MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha wanna can?

Darlene

It seems that we have many people just beginning their journey with canning, so I was just thinking (if anyone was interested) that maybe we could can some stuff together. We were gonna start this a little while ago but I wasn't able to at that time, but now might be a great time to do so.

What I'm thinking is that we could pick something a group of us will commit to can...say some type of jam, some veggie, some meal, etc. We could take the next week to accomplish it, posting our experiences along the way, and at the end of the week we could report all our successes!

I'm open to can anything...there's nothing that's necessarily in season down here right now, but I can go buy whatever is decided upon and can right along with you.

Am I making any sense? lolol

We can do either water bath canning items or pressure canning items, or a mixture of each, it doesn't matter to me.

We can do fruits or veggies, or meals like soups, chowders, stews, sauces, etc...whatever you'd like.

Anybody interested? And if you are, is there anything in particular you'd like to start with?

Don't make me do this all alone *pout*...lol

I’d like to start with hamburger but will work on whatever you decide. Only canning experience are green beans, tomatoes, and sauerkraut (which didn’t turn out). And jellies, and pears. That's all I remember. No meats.

You are one determined girl! Been long time since canned anything and want to climb back on the wagon as long as you go slow bike2.gif LOL.

Woo hoo, I’m going to be a princess…… princess.gif

As for the vinegar thing, never knew it was used. Always just wiped down jars when cooled off. Let me know what final decision is… before, during, or after canning.

yaya.gif at Westie over in corner.

Sounds like fun and seeing we just made new shelves to make the root cellar bigger we are looking for things to fill it up. We have both kinds of canners so anything would be OK - But poor Lori is tired of doing tomatoes? Did that every day last week. Salsa, Pasta Sauce, Pizza Sauce, Ketchup, Chili Seasoning and on and on and on................

So count us in and looking forward to canning more.

Ok, so far I see we will can hamburger, salsa and soups (any kind of soup in particular?). We'll be doing water bath canning and pressure canning.

What's in season for y'all? I'm going to be heading up to Georgia in October to get a few hundred pounds of apples to bring home to can, so I'd like to wait till then to do apples.

Any more ideas on what y'all would like to try in particular?

I'm really excited about doing this...we're gonna have a blast!

Quote:
I wanna sit on the couch and watch tv and eat chocolate bonbons!

Oh no you're not!

If I hafta fly to Kommiefornia and steal all your vinegar, I will!

No excuses westie...it's time to put your jars where your mouth is.

*gasp*

rofl

October and apples works for me. I can usually get free ones after first freeze.

This week, I can't do, because my PC just got here and I need to have it tested. And figure out what the heck I'm doing in the first place, so I'm gonna can some water LOL. But give me a week to at least figure out the basics and I'll jump in next week!

This will be fun!

Mo7

Since not all have a pressure canner yet we should start with something in a water bath canner. Might give some folks time to get a pressure canner. i found a store that stocks the same little caner I got for $35. if any want to start with that send me a PM and I will try and get 1 to you. Just be aware it says it will not work above 3000ft.

I'm going to do French cut green beans, and MORE pickles today. In another few weeks, I will have glut of sauce tomatoes to process. They're still green this far north.

I feel comfortable with both of the above, but I would like to learn more about canning soups and meals. I do have one chicken-rice soup recipe that I do - it's from a Kerr book. I can share that recipe if you'd like.

ok, so I will watch you all and eat chocolate bonbons.

apples and peaches are in season for me right now but so is goat, rabbit, turkey, chicken.

oh and bonbons made of delicious chocolate.. melt in your mouth chocolate... so delicately sweet, smooth....

Quote:
oh and bonbons made of delicious chocolate.. melt in your mouth chocolate... so delicately sweet, smooth....

Speaking of such...

I just got back from the health food store and bought some carob covered raisins, carob covered peanut clusters and carob haystacks.

Enjoy your chocolate chica and watch those pounds!

This sounds like fun! I don't care what we make - but if it's something I've just done within the past few weeks, I may only make a small batch.

Oh, and if you do tomatoes first, I'm going to have to sit on the sidelines. I chopped my finger today pretty bad.

Keiko

Count me in. I made Nana's corn chowder last week and it's so pretty in the jars I can't bring myslef to put them away. LOL!! I hope it tastes as good as it looks. I'm trying a small batch of blueberry preserves this evening. (first try) But I'm game to try something new.

Unless someone has any objections, I figured the 2 things we would start out with would be:

Chicken soup - Pressure Canned

Salsa - Water Bath Canned

I figure since we're heading into the fall, and with the children being back in school, the flu and colds will be coming on soon. Chicken soup is a nutritious food to feed someone when they're not feeling well. I know that my daughter loves when I throw some dry noodles in a pot, open up a jar of my homemade chicken soup, and simmer it till the noodles are cooked.

For our water bath canning friends I figured since most of y'all are in your tomato season, that it would be a fun thing to can. There are a zillion recipes to choose from, and I'll post one or two that I have tried and liked.

The same goes for the chicken soup...I'll post my recipe...if I remember correctly, Nana's chicken soup recipe is here and I can copy and paste that also, or y'all can use your own recipes.

For my chicken soup recipe, some of the staples you'll need are:

1 whole chicken

carrots

celery

onion

salt

pepper

bay leaves

fresh garlic

For the salsa, I personally like Annie's Salsa recipe from the Garden Web...these are the ingredients that recipe calls for, or you can do your own salsa recipe:

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained

2 1/2 cups chopped onion

1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper

3 – 5 chopped jalapenos

6 cloves minced garlic

2 tsp cumin

2 tsp pepper

1/8 cup canning salt

¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

1/3 cup sugar

1 cup vinegar (for BWB or 1/3 cup vinegar for PC)

16 oz. tomato sauce

16 oz tomato paste

I figure we'll run this Chicken Soup and Salsa canning marathon starting tomorrow, Monday, September 11th, through next Sunday. I'll start individual posts for each recipe and we can report our progress there.

The following week, we'll home can some hamburger (pressure can) and make some garlic jelly (water bath can)...I've never made garlic jelly before so it should prove interesting...all I know is that I always have a ton of garlic! lol

*darlene heads to the freezer to take a chicken out*

Archived