MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Necie's canning BATS!??

bidy

The things you learn from the shout box -

[Necie] hah! i can't go to bed. found a bat in a quart jar in the cellar. had to take him out and let him loose. YUCK. will be NO sleeping for awhile

[PoGo] how do bats get in your cellar?

[Necie] old farmhouse-1880's...who knows ??? have had dbf spray foaming every little hole they can get in...can't wait to do new siding

[PoGo] I didn't realize that they were such a pest.

[Necie] oooh, yeah...creepy little buggers-getting better at dealing with em though

:24:

Sorry Necie, eating bats is NOT recommended... noeatbat.jpg

http://www.innovations-report.de/html/beri...icht-18707.html

-

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=281

-

However THESE bats look interesting...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_28953,00.html

heh, heh...C7.gif

Bat Bite

Bat Bite, Cocktail

Bat Bite Recipe

Ingredients

1 oz. Bacardi Black Rum®

4 oz. Cranberry juice

pour over ice or strained over ice.

and now for the serious bat recipes

http://www.bertc.com/fruitbat.htm

Fruit Bat Soup

3 Fruit bats, well washed but either skinned nor eviscerated,

Water

1 tb Finely sliced fresh ginger,

1 lg Onion, quartered,

I knew if we were patient, this would become available. For all of you who have been waiting patiently to make your fruit bats into fruit bat soup, here's a recipe.

The following is a genuine recipe from Micronesia. Fruit bats, or flying foxes, are furry, fruit and nectar eating bats about the size of small rabbits. The make very affectionate pets.

Sea salt to taste, Chopped scallions, Soy sauce and/or coconut cream.

1. Place the bats in a large kettle and add water to cover, the ginger, onion, and salt. Bring to the boil and cook for 40 minutes. Strain broth into a second kettle.

2. Take the bats, skin them and discard the skin. Remove meat from the bones and return meat, and any of the viscera you fancy, to the broth. Heat.

3. Serve liberally sprinkled with scallions and further seasoned with soy sauce and/or coconut cream.

Yield: 4 servings.

(From "The New York Times Natural Foods Cookbook" by Jean Hewitt © 1971,

Quadrangle Books, Inc. NY.

NOTE: A final word about the Jean Hewitt cookbook. It is now out of print

so I don't feel too bad about swiping a recipe from it. Despite the above it is an excellent cookbook made up from recipes sent in by readers to the New York Times, and tested by Ms Hewitt herself. It comes from the days when "Natural Foods" did not just mean salt free veggie fare, (although there are plenty of first rate, mostly simple vegetarian recipes included).

If you can get hold of a copy from a public library, say, I recommend it.

Bill Venables, Dept. of Statistics, Univ. of Adelaide, South Australia.

ok, ok.. what do bats taste like?

"Bats taste like rattlesnake. And ratlesnake taste like chicken."

I am just quoting.. I wouldn't eat them when there are other animals non-rabid that could be eaten.

You guys are BATTIER than me!! Flying.gif

Ok, ok...had been in chat Mon. night and signed off cuz I had 3 bags of chick bedding to haul down to the cellar for when my chicks get here next week. Hauled one down and decided I needed to move some jars and make some room down there. So I started putting some empty jars from 2 smaller boxes into one larger box-had the bottom full and started putting more on the top of them when I noticed something in one of the jars on the bottom that I'd already moved-so I picked it up and at first thought it was a dead mouse-ick...then I realized it was a bat-YUCK! So I jiggled the jar (still thinking it was dead) to see if it was stuck to the bottom--and IT MOVED! EEEEEEEK! So I grabbed another jar and put the bottom of that one over the top of the one with the bat in it (both lg. mouth quarts). Then I headed upstairs...not easy-ya have to duck under the doorway going up and the stairs are steep and narrow and CEMENT...and I'm thinking: 'DON'T DROP THE JARS, DON'T DROP THE JARS' (Broken glass and a loose, live bat would not be a good thing in my stockin' toed feet. I get upstairs and sit the jars on the counter and holding the top one on with one hand (although I don't think the bat could get outa the jar anyhow), I'm rummaging through a drawer looking for a lg. mouth lid and ring with the other hand. Finally found lid and ring and put on jar-trapped bat! Wake up DBF and tell him I got a bat in a jar on the kitchen counter (no fair he gets to sleep through this! smile ) and he says 'Well, take it outside and let him go.' ICK-cold out-stockin' feet and loose bat! Dunno2.gif OK. crazy.gif So I took him out and took the ring and lid off and laid the jar on it's side-bat didn't move. So I picked up the jar and gave him a little toss and he eeked and sqeeked and I made a bee-line back in the house. NOT GOING BACK IN THE CELLAR-so I get back on and Pogo's still on...and well, you know the rest.

Guess I'm gonna start having to put my empty jars in the boxes upside down. Oh, and the bat was gone in the morning-he either got away or something ate him. yumyum.gif

Originally Posted By: jewlzm

*thinking of where that FBI thread is at*.. they are gonna have a field day with the cats heads and tongues and now canning bats.. they are going to investigate the worlds food sources

Please note...The FBI are back. You know where to look. :happy0203:

paranoid-1.gif

Archived