MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New member checking in - Hello everyone!

Greywolf

Got invited to come over here recently from a nice lady named Misty at Warrifles.com. Some of you (or your husbands) may know me or my reputation (such as it is) from other boards I'm on or have been on in the past. I'm trying to convince my wife to get on board here as well, though she's a bit reluctant and has little experience doing this sort of thing.

BTW - she's the creator of the infamous, world-renowned Kalashnikitty t-shirts:

Kalashnikitty.jpg

agirlandhergun2.jpg

I'm here mostly for help in preparing (short and long-term survival) and for networking, trying to find people in my area (Tampa, FL) to become friends with, team up with in times of trouble, and share skills. I'm ex-military, currently work in healthcare at an ER in a local hospital, and have a lot of working knowledge of firearms, shooting, and a plethora of odds and ends. I grew up on Marine bases all over the world and have traveled and lived in a lot of places. Wife grew up in Miami. We both are interested in simplifying our lives and looking to eventually (10 years from now is target, when we turn 50) getting a homestead and mini-farm in the hill country of Texas, so we'll be interested in learning more about how things really work on a small farm, and want to learn to become more self-sufficient. Perhaps we can even find a member on here who would allow us someday to stay with them on their farm for a week and let us work with them, learning, and have sort of a working vacation to see if we are up to the task of doing it on our own.

Thanks for inviting me in here.

Well Greywolf, first of all welcome to MrsSurvival! That Misty girl is something else...lol

I just moved from Miami up to the mountains and have 12 acres. If you look around here over the past month or so, you'll see alot of my posts describing my experiences going from a blue blood suburbian girly girl to a rural mountain *who knows what anymore* lolol.

A month into it, I have 3 horses out in my pasture, 2 livestock guardian dogs who have escaped the boarding kennel I put them in when I went to Miami this past weekend, a chinese pug who won't leave the property no matter how much I beg her darlene lol, and am in the planning stages to add quite a few varieties of livestock over the next 6-9 months (beef cattle, chickens, maybe a hog and some goats, etc).

Give me a little time to get everything organized here (I've only been here a month and a half so far), and y'all will be more than welcome to experience a real working mini farm. I have a house plus a guest house (2 bedrooms, kitchen, bath, loft and greatroom), so y'all could have your space in the guest house and by then there would be a ton of things you could see...gardening, canning, livestock, guardian dogs for the livestock from predators, etc. Oh, and a pond that you could fish in too.

Presently, I am taking a crash course in all this, and although overwhelming, I'm getting there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be able to live this kind of life, but it does take common sense and alot of muscle. I'm in the process of taking something that had nothing done to it for at least 10 years and working it up to a maintence level. I wouldn't trade it for the world, and I certainly wouldn't ever go back to the suburbian life. A 10 year game plan is great in theory but I sometimes wonder if we'll have that long before we'll need to be more resourceful with our own homesteads.

Thank you all for your welcome. Darlene, the wife and I have been reading with interest, hilarity, and some concern your posts this morning. I've posted a few responses in them as well.

Would love to visit when you are ready - you can even make up a list of "Honey-dos" for me! We've renovated 3 houses, have a lot of electrical, plumbing, drywall, and miscellaneous knowledge that you could draw from and the wife is probably the most amazing cook I've ever met, and I've met a LOT in my days in restaurants - she has an incredible talent that is fortunately wasted on just me and our neighbors smile

We'll have to send you some recipes sometime soon.

As for the gameplan - yeah, I don't know about 10 years. We worked so [censored] hard to get back to Florida after 8 years in TN that now that we're here we are depressed about having to maybe pack up and leave all over again. We've finally gotten into a good financial situation, I started a new career in health-care 2 years ago, and our bills are more than manageable now - but, the prospect of packing up, moving all our stuff and our 8 cats and 2 dogs is daunting - no kids to worry about at least, though.

But the situation here is fluid - if the crime, taxes, insurance, or weather gets any worse we may be forced to move up our schedule.

Hi Greywolf. wave3.gif Nice to meet ya.

Glad Misty got ya to join. Hope your wife will join in, too. Have her go to the Kitchen and check out some of our goodies-maybe she'll add to them and give us some of her recipes. Does she do any preserving/canning?-go to Preserving the Harvest. Darlene has some great recipes and how-to's-with pictures even. grin

Hey Westie!! I think we can add Greywolf and his DW to the MrsS Slumber Party list. clap Put his wife and Dar on KP-and we'll all get FAT, FAT, FAT! rofl

welcome.gif

Well then you and Mrs Wolf will hafta come down during canning season. If she cooks like me, she'll fall madly, passionately in love with home canning.

After living for 22 years in Florida and having just left, I find it interesting that y'all worked so hard to get back there. These days that's a rare thing indeed.

WELCOMESUNPORCH.jpg to Mrs. S., both of you.

What are her interests, maybe she would like to check out the Homemade Memories too. smile

We are starting our Christmas Ornament Exchange sign up so she might like to join that. smile

HAVEANICEDAY8.gifHAPPYMONDAYPURLEANDGOLD.gif

Hey Greywolf--One big welcome!! I grew up in Tampa graduated from Chamberlain High School. I now live in Texas, north of Dallas.We are planing on moving west of Ft. Worth next year.

It will be fun to talk-----------

Originally Posted By: Darlene
Well then you and Mrs Wolf will hafta come down during canning season. If she cooks like me, she'll fall madly, passionately in love with home canning.

After living for 22 years in Florida and having just left, I find it interesting that y'all worked so hard to get back there. These days that's a rare thing indeed.

We missed the beaches, and all the things that we didn't do while we were there that we then couldn't do while we were in TN - didn't much care for the people and lack of things to do in TN, plus my Miami-bred wife couldn't stand the weather.

Now that we are here we are hoping to do all those fun things, but eventually due to cost of living, crime, people in general, and urban living we'll most likely be looking to get the hell out of Dodge again.
Originally Posted By: Snowmom
WELCOMESUNPORCH.jpg to Mrs. S., both of you.

What are her interests, maybe she would like to check out the Homemade Memories too. smile

We are starting our Christmas Ornament Exchange sign up so she might like to join that. smile

HAVEANICEDAY8.gifHAPPYMONDAYPURLEANDGOLD.gif

Most of her interests revolve around writing (fantasy), cooking, and enjoying nature - loves birds, animals, etc. But she can get pretty "crafty" as well smile
Originally Posted By: BiscuitMaker
Hey Greywolf--One big welcome!! I grew up in Tampa graduated from Chamberlain High School. I now live in Texas, north of Dallas.We are planing on moving west of Ft. Worth next year.
It will be fun to talk-----------

I'm still researching TX and trying to decide on where to get some land - I have about $30,000 available (plus could borrow more) if I find a nice plot that would be good for growing as well as harvesting game animals, and that wasn't too far from jobs - luckily the wife works from a home office that can be anywhere, and I am in a high-demand job in healthcare.

welcome5 to both of you. I hope your wife will join us here too. I love nature, animals, birds and writing (fiction and non fiction both)also and will look forward to some of her posts. Yours too. I'm really glad you decided to join us here.

Okay, people, we need a party. balloons Lets bring out the goodies for a welcome party for the Greywolfs and all the rest of the new members. I've got a big pot of BBQ ribs and some fresh green beans I'll share. Who's bringing the Desert? grin

bighug

2007-03-09-Potluck.jpgYeeeeHAW!!!
Originally Posted By: farmgal
Welcome Greywolf. I lurked here for a year before posting. Tell Ms. Greywolf that the folks 'round here don't bite, but to be careful of westbrook rummaging thru her pockets for chocolate!

THAT would be an interesting fight.

I hear in the healthcare jobs, that you can even get a signing contracts here. Big demand in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Land is getting high 10-12thousand an A. But that is land close enough so you can still get to work in the city. Gun laws here are very liberal and no state income tax. The main issue here is water be sure and check out water in your research. The climate in N.Texas is hot in the summer and really nice in the winter.Snow maybe once a year and 1/2 inch at that some ice.

Archived