MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Holy Smokes, I Didn't Realise!!

Originally Posted By: Snowmom
GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

The only thing I think black beans are good for are bean bags. smile

I LOVE black beans! I eat them on salad and sometimes squash them in an iron skilet wiht some garlic salt for black re-fried beans -I also always add one can to my chilli -so- send me all you black beans!

(let me add I have never cooked dry ones- I have always used canned -but I am goign to look for dry ones.)

Sis lived in Mexico for a long time. She says that where she was in Mexico, no one will admit to eating black beans, because they are the beans the "poor people" eat. (But they do because they grew up on them and get hungry for them, like "comfort food"! wink )

In Brazil, the bean of choice is the black bean, for Feijoada and everyday. So I love them. I just don't use them that often.

I would like to share what our family has used for YEARS that control that musical fruit... the beans. I have no idea how it works, we all just know that it DOES work...for us anyway. That would be applesauce! I usually have several cases of it stored because I store beans and because we just like it. We raised 8 kids and beans were very much a part of the diet. Years ago (about 40) someone told me about the applesauce and we have always had it on the table, with the beans, ever since. Now as the grandkids start their own families, I noticed they are doing the same thing. I have to chuckle a little because no one really ever mentions it, they just do it I guess because they were raised up serving applesauce with beans.

My husband likes to grind the black beans in the mill and make refried beans with them. He's really, really weird....he adds this sometimes to his breakfast cereal of steel cut oats!! (I do NOT do this, LOL.) Some of the black bean flour added to black bean soup makes it creamier of texture.

My parents refused to serve us beans growing up (except for the Boston Baked ones) because they both had to eat so many of them growing up and considered it "poor people" food. My mother is puzzled over my recent bean culinary explorations, LOL I've been printing and saving bean recipes for about a year and have one binder full of interesting bean recipes--so we can use and rotate our stores without getting bored.

We have found that if you eat enough fiber all the time, the beans are not as "tuneful" LOL So that's why the applesauce trick works, no doubt.

I like to use black beans in salsa, chili, soups, even coated with salad dressing. (Weird, I know)

I will definately remember the applesauce! smile

JCK88: WOW!! Hubby must have spectacularly low cholesterol levels.

Thanks for all the input, I love it!

• 5 weeks later...

Jules,

You poor thing, your eyes must have been HUGE!

Yes, I'm laughing, but only because I once did the same thing! smile

Well, just think of how much you've learned!

Hmm...I should go make some chili today... LOL!

Oh my gosh, I'm tellin ya we all suffered! After that lil experience, I bought ALL the large boxes of beano that Wally's had on the shelf. Can you imagine in an emergency menu of beans and rice for a week or so, how much gas a family of four can produce??

If beans are a part of anyone's preps, then gas masks should also be a part of those preps. yuk

Hey Crazy, ROTFL... YES my eyes were huge!! I had to pick my jaw off the floor when I removed the lid from my dutch oven pot.

jawdrop

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

You all have probably done this. When I soaked my great northern beans overnight and realized I had way too many, I put half of the already soaked beans in a baggie and froze them that way, no water or anything in the bag. It made them quicker to cook (obviously) and really easy to store in the freezer.

Archived