax in it and the other ear was nearly blocked. It surprised me because I have been keeping them cleaned out (I thought) with both sweet oil and peroxide. Then flushing them out with water. So, on the way home I stopped in the local   Cleveland Clinic   Metro Health Clinic and asked for an appointment. Turned out I didn't need one. They took me right in. OMG, the pain was nearly unbearable. I nearly came up off of the seat. My eyes and nose both started running wildly. I think it was going down into my eustachion (sp) tubes. I thought she would never get done. She dug and flushed and dug some more. Then did a peroxide soak with another flush. She flushed each ear about 6-7 times. Crimony. At one point she did ask me if I wanted to stop but I was in too deep (and so was she :D) to stop now. One ear is actually bleeding a little. There is still a little wax in one ear but the doctor said to use baby oil in it and do a flush myself. I bought some baby oil but will forgo the flush until the ears settle down. What an ordeal. I don't hear any better but thanks to the baby oil I smell pretty good. 

I stopped by the house. It is starting to come together. A little. I have to choose a different bathroom vanity as they no longer make the one I chose. I told him to order early! I'll find something else though. Good thing I'm not picky. They are hoping the kitchen cabinets will arrive this week and be installed next week. The baseboards have all been painted. There is one little snafu concerning the fridge. Since I'm moving it over, they have to install a new outlet and to be up to code it needs to be on it's own circuit breaker. Also it needs a new longer water line. And the outlet for the microwave needs to be either lowered or raised up. I can't remember. None of that should cause much of a delay though.  Maybe by one day. But it is going to cost more. Sigh.

I spent most of last night online looking at canning sites. I don't really have anything canned up now and no way to do it. So whenever I get a kitchen I have decided to can some half pint jars of frozen veggies. It's too late to plant anything and it will be too late to buy fresh. But it's driving me crazy not having home canned food. I saw a few women doing it and it looked like it turned out good. And very easy too. Sometimes I like to eat a can of corn or peas just as a snack. The one year I grew my own peas and canned them they came out awful. They were mushy and cloudy and murky in the bottom of the jar. I think they might have been too mature? Will have to bring my canner and some jars back over to OH from IN.  :rolleyes:

BTW, hearing tests at Costco are free if you have a membership! My audiologist was named Sunshine Flowers.  :D

Edited by Jeepers
I said Cleveland Clinic. It is Metro Clinic. Sheeesh.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1