MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Are You Canning Today??

Ran up to Food Lion a while ago to pick up some things for subs. GS wanted subs for dinner. So, he now has everything for them. He discovered while at work that Food Lion is selling the Subway sauces. So, he bought a couple of different ones. So, I ran up there and got the sub rolls, tomatoes and red onion. Already had green peppers and cheese. Went back to see if they had anymore hamburger as I had bought the last 4 packs they had the other day. They had refilled the meat case and I got 6 more packs. So, will be canning hamburger again if not tomorrow will do it Sunday afternoon. It was on sale for $4.89 and it is usually up to around $8.00 for the 93%. So wasn't going to let that price go. That will give me enough hamburger to get me through a year with what I had already canned. 

• Like 2

I forgot to add that I used 2 each of these lids today when canning the peppers. I have no idea how old they are, but the original price on one is 0.37c. I got them at a yard sale last summer for $1 each. I figured if they sealed, then I’ll use them on the next batch. All of them sealed. :canning:

85FA04B1-21F8-4DAE-8707-4365A5E1604F.jpeg

• Like 2

Necie, you can put those in the antique section. They are really old. Glad they will still work. Never heard of Mom's mason jar lids. Bet they don't make that brand any longer. 

I am canning hamburger tomorrow.  

• Like 1

I used to have some of the Moms canning jars. I got them in the late 1970's. They came out during the canning crisis when you couldn't get Ball jars or lids anywhere. It was worse then than it was during C-19. They were actually very nice. They were more square shaped and the pints seemed a little shorter than Ball jars. Still a pint but shaped differently. They had a picture of a woman in the kitchen, doing something, embossed on the front of each jar.  I got rid of mine a number if years ago when I thought I was through canning. Yes, I've been canning since the 1970's. :blush:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I used to have some of the Moms canning jars. They were more square shaped and the pints seemed a little shorter than Ball jars. Still a pint but shaped differently. 

I have some jars like that, too. But these are NEW jars. I can only fit 8 into the canner at a time instead of 9 and they take up just the tiniest amount of extra space on the shelf so it throws off the whole symmetry of stacking them. They say mason on the back of the jar, but that just means canning for these jars - not the brand name bacause it isn't stylized like the logo would be.

(BTW, these were gifted to me so I have no idea of the brand. )

IMG_20240310_195845.thumb.jpg.c9c11f368303420d2b814db7e0970ad6.jpg

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 2

I also have been canning since the early 70's but I really don't remember the mom's canning jars or lids. Or maybe they didn't sale them on the east coast of VA.

I thought for a while my canning days were over till, I married my DH in 1985. I have been heavy into canning again ever since. It has slowed down a bit since DH's passing but I am still canning. 

I got my Mom's jars in southern Indiana. That jar is definitely not a Moms jar. Mom's had a picture of an Aunt Bea (Mayberry) type of woman doing something with food embossed on it. And the word Mom's written across the top of the jar. 

Stacking jar issues is one of the reasons I like Kerr. They are all the same size. Even some of my wide mouth Ball jars are a a tad different in height. Same style of jar. Just not the same exact size. I only noticed it when I would try to stack them. 

Wide mouth jars are different. I can only fit 8 in my canner too. Regardless of whether they are Ball or Kerr. If I'm not mistaken, I can get 13 half pints in the bottom of my canner and only 12 in the top. It might be an issue with the rack but I use the same kind for the top and bottom of the canner. I could be wrong about that. I'll pay better attention next time I can.    :shrug:

1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

MidnightMom we were typing at the same time. Seeing that jar I have a couple of those jars. They have that same picture on them. Didn't know they were Mom's jars. 

I didn't say they were "Mom's" jars, I just said I had some other brand that is "fatter" and "squatter" than Ball & Kerr jars are. Can only fit 8 of them in the canner at one time. ;)

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Wide mouth jars are different. I can only fit 8 in my canner too. Regardless of whether they are Ball or Kerr. If I'm not mistaken, I can get 13 half pints in the bottom of my canner and only 12 in the top. It might be an issue with the rack but I use the same kind for the top and bottom of the canner. I could be wrong about that. I'll pay better attention next time I can.    :shrug:

Can only get 7 quart jars in the canner at one time. Nine jars is for the pint size jars........................ unless it's a load of the ones that are "fatter." :canning:

• Like 2

MidnightMom, Gotta on that jar. I was thinking since we were talking about the mom's jars that I was thinking that was what that jar was. 

I have mostly Ball jars. I can get 8 wide mouth and 9 small mouth quarts in the canner. On the pints I can get 10 wide mouth and 12 small mouth. I cannot stack my jars as there is not enough head space between the stove top and the vent hood.

• Like 2

I am going to start filling my quarts with water and canning it. Cheaper than buying bottled water and if going somewhere that I want to take a bottle of water, I have stainless steel bottles for the car that I can pour a jar of water into my stainless-steel bottle. I also need to get my Berkey water system set back up. It got packed away during the remodel and construction and I never set it back up. I have it unpacked again now but just need to set it up again. 

Will be canning that hamburger tomorrow. With the price of meat going up again and the possibility that there will be even more shortages of it. I will be glad I got more of it to can up. Might do some of it for meat balls again also. Those were good.

• Like 1

I still have Mom’s jars. I’m thinking they’re 24 ounce size though. IDK... I might have quart and/or pint. Seems there is a company that uses Mom’s jars... spaghetti sauce? pickles? Now I’m going to have to pay attention when I’m shopping. I think it’s Classico(sp?) spaghetti sauce that uses regular canning jars. 

• Like 2

It's Classico spaghetti sauce Necie. I have a few of those. They are very nice square jars with ATLAS embossed on two adjoining sides. I think the verdict is out whether they will stand up to pressure canning or not. Depending who you talk to I guess. I haven't tried canning with them but I wouldn't hesitate waterbath canning with them or vacuum sealing them. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

I think the verdict is out whether they will stand up to pressure canning or not. Depending who you talk to I guess.

Wellll... if you talk to me... they work fine. :008Laughing:

I’ve never had a problem with any jar that fits a regular canning lid (small or large mouth). Or any reused jar with a lug lid. Why, yes, I do reuse any jar I can get my hands on! :happy0203:

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Necie said:

Wellll... if you talk to me... they work fine. :008Laughing:

You talkin to me? You talkin to me!

Yeah, I'm talkin to you.

Said in my best DeNiro accent from Taxi. :D

• Haha 3

Canning is done. :hapydancsmil:Got 12 pints of hamburger, one pint of shaved ribeye steak and 2 pints of top round thin steak. They were in the fridge and was not going to use them fast enough so figured I would finish filling the second canner with it. Really wasn't enough to can but all worked out in the end. 

• Like 2

@Jeepers

Was it you that wanted to put-up corned beef?

I've treid the CB that comes in the same size and shape of SPAM cans. Did not like it at all!!!

Was shopping at the Grocery Outlet and found this! Like it says on the can, it was chunky - but not soft and mushy at all. I made a very tasty Reuben sandwhich (or two) with it. Am going back to the store to pick up a few more cans. :yum3:

IMG_20240413_212916.thumb.jpg.d0b80e104c60fa923e1b866e3304d5a8.jpg   IMG_20240413_213222.thumb.jpg.d3430e85fa666d5fcbe317de3dba1cf2.jpg

IMG_20240413_202416.thumb.jpg.b29523809620ffb0e7a0e5f99f894213.jpg      IMG_20240413_211533.thumb.jpg.411d2f8a9e5822fad7f5fe1ce85ab85e.jpg

IMG_20240413_202449.thumb.jpg.b5e8fd48ecbd74e7ad0dea263cedacbe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it was me but I do like to have it in the pantry and I'm out of it now. So I probably did mention it. That looks soooo good. 

I've canned corned beef before though. I bought the big slab that you get at the store in the fresh meat section around St. Patrick's Day. 

I pressure cooked it, tore it all apart to get all the fat out of it (that was a real pain in the rear!) And pressure canned it in half pints for reuben's. It turned out good but it wasn't so much like a spread. It was more like roast beef. 

The only corned beef I've seen around here is corned beef hash. With potatoes in it.  Something like Marys Kitchen or Armor brands. I've never heard of that brand but I'll certainly look for it. :thumbs:

• Like 3

I have never heard of or seen that brand around here. The Reuben sandwich looks good.

I have several cans of the corn beef hash in cans that I use to make corn beef and cabbage and other things. I also have the corned beef hash with the potatoes in it. That is great with eggs for breakfast. 

Checked my jars a while ago and all have sealed. 

• Like 1

Another 27 half pints of chopped pablano/anaheim peppers.

And 7 qts of venison/veggie soup. 

I went to look at the canning time for the soup and it’s 90 minutes. Same as meat. 🤷‍♀️ Doesn’t make sense to me, but that’s what I did. Don’t know why, but I was thinking 40-45 minutes. Hasn’t been that long since I canned it. 🥴 D@mn CRS!! 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Necie said:

I went to look at the canning time for the soup and it’s 90 minutes. Same as meat. 🤷‍♀️ Doesn’t make sense to me, but that’s what I did. Don’t know why, but I was thinking 40-45 minutes. Hasn’t been that long since I canned it. 🥴 D@mn CRS!!

My rule of thumb for canning things like soup or mixed foods was to can for the item with the longest time. In your case meat. 

I have CRS too…..but I finally have old age to blame it on! :008Laughing:

• Haha 1