MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Just like mom use to make...

Domestic_Goddess

Someone at another forum had posted this thread, which I thought was interesting.

I hope you ladies will share some of your mom or dad's cooking stories.

Here is the thread I am referring to....

Just like mom use to make...

Ok so growing up one of your parents were probably really good at making something, just as much as they were equally bad at making something else. Now's your chance to heap your praises on Mom/ Dad for that really good dish....and/or give a little jab for the.... well.... not so good dish!

As for me...my mother was a pretty good cook. I thought she made "the best" oven roasted chicken, baked ham, Goulash, Milk Gravy (or) Hamburger Gravy (which we ate this over mashed potatoes) plus she made "the best" stuffing, potato salad, watermelon pickles, bread pudding, pies, home-baked breads, potato bread, potato rolls, and caramel nut rolls (which she actually made those rolls using yams, but no one ever suspected that yams was the main ingredient in the caramel nut rolls). But when it came to cooking a beef roast, and making hamburgers, they were always dried and over cooked. I actually think this his how my father liked them cooked, and since we were brought up not to ever complain about what was made, and to eat everything on our plates, I don't think our mother ever knew her roasts and burgers were dried out and over cooked. When it came to cooking liver, the only way my mother made it was...cooked with onions, but that to she seemed to over cook, so I always ate mine with a corn relish and lots of catsup. The only other thing my mother made which I really detested eating was...hamburgers which she sometimes added an egg and crushed saltine crakers to it, but I think she did this to "stretch the meal", so to speak. Again, thank heavens for catsup!

My mom excelled at kitchen sink goulash. Seems everything that was ever made for eatting would go into that goulash.

My daughter made goulash for the first time this week. Chopped up onions, rehydrated bell peppers, cooked hamburger, added in the spices and the canned whole tomatoes, and then cooked pasta.

It was the first time I have had goulash since my Mom made it for me when I was a teen. LOL My kids loved it, and it was ALL GONE.

My dad made the best spaghetti sauce--from cans of Pastene tomato paste and chicken broth as his secret ingredient instead of water to thin it down. I have his hand-written instructions for this recipe.

But..there was horrible dish he made that was called "Meat with the Olives" (Translated from the Italian) It had some kind of veal hocks in it and black olives and vinegar and I HATED it) I found out later it is considered some gourmet dish...but it is disgusting and makes the house smell really bad.

There wasn't much I really disliked as a kid. It was expected that you were to try at least 3 bites of everything.

After watching a teary trial between my sister, my mother, some brussel sprouts and the toilet (she refused to eat them, they got flushed, she got some more and this battle wore on and on), I quickly kept my mouth shut at what I didn't like.

In fact, it was only recently that my mom and I were talking over dinner ideas and she mentioned this "Dog Food Sandwiches" and I just about puked.

Well, they would take left-over roast (of course, the tougher cuts because that was all they could afford) and grind it up with the meat grinder and add mayo, relish, seasoning, etc.

No matter what, if it was served with twizzly toothpicks (you know those ones with plastic ruffles?) or a little olive or on fine china, I would have the WORST time getting it down. It was a combination of the smell, the taste, and of course the phrase 'dog food'. We had a dog and she wouldn't eat this...so that alone should have been a CLEAR indication.

There was also cabbage rolls. I think I disliked them because they always upset my stomach. And liver...thankfully she wouldn't cook it that often, but I'm told I ate it as a kid and then once I began to read and realized what the liver DID, that was the end of that.

Just about everything else was great! Loved her cookies, pies, cakes, casseroles, snacks. I don't have an absolute favorite. 99% of the time, everything was great.

Oh my, she was a really good cook. I loved her pies. She was known as "Pie Momma". She even had a special plaque someone had made for her kitchen that said that. She would bake all kinds of pies and give them away.

Her pimento cheese, banana pudding, bbq pork sandwiches with coleslaw, even hot dogs with "chili" was great. Chili is like Coney Island sauce, I guess. Not beans. Fried chicken, you name it. Most all of her food was awesome.

The only thing that wasn't the best was her spaghetti. It was too thin and watery. I like a richer tomato sauce. It was good, but not the best sauce I ever had.

Many years ago, before I was ever born they had a small cafe in NC. Momma said if things got slow she would put onions on the grill and open the doors. People would smell that and come in to eat.

Oh, and I remember her homemade donuts. She would mix up several flavors of glaze. We had lemon, chocolate, maple, lots of different flavors to put on the hot donuts.

We would tell her something was really good and she would always say "it's all in the wrist, it's all in the wrist ", LOL. She would just grin. I sure miss her !

My mom made an awesome spagetti sauce. Simmer on the stove all day and mmmm. She also made a to die for souffle. Light as a feather.

Her not so great meals were mostly soup. I got so sick of soup, but it did feed us and that was all we could afford a lot of. Also the whole grain cereal for breakfast. Nothing wrong with it I just did not like it.

My Mama was the best cook ever. I am the youngest of 6 and when we went to family reunions we took watch over Mamas dumplings and

and coconut cake. Those always went first LOL. I cant think of anything she cooked that wasn't good. Well maybe liver and onions smothered in gravy. That was Daddys favorite, thank goodness Mama didnt make me eat it. My dear Daddy, no one could cook grits (yummy)as good as his. He loved to make breakfast for us.

I miss those times...what wonderful memories!

Lasangna - made at Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Spaghetti - cooked all day

cranberry relish made with nuts and cranberry jelly -- oh so good!

My Dad is GREAT on the grill, and smoking things. He also makes a wonderful Calazone that he fries instead of bakes...oh man it is SO GOOD -- he learned to make it in Italy and I have tried local pizza eateries here that have friers to make it...no go.

Dad makes these potatos with herbs... oh man they are so good. Crisp on the outside with flavors of italian herbs and whatever else he wants on there, and steamy hot on the inside. Yum.

Originally Posted By: Madison
The one she made up in Georgia was good...

Was it made with Georgia chickens? wink LOL

Having all my brothers together last week, the conversation got around to food and Mum's cooking. We really had some chuckles. The memories - how the dining room window was always left open at meal times - then while Mum and Dad were in the kitchen and the boys were finishing what was on their plates, the tree outside the window got fed. Amazingly that tree even grew! Veges were boiled for at least half an hour, everything was overcooked. My mum is not a cook! Recently Dad has started to cook, some lovely dishes, he is doing ok! The boys blamed Mums cooking for their aversion to certain foods.

My Mother was a very good cook, but my Grandmother (Nanny) was the best ole country cook. Chicken and dumplings, biscuits homemade every morning, chicken and dressing, fried pies with dried fruit. I think it was because she used lard in her cooking.

Of course, they raised their own food, rendered their own lard, etc. That made it even better.

My mama makes the best country anything... LOL Milk gravy, fried chicken, sausage and biscuits, etc. Also, she makes a kick-bootie beef stroganoff! The only thing I remember actively DISliking that she cooked when I was a kid was polish sausage with sauerkraut. BLECH! I've hated the smell of saurkraut forever, since birth, I think, and I would be SO depressed when I would walk in the house after school and smell that stuff cooking. smile I'd go play outside to avoid the smell. Mama, bless her heart, didn't even try to make me eat it...but the rule of the house was that if you didn't want to eat dinner, you got a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Trust me, PB&J was like gourmet food to me on saurkraut nights! LOL

Archived