MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Holy Smokes, I Didn't Realise!!

oops

I didn't realise just how much beans would swell!!! Holy Gas Bubbles Batman!!

Ummm... I knew beans would absorb the water and grow bigger but but but.. Lordy I have a dutch oven FULL of beans!! LOL

Uh well we will be eating beans for a few days, and uh I hope we are all fit to be around once this stuff is digesting..

It's okay you can laugh if ya like... lol my newness is showing huh. I have never ever cooked beans (dry) before now and I figured I should learn before a crisis forces me to learn this stuff the hard way. Oh my Gosh..

jawdrop

Wait till you see what lentils do!

They are worse than beans!

I found to my shock that 1lb of dried kidney beans makes enough chili for my family of 6. Two pounds gives me enough for 2 dinners, so I've started doing that and then freezing half. And the price! I luv my dried beans.

Debbie,

a recent member of the dried bean fan club

*Picking my jaw off the floor...*

I cooked approximately two pounds and I am feeding four.

We will be eating beans with everyting for about three days... I think the fiber intake will be about 500 grams a day...

I wonder if prune juice comes in 55 gallon barrels? lol

Redneck jacuzzi - bathtub and bean supper

Can you freeze some of them so they don't overwhelm you?

What kind did you soak... maybe we can help with more recipes?

twister

Here's where I'm at so far: I ended up with a dutch oven full of beans, eyeballing it looks to be six quarts! They are pintos. I was looking at the pot and looking at a pan of corn bread I baked earlier and wishing I had cooked kidneys instead.. but I figured why not go big. I dumped in a 28 oz can of tom sauce, a 28 oz can of crushed toms, and a 28 oz can of diced toms. I added a container of browned gr. beef I had, and chopped onion, chili powder, a little brown sugar, salt, a bay leaf, a smaller can of kidneys and a smaller can of black beans. Now I have a really huge pot approx 10 quarts of stuff that resembles chili. I think I'd like to freeze half of it. It should go alright with the corn bread, and shredded cheedar. (I hope!) I think I have a tub that will hold half so I'll check my freezer tonight after work and see if there is room. I may have to use freezer bags to make it fit.

Ya know, it's not that bad looking. I'll try it tongith when I get home. Gotta run to work. Thanks!!

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

I agree with Cat, freeze some of them for another meal. smile

I like to make a lot, so that I can freeze some and also Old Pine takes left overs to work. smile

HUGS4-1.gifHAVEAGOODDAY-1.gif

I tried some last night after work, the thought of eating this more than once a day for the rest of the week leaves me lukewarm. I did put chili powder in it but it's still pretty mellow tasting. Considering I wasn't exactly planning on making four hundred gallons of chili and I've never made it before, it could have been worse.

Hey Trish, what is bean herb??? Never heard of it.

It looks like it cost me a dollar a quart for ten quarts to make. Considering the expensive stuff in a store is $1.79 for 15 ounces, I feel good about that part. Not a total loss. smile

can the left overs!

Epazote

Epazote is traditional for Mexican cooking, adding a sweet, mild flavor of its own to each dish. Historically, it has been used to reduce the intestinal gas that occurs with a diet rich in beans. Many recipes call for epazote, and many people swear by it. Add 1 TB. to a 2-qt. pot of chili or bean soup, or simmer with beans before adding to soup or chili.

I'm googling Epazote, sounds like Jules is going to need a field of it!

Not sure what you would like to spend on a canner but I got mine (presto 23 qt) on Amazon for $69 including shipping. Just used it the other day for the first time, to can BEANS LOL

best of luck to you !

Suz, maybe you should have posted about your canner and canning beans a couple of days ago... could have saved Jules from having to eat beans for 7 days in a row! ROFL!!!

I found an on-line chart on beans. Most dry varieties:

1 cup dry beans plus water equals a 4 cup yield cooked

Least gas producing to most by bean variety:

Anasazi (least)

Garbanzo

baby limas

great northern

small white

pinto (most)

I'm not sure where the black and red color beans fall in the spectrum.

Hope this helps. I think the site was called "bean bible" or something similar. Sorry, I didn't save the link.

Freeze 'em in individual servings! That's what I'm eating for lunch right now - chili I cooked back in January!

Another gas reducing herb you can throw in your chili next time you're cooking it is borage. Either Carla Emery or Esther Dickey talk about that little trick. (Sorry. Can't remember who right now!)

DH once had black bean soup while eating out. Keyword *ONCE*

Not sure if it was the black beans or something else in the soup but years later, black beans are still off limits in my house for reasons you can imagine.

sick

1 cup dry beans plus water equals a 4 cup yield cooked

Lord have mercy!! I made two pounds dry!! *fainting*

What *was* I thinking???

The upside I guess is all the fiber we're getting. The adults are probably getting close to 50 grams a day. Heavens! My first batch of "Accidental Chili" is actually not that bad. I am keeping plenty of cornbread made, I made a pan yesterday and a pan today to keep all that chili company.

I promise I wont make that mistake again! rotfl!

I gotta run to the store for emergency beano; it seems the household has become rather musical.

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

The only thing I think black beans are good for are bean bags. smile

We tired them in a mixture and never again. They were the worst for making gas. frown

Jules, did you freeze or can any of the beans or chili?? You don't need to eat it all up in a few days. It makes great left overs for another meal in a hurry. smile

HUGS4-1.gifHAVEANICEDAYSUN.gif

Originally Posted By: Cat
Redneck jacuzzi - bathtub and bean supper

Hey we resemble that remark...remember mother to THREE boys and their dad.... DarleneSwoon

Jules make refried beans and you can have bean burritos. I agree with the others freeze them but in more manageable portions like a 2 cups per container.

Archived