MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bacon Grease

still survieving

I am not familiar with home canning and preserving sausage in this manner...using fats.

I do know that bacteria can thrive and hide in fats and that personally, I would not consider this a safe practice, nor would I suggest anyone else doing it. It's actually a recipe for disaster, so please be careful and re-think this preservation process.

http://christianhomekeeper.com/index.php/h...me-can-sausage/

How To Home Can Sausage

Omit sage from your recipe if you are mixing your own sausage. In canning it will make the sausage bitter. Use a very light hand with other herbs and spices including garlic and onion, they will become stronger tasting in the canned sausage.

I simply use a bit of hot red pepper, black pepper, salt, and some thyme or marjoram for sausage that is to be canned.

Use 2/3 lean meat to 1/3 fat to make the best canned sausage.

Can sausage the same way as you can ground meat, except:

# Make small patties, cook til very done.

# Unlike ground beef, you use the fat from cooking the sausage in canning it.

# Don’t fill the jar too full, 2/3 full is enough.

# Pour the grease in and cover the sausages.

# You may want to melt some extra lard to use in covering the sausages in the jars. Keep it very hot while waiting to be poured.

Adjust lids, can in pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure.

Pints 75 minutes

Quarts 90 minutes

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/...eal,%20Venison)

MEAT GROUND OR CHOPPED (Beef, Bear, Lamb, Pork, Sausage, Veal, Venison)

Back to Table of Contents for Section 5

Procedure: Choose fresh, chilled meat. With venison, add one part high-quality pork fat to three or four parts venison before grinding. Use freshly made sausage, seasoned with salt and cayenne pepper (sage may cause a bitter off-flavor). Shape chopped meat into patties or balls or cut cased sausage into 3 to 4 inch links. Cook until lightly browned. Ground meat maybe sautted without shaping. Remove excess fat. Fill jars with pieces. Add boiling meat broth, tomato juice, or water, leaving 1 inch head space. Add 1 teaspoon of salt per quart to the jars, if desired. Adjust lids and process.

Recommended Processes

1) Dial-gauge Pressure Canner

Pints—75 minutes 11 PSI Quarts—90 minutes 11 PSI

2) Weighted-gauge Pressure Canner

Pints—75 minutes 15 PSI Quarts—90 minutes 15 PSI

still surviving, I'm not familiar with the website you posted.

This website, http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/ The National Center for Home Food Preservation, is an excellent resource. They recommend all excess fat be removed from sausage then process with boiling meat broth, tomato juice, or water.

Here's their link for processing ground meats.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/ground_chopped.html

As Darlene said, canning with fat is a recipe for disaster and personally, I don't think my family's life or my life is worth the risk when the process can be done in a different way with much safer results. smile

As far as using bacon grease...

We feed it to the chickens and cats; fry pancakes and eggs for breakfast, add it to biscuit dough, use it for lamp fuel, grease garden tools with it...

Probably other things, but that's all I can think of for now.

We have used bacon grease for all the usual things over the yrs, even used it on potaroes and pancakes but now we're on a cholesterol free diet, the people that stay and visit weekends and holidays eat all the bacon and sausage, I just can't get out of the habit of throwing away so we're over loaded with the grease..I guess it's time to just turn my head and toss it in the dumpster.

Darlene and the others are right, using fat in canning sausage can be deadly. It can allow botulism to survive, even with pressure canning. It surrounds the food particles, coats them like a blanket, and allows botulism to survive. Plus, it changes the density in the jars. You need even and thorough heat penetration when canning foods. Adding broth or liquid allows for the proper heat penetration.

I have never had bacon scented soap before. Hmmm, might smell god ! I tried to do a search but didn't see anything about bacon grease in soap making. Maybe someone else will know. I would be afraid of it becoming rancid.

Not so long ago, grandma would save the grease from the bacon pan and make soap once a year. Yes, you can make soap using only bacon grease. - http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/coldproc...atecprecipe.htm

How to Make Bacon Soap - http://www.instructables.com/id/S1ZSYTGJ9NEXCFLZ64/

that's a long time to be in the shower! lol

thanks for the links!

Bacon grease - yum! We used to use it to pan fry Okra - slice Okra, dip in cornmeal seasoned with Garlic salt and fry! Too good! Now we use it to make our own "suet" for the birds, melt and add Oatmeal, bird seed, cornmeal - bread crumbs/chunks - birds love it! Potatoes fried in Bacon Grease - heaven!

Pemmican was lean dried meat, then ground into a powder, mixed with fat, and then sometimes berries. It was not sealed airtight, but is more of a jerky type product. Botulism grows in the absence of air, as in a sealed jar. Pemmican would not have been sealed airtight with a vacuum, as in canning.

Also, because it was dried, there is the factor of water activitiy. Water activity (aw) is defined as the amount of water available for microbial (bacteria, yeast and mold) growth.

I can see it going rancid, though because of the fat.

I use bacon grease to saute celery and onions when I'm making lentil or potatoe soups. Sometimes the recipes call for bacon, and I don't always have bacon, but I always have a nice jar of strained bacon fat in the fridge!

Potatoes fried in bacon grease - goes without sayin'! smile

Back in the "50's" (I was just a kid...Ha) I would pick cotton at my friend's farm. Her mama would bring us lunch out to the field and sometimes it would be what they called "canned sausage". It was link sausage in a jar covered in lard. Tasted great.....but a lot of the old methods are said to be unsafe and not to be used anymore. When I can pan sausage I brown the patties slightly, then use beef broth. I've always been told that the fat in your canned food would turn rancid and the food wouldn't last as long.

You use it in open lamps, like bowls or a jar candle, not a closed lamp like an Aladdin. Beef gets really hard, sort of like wax, but bacon stays pretty soft.

So, question on the term "rancid." I understand that free radicals form, etc. But is rancid fat really an imminent threat to our safety? (as in food poisoning?) Or is it that it tastes bad, and potentially can cause inflammation and maybe heart disease if eaten over time?

Archived