MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lurker from Wisconsin

farmgirlwannabe

Hello everyone!

If someone would have told me 2 years ago that I would be posting here, I would have laughed at them. Really hard.

What seems like not that long ago, I was an ignorant city dweller. The important things in life were the 2 children I already had at that point, and giving them (and myself) what I thought was the best of everything, no matter the cost. I thought nothing of spending hundreds of dollars on clothes, shoes, electronics – making sure we always had "the best" of it all. I also worked 60 to 70 hours a week to provide this. We ate almost all of our meals out. There was very little food in the house because we were never there to eat it. I didn't care who was president, never participated in elections, didn't go to church, had very little faith in anything.

Then I fell in love. Trust me – I did everything to fight it to the bitter end. Complete denial. He was everything I NEVER wanted. Your standard "city girl meets country boy" love story. More like "completely oblivious materialistic city girl meets wonderful farm boy/prepper."

So here I am now, addicted to lurking somewhere in Mrs. S everyday, living in a small house on an acre outside of the city, at home with our now 3 children (12, 4, and 1 in 2 days), wearing jeans and flannel and cooking almost every meal. I am no longer a family forced holiday Christian. God is a part of our lives all day – everyday. Thanks to all of you here, our first 2 rounds of canning were a success, we are getting close to having preps for approximately 4 months, I am not afraid of protecting myself and my family, our garden plans are set, and you can bet that I voted in every election and could debate with the best of them now when it comes to politics.

You have all taught me so much. I learn something every time I am on the site. Thank you. We all benefit so much from all of you. There are probably many other lurkers out there who are afraid to step up and say something. So from all of us…thank you.

Oh yeah – If anyone has a clue how to get around the town rules that say you can't have farm animals, please let me know. I want chickens! ;)

Oh, farmgirlwannabe... I love you already!!!! budhug.gif I haven't giggled like that since... since...

well, since Trip posted in the Cave in the "Foot in mouth" thread... laugh3.gif

It sounds like that must be *some* guy!!! goldstar.gif

How wonderful that you have come to this point in your life *before* the economic problems of today... so that you're *way ahead of it all*!

About the chickens... try talking to the city council or finding like-minded people who might help you change the city's minds. There are more and more cities who are allowing hens but not roosters. I know I read something recently... I'll try to find a source.

groupsmile.gif

LOL Welcome aboard! Glad to have you out of lurkerdom and posting with your friends. :welcome4:

:welcome4:

and Thanks so much for that very encouraging introduction and post!

It is so cool when someone registers and makes a post saying "I already know y'all, now you can meet me!" (my translation). ;)

That is a great translation! I do feel like I know you guys already! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Glad you joined us!

About the chickens... Some towns list poultry seperate from livestock and therefore they are not banned.

I'm not zoned for livestock. I was too afraid to find out if that included poultry. For some reason I fear if I call the zoning office to inquire, that will raise red flags that they need to send someone out to the neighborhood to fine somebody. I'm operating under the don't ask, don't tell motto. If someone reports me, I'll claim ignorance and say I thought poultry and livestock were two seperate things. I should print out some examples of town regulations that list them separately.

Well anyway, welcome!

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

welcomewelovenewmembers.jpg Glad you felt ready to post. :)

Oldpine and I lived in Wisconsin for a couple years then ended up in California for a couple and now have been back to MN for the past 39 or almost 39 years now. We went back a few years ago to the town we had lived in, in Wis. and it had/has really changes. :)

At one time I thought I would rather live in town/city, but, no way now, I love it in the country, but, who knows one day we may need to be in town.

SNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpgHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

Oh yeah – If anyone has a clue how to get around the town rules that say you can't have farm animals, please let me know. I want chickens! ;)

I failed miserably trying to do this. I got hit with a $5000 fine from Code Enforcement officer lolol.

He suggested I move...I told him that just might be a great idea.

So, here I am up in the mountains, living rural, and like you, doing things completely different than I've ever known.

Most of all, I'm absolutely loving it too.

:welcome: I'm so glad you decided to post. I'm looking forward to more of your observations on country life from an ex city girl.

Chickens in the town limits. Have you thought about miniatures in the garage? You can tell anyone who asks that they are pets, not chickens. Course, you might not want to keep a rooster. They are a definite give away. Oh,,, maybe you will want to find out what the fine is FIRST! Five thousand dollars buys a whole lot of eggs..... :whistling:

:bighug2:

Sometimes close neighbors can be bought off with EGGS. Truthfully though, look into the way the ordinance is written. Is there a way around it? Licence, permits, etc? If a small town sometimes they will allow you a certain amount of say hens if you get a waiver from neighbors. I suspect that it might depend on how close the neighbors are. You might also look into whether the town limits have moved out since the ordinance was written. It might read in such a way as to get around it.

Good luck...If not, there's always rabbits???

:bighug2:

Mother... :tapfoot:

Despite what the Cadbury bunny says...

You CAN'T get eggs from rabbits!!!!!

:shrug: I'm just sayin'...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived