MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ever think about what the younger generations have no clue about...

Nett

Okay, I know that sounds mystic, but it is really basic.

What about......

free television

rotary telephones

only having 1 to 4 channels to watch on tv

computers only being for big businesses and the size of two-story homes

party lines on the telephone

no cell phones

calculators the size of adding machines

no wal-mart?

Things that most people take for granted that in less than 25 or 30 years have become common place in most peoples lives.

If this belongs to a different thread go ahead and move it. I didn't know where else to put it. I would like to see what could be added to this list. Look in your own home and name as many as you can things that you would have never thought of when you were growing up. I am curious on where this could go.

Video games....I remember that you had to go out and put your coin in to play things like pinball, pac-man, astaroid..etc. Being able to play a video game in your home, I never would have dreamed of.

Microwaves. Mine broke a few years ago. I was stumped. I knew my Mom could keep food warm or warm it up but couldn't remember how when I needed to, and I have only had a microwave for about 10 years!!!!!

Remote controls!!!! We may have only had a few channels, but we actually had to get up and change the channel or change the volume on the TV!!!!

I know I could think of more, but I am tired, so I will leave it to others to add to the list.

VCR/DVD Players

Dishwashers

Digital cameras

Central heat and air

Pizza delivery

Take out food

Space station and space shuttle

Internet

the vulgarity that now passes for entertainment (think I Love Lucy and Gunsmoke)

cordless phones/cell phones

debit cards

Xerox machines

Drive in theaters...

Playing guitar on the porch after supper...

The weekly pinochle game...

Making fudge...

Going to Gramma's house for Sunday supper - EVERY Sunday!

Eating dinner as a family the other 6 nights...

Playing Pooh Sticks...

Getting all the neighborhood kids and dads together for a baseball game in the street...

Road trips...

'Going camping' as the only vacation option...

The uppity family who bought a COLOR tv!

You are so right when it comes to digital cameras. My grand kids seem to think there is something wrong if we use a regular camera and they can't "see" as soon as I take the picture.

My home did not have central air, forced air heat, push button phone with no operator or party line, no computers, no printers, no copy machines, no television until I was 7, no calculators. The coffee pot was a percolator and I can still hear that sound. There would be no DVD movies. I am not sure about battery clocks. We had coo-coo clocks and clocks that chimed. We had a big radio with a record player. I listened to Gunsmoke and shows on the radio. The dryer would not be there and the neighbor kids are fasinated with the clothes outside. Rabbit ears on the tv. Lucky if you had the big antenna on the house. Air conditioning in the car would not be. No outside digital temperature reading in the truck or DVD player. We actually had to crank the windows up and down in the car, no push buttons. No automatic car lock or alarm.

A pick up ball game where not everyone makes the team and no trophies are handed out at the end of the season.

Playing out side all day with the kids next door.

Catching fireflies at night

taking a blanket out in the field and laying down and looking at the clouds and trying to decided what they look like

building a fort and telling ghost stories.

making mudpies and having tea parties

drinking from the water hose

taking your shoes off on the porch because you dare not track mud on momma's freshly mopped floors.

Decoration Sunday where all the relatives are buried

(EDITED BY CAT... She means when people went to the cemeteries where their relatives were buried to decorate the graves. Though there *might* be some relatives you'd like to bury, that's not this. wink )

Family reunions where you have to deal with Great Aunt Sue pinching your cheeks and saying I haven't seen you in ages (when she really just saw you last week at church)

Being able to carry a pocket knife to school because you knew what it was really to be used for

Not eating out on Sundays but you went home and played with your cousins while moms and aunts cooked lunch

Church

Dinner on the grounds at church (Homecomming at church)

hubby says loyalty, respect, manners, empathy

Adding one to go along with preparings....winding the old grandfather clock with a key

I mentioned to a co-worker last week about having baked a loaf of bread. She said, "yeah, my bread machine broke & I really miss it" She was totally stumped when I told her I didn't HAVE a bread machine! She looked puzzled & asked "then how do you make it?" My reply? "With THESE" (as I extended my hands).

Transitor radios on a summers day down at the water hole that you and all your friends went swimming in to cool off. No air conditoning. Front porch visits every night with the neighbors. Playing outside all day without anyone worried about you. Schwinn bikes. Roller skates with keys. Paper fans in church. I could go on forever!

Q

Originally Posted By: Leah
Drive in theaters...

My kids still go to the drive in theater, but it isn't the same. There is no playground equiptment in front of the screens, or kids running around playing in their pj's....starting out with cartoons for the little kids....listening to the movie through the scratchy speaker box instead of your car radio. Nope, not the same experience at all. They still like to go and we try to go once a summer. My work schedule makes it harder to go more often.

Hoola Hoops, kool-aid, those round barbeque grills with the spit that turned the chicken and you actually used charcoal with that lighter stuff, spinning tops, slinkies, dodgeball and kickball in the street, milkman, good humor truck where everyone came running when you heard the bell ringing. And women wore slips and girdles. Whatever happened to slips and girdles? Sears, Montgomery Ward, JCPenney and Spiegel catalogues. Board games like Clue and Chutes and Ladders and Pony Express.

Man I kind of like being poor...we get a lot of that stuff here LOL...we don't have satellite TV, we live in a small town so the kids are outside all day, no dishwasher, no ipods, Sunday dinner (we also have a big Saturday dinner with some new friends now), sitting around on a Sunday afternoon fixing bikes or working on cars, no hanging out at the mall or TV's, computers, game systems in every bedroom. WE have board games and read a lot, h ave an "ice cream man" etc.

We DO have a computer, and a bread machine, and a digital camera, so we aren't THAT behind LOL...but still...

Mo7

Originally Posted By: Nett
... Look in your own home and name as many as you can things that you would have never thought of when you were growing up. ...

Electronics ~ Microwave, toaster oven, TV & computer entertainment systems, etc.
Packaged food & drinks
Sewing machines
Washer & Dryer
Central heating & cooling
Waterbeds
Hot tubs
Generators
Dive equipment

Originally Posted By: Necie
RESPONSIBILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY. frown

WHA DAT? Scratch-Head.gif

Cell Phones
Phones without an extension cord
cordless tools
garage door openers that were not YOU! grin
Lazer Printers
any printers...lol
Barcodes & Scanners in the stores

Everything made out of plastic. Plastic catsup bottles. Plastic Coke bottles. Coke and Pepsi are supposed to be in glass bottles and you return the bottle for money!! Bottle openers for the Coke and Pepsi. Electric can openers instead of crank can openers on the wall.

Chalk boards; pounding erasers after school;

sharpening pencils with your pen knife;

unfastening envelopes to use the inside for notes;

Grampa cracking the black walnuts from the tree in his vise in the garage;

Hoeing potatoes in the sun; shelling beans and peas on the porch with Gramma;

Ice cream cones as a once in a while special treat;

Running through the sprinkler;

The swimming hole with it's swing;

Day after day of absolutely nothing to do but be a kid in the summertime...

Originally Posted By: FLGardenGirl
I mentioned to a co-worker last week about having baked a loaf of bread. She said, "yeah, my bread machine broke & I really miss it" She was totally stumped when I told her I didn't HAVE a bread machine! She looked puzzled & asked "then how do you make it?" My reply? "With THESE" (as I extended my hands).

Hey I have a bread maker just like yours and I get the same comments and those deer in the headlight looks.

Wanted to add...

Marbles
Jacks
pick up sticks

I remember walking to town (about 2 miles, and I could walk by myself as a child), and also ride my bike around town by myself. Shopping for nylons by going into the department store, going to the lingere counter and being waited on by a salesclerk. You would tell her your size, and she would take out a box of nylons for you to choose the color. She would then wrap them in tissue and place them in a slim box. They also came in two separate legs, and we wore either a garter belt or a girdle with them. Didn't wear "pantyhose" till college. Remember going to the 5 and dime (Kresses and Woolsworth). Ahh, the good old days. Nice going down memory lane.

baby dolls and trucks and cars that didn't "do" anything unless the kid had an imagination

classic cartoons (I just bought a couple of DVDs of Caspar the Friendly Ghost, Woody Woodpecker, and Felix the Cat for $1 each)

movies that didn't require an explanation of the vulgarity and lewdness (in primetime yet!)

We still play board games. We have Scrabble, Clue, checkers, chess, Chutes and Ladders, Candyland, to name a few, plus cards and various card games.

I had to chuckle at my DD today. She saved and carefully washed out a jumbo sized margarine tub for her nine month old so he could thump on it with a spoon. He thought it was a grand idea.

We also played in the mud (mudpies!), played cowboys and Indians, played Army, climbed trees, and had watermelon seed spitting contests. I think my GS will be a champion watermelon seed spitter. Take a look.

588-reallyyummy!.jpg

He is adorable...you can tell he loves that watermellon. I think with my neices and nephews we have a bunch of watermellon theives. Last cookout when everyone was there I cut the watermelon up, went to get a piece and it was all gone. One of them had come back for 7 pieces!!!!

That reminds me of another one. We sill have them in our family, but the big multigenerational family cookouts. We would all load up in my aunts station wagon. (My Mom didn't drive.) We would have any where from 6 to 12 kids crowded in that wagon,most of us sitting on the floor in the back. The adults obviously got to sit up front, away from us kids. We did not have seat belts, and moved around in the car at will. My baby brother niece either sat up front in mom's lap of in a car bed. Which was just a soft bed with feet on it that we put on the floor of the back seat. Never would we be able to transport kids like that now. Sometimes we even had a dog or two crowded in with us. We had loads of fun and all took off in different directions once we got to Nana's house. Naturally we had to stop and see Nana and Great Aunt Sue (Nana's aunt) before we could run off and have fun. Oh and we did not interupt adult conversation. That was a given. Anyone who forgot that rule learnt real fast to remember it the next time.

I remember a trip we took to see the circus. Two adults and approx. 10 kids in a 1975 caprice classic. Could not do that these days. You would be looking at fines running into the thousands.

I taught my kids to shoot marbles and play jacks and they love it. My 7yo dd thinks it is grand that she has her own marbles and two awesome shooters. LOL

Archived