MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Are You Canning Today??

I can’t find the old one... ?? I know it was here in The Kitchen, under Preserving The Harvest. Am I lost? Crazy? (Don’t answer that!!! :24:)

Anywho... started another batch of sauce. 12 qts tomato juice in the pot with the automatic stirrer doing it’s thang! 
Last batch was 15-24oz jars. All sealed! YAY!! :cele:

• Like 3

The old ‘What are you canning’ does appear to be missing. :shrug:   Thankfully I didn’t touch it so didn’t lose it!!  :grinning-smiley-044:  But will help look for it! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Mother said:

The old ‘What are you canning’ does appear to be missing. :shrug:   Thankfully I didn’t touch it so didn’t lose it!!  :grinning-smiley-044:  But will help look for it! 

Well, thank goodness I’m not crazy!! Or if I am... I’m not the only one! <bigcheesygrin> 

:bighug2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I haven't moved anything. But not for lack of trying. I couldn't find the buttons that said to move.   :D

Oh wait...maybe something did move. The canning thread is now in the Urban Farm forum. But I didn't delete anything. It might have been me after all. Crimony.  I'm not touching anything else. Can someone move it back to the preserving forum. I thought I only moved my one post. It was probably me.  Sigh.   

Darlene   :sSig_help2: 

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
43 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Can someone move it back to the preserving forum.

:blink:  You aren’t looking at me, are you???  You at least only moved it.  I might have deleted the whole thing!!!  😳

Maybe you could just do a reverse spell on it?  You know, Pocus Hokus and beat it with your magic wand???  

:reading: There must be a magic potion or something…….

:laughkick:  
((((((((((((((((((Jeepers))))))))))))))).  Don’t worry. It’s not lost, just playing keep away in a different forum.  Someone will come along to fix it.   :hug3:

• Haha 4

Are we officially playing *Tag* yet?? :008Laughing:

I tried to edit the title of this to say Part 9, but couldn’t figure out how, so added Part 9 as a tag. 

As far as I’m concerned, we’re all good. :grouphug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 4 months later...

Well.

I found my big canner, the 23 quart I think it is, the one that holds two layers of jars. 

The bottom is round.  The pop-out plug is popped out and loose.  But mostly, the bottom is round, like the kind of kettle you hang over a fire.  It will never again sit flat on a stove eye.  It could possibly work somehow as a pot with a fire-ring to hold it up, but not by my hand. 

I tossed it.  

I think I will hide the little 16-qt canner.

• Sad 3

Canned 12 jars of hamburger and 12 jars of the thin steaks, plus 8 jars of chicken breast. 

The chicken breast and the last 8 jars of steak is in canner now.  So far all have sealed. Hoping these last 2 canners will also seal. They are still going. 

• Like 1

I got my green beans canned. I ended up with 36 half pints. I canned them in chicken broth. They are looking good. All sealed. 

I bought 4 pound bags of frozen whole green beans from Gordon Food Service. The are really nice. I thawed them in warm water before canning. They are limp (not soft) and fit very nicely in the jars. I could mash them down in the jars to get a good fit. Sort of like blanched beans. Two 4 pound bags made 24 half pints. If I remember correctly. I bought 3 bags and got 36 half pints. I have about a half a bag left. I bought them a long time ago and I can't remember what I paid for them. But $7.75 a bag is ringing a bell.  Anyway, I can really recommend the GFS frozen whole green beans. Not one bad bean and only one little stem. 

Wish I could post pictures. I'm taking them and saving them in my phone.

• Like 2

My DGD has now started feeding the baby food. She makes her own. I am thinking about making it and canning it. Just need to get the jars and make sure of the texture. This would be something new I would do. So not sure yet on what I will do. She's not on meats or anything and I am not sure if I could puree meats to can or not. But going to look into doing some foods. 

Jeepers, glad you found the Kerr jars. You are doing great getting all the veggies canned. I didn't know Gordon foods were still around. Glad they are. They do have some good products. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

My DGD has now started feeding the baby food. She makes her own. I am thinking about making it and canning it

Be sure to check with your GD first.  Some mothers don’t want their babies to have canned foods, believing fresh is best. Most of our grands fed their babies fresh. Several of them started with Avocado. 

• Like 3
On 4/2/2024 at 11:21 AM, Ambergris said:

Well.

I found my big canner, the 23 quart I think it is, the one that holds two layers of jars. 

The bottom is round.  The pop-out plug is popped out and loose.  But mostly, the bottom is round, like the kind of kettle you hang over a fire.  It will never again sit flat on a stove eye.  It could possibly work somehow as a pot with a fire-ring to hold it up, but not by my hand. 

I tossed it.  

I think I will hide the little 16-qt canner.

It is best that you tossed it because once upon a time it probably ran dry and ruined it for future canning - pressure canning that is. The "safety plug" could have been replaced, and a new gasket used, but once the bottom is distorted like that it is not safe to use as a pressure canner anymore. :(

• Like 3

Mother, I will be checking with her before I do anything. She is doing nothing but organic for the baby. She just turned 6 months old and has never had anything but breast milk so far. My worry is that she is giving her chunks of food to eat, and she has no teeth yet and both my DD and I are afraid if she doesn't puree it or at least cut it up really fine she might get choked. She is going to have to watch her closely. 

• Like 3

I was watching a YouTube channel about canning. I can't remember what it was but it was about canners being flat and stable.

The problem this person had was, she had cleaned her stove and didn't get the grates on her gas stove aligned perfectly. The one under her canner was tilted just a tad. Because her canner didn't set perfectly level over the fire, it messed up her canning process.

I wish I could remember what all she said went wrong. I THINK it was that it took forever for the canner to build up pressure and most of her jars failed. If I ever run across the video, I'll watch it again to see what all she said. 

But the crux of the story was to make sure your canner sets level and not slanted to one side. Her canner was perfect but her stove grate wasn't on straight. So your canner might not can correctly but would make a good soup pot. 

I think you are right, Mother, about it running dry at one point. I saw a woman with a wobbly canner and she said it had run dry at one time. 

Or was it Midnightmom who said that? Anyway the d*mn thing went dry. :D

Edited by Jeepers
Somebody said something. I can't remember.
  • Like 2

I had many years ago a smaller canner that went bad. But it wasn't the bottom but the part on top that connects the lid. For some reason the lid stayed loose even with a new gasket. Ended up having to buy a new canner. So that one ended up just being a regular pan for cooking soups and such. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Littlesister said:

My worry is that she is giving her chunks of food to eat, and she has no teeth yet and both my DD and I are afraid if she doesn't puree it or at least cut it up really fine she might get choked. She is going to have to watch her closely. 

I was concerned about this as well with my great grands but it seems to be working for all of them.  Check out this link or some of the other info on Baby Led Weaning. https://www.yummytoddlerfood.com/first-foods-for-baby/  

• Thanks 1

Thank you for that information, Mother. It also gives me ideas for what I need to buy for the baby when she is here. 

Been working on things I pulled out of bedroom closet. Boxed up a load of purses, I don't know where they all came from but are going to good will. I will never use all those.  Getting rid of a lot of shoes as I can't wear them any longer. I have to have shoes I can put inserts in for plantar fasciitis and a bone spur. I don't wear dress shoes to church much because of it but then also my church doesn't dress up for church. It's a come as you are. So, jeans and a tee shirt work fine. Though I will see which pair of dress shoes I can wear without any issues and hold on to that one pair. Now that it is getting time to change out the winter and summer clothes, I will be boxing up a lot of clothes to go also. Then to clean up the closet and get things put away in an organized manor.  

We are going to have bad weather for the next 2 days. So, yard work is out for at least 3 days. It will need to dry up a bit to get back into the flower beds.

• Like 3

I had a canner go dry and warp when canning dry beans (90 minutes). It was a new canner, but cheap. Trashed it. 

The problem with a canner not being level is that the jiggler won’t jiggle correctly. My canner (AA) does that now because I have a cheap stove that *rolls* to the center. (Like my stupid mattress!! :tapfoot:) So my canner isn’t level. I’ve adjusted for/to it, although it still ticks me off. 

• Like 3

The baby loves carrots. So, GD and I talked about my canning some baby food that she will be able to have on the ready. She is going to puree it with bits of chunks in it and I will can it in the smallest jars. So will be doing carrots, green beans, potatoes, and not sure what else yet. Potatoes will be so all she needs to do is mash them up. That would be an easy thing. We are only going to do enough that when she doesn't have time to fix it up in the baby blender or whatever it is she has to make baby food. The baby didn't go for the chunks of food to well but is doing good when it is pureed.  

• Like 3

27 half pints chopped pablano/anaheim peppers 

• Like 2