Romain salad with feta cheese and walnuts with cranberry vinegarette

Rolls

Pumpkin pie and pecan pumbkin pie.

It was all great

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a spoonful or two in hot cereal, or about a half-cup to a cup could be used in baking cakes / muffins etc, or in puddings.

rum raisins a spoonfull or two on cereal in the morning? oh baby! starts your day off right! a little spoonfull on a ham and cheese sandwich <wink> another spoonfull all by itself in the afternoon.. hiccup! oh excuse me.

another spoonfull at dinner.. over mashed potatos and one in the salad...

you are too cute!

now that I will be buying rum..for my raisins and medicinal purposes.... like oh I need my rum... I have a teenager!

I wonder if I could pour it over

Baked Brandied Cranberries

"Almost 25 years ago, my neighbor gave me this recipe.

The brandy helps to cut down on the tartness of the cranberries, while the sugar gives it just enough sweetness.

It's great to serve during the holidays.

2-( 12 ounce ) bags cranberries

2 cups granulated sugar

1/4 cup brandy

1/3 cup granulated sugar

Place the cranberries in a glass 13x9x2-inch baking dish.

Cover the cranberries with the 2 cups of sugar; do not stir.

Cover tightly with aluminum foil.

Bake 50-55 minutes in a 350 degree oven; until the cranberries burst.

Remove from oven. Remove foil and stir. Let stand 10 minutes.

Drizzle with the brandy. Stir in the 1/3 cup of sugar.

Cool to room temperature; then refrigerate.

Makes 6 to 8 servings. "

rather then brandy? hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

well if I wasn't an alcoholic before I am now!

now about that jar of Maraschino cherries, drain and pour 151 rum over them.. wait 1 year and eat!

(WESTBROOK)

• 11 months later...

Here it is in it's ENTIRE form... well, without the smileys...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10/24/04

quiltys41

Ok everyone...how about some favorite Thanksgiving recipes to brighten everyones kitchens and get those tummies growling...and NO we cant all have just desserts all day How about some turkey recipes that use a deep fryer or some good old home tried and true cornbread dressing? Anyone ever have a recipe by Justin Wilson for sweet potato pecan pie from his first cookbook? (OK, just a little dessert) Im hoping for something different but not exotic for my thanksgiving table this year.

westbrook

I just raise and dress out the turkey I don't have to cook it!

I cook turkey all year long..it is off to Grandma house for Thanksgiving.

but when I do cook a turkey, I bake it breast side down.

unikemom

I'll get out my recipe file and post a couple of ideas here, tomorrow when I have a little more time....

unikemom

For Thanksgiving we always have the traditional Turkey, and a ham, dressing, mashed potatoes, a sweet potato dish, and several veggies, and of course more than enough desserts. Here are a couple of my favorite recipes.....

ORANGE GLAZED SWEET POTATOES

6 SWEET POTATOES

3/4 CUP BOILING WATER

1 TSP.SALT

3 TBSP. BUTTER

1/2TBSP. ORANGE ZEST

1 TBSP. ORANGE JUICE

3/4 CUP LIGHT CORN SYRUP

1/4 CUP PACKED BROWN SUGAR

RAISINS (OPTIONAL)

1 CUP PECAN HALVES

SLICE SWEET POTATOES/ COMBINE PEEL, JUICE, CORN SYRUP, AND BROWN SUGAR. ADD SWEET POTATOES, BOILING WATER, AND SALT TO A LARGE SAUCEPAN. SIMMER, COVERED, UNTIL TENDER; THIS SHOULD TAKE ABOUT 15 MINUTES. DRAIN OFF LIQUID.LEAVING 1/4 CUP IN SKILLET. DOT POTATOES WITH BUTTER OR MARGARINE. POUR ORANGE JUICE MIXTURE OVER POTATOES. COOK, UNCOVERED,OVER LOW HEAT UNTIL GLAZED, AN ADDITIONAL 15 MINUTES. BASTE OFTEN AND TURN ONCE WHILE COOKING. MAKES 6 SERVINGS...

****ROAST PECANS AND SPRINKLE ONTO POTATOES BEFORE SERVING***

SQUASH CASSEROLE

6CUPS YELLOW SQUASH ( CAN BE 1/2 AND 1/2 YELLOW AND ZUCCHINI)

2TBSP. VEGETABLE OIL

1 BUNCH OF GREEN ONIONS, (CHOPPED)

4 TBSP. BUTTER

1/2 CUP SOUR CREAM

1 TSP. HOUSE SEASONING (RECIPE FOLLOWS)

1 CUP GRATED CHEDDAR CHEESE

1 CUP. CRUSHED RITZ CRACKERS

PLACE VEGETABLE OIL IN SKILLET, ADD SQUASH,(I ADD A LITTLE WATER TO MINE, ABOUT 1/4 CUP) COOK UNTIL SQUASH IS TENDER. IN SECOND SKILLET ADD BUTTER AND SAUTEE GREEN ONIONS UNTIL TENDER.

WHEN ONIONS ARE TENDER, POUR THEM OVER INTO SKILLET WITH SQUASH, THEN ADD SOUR CREAM AND HOUSE SEASONING, MIX UNTIL WELL BLENDED.

IN A GREASED CASSEROLE, POUR SQUASH INTO DISH, TOP WITH RITZ CRACKERS, AND CHEDDAR CHEESE, PLACE IN A 350* OVEN UNTIL CHEESE IS MELTED.

______

HOUSE SEASONING

GARLIC POWDER

SALT

PEPPER

SEASON SALT

____

ASPARAGUS AND PROSCIUTTO

2 POUNDS ASPARAGUS( HALF GREEN/ HALF WHITE)

1 TSP. SALT

2 TBSP. BUTTER

2 TBSP. OLIVE OIL

1/4 POUND PROSCIUTTO, CHOPPED

GRATED RICOTTA SALADA

BRING LARGE POT OF WATER TO A BOIL AND ADD SALT. ADD ASPARAGUS AND COOK UNCOVERED UNTIL KNIFE IS EASILY INSERTED. THEN DRAIN ASPARAGUS. IN A LARGE SKILLET HEAT BUTTER AND OIL. ADD PROSCIUTTO AND FRY UNTIL IT BEGINS TO CRISP. ADD ASPARAGUS AND HEAT THROUGH. TRANSFER ASPARAGUS AND PROSCIUTTO TO SERVING PLATTER AND SPRINKLE WITH CHEESE.

______

SAVANNAH BOW TIES

1 SHEET OF PUFF PASTRY

1/2 CUP ALMOND PASTE

1 EGG YOLK, WHITE RESERVED

1/4 CUP BROWN SUGAR

2 TEASPOONS MILK

1 EGG WHITE

SUGAR , FOR SPRINKLING

CHOCOLATE DIPPING SAUCE, RECIPE FOLLOWS

LET PASTRY STAND AT ROOM TEMPERATURE FOR 20 MINUTES OR UNTIL EASY TO ROLL. UNFOLD PASTRY ON A LIGHTLY FLOURED SURFACE. ROLL INTO A 14-INCH SQUARE. CUT SQUARE IN HALF WITH A FLUTED PASTRY WHEEL (PIZZA CUTTER). PREHEAT OVEN TO 400* DEGREES.

FOR FILLING: CRUMBLE ALMOND PASTE IN A SMALL MIXING BOWL. ADD EGG YOLK, BROWN SUGAR, AND MILK. BEAT WITH AN ELECTRIC MIXER ON MEDIUM SPEED UNTIL WELL MIXED. SPREAD FILLING OVER 1 PASTRY HALF. PLACE REMAINING PASTRY HALF ON TOP OF FILLING. USING FLUTED PASTRY WHEEL, CUT DOUGH CROSSWISE INTO FOURTEEN 1- INCH WIDE STRIPS. THEN CUT EACH STRIP IN HALF CROSSWISE TO MAKE 28 PIECES. TWIST EACH PIECE TWICE. PLACE TWISTS ABOUT 2 INCHES APART ON COOKIE SHEETS LINED WITH FOIL OR PARCHMENT PAPER. BRUSH TWISTS WITH SLIGHTLY BEATEN EGG WHITE. SPRINKLE WITH SUGAR.

BAKE FOR 12 TO 15 MINUTES OR UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN. TRANSFER TO WIRE RACKS TO COOL. SERVE WITH CHOCOLATE DIPPING SAUCE.

*** ALMOND FILLING WILL BE VERY STIFF. TO MAKE SPREADING EASIER, DROP A DOLLOP OF FILLING UNIFORMLY OVER PASTRY, SPRAY A PIECE OF WAX PAPER WITH NON STICK SPRAY, PRESS ALMOND PASTE EVENLY OVER ENTIRE DOUGH WITH ROLLING PIN.

CHOCOLATE DIPPING SAUCE

3/4 CUP SUGAR

2 TBSP. CORNSTARCH

1/4TSP. SALT

6 (1.5 OZ.) MILK CHOCOLATE BARS

2 CUPS WHIPPING CREAM

1 EGG YOLK, BEATEN

1/2 TSP. VANILLA

STIR TOGETHER IN SAUCEPAN SUGAR, CORNSTARCH, AND SALT. CRUMBLE CANDY BARS IN 1 AT A TIME. GRADUALLY STIR IN CREAM. COOK AND STIR IN MEDIUM HEAT UNTIL CHOCOLATE IS MELTED. TEMPER EGG YOLK WITH 1/2 CUP OF HOT SAUCE. ADD BACK TO POT AND COOK AND STIR UNTIL MIXTURE COMES TO A BOIL. REMOVE FROM HEAT. STIR IN VANILLA AND POUR INTO A SERVING BOWL. ANY REMAINING SAUCE CAN BE POURED INTO CUSTARD CUPS, REFRIGERATED AND SERVED AS PUDDING.....

OK, THAT IS JUST A FEW OF MY FAVORITES NOW SOMEONE ELSES TURN WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE RECIPES????/

Mare

Those yams sound so yummy! The squash casserole sounds something like a superb casserole I had at a restaurant called the Black-Eyed Pea in Wichita, KS. I will definately be trying those. Thanks!

This is one of our favorites......as well as Cavey's addition of bacon to the bird.

Cranberry Walnut Relish

½ C. granulated sugar (I cut it to 1/4)

1/4 C loosely packed dark brown sugar

1/4 C maple sugar

3/4 C water

1 T ground cinnamon

1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg

1 lb fresh or frozen cranberries

4 naval oranges, peeled and divided into segments

½ C. coarsely chopped walnut pieces

Bring the sugars, syrup, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook gently, 5 minutes. Add the cranberries and continue to simmer, uncovered, until half the berries ?pop?. Remove from heat and stir in the orange segments. Cool, stir in the walnut and serve.

Makes 5 cups. Prep time 5 min, cook time 10 min.

This recipe is so easy, and it tastes like Christmas smells.

georgene

Is Puff Pastry the same as Phillo dough? Your recipes sound wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Homesteader

The turkeys in Asia are pretty puney. They look more like bodybuilding chickens.

We're going to the local Japanese hotel and eat their buffet. I've never had gibblet gravey over rice before.

unikemom

Puff pastry and phyllo are similar, but puff pastry is a lot thicker dough and way easier to work with, where as phyllo is paper thin and tricky to work with.

quiltys41

Homesteader I laughed so hard reading that about the turkeys. Thanks so much for the laugh

quiltys41

I am going to try the orange glazed sweet potatoes this year cuz they sure do sound good and the cranberry relish is the recipe i have been looking for! this is going to be fun cooking! Ok, here is my contributions to the recipe fund:

===================

Scalloped Corn

2 cups canned corn

1 cup milk

2/3 cup cracker or bread crumbs

3 TBS melted butter

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 tsp pepper

1 TBS sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp minced onion

Beat the eggs and add milk and crumbs. Add the corn, onion, seasoning, and melted butter. Mix together well and pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Serves 6.

=========================

Cornbread dressing

1 cup diced celery

1 medium onion, chopped

1/4 cup butter

3 cups dried and crumbled cornbread

2 cups dried and crubled biscuits

1 TBS salt

1/4 tsp thyme

1/4 tsp sage (optional)

Mix all ingrediants well and stuff into turkey or cook along side turkey or ham in the pan. Add water or broth as needed to keep moist. (this came from an old farm cook book in the 1890's)

====================================

Willie Maes Peacan Pie

oven to 350

9" pie crust (recipe to follow)

mix together the following:

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 TBS flour

1 tsp salt

1 cup light kayro syrup

Beat in 2 eggs, one at a time. Add 1/2 cup evaporated milk, 1 cup peacans and 1 tsp vanilla. Bake 50 minutes till firm. Makes one delicious pie

====================================

Jeri's never fail pie crust

3 cups flour

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup shortening

1 egg, beaten

1 tsp vinegar

1/3 cup cold water

Mix flour and salt. Mix in shortening. Mix liquids together in seperate bowl and then add to flour mixture.

This will make enough dough for 3 double crust pies. It will keep in the fridge for 3 months and in the freezer up to a year. It never fails to come out flaky and you can roll it as much as you can and it still stays flaky. Even I cant mess this one up

Enjoy yall and keep them recipes coming

My4Girls

Deck the hall with boughs of rolly...fa ra ra ra...ra ra ra ra..No! No! It's fa la la la..la la la...lol I love that part.:)

Our favorite is always green beans with bacon, even though I cook it all the time. Fresh baked bread with lots of seeds and a little salt on top. Then for the turkey, I like to rub it all over with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and a touch of poultry seasoning. Then cook it at a higher temp. until the skin is brown and crisp, then turn down the heat and let it roast until done.

I think I'll try some squash casserole. I LOVE squash.

Savanahh bowties and scalloped corn, another fav., sound good too.

Love MOM

AlieKeith

Cranberry Walnut Relish

... 1/4 C maple sugar ...

So, Mare, what is maple sugar?

It sounds marvelous!

Is it maple syrup crystallized or similar?

And maybe something I could also use in baking recipes?

I am looking into gifts-in-a-jar, and maple sugar might be a good thing to give someone, if I had a recipe in which they could use it, like yours.

I've used the recipe below mainly for Christmas, but you could use these in T-Day stuffing or sweet potato casserole etc -- for those who like raisins in their dishes.

It's a simple recipe for Rum Raisins, and I sent jars to my family last year:

Rum Raisins

Loosely fill a large jar or bowl with lid, with raisins, making sure to stir them up and break the clumps into individual pieces.

Pour enough rum over them to come about halfway up the level of the raisins. [use a rum with a really nice flavor, like Cap'n Morgans spiced rum.]

Cover and let sit on counter for a couple of weeks, stirring to bring the bottom raisins up to the top, and "basting" them with the rum once a day if you think of it.

[i suppose a "fast soak" could be done by heating the raisins in the microwave first, getting them to soften before you pour the rum over them.]

Put them into jars or other containers and you're set.

I use a spoonful or two in hot cereal, or about a half-cup to a cup could be used in baking cakes / muffins etc, or in puddings.

Alie Jo, hunting in the recipe box and cook books...

AlieKeith

Scalloped Corn

Quilty, do you think the corn dish would be hurt if I left the butter out? I'm trying to go low-fat as much as I can, get my high LDL number to come down...

Well, if not, I guess it can't hurt to try it for a holiday. It sounds wonderful!

quiltys41

Alie, I'm sure you could use a low fat option to the butter. This is an old Mennonite recipe and mostly what we had on hand was butter. Let me know how it turns out and good luck getting that cholesterol down

AlieKeith

you could use a low fat option to the butter... Let me know how it turns out and good luck getting that cholesterol down

Thanks, I'll need all the luck I can get!

I will look for some kind of substitute, and let you know how it works out, yes.

Thanks again, Alie Jo

Mare

Alie Jo, the maple sugar is similar to brown sugar. It is like a granulated sugar, and is made from maple syrup. I don't know how you would make it. It is not readily available here, though you can purchase it through Amazon. I just add a tablespoon of pure maple syrup to the relish.

The rum raisins sound so good, and I'm going to buy a bottle of Captain Morgan this weekend so I can make some. I think they would be super in muffins and oatmeal, or mixed with Rum Topf over pound cake or ice cream. Thanks for the recipe.

Sort of a funny story along the same lines. Years ago my parents lived in a desert retirement town when news came out that raisins soaked in gin would help relieve pain from arthritis, and people swore that it really worked. The town only had one liquor store, and for weeks, would sell out of gin as fast as it came in. Now I wonder......did the gin soaked raisins really work, or was it just the gin???

Ferretma

Although those recipes sound great, I'm minimizing sugar and saturated fat so I'll try something different.

About the turkey, I also roast for half the time breast side down, then flip it and finish breast side up. That allows the juices of the turkey to flow into the breast during the first half of cooking and then seal and brown it during the last half. It is a lot of work to flip a turkey but it is worth it! Do this over the (clean) kitchen sink so that any mishap isn't a disaster!

Cat

Our Traditional Thanksgiving meal

This is what we have each Thanksgiving. The *must-haves* are the turkey, dressing (stuffing), cranberry salad, mashed potatoes & gravy, sweet corn (home frozen), and pumpkin pie. The salads and any other side dishes vary, according to what we have had recently and what the children want.

I don’t worry about what brand of turkey we have, because it is usually moist and flavorful stuffed with dressing and basted with Pepsi-Cola. I suspect the sugar in the Pepsi seals the juices inside. It mixes with the turkey juices and makes a delicious, slightly sweet gravy that the kids like.

TURKEY

Thaw the turkey according to safe instructions, thinking ahead so it’s thawed completely. If it’s not completely thawed, you can bake it, but I wouldn’t stuff it because the turkey will keep the stuffing at a dangerous temperature for too long. Just bake the stuffing separately, and roast the turkey longer.

On Thanksgiving, go to bed early so you can get up in plenty of time to prepare the dressing and get the turkey into the oven in time for plenty of time for it to roast. (You can take a nap after getting it into the oven!)

Save the roasting instructions when you unwrap it, plus the weight tag if you won’t remember. You can place it into a plastic baggie if you don’t want to wash your hands a lot, because when you’re checking the instructions you don’t want to get raw turkey juices into the other foods you’re preparing. Be very careful with raw meat juices and wash your hands and work surfaces well.

The turkey has two cavities… one in front (the neck area with extra skin) and one in back (goes deep inside). Check both areas; you will find a neck and a packet holding the “giblets” - liver, heart & gizzard. Remove these, then rinse the turkey well. I pull out some kind of tube (esophagus?) that is sometimes left inside the body cavity. I also like to pick out any little pinfeathers and any obvious black spots left over from the feathers (they look like blackheads) because it “grosses out” the kids.

I put the giblets in a small pan and put it into the refrigerator until I’m ready to use them. Or if you KNOW you won’t use them, just go ahead and throw them away instead of letting them spoil slowly in a Tupperware bowl. I rinse and clean them, then boil the neck, heart & gizzard in water until cooked, cool, remove any meat or chop them, and use them for noodles the next day. I fry the liver separately, slicing any thick spots, for a treat for myself after the turkey’s in.

I spray my roasting pan with a vegetable oil spray, just to help it not stick. Place the turkey inside, and prepare the stuffing. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

If you don’t have a large bowl, just leave your cleaned turkey in your sink and use the roaster to prepare the dressing. (I wipe down the sides of the roaster before the turkey goes in, so the leftover bits don’t burn & mess up the flavor.)

You’ll need to pull the legs out from the tail area so you can stuff the turkey easier. Notice how the processors jammed the tail in after placing the legs, and re-do it the same way. (Or grab a clean string and tie it, if you get too frustrated!!) Stuff both cavities loosely with dressing, because the dressing will expand slightly as it cooks. Replace the legs & tail, and place the neck’s skin down over that cavity’s dressing. I have a 6-inch needle-like thing that I string through the skin of the neck and back to hold it in place. It you’re roasting the turkey breast-side-up, it should be ok if you just fold it under and let the body “hold” it, if you have nothing else.

Place the stuffed turkey into the roasting pan, and pour about a cup of prepared chicken broth over it. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast if the turkey doesn’t have a “timer” from the processor. Cover with the lid or make a “tent” with aluminum foil and place over it. This keeps the turkey from browning too soon. Place into the preheated oven, breathe a sigh of relief, and set the timer for at least an hour.

Baste with Pepsi after 1 hour, then every half hour, uncovering turkey for the last half hour to brown. For my large, 20-pound turkeys, I’ll use about a half-liter of Pepsi. For a smaller one, one can will be enough. After the Pepsi is poured completely, baste with pan juices.

Plan to roast your turkey as long as the directions say, and maybe allow extra time “just in case”. All ovens do not bake exactly the same (it helps to get an oven thermometer so you know what the temp. is. I once had an oven that baked 25 degrees below what it was set for.) And it helps in carving the turkey if it sits for 15 minutes before carving.

OYSTER DRESSING

This is something I brought to our marriage from *my* home. My husband didn’t like it at first, because he said he never liked “wet bread”, but he’s grown to like it. I catch him eating it as a snack after the dinner!

1 c finely chopped celery (optional)

1/2 c chopped onion

1/2 c butter or margarine

8 c dry bread cubes

1 tsp. poultry seasoning

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp pepper

2 eggs

oysters (save liquid) - 1 pint fresh, drained and chopped, or a can of Campbell’s oyster stew, unmixed with milk, rubbing cooked oysters into pieces as you pour it in

1/2 -1 c chicken broth (depending on oyster liquid amount)

In a saucepan, cook celery & onion in butter until tender but not browned. Remove from heat. Place bread into large bowl, pour onion mixture over bread, then spices, eggs, and prepared oysters. Mix together well, then drizzle broth over as you mix, until well mixed and moist, not soggy. You may add more bread, dry or fresh, if desired. (Fresh bread needs less liquid, but kind of dissolves into mush.)

Stuff turkey, roast as above.

Or place in greased casserole dish, cover, and bake 45 minutes to an hour before turkey is due to be finished. Uncover last 10 minutes.

OPTIONS:

You could cook the giblets (except liver) early enough to add that meat into the dressing.

You can cook shredded carrot with the onion & celery to add for color & more veggies.

I usually double this recipe because I buy big turkeys.

You can make your own dry bread cubes easily. I have a gas stove with a pilot light, so I place the “heels” of bread, leftover buns, or any other leftover unsweetened bread products on the oven rack to dry. If I have a lot, I slice them into cubes and dry them on a cookie sheet the same way, stirring occasionally. Store them in a plastic baggie, pushing out the air before sealing.

BEST CRANBERRY SALAD

This is from my husband’s family, and my side of the family now likes it better, though for them, tradition includes sliced cranberry jell from a can, too. If you don’t have a microwave, heat juice & gelatin in a small saucepan until gelatin is dissolved, stirring constantly.

1 bag fresh cranberries

2 c sugar

1 c chopped English walnuts or pecans

1 c seedless white grapes

1 envelope unflavored gelatin (Knox brand)

1 15 -20 oz can crushed pineapple

1 sm container Cool Whip

Freeze cranberries in the sack, then rinse quickly and run through food grinder. (Alternative: rinse unfrozen berries then grind in food processor or blender, making sure you use the lid!)

Mix ground cranberries with sugar, stir together & let stand. Rinse & halve grapes (quarter if very large or if you have small children), chop nuts, pour into cranberry mixture. Drain juice from pineapple into glass measuring cup; mix pineapple into cranberries. If needed, add enough water to juice to make 1 cup liquid. Sprinkle dry gelatin into juice and stir, then heat in microwave and stir until gelatin is dissolved completely. Mix into cranberries, stir thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate. When it is almost “set” (1-2 hours), stir in Cool Whip, then refrigerate.

This is easy cranberry salad for kids to love, but watch the size of the grapes if children are small. Don’t want anyone choking!

MASHED POTATOES

10 potatoes, more or less as desired

water

salt

milk

butter

Fill your saucepan with cool water, then peel potatoes and place them into the water while you continue peeling. (They quickly turn dark in the air.) Cube into uniform pieces so they cook evenly. Add 1 tsp salt to the water before cooking, making sure all potatoes are covered with water. Add 1/2 tsp butter or margarine to the potatoes to prevent them from boiling over easily. Cook over high heat until boiling, then reduce heat until they’re simmering; cook until tender.

Drain. Add about 1/4 c milk, 1/2 tsp salt, and 3 tsp butter or margarine. With electric mixer, mix until smooth, fluffy and white, adding more milk, salt or butter as desired.

Mashed potatoes are best when freshly made, so most cooks make them at the last minute, along with the gravy. I’ve found that you can make them up to 2 hours ahead and place them in a preheated crock pot on low, and they will stay perfectly until time to eat. The crock pot keeps them moist and hot.

You can not make potatoes taste right if they’re not cooked *with* salt. They absorb it and no amount of salt added afterward makes it the same.

(OPTIONAL FIX-IT - If your mashed potatoes get too “runny”, mix in some dried instant potato flakes until they are the desired consistency. No one will even know!!)

If you occasionally have lumps in your potatoes, tell the children that they are “lucky lumps”, and whenever they get one to make a wish. This keeps THEM happy, you calmer, and your husband can enjoy his meal in peace.

MAKE-AHEAD MASHED POTATOES

These can be made the day before and heated as the turkey finishes.

Make mashed potatoes as above, and mix in 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature and cubed). Place in greased casserole dish, cover with aluminum foil or lid, and refrigerate. When ready to bake, place in oven at 325 - 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes, covered until last 5 minutes. May be topped with grated cheese before serving.

TURKEY GRAVY

2 c turkey juices from roasted turkey

1 Tbsp grease from the juices

salt to taste

pepper if desired

1 Tbsp corn starch

2 Tbsp cold water

Pour pan juices into small saucepan, season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat to boiling.

In a cup, mix corn starch and cold water together until smooth. While juices are boiling, stir cornstarch mixture into it, stirring constantly, and cook and stir until smooth and thickened.

ALTERNATIVE:

1 Tbsp turkey grease/fat

2 Tbsp flour

2 c turkey juices

salt & pepper to taste

In a saucepan, heat fat. Using a wooden spoon, mix in flour, which will gather into a soft ball with the fat. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture is fluffy and looks moist, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the broth until mixture is smooth, and cook until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper.

SWEET CORN

This is how I freeze my sweet corn for winter:

Husk and clean fresh sweet corn. Wash; cut from cob raw.

6 quarts cut corn with any liquid

3 Tbsp salt

3/4 c sugar

In a large pan, put corn, salt and sugar. Barely cover with water (corn cooks down somewhat and you’ll have plenty of liquid). Bring to a boil; let boil 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool, put into freezer containers and freeze.

PUMPKIN PIE

(makes 2)

4 eggs, beaten

1 1/2 c sugar (I use 2 c)

1 tsp salt

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp ground ginger

1/2 tsp ground cloves

3 1/2 c cooked, pureed pumpkin (1 29-oz can)

2 12-oz cans evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Mix in order given, stir well. Pour into 2 prepared deep-dish pie pans. (If you have extra, put into slightly greased custard cup or small casserole and bake until “set”.)

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Pies are done when filling is “set”, or the tip of a butter knife inserted into the center comes out clean instead of with filling on it. Cool, serve with Cool Whip.

COTTAGE POTATOES

This is from my husband’s family. I will write the original recipe, but this is one if those recipes that you make as you like it. If you don’t want cheese, or prefer chopped ham instead of the sausages, or hate green peppers, or have no red peppers, just DO it!

10-15 cooked potatoes, diced

1 c chopped onion

1/2 c chopped green pepper

4-5 Tbsp butter or margarine

1 lb. mild cheese, cubed

1 small jar pimentos, chopped, or 1/4 c fresh red sweet pepper

fresh snipped, or dried parsley to taste

2 small cans “Vienna Sausages”, cut up and also save liquid

2 cans cream of celery soup

1 c torn-up fresh bread or stuffing cubes

little milk or water

crushed corn flakes for topping

Cook onion and green pepper in butter until onion is clear. If fresh sweet red pepper is used, cook slowly in 1 Tbsp butter, separately.

In bowl, mix juices from sausages with soup, add a little milk until smooth and creamy.

Stir everything together, then pour into a 9x13” baking pan and top with crushed corn flakes.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

OPTIONS:

Use cream of chicken soup, or other cream soup.

Add ham, chicken or turkey instead of the sausages.

Add corn, broccoli, or other vegetables.

PUMPKIN BREAD

6 eggs

3 c sugar

2 1/4 c oil

3 1/2 c cooked & pureed pumpkin (1 29-oz can)

3 tsp vanilla

4 1/2 c flour

2 1/2 tsp baking soda

3 tsp baking powder

2 tsp salt

3 tsp cinnamon

3 c chopped walnuts or pecans

Grease and flour 5 loaf pans (or 5 1-pound coffee cans). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat eggs, add sugar and beat well. Add oil and pumpkin, mix well. Mix dry ingredients together, stir into pumpkin mixture. Stir in nuts.

Fill pans or cans equally. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

These freeze well.

SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE

This is a favorite from my family, again. Mom just mixes it up, so I’ll guess at the amounts.

1 large can yams or sweet potatoes

1/2 c brown sugar, packed

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

2 eggs, beaten

1 Tbsp milk

marshmallows, large or small, to cover top

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Drain potatoes, mash. Mix everything together, saving marshmallows for top. Pour into greased casserole, top with marshmallows and bake 30-45 minutes, until hot and marshmallows are slightly browned.

BROCCOLI SALAD

1 c Miracle Whip salad dressing

1/4 c sugar

1 Tbsp cider vinegar

2 bunches broccoli, chopped small

1 small red onion, diced

1/4 c sunflower seeds (the inside “meats”)

1 c raisins

8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled, or 1/2 c prepared bacon pieces

Mix Miracle Whip, sugar and vinegar together, let sit. Mix vegetables together, stir dressing once more and then mix into vegetables. Cover and refrigerate.

GERMAN CHOCOLATE PIE

MY favorite chocoholic indulgence!! A deep, rich chocolate baked pie… YUM!!!

1 ½ c. sugar

4 Tbsp. butter, melted

½ can evaporated milk (about 6 oz.)

4 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder

2 eggs

½ c. chopped pecans

½ c. coconut

2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Beat sugar & butter until well blended. Add rest of ingredients; mix well. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake until top is brown & crusty, about 30 minutes. Serve at room temp.

(OPTIONAL – double pecans and eliminate coconut.)

(I usually just make 2 pies, using the entire can of evap. milk.)

AlieKeith

COTTAGE POTATOES

...this is one if those recipes that you make as you like it. If you don’t want cheese, or prefer chopped ham instead of the sausages, or hate green peppers, or have no red peppers, just DO it!

This recipe sounds goood! I may not wait till T-Day to try it. Besides, it's good to find a recipe that takes well to fiddlin'. I like to experiment.

In fact, on occasion, my [extended] family has asked me "please don't put food in the food."

But they might actually like this, ya never know...

AlieKeith

I just add a tablespoon of pure maple syrup to the relish.

This sounds viable. I will try it. Thanks!

I'm going to buy a bottle of Captain Morgan this weekend... [rum raisins would be good] mixed with Rum Topf over pound cake or ice cream.

So how is your raisin-basting coming along? What is Rum Topf? Actually, just about anything sounds good over pound cake or ice cream.

news came out that raisins soaked in gin would help relieve pain from arthritis...

I wonder......did the gin soaked raisins really work, or was it just the gin???

You mean, any excuse for a tipple? Hmmmmm.....

Kernah

You can make your own puff pastry, there is a bit of rolling and folding involved. Filo is more for Greek dishes.

amyd

I've made this one a couple of times and plan to do it for Thanksgiving this year. Got it from allrecipes.com.

Turkey Dressing Bread

1 cup milk, room temperature

1 egg

1 tablespoon butter, softened

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/3 cup yellow cornmeal

3 cups bread flour

4 1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion flakes

1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed

3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning

1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select basic bread setting; press Start. Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed.

I made a whole turkey using this recipe last year, I just added extra water to cover the whole turkey. I marinated it in one baking bag then roasted it breast side down in my roasting pan. Makes a very flavorful, moist turkey.

Cider Marinated Turkey Breast

8 cups unsweetened apple juice

1/2 cup kosher salt

2 bay leaves

4 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme

2 sprigs fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried sage

8 whole cloves

6 cloves garlic

1/2 teaspoon allspice

1 1/2 quarts cold water

1 medium orange, quartered

5 lbs turkey breast

cooking spray

In a large stockpot, or 2 gallon freezer bag, combine the apple juice through the water.

Squeeze the juice from the orange quarters and add to the brine.

Stir to combine.

Add the turkey, making sure it is completely submerged in the brine.

Refrigerate for 8-10 hours.

Drain and discard marinade.

Rinse turkey under cold water and pat dry.

Place turkey breast on a rack in a roasting pan.

Spray the breast with cooking spray to promote browning.

Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.

Let rest 15 minutes before carving.

**If doing this for a whole turkey instead of a breast you need to adjust your baking time!!! I'm sure most of you realize that but just adding my disclaimer. . .

11/20/05

Cat

Bringing this favorite back to the top!

DomesticGoddess

Here are some of my "favorite" Thanksgiving recipes,

as well as recipes using the leftover's from your holiday meal.

Turkey Gravy

2 cups turkey drippings

1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper

1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning

1 teaspoon chicken bouillon

1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour

1/2 cup milk

Combine the turkey drippings, pepper, poultry seasoning

and bouillon granules in a 1-quart saucepan; simmer over

low heat for 5 minutes.

While the gravy is heating, combine the flour and milk

in a jar ( with a tight fitting lid ) shake until smooth.

Slowly add the milk mixture to the simmering broth;

stirring constantly with a spoon.

Continue to cook and stir, until the gravy is thick and bubbly.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups of gravy.

For a Fat-Free Gravy:

Use skim milk, and follow the method for removing fat from gravy,

( using the ice cube method ) as directed with the Savory Gravy recipe below.

Calories: 7 Fat: 0 grams Sodium: 25 grams Protein: 0.4 grams

Savory Gravy

( Gravy made from a roasted turkey breast )

1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons unbleached flour

1/2 cup milk

roast turkey drippings

1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules

1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning

1/4 teaspoon dried savory

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Combine the flour and milk in a jar,

( with a tight-fitting lid ) and shake until smooth. Set aside.

Pour the turkey drippings from the roast turkey breast into a bowl,

add a few ice cubes, and skim off the fat ( once it rises and hardens ).

Pour the fat-free drippings into a 2-cup measuring cup,

and add enough water to bring the volume up to 1 3/4 cups.

Pour the drippings mixture into a 1 1/2-quart saucepan,

and add the bouillon granules and seasonings.

Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat,

reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes.

Slowly stir the flour mixture into the gravy,

and continue to cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly.

Transfer the gravy to a warmed gravy boat or pitcher,

and serve hot with the stuffed turkey breast.

Note: Use skim milk, and there's only 7 calories,

0 grams of fat, 30 mg. sodium and 0.4 grams of protein.

Baked Brandied Cranberries

Almost 25 years ago, my neighbor gave me this recipe.

The brandy helps to cut down on the tartness of the cranberries,

while the sugar gives it just enough sweetness.

It's great to serve during the holidays.

2-( 12 ounce ) bags cranberries

2 cups granulated sugar

1/4 cup brandy

1/3 cup granulated sugar

Place the cranberries in a glass 13x9x2-inch baking dish.

Cover the cranberries with the 2 cups of sugar; do not stir.

Cover tightly with aluminum foil.

Bake 50-55 minutes in a 350 degree oven; until the cranberries burst.

Remove from oven. Remove foil and stir. Let stand 10 minutes.

Drizzle with the brandy. Stir in the 1/3 cup of sugar.

Cool to room temperature; then refrigerate.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Better Than Traditional Green Bean Bake

2-( 16 ounce ) bags frozen green beans

1-( 10.75 ounce ) can cream of mushroom soup

1-(10.75 ounce ) can cheddar cheese soup

1/4 cup milk

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 cups French's French Fried Onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a 2 1/2 to 3 quart casserole baking dish,

add and stir together, both cans of soup, milk and black pepper.

Bake ( uncovered ) for 45-60 minutes.

Top with french fried onions, and bake ( uncovered )

5 minutes more, until golden brown.

Pineapple Glazed Carrots

1-(16 ounce) can sliced carrots, drained but reserving liquid (2 cups)

1-(8 1/2 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained but reserving syrup

2 teaspoons cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon butter

In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan, gradually add the cornstarch and salt,

with the reserved liquid and reserved syrup.

Bring to boiling; stirring constantly.

Cook about 3 minutes, or until the liquid is thick and clear.

Stir in the tablespoon of butter.

Add the carrots and pineapple; stirring gently.

Heat through.

Serves 4.

I haven't prepared this squash casserole yet, but it sounds good!!

Butternut Squash Casserole

3 cups mashed, cooked, butternut squash

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup margarine, melted

1-(8 ounce) can crushed pineapple ( with juice )

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

Grease one ( 2-quart ) casserole baking dish, and set aside.

Combine the butternut squash, white sugar, brown sugar,

margarine, pineapple, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg.

Mix well, and pour into casserole baking dish.

Sprinkle with chopped nuts, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.

Baked Acorn Squash

Haven't made this yet, but it does remind me of the baked

squash my mother use to make; except she added a breakfast

sausage link to each, before baking in the oven.

1 Acorn Squash, halved

2 tablespoons of brown sugar, divided

2 pats of butter, divided

Salt & Pepper

2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey, divided

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Scoop the seeds out of each half with a spoon.

Add 1 pat of butter, 1 tsp. maple syrup or honey,

1 Tbsp. of brown sugar, salt and pepper to the hollow scoop of each half.

Place upright on a greased cookie sheet, and roast for 20 to 30 minutes,

or until tender when flesh is poked with a fork.

The following salads are salads which can be served

for Thanksgiving & Christmas.

Ambrosia Waldorf Salad

2 c. fresh or frozen cranberries, halved

1/2 c. sugar

3 c. miniature marshmallows

2 c. diced unpeeled apples

1 c. seedless green grapes

1 - ( 20 oz. ) can pineapple tidbits, drained

1 c. heavy cream, whipped or 2 cups ( or more ) Cool Whip

In a bowl, combine the cranberries and sugar.

In a 3-quart ( 12 cup ) bowl, add the marshmallows, apples, grapes and pineapple.

Add the cranberries; mix well. Fold in the Cool Whip.

Cover and chill. Serves 12-14.

Cranberry Mousse

1 - ( 20 oz. ) can crushed pineapple in juice

1 - ( 6 oz. ) pkg. strawberry flavored gelatin

1 cup water

1 - ( 16 oz. ) can whole berry cranberry sauce

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 cups dairy sour cream

Drain pineapple well; reserving all juice.

Add juice to gelatin in a 2-quart saucepan.

Stir in water, heat to boiling; stirring to dissolve gelatin.

Remove from heat.

Blend in cranberry sauce.

Add lemon juice, lemon peel and nutmeg.

Chill until mixture thickens slightly.

Blend sour cream into the gelatin mixture.

Fold in pineapple.

Pour into a 2 quart gelatin mold.

Chill in refrigerator until firm.

Unmold onto serving plate.

Serves 8.

Creamy Apricot Mousse

1 - ( 17 oz. ) can apricot halves

2 - ( 3 oz. ) pkgs. apricot flavored gelatin

1 cup plain yogurt

2 cups Reddi-Whip or Cool Whip, plus extra for garnishing

Drain apricots, reserving syrup.

Add water to syrup, ( if necessary ) to measure 1 cup; set aside.

Reserve 6 apricot halves for garnish,

puree remainder in blender or food processor; set aside.

Dissolve gelatin in 1 1/2 cups of boiling water.

Add apricot syrup.

Chill until consistency of thick egg white, 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Stir in pureed apricots and yogurt until well blended.

Gently fold in Reddi-Whip or Cool Whip.

Pour into a lightly oiled 6 cup gelatin mold.

Chill in the refrigerator until firm.

Unmold onto a plate or platter.

Garnish with extra Reddi-Whip or Cool Whip, and reserved apricot halves.

Yield: 10 servings.

Four Fruit Compote

1 - ( 20 oz. ) can pineapple chunks

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/3 cup orange juice

1 tablespoon lemon juice

2 - ( 11 oz. ) cans mandarin oranges, drained

1 Granny Smith Apple, unpeeled and chopped

1 Golden Delicious Apple, unpeeled and chopped

1 Red Deliscious Apple, unpeeled and chopped

2 to 3 bananas, sliced

Drain pineapple, reserving 3/4 cup juice.

In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.

Add pineapple juice, orange juice and lemon juice.

Cook and stir over medium heat, until thickened and bubbly;

cook and stir one minute longer.

Remove from heat; set aside.

In a bowl, combine pineapple chunks, oranges, apples

and bananas.

Pour warm sauce over the fruit; stir gently to coat.

Cover and refrigerate. Yield: 10 servings

Jell-O In A Can

1 - ( 20 oz. ) can sliced pineapple

1 - ( 3 oz. ) pkg. Jell-O Gelatin, a gelatin of your choice

1 cup boiling water

Pour off pineapple juice from can, but leave pineapple in the can.

Dissolve Jell-O in boiling water.

Cool slightly.

Pour into can over the pineapple.

Chill until set.

To serve, run knife around inside of can and tip out.

Slice between the pineapple rings.

Serves 4-5.

Quick Fruit Salad

1 - ( 21 oz. ) can peach pie filling

3 firm bananas, sliced

2 cups strawberries, halved

1 cup seedless green grapes

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.

Refrigerate until serving.

Serves 6-8.

Jurrassic Coleslaw

1 cup ( 8 oz. ) apple cider vinegar

1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons salad oil

1 tablespoon Dijon-Style Mustard

4 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup sugar

2 tablespoons chopped onion

Whisk ingredients together.

Pour into a large bowl, and add the remaining ingredients.

1 head cabbage, shredded

About 2 cups dried fruit ( apples, peaches & apricots )

About 1 cup dried cranberries

Cover, and chill in the refrigerator before serving.

Note: This is a bit "spicy", but "good"!!!

Sweet-Sour Coleslaw

6 cups shredded cabbage

2 large carrots, peeled and shredded

2 to 4 tablespoons finely chopped onion

8 to 10 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, combine the shredded cabbage, carrots,

onion and bacon.

In a jar, ( with a tight fitting lid ) mix vinegar, oil,

sugar and salt; shake well.

Pour ( liquid ) dressing over cabbage mixture, and toss.

Cover, and chill in the refrigerator before serving.

Serves 6.

Delicious One Crust Apple Pie

1 - 9-inch prepared pie crust, unbaked

1 c. apple juice

1 c. orange juice

3/4 c. sugar

7 to 8 medium Golden Delicious Apples, cut into 1/2-inch wedges

1/4 c. cornstarch

1 Tbsp. butter

1/8 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Cool Whip, for garnishing

Heat oven to 425 degrees.

Bake pie crust 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.

Cool completely.

In a large saucepan, combine 3/4 c. each apple juice,

orange juice and sugar.

Bring to a boil. Add apples wedges.

Cover; bring to a boil.

Reduce heat; simmer covered until tender,

but not soft ( 3 to 5 minutes ).

Using a slotted spoon, remove apples from juice mixture; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine remaining juices and cornstarch; blend well.

Stir into hot juice mixture.

Cook over medium heat, until mixture thickens and boils; stirring constantly.

Cook 1 minute; remove from heat.

Add butter, salt and vanilla;mix well.

Cool 10 minutes; add reserved apples.

Pour into cooled, baked crust. Refrigerate 3 hrs.

Garnish with Cool Whip. Serves 8.

Creamed Turkey & Rice Soup

This is my "favorite" home-cooked soup!!

I prepare this soup every year after Thanksgiving is over.

1 turkey carcass ( from a 14-lb. cooked turkey )

14 cups water

1 large onion, chopped fine

3 stalks celery, sliced thin

4 large carrots, chopped or sliced thin

1/3 cup uncooked long grain white rice ( If you like rice, add 1/2 cup )

1 cup butter or margarine

1 1/2 cups flour

1 pint half-and-half cream

3 cups diced cooked turkey ( I always add 5 cups )

1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning

6 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules

salt & pepper to taste

In a large soup kettle or stockpot,

add turkey carcass and the 14 cups of water.

Bring water to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 1 hr. and 30 minutes.

Remove bones; reserve meat for soup.

Strain stock; set aside.

In a large saucepan, combine onions, celery, carrots,

rice and 1 quart (4 cups) of the stock.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes; set aside.

In a large soup kettle, melt butter.

Blend in flour; heat until bubbly.

Add the half-and-half, and remaining 2 quarts (8 cups) of stock,

to the butter/flour mixture; cook and stir until bubbly.

Stir in the reserved vegetable mixture, turkey meat and seasonings.

Heat slowly to serving temperature.

Serves 12-14. ( This soup freezes well ).

Turkey Taco Soup with Avocado Cream

1-(11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn

1-(16 ounce) can chili beans, undrained

2-(14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth

1-(16 ounce) jar chunky salsa

2 1/2 cups cooked, chopped turkey meat

salt and pepper to taste

1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro

1/2 cup sour cream

2 tablespoons guacamole

In a large pot over medium heat, combine corn, chili beans, broth and salsa.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and stir in cooked turkey.

Season with salt and pepper.

Cover, and cook 5 to 10 minutes more, until heated through.

Stir in cilantro.

In a bowl, stir together sour cream and guacamole, until smooth.

Ladle soup into bowls and top with guacamole mixture.

"Leftover Turkey" Noodle Soup

Bones and trimmings from 1 turkey ( or 2 chickens )

6 cups water

3 chicken bouillon cubes or 3 teaspoons bouillon granules

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning or sage

1 bay leaf

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

1/2 cup barley or rice, or 1 cup uncooked egg noodles

3 medium carrots, sliced

2 stalks celery, sliced

2 medium onions, sliced or chopped

2 tablespoons chopped parsley

In a large saucepan, combine first 6 ingredients.

Simmer ( covered ) 1 1/2 hours.

Remove bones; cut off meat and return meat to broth.

Add remaining ingredients, except parsley.

Simmer ( covered ) 30 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.

Garnish with the parsley.

Serves 6 to 8.

Tip: Other vegetables may be added or substituted, such as:

corn, zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes, peas or mushrooms.

Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie

1 cup apple butter

1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

3 eggs, slightly beaten

3/4 cup evaporated milk

1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

Sweetened whipped cream, for garnish

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Combine apple butter, pumpkin, sugar, salt and spices in a bowl.

Stir in eggs.

Gradually add evaporated milk and mix well.

Pour into unbaked pie shell.

Bake for about 40 minutes or until set.

Serves 6.

Cook's Notes:

-If the crust begins to burn, place tin foil around

the crust, and lower the temperature of the oven.

-A tasty topping for this pie is praline pecans.

Pumpkin Pie Parfaits

2 cups pumpkin pie filling (scooped from inside 1 cooked pumpkin pie)

2 cups vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, softened

8 tablespoons whipped cream or Cool Whip whipped topping

4 tablespoons chopped candied walnuts or pecans

Spoon 1/4 cup of pumpkin pie filling, into 4 tall glasses.

Top with 1/4 cup of ice cream or frozen yogurt.

Repeat layers of pumpkin and ice cream.

Top with whipped cream and candied nuts.

Makes 4 servings.

Pumpkin Pie Cake

1-( 15 ounce ) solid-pack pure pumpkin

3 eggs, lightly beaten

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

1-( 12 ounce ) can evaporated milk

1-( 18.5 ounce ) pkg. yellow cake mix

1/2 cup ( 1 stick ) butter, melted

1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, eggs, sugars,

pumpkin pie spice, and evaporated milk; mix well.

Pour into an ungreased 9" x 13" baking pan.

Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over the batter in the pan;

drizzle melted butter evenly over the top,

then sprinkle with chopped pecans.

Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Cool completely before cutting into squares.

"This is so good"! "I just loved this dessert"!

Here are somemore of my "favorite" Thanksgiving recipes,

as well as recipes to prepare with your leftover turkey.

Candied Yams

1 - ( 1 lb. 1 oz. ) can sweet potatoes, drained

1/2 cup brown sugar, packed

3 tablesppons butter

3 tablespoons whipping cream

1/2 teaspoon salt

In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and salt;

cook over medium heat; stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly.

Add the drained sweet potatoes, stir gently until glazed and heated through.

About 4 servings.

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put into a greased 1 1/2 - quart size casserole baking dish.

Topping:

3/4 cup brown sugar, packed

6 tablespoons butter, softened

6 tablespoons flour

1 cup chopped pecans

Add this ontop of the sweet potato mixture.

Cover and bake 35-40 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Note: The last time I prepared this,

I used only 1 extra large size egg ( instead of 2 ).

I decreased the granulated sugar to a 3/4 cup,

and decreased the milk to 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons.

I also decreased the vanilla extract to 3/4 teaspoon.

As for the topping, I decreased the brown sugar to a 3/4 cup.

I only use 6 tablespoons each of butter and flour,

and decreased the amount of pecans to a 3/4 cup.

Jimmy Dean's Stuffing

1 lb. Jimmy Dean's Pork Sausage

1 cup chopped scallions

1/2 cup thinly sliced celery

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 - ( 14 1/2 oz. ) cans chicken broth

3 eggs, beaten

1 - ( 16 oz. ) bag, plus 2 more slices of bread,

or 1/2 of a loaf ( 8 oz. ) white bread, and 1/2 of a loaf

( 8 oz. ) wheat bread

1 tablespoon fresh parsley or 1 1/2 teaspoon dried, parsley

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook pork sausage and drain thoroughly.

Combine sausage with the next 8 ingredients.

Put in a buttered roasting pan.

Bake uncovered 30 minutes; then bake covered 30 minutes.

Remove and top with the parsley and cheese;

bake uncovered 10-15 minutes more.

Note: My sister once made this stuffing for Thanksgiving,

and I just "loved" it, so I had to get this recipe from her.

Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie

1 - ( 8 oz. ) pkg. cream cheese, softened

1 cup canned pumpkin

1/2 cup sugar

1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

1 - ( 8 oz. ) cont. Cool Whip, thawed

1 - 9-inch ( 6 oz. ) already-made graham cracker pie crust

In a large mixing bowl, mix cream cheese, canned pumpkin,

sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.

With an electric mixer, ( on medium speed ) mix until smooth.

Gently fold in the thawed Cool Whip.

Spoon into graham cracker pie crust.

Refrigerate 3 hours, or until set.

Store leftover cheesecake in the refrigerator.

Makes 8 servings.

Pumpkin Torte

( Read all the directions first )

Crust:

1 3/4 c. graham cracker crumbs ( 1 pkg. )

1/2 c. sugar

Mix & add 1/2 cup melted butter.

Pack lightly in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

Cheese Mixture:

Beat together 2 eggs, 3/4 c. sugar, and an ( 8 oz. ) pkg.

cream cheese.

Pour over crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool.

Pumpkin Mixture:

1 - ( 16 oz. ) can pumpkin, 3 egg yolks, 1/2 c. sugar,

1/2 c. milk, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. cinnamon.

Cook until thick ( 5-10 minutes ). Take off heat.

Dissolve - 1 envelope unflavored gelatin into 1/4 c. cold water.

Add to hot, cooked pumpkin mixture.

Beat 3 egg whites, add 1/4 c. sugar.

Fold into pumpkin mixture, and pour ontop of already prepared crust.

Chill until firm.

Top with whipped cream.

This dessert may be frozen.

Chicken, Ham or Turkey A La King

1/4 cup chopped onion

2 tablespoons chopped, green bell peppers

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

1 - ( 10.75 oz. ) can cream of chicken or mushroom soup

1/3 to 1/2 cup milk

1 1/2 cups cubed, cooked chicken, ham or turkey

2 tablespoons diced, pimiento

Dash black pepper

Toast

Cook onion and green peppers in butter, until tender.

Blend in soup and milk.

Add chicken, pimiento, and pepper.

Heat slowly; stir often. Serve over toast.

Yield: About 2 1/2 cups.

Chicken or Turkey Hot Dish

4 c. diced, cooked chicken or turkey

4 c. cooked, wide noodles ( I only used about 2 cups )

1 - ( 16 oz. ) pkg. frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrot

mix, cooked & drained.

1 - ( 10.75 oz. ) can cheddar cheese soup

1 - ( 10.75 oz. ) can cream of chicken, celery or mushroom soup

1 soup can of milk

6 to 8 slices of Kraft cheese slices, cut in half diagonally

In a saucepan, heat the soups and milk together.

In a ( greased ) 13x9x2-inch baking pan, add the chicken or turkey,

the cooked noodles, and cooked vegeatables; stir to coat evenly.

Top with the cheese slices.

Cover and bake 45 minutes, in a 350 degree oven.

Serves 6-8.

Turkey Curry

Cook 1/4 cup chopped onion, in 1 tablespoon butter or margarine.

Add 1 - ( 10.75 oz. ) can cream of mushroom soup,

and 1/4 cup milk; heat and stir till smooth.

Stir in 1 cup sour cream, and 1/2 teaspoon curry powder.

Add 1 1/2 cups cubed, cooked turkey; heat through, but do not boil.

Garnish with snipped parsley.

Serve over hot, cooked rice.

Serves 4.

Turkey Stroganoff

1/4 cup diced, green bell peppers

1/4 cup chopped, onion

2 tablespoons butter ot margarine

1 - ( 10.75 oz. ) can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup sour cream

1 1/2 cups cubed, turkey

1/2 teaspoon paprika

2 cups cooked, wide noodles

Add some canned mushrooms, optional

In a saucepan, cook the green peppers and onions in butter,

until tender.

In a 1 1/2 -quart casserole baking dish, blend soup and sour cream.

Stir in remaining ingredients.

Cover and bake for 35 minutes minutes, in a 350 degree oven,

or until hot.

Remove from oven and stir.

Sprinkle on additional paprika before serving.

Buttercup

OH Man, Domestic!

I will definately be trying some of these out!!!

You are awesome!

DomesticGoddess

Buttercup, I've been called many things,

but never been called awesome.

It's kinda nice to know someone else thinks I am,

and that I was missed.

Enjoy the recipes!! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Safetylady

Middle son prepared a gourmet Thanksgiving dinner

Deviled eggs and cheese plate with fruit

Boned stuffed turkey breast with spinach, cream cheese and whole cranberries

Mashed potatoes with carmalized onions

roasted Sweet potaotes

green beans with lemon zest and thyme

Romain salad with feta cheese and walnuts with cranberry vinegarette

Rolls

Pumpkin pie and pecan pumbkin pie.

It was all great

westbrook

-----------------------------

Quote:

a spoonful or two in hot cereal, or about a half-cup to a cup could be used in baking cakes / muffins etc, or in puddings.

-----------------------------

rum raisins a spoonfull or two on cereal in the morning? oh baby! starts your day off right! a little spoonfull on a ham and cheese sandwich another spoonfull all by itself in the afternoon.. hiccup! oh excuse me.

another spoonfull at dinner.. over mashed potatos and one in the salad...

you are too cute!

CeeGee

I really don't like raisins, but RUM RAISINS? Hmmmmmm.... I just might have to change my mind!

westbrook

now that I will be buying rum..for my raisins and medicinal purposes.... like oh I need my rum... I have a teenager!

I wonder if I could pour it

Was there a recipe for stove top like dressing? Also I need a little help.. I have never baked a stuffed turkey before.. This is the recipe I am going to use for my dressing (see attached) anyone have any pointers? I am not using the oysters...

You're quite welcome.

And yes, you can eliminate the oysters and add more broth.

If you really like stove-top stuffing, go ahead and use it. If the family likes it best...

That said, with the recipe you have:

I would saute the onions as my recipe does. It makes them softer and less *out there*. Saute them in the butter (dot with a bit more in the pan if needed).

Some people like the taste of celery in their dressing. If you do, either add some chopped celery to the butter & onions and saute, or add some celery powder/salt to the seasonings (add less salt if using celery salt)

If you like only sage, use the recipe as written, but I think including the poultry seasoning will give you a taste closer to Stove Top. You might want to cut back a bit on the total (like, 1 Tbsp poultry seasoning and 1 tsp sage).

Turkey drippings or chicken broth work equally well. If you baste with wine or Pepsi, you'll want the broth instead of drippings.

If you use a soft bread, like cheap white bread, lay slices out to dry for a day before you use it. I lay mine out on the gas oven's racks, and the pilot light is enough to dry it overnight. If you use the Italian bread, use an older loaf, or slice it and let it dry out some, too. The dryer bread has more "body" than the softer breads, which end up more "molded all together".

Dressing *in* the turkey cooks up moist and helps to flavor the turkey a bit. But if you're uncomfortable doing it, do your turkey as *you* feel best. We have enough stress on those cooking holidays.

Does this help?

That recipe was the closest I could find to my mothers.. I have made it pretty much that way for years.. Just never inside the turkey.. And I always use onions, celery, eggs, dried bread, poulty seasoning, salt and pepper and the broth.. Your recipe looked similar.. But like I said I want to try it in the bird as mom never did for fear of poisoning during the reheating process.. Maybe it was the egg I don't know? Anyone else know?

Ahhh, of course... leaving the stuffing *inside* the turkey could be a problem for reheating, although with today's microwave heating it's not so much.

Actually, it's the *cooling-down* that is the bigger threat... all that hot turkey with stuffing inside keeps the temperature, even *inside* the refrigerator, at too high a temperature for too long. You want everything to cool down quickly so it's safe.

That's why I never leave the dressing inside the turkey. I always scoop it out to serve in a bowl. Then any leftovers can be easily accessed and reheated.

Little bits inside won't matter, and can be eaten. They'll cool as quickly as the turkey does, with all that empty space inside it now.

Don't be afraid to try it. Together it's a wonderfully rich flavor.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

My favorite hasn't been posted. It's easy and healthy. They're always a huge hit (especially the sweet potatoes/yams) and are devoured with no leftovers.

Roasted Autumn Veggies

Peel and cut into 1 inch cubes an assortment of any or all of the following veggies: (you can use only sweet potatoes and it's just as good)

yams or sweet potatoes

parsnips

carrots

turnips or swedes or rutabegas

pearl onions (peeled, but whole)

jerusalem artichokes (interesting flavor, like an earthy potato)

butternut squash or pumpkin

Toss the cubed veggies with olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary and a few peeled garlic cloves (these may be sliced into 2 or 3 pieces if desired). Spread in a large roasting pan or jelly roll pan.

Roasting: There are many options -- lower temp for longer time or higher temp for shorter time. You can cover with foil for the first 20-30 minutes. the time it takes to roast depends on many factors, including how full your pan is. I like to roast the veggies the day before, and then put them in an ovenproof serving dish to heat up in the oven once I take the turkey out. That helps eliminate guesswork.

A single layer of veggies not too crowded should take about 45 minutes to roast at 400 degrees (20 minutes covered, 25 not covered).

I like to add whole brussel sprouts to the mix after I remove the tinfoil.

Remember to stir every 10 minutes or so after you remove the foil.

Lots of great recipes here. Its not Thanksgiving for me til I've had turkey, dressing, and Sweet potato casserole!!! Oh its the best the sweet potato casserole makes the meal... (and its not a dessert its a veggie laugh)

Copied from UKGuy:

Pumpkin Pie Cake

1-( 15 ounce ) solid-pack pure pumpkin

3 eggs, lightly beaten

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

1-( 12 ounce ) can evaporated milk

1-( 18.5 ounce ) pkg. yellow cake mix

1/2 cup ( 1 stick ) butter, melted

1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, eggs, sugars,

pumpkin pie spice, and evaporated milk; mix well.

Pour into an ungreased 9" x 13" baking pan.

Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over the batter in the pan;

drizzle melted butter evenly over the top,

then sprinkle with chopped pecans.

Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Cool completely before cutting into squares.

"This is so good"! "I just loved this dessert"!

Here are somemore of my "favorite" Thanksgiving recipes,

as well as recipes to prepare with your leftover turkey.

Oh, how cute would this be baked in a bundt pan, frosted orange, and then make a cute little frosted green "stem" out of something to put in the middle to make it into a pumpkin?!? Hmmm. I could use some of the batter to make a cupcake, turn it upside down over the hole in the center, and frost it green. DD and I are definitely going to try that! (Why yes, I do have some cake mixes in the cupboard that are about to expire . . . And no pecans, but TONS of locally grown almonds . . .) How fun!

Broccoli Casserole (6-8 servings)

2 boxes chopped frozen broccoli

Small box Velveeta (about 8 oz.

1/2 stick margarine or butter

Cook broccoli and drain in colander. Return to

pan and add cheese and margarine(or butter),

blending all together. Put mixture in casserole.

Mix together and top casserole with:

1/2 stick margarine(or butter),melted

1/2 tube ritz crackers,crushed

Bake at 325 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

Ok, I'll pitch in. I'll confess, I got this off the wrapper of a can of Libby's pumpkin.

It is TO DIE FOR. Seriously.

Best of all, it makes up REALLY FAST and is not only serious eye candy, but also a crowd pleaser. You can do this while doing other things in the kitchen and make it look like no effort at all. Kids really love to help.

Pumpkin Cake Roll

CAKE

3/4 C flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp cloves

1/4 tsp salt

3 large eggs

1 C white sugar

2/3 C pumpkin

1 C chopped walnuts (optional)

Loose powdered sugar for rolling cake

Large cotton tea towel

FILLING/ Icing

1 pkg 8 oz cream cheese (soft and NOT low fat)

1 C sifted powdered sugar

6 tbsp butter or margarine

1 tsp vanilla

Loose powdered sugar for dusting on top

CAKE:

Preheat oven to 375. Grease (YES, use CRISCO!) 10x15 jelly roll pan with rolled edge. Line bottom with wax paper. Sprinkle a large cotton tea towel with powdered sugar.

Combine flour, dry ingredients and spices (I often add more spices than the recipe says for a deeper flavor). Beat eggs and butter until thick. Add pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture by hand. Sprinkle with nuts. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 13-15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen cake and turn out onto towel, top down. Carefully peel of wax paper. Starting from narrow end, carefully roll up cake and cool on wire rack at least an hour.

FILLING: Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Carefully unroll cooled cake and remove towel. Spread mixture over cake, carefully re-roll. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour.

When ready to serve, unwrap, place seam side down. Frost with left-over filling or dust with powdered sugar.

Can double this recipe. 2 1/2 C of batter will be needed for each pan. 1 3/4 filling for each roll. Bake time is the same.

Do not add raisins or cranberries. These are too big and will crack the cake as it rolls.

Enjoy. This wonderful cake is one of the things that caused my MIL to hate me during the holidays. With 2 hours notice I produced this cake, a veggie tray, and some rolls I had from the freezer. Totally wow-ed everyone. curtsey

Don't have a recipe, but I will be BEGGING for it tonight when I get to writing my emails. I had it today at the Homeschooler Thankgiving festivities. It was a pudding, that tasted like.... pumpkin pie and was SO GOOD!!

Okay, my favorite.

You need a 9x9 square for 1 recipe of this I made double with no problem and it went fast today.

Corn Pudding:

1 can of cream of corn

1 can of corn

1 box jiffy corn bread mix

1 egg

8 oz sour cream

1 stick of butter (margarine works too)

Melt the butter.

combine all the ingrediants.

Put into the pan

Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes (check from the 30 minute mark) The top will be a little bumpy but golden brown.

this has become my favorite recipe in the world and I only allow myself to have it on Thankgiving (or for Thankgiving festivities, but cause ... well really...butter, sour cream, creamed corn? However I wave a magic wand over your first batch and all calories become non existant! (Until you actually bite INTO it. LOL)

Thank you, Cat, for pulling all those recipes together. I'm glad someone pulled this thread back up. Printing this off for myself, and I'm going to try some new things this year.

I cannot imagine what Tracie's vegetable dish will taste like, since I do not eat anything in it but pearl onions, carrots, and pumpkin. But it looks so interesting I have to give it a try.