MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Heavy Duty health info

Mother

Lois sent me this link in a PM and I felt it was informative enough to post for others.

http://www.healingmatters.com/index.htm

This site primarily deals with diabetes but links it to heart, liver, kidney and etc disease. This is not a link for the casual interest. It is an indepth, insightful, scientific explaination of the way our body works. It is also an eye opening experience into the way the drug industry, the food industry, the medical community and even our federal government has all profited from the diseases that COULD and CAN be prevented.

The physiological information found here directly parrelels the information I gained from the biology/anatomy course of a Wholistic Health program I took several years ago so I am pretty sure the information is sound.

One item the author talks about is our use of fats and oils. Of course the newest thinking is to omit transfats but he carries it full course, suggesting that we none of us get enough omega 3 oils in our diets and too much omega 6 and 9's which I've found to be true from all that I've read. He further states that most of our oils that are shelf stable have toxic properties that will harm us. I agree. This might be controversial as of yet but I believe it will be found to be true in the near future.

There is, of course, a book you can buy that explains a complete program, isn't there always? Still, there is enough information within the site to start a person realizing just how badly we have been led to mistreat our bodies without our knowledge.

If you read this site, please let us know what you thought about it, questions, additions, or doubts etc. Healing is more than just taking a medication or an herb. It needs to come through all facets of our lives. That's why the new movement is called Wholistic Healing.

• 11 months later...

Excellent site; I've bookmarked it for further study; I've scanned it so far to see what oils/fats they recommend we DO consume.

Am I understanding this correctly?

They advocate using only butter, coconut oil, and animal fat for cooking. They mentioned olive oil as well. They say to avoid allowing even any of these oils to reach a "smoke point" where valuable nutrients are broken down and destroyed, or toxic substances are released.

There are also recommendations for using unrefined fish oils, flax seed oil, and hemp seed oil among "several others" that they don't mention. I'm not familiar with using any of these; I'm not sure whether they're used for salads or in cooking...I've always used olive oil in salads and haven't ventured into experimenting with the more unusual (expensive) oils.

In keeping with my growing distrust of our government in general, I'm not at all surprised that the food producers have, like any other special intrest group, influenced legislation that assists them increase sales and profitability, rather than serve as safeguards to protect the general public's health.

I do have a question; the "animal fats" they are speaking of to use in cooking...would this be LARD? I was always taught that this was a dangerous substance to use, but now I'm not so sure. It was certainly used exclusively throughout history.

I'm a bit leery of the commercially produced lard that we see on the grocery shelves,though, especially in light of the misleading info we've been fed about other kinds of fats...Any thoughts on that?

Abigail, Lard is one of the animal fats but any fat that has it's source in animal origin is considered that. Tallow which is beef fat would be included, chicken as well. I use lard in some of my cooking, from our own pig usually as you can get a lot of the junk fed to pigs concentrated in the fat. Unless you eat all organic meat though you will have that in most of the meat you eat, including farm raised fish.

I noticed that this site doesn't seem to have been updated, at least the home page, since 2006 so be sure to take some of it cautiously. The research has been ongoing.

Coconut oil and animal fat and butter are all saturated fats and we need a certain percentage of fat to be healthy. The percentage is small however and we need polyunsaturated fats and even monounsaturated fats as well. What we DON'T need is hydrogenated fats, transfats, margarine and the likes which are found in so many products today.

The latest research shows that we need a blend of Omega oils. Omega 3,6,& 9 well and a few others but those are the ones we hear the most about. Each fat contains more or less of these substances and a balance is what we need to look for. To keep this from being technical, a variety of natural, unultered oils is the best approach. I use olive oil as my main cooking oil but vary the type for different purposes. Lighter ones for baked goods and etc. I also use small amounts of almond oil both in cooking and in skin care products. I use flax seed oil in small amounts in salads and ground flax seed in cereals and other baked goods (they are laxitive so start slow). Flax seed and oil has a slightly nutty taste and lends itself well in many things. It IS expensive but it goes a long way. I occassionally use an organic sunflower, canola and fish oils. I use coconut oils if I'm cooking something that needs to be cooked at a higher temp as it will stand up to those temps a lot better without changing it's chemical constitution like other oils can.

One thing to remember about unrefined oils is that it will need to be kept cool as it can turn rancid. Rancid oils are bad for your health. More on that later if anyone is interested. I refrigerate all of mine. I buy in small bottles or I repackage bigger ones and put the excess in the freezer until needed.

We all need fat and saturated fats, those containing the dreaded cholesterol, are necessary for health. They have been proven not to be the bug a boo that modern medicine would have us believe. When they are part of a healthy diet along with a variety of oils we can become healthier. I believe the true problem is the abundance of fat in our diets without the balance necessary. This might be a problem in a SHTF situation but then, maybe not as our bodies might be getting the fresh air, exercise and more wholesome foods that it needs, Might is the key word. That is why we prep. To cover those mights.

((( )))

Okay; I've got a bit of a problem here. I put these healthy oils on my grocery list and was blown away by the prices.

a 14 oz jar of solid coconut oil was $5.99 or 6.33, depending on brand.

Organic "High Heat" Safflower oil was $7.49 for 16 oz.

Next to it on the shelf was Almond oil $6.75 for only 8 oz. and

Avocado Oil at a whopping $10.49 for only 8 oz.

All of these were marked "refined for high heat." They were all the "spectrum" brandname, with the exception of the lower-priced coconut oil, which was tree of life brand.

This was NOT a health food store; it was the organic section of Rouse's Supermarket.

I know prices are going up, but this is completely unaffordable. Is this just a fluke, or is this really going rate for these "healthy" oils...sure hope not.

Anyone??

You can get oils much cheaper from a soap making store. But you will have to pay for shipping if one isn't close to you. If you order you should either email or call them to see if it is acceptable for human comsumption! For example you found:

Solid coconut oil was $5.99 for 14 oz.

Safflower oil was $7.49 for 16 oz.

Almond oil $6.75 for only 8 oz.

Avocado Oil $10.49 for 8 oz.

At Wholesale Supplies Plus they have:

Solid coconut oil (Butter) was $14.50 for 1 gallon.

Safflower oil was $3.50 for 16 oz.

Almond oil (Sweet) $4.50 for 16 oz.

Avocado Oil $3.75 for 16 oz.

They also have Emu oil at $16.25 for 0.25 lb.

According to their site "Emu Oil is an incredible lipid replenishing ingredient. It's unique penetrating properties make it an excellent carrier vehicle for other ingredients. Emu Oil makes bar soaps less drying and has been used in Australia for thousands of years as a natural remedy for the treatment of skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis, burns, sunburns, abrasions and dry skin. It is believed to have natural anti-inflammatory properties. This oil will appear creamy below 65º F."

I've heard a lot of good things about applying Emu Oil topically.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Store...+%26+Fixed+Oils

They also have Essential Oils.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Store...=Essential+Oils

You can Google around and find the closest soapmaking supplier closer to where you live to save on shipping.

Yes, Abigail, these oils are all high priced, isn't everything that's good for us now-a-days? Olive Oil is a bit cheaper if you aren't buying organic but even it has jumped on the band wagon.

The prices at Wholesale Supplies are good but remember they are not for organic oils even if they are food safe. As Jeepers says, ALWAYS ask when you buy from some place other than a food supply dealer.

I shop around for the best buys and I also wait until the oil I'm looking for goes on sale. It invariably does and then I buy it in quantities. I also have a very obliging manager in the health market area at our local HyVee grocery store. She will order many things in bulk for me that they don't normally stock. It's not a lot cheaper but I don't pay shipping there and I get a ten percent discount when I order in bulk. You might check to see but the initial outlay is costly when buying oils in bulk and you have to deal with storing them safely as most of these oils, not being refined, do not store well at room temp. long term. I store in the refrigerator or in the freezer where they will all get thick and congealed but they dissolve easily and it doesn't hurt them.

Expect to pay a lot for flax oil but you can use it sparingly and still get the health benefits. In fact, you can substitute ground flax seed (costly too but not as much as the oil). It's great sprinkled on cereals or in a salad or on soups.

Remember that these healthy oils don't have to be used in excess to be effective so they go a long way. If I were going to buy just one or two first I'd get the coconut oil and the flax. Just my preferences though.

((( )))

Thank you both for the info. Do you know how long they would last without refrigeration though? I'm thinking through extended power outages that one would stand to lose their entire stock of this oil...

I ask because I'm trying to determine how much I could store for my family's use during an extended emergency and not lose much of it. I'd rather use the $$ for other preps instead, KWIM?

This sounds silly, but does the coconut oil impart a coconut taste to the foods cooked in it?

These oils store for at least two years on the shelf if unopened and kept reasonable cool. I've used older oils even as long as they don't smell rancid when opened. If they DO smell rancid I use them to make soap or at least in the case of olive oil, to burn for light.

Remember that fats might be the very nutrient missing in your diet during an extended SHTF situation. We can live without added fat in our diets but being able to add fats will make the diet more familiar to those not used to going without it and we could see problems develop if we are not cautious to eat foods containing natural fats. Wild game is usually fairly lean unless going into winter and though grains and seeds do contain an appreciable amount of good fats, we might not be able to eat them in the amounts we need to obtain that fat. Avocados, sunflowers, pumpkin and squash seeds, peanuts and other nuts, and etc are all foods high in fat that can be home grown or found wild in various areas.

I've never noticed a coconut taste with the oil. It's very bland if there is. I use it to fry with (the few times I do fry something) as it takes higher heat than most oils. I use it in baked goods but not in salads as it's a bit greasy feeling cold. I do use small amounts in my blended fruit smoothies as it adds health benefits and acts as an emulsifier to make them creamy. I have a back up battery operated blender and am working on getting a hand operated one also just in case as I would miss my smoothies not to mention making nut milks. (I know, I'm spoiled) I also use coconut oil in my salves and lotions.

((( )))

FWIW....Canola oil is one of the most sprayed oils in it's plant growing life.

I have read about Canada & Europe banning the use of Canola in livestock feed and human consumption.

I do not have any proof of this...looking for the thread where this was discussed. I believe in the Flu Wiki..old yeller.

This info caught my interest, will look for more proof.

Thank you all. Well, considering I'm in the deep south, without a/c it would be difficult to keep "reasonably cool." Unless...maybe one of those "zeer pots" may do to save your more fragile oils during such times. Remember that thread?

Now the trick will be to look for those sales...

P.S. I didn't think about being able to use them for soap or lighting if no longer good to consume. Thanks for that suggestion.

I've been using coconut oil here in TX for a while and it has not gone off even tho my kitchen is not air conditioned and I live in a mobile home. Everything else I've used has gone rancid on me very shortly.

I'm planning to do a more sustainable supply of fat by using lard from the pigs I raise. I already use duck fat for frying when I have it. I've got to do a round of culling soon, so will have lots of lovely duck fat. Chicken fat is great too, tho these free range roosters tend to be rather lean. Can't grow coconuts or olives here and I refuse to eat canola oil. Stuff is deadly! I'd like to grow black oil sunflowers for the seeds but fire ants got my plants last time I tried it.

Will check out this site! Thanks!

I have a 5gal bucket of TT virgin coconut oil in my garage and it stays solid most of the yr even in TX...I found though I hate the coconut flavor in this and prefer the expellor pressed.

The way we do flax oil here is in smoothies... that would have to change in some situations obviously... but for now it works well.

A nice way to get olive oil too is *better butter*... mix olive oil and softened butter... start with 3 or 4 parts butter to 1 part olive oil.... yummy, healthy, and sometimes cheaper. Also better butter spreads easier even cold.

• 2 weeks later...

I use TT expeller pressed coconut oil. I buy it in the 5 gal container at a time. That lasts me about 6 months. I use it in bread baking and other things that require oil. I don't use it in salad dressings though.

I taste no coconut flavor in the expeller pressed...really didn't either in the organic extra virgin variety either, but it's way more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

YIKES!!! What is this about canola oil? Most of the oil I have stockpiled is canola oil! I thought it was supposed to be good for high cholesterol. Someone please let me know where I can read about its dangers. Boy! I'm going to really hate to have to get rid of 20 or so 1 1/2 quart bottles in my stock.

I think it depends on who you believe, personally, i'll never give up olive oil. we were always told to keep away from the butter at the popcorn stand down at the movies as it wasn't butter at all, just butter flavored coconut oil and very bad for us. i'm certianly not going to dump all our stored oils in my diesel tank just to get rid of it. you can get a thousand opinions on the net. just eat what you like in moderation.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T043800.asp

BEST OILS

1. Flaxseed

COMMENTS

Best source of omega 3 fatty acids; has heart- healthy properties; is a colon-friendly oil; lessens constipation; boosts immunity; promotes healthy skin; contains the healthy phytonutrient, lignin; spoils quickly without careful storage; not to be used in cooking

2. Canola

One of the lowest oils in saturated fats, making it a heart-friendly oil; a rich source of essential omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.

3. Soybean

Contains both omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, but is often highly refined and hydrogenated.

4. Olive oil (virgin or extra virgin)

Doesn't need high temperature or chemical processing, since it is made from the flesh of the olive and not the seed; slow to spoil; okay for medium-temperature cooking; in moderation lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol without affecting HDL, (good) cholesterol thereby improving the HDL-to-LDL ratio.

5. Pumpkin seed

Low in saturated fats; rich in omega-6 fatty acids, may contain some omega 3's; refining and chemical processing lowers the nutritional qualities.

WORST OILS

1. Cottonseed

High in saturated fats; likely to contain pesticide residues; frequently hydrogenated.

2. Palm kernel

High in saturated fats, therefore a potentially cholesterol-raising oil.

3. Coconut

Highest in saturated fats of all popular oils; one of the most heart-unhealthy oils.

It is true that you can get a ton of different answers from a ton of different sources and still not know what is best for you. This is a clip from All-organic-food.com

From Letters to the Editor, Acres USA magazine, March 2001

The Straight Dope on Canola Oil

"Is canola oil not a healthy oil? I have a small business helping people with health and wellness, and I was lead to believe canola oil was "good" oil. I trust your research and truly enjoy the newspaper." — Bonnie Hach, Alta, Iowa

(Acres' response) We've all been told at some time or another that canola is one of the healthiest oils on the market. Canola, which is an amalgam of the words "Canada" (whence it originated) and "oil," is actually derived from the rapeseed, a member of the mustard family which is generally unfit for human consumption and was once more commonly used as a potent pesticide and lubricant, among other things. Chemically, canola breaks down at 5% saturated fat, 57% oleic acid, 23% omega–6, and 10–15% omega–3.

The reason canola is particularly unsuited for consumption is because it contains a very–long–chain fatty acid called erucic acid, which under some circumstances is associated with fibrotic heart lesions.

Sally Fallon, author of Nourishing Traditions, notes that the omega–3 fatty acids of processed canola oil are transformed during the deodorizing process into trans–fatty acids. She relates that one study indicated that "heart healthy" canola oil actually created a deficiency of vitamin E, which, as many of us know, is essential to our cardiovascular health. And on the practical side of things, canola isn't that good either. Because of its high sulphur content, it goes rancid easily, and baked goods used with the oil develop molds rather quickly....

It has been very much in vogue in healthfood circles to praise canola oil as very healthy oil — high in polyunsaturates, while condemning tropical oils such as coconut or palm oil as being saturated and unhealthy.

The high praise for canola is propaganda put forth by the Canadian government because "canola," a hybridized rape plant, is one of that nation's chief export products. Rapeseed oil contains toxic erucic acid. Canola has much less erucic acid in it.

Healthfood store operators parrot the hype without checking any facts. Consumers search out various products with canola oil in them because they believe this is somehow much healthier than other oils. All foodgrade canola, including the varieties sold in healthfood stores, are deodorized from its natural terrible stink with 300 degree F. high–temperature refining. You cannot cook a vegetable oil at that temperature and leave behind anything much edible.

Research at the University of Florida– Gainsesville, determined that as much as 4.6% of all the fatty acids in canola are "trans" isomers (plastic) due to the refining process. Contrary to popular opinion, saturated fats, especially those found in coconut oil are not harmful to health, but are important nutrition. There are no trans isomers in unrefined coconut butter, for example. This refers to many published research papers by Mary Enig, Ph.D. that refutes all the establishment propaganda condemning saturated fats.

In 1996, the Japanese announced a study wherein a special canola oil diet had actually killed laboratory animals. Reacting to this unpublished, but verified and startling information, a duplicate study was conducted by Canadian scientists using piglets and a canola oil based milk replacer diet.

In this second study published in Nutrition Research, 1997, v17, the researchers verified that canola oil somehow depleted the piglets of vitamin E to a dangerously low level....

There is much more here:

http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/new/canola.htm

Whole Foods Market takes a different stance on Canola Oil. They have taken their information mostly from Canadian research and it is a bit older than the one above. They recommend you use only organic canola oil and that you do not heat it higher than medium heat, using it primarily for baking. They also recommend that you vary the types of oils you use and not use the same one exclusively. That info can be found here:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/wholebody/...nts/canola.html

In today's age of the information highway it is very difficult to know which to believe. I generally look at dozens of different studies AND I try to look at who funded that study. Sometimes that information is difficult to find but if you delve deep enough it is there. I also look at the dates on those studies as some claims are siting studies done decades ago.

I have done that with canola oil and have chosen not to use it. There is just too much material against as compared to for it. Rape, from which Canola is made, is purported to be the most sprayed crop there is and if you read further in the first report you will find it is also vastly generically altered. On top of that, according to that article and many others I've read, Monsanto actually recalled hundreds of thousands of pounds of the seed after it was found to have a harmful gene after one such genetic alteration. It was found that much of that recalled seed never came back. I have also personally found that canola becomes rancid much more quickly than does some of the other oils I stock, which are many and varied. There has been many studies done recently that show rancid oils are bad for our systems. This is only my personal research and opinion.

I would not throw away your canola oil. If you chose to use it, do so in moderation with low or medium heat. I've read that it can be used as a small part of the fuel in diesel vehicles (ten percent is my understanding) in a pinch as can other oils.

It can also be used for lighting in a simple oil lamp. Here's a link for one: http://hubpages.com/hub/Build_a_simple_oil_lamp

In a SHTF situation we will probably use whatever we have on hand or can get to sustain life. Just be sure that you rotate the oil as you would any of your stores and do some personal research to find out which oil you might want to replace it with as you do. A variety might be wise.

Personally I stock cold pressed olive oil as my main oil but make sure that I have a variety in that also in the form of extra virgin, virgin, light olive oils, olive oil spritzers and I store most of it in the freezer. I stock coconut oil which is technically a saturated fat but will take the highest temperature of all the oils without smoking and will store the longest without going rancid in my personal experience. Like eggs, it has been much maligned as unhealthy for hearts but the American Heart association is starting to reverse it's thinking on both eggs and saturated fats and now suggest they can be used in moderation. I use it in cooking, baking and in many of my skin care products and on my hair. I have flax seed oil, the most delicate in my opinion and store it in the refrigerator and/or freezer. I have almond oil and do the same with it. I also have sunflower oil that I use alternatively with the others I usually have some safflower oil but don't use it as much.

By the way, I also store lard and tallow and will use both occassionally both in food preps and in skin care products. I'm just careful how much I injest. I also use butter in moderation.

In a SHTF situation I would not hesitate to use what fat I had available for both cooking and lighting and on my skin if I needed it. If the situation went on long enough and was severe enough it's very possible there will be NO food oils available except that which you might produce yourself. Sunflowers can be grown for their oil but extracting it is a laborious task. Better to just eat the sunflowers for your dietary oil and use animal fat if available for cooking.

As always, do the research and then decide for yourself just what is best for you and your family. Always remember that any research will generally be slanted towards where it's funding came from. It is usually the same company that wants to sell it's product that funds those studies.

((( )))

Mother - I thank you so much for all the information. I may try to find ways to use the canola other than eating it and buy some other oil/fat. I really like to cook with olive oil. Sometimes I wish it was back the 40's and 50's...when we didn't know so much. We ate what we had and didn't realize the benefits or dangers....we had buttered biscuits every morning, butter between our stack of pancakes, butter on the vegetables...YUMMY!

Still Surviving - Thank you for all the information. I'm going to do some research on my own, using your and Mother's fact sheets. This survival prepping gets to be a little complicated when we try to store things which will last a long time AND are good for us AND our family will eat!!!

Archived