MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help! My husband planted turnips

Jori

Help! My husband planted turnips & I don't know what to do with them. In 6 years neither of us have ever consumed a turnip so I don't know what came over him. He planted a raised bed with them and they took off. What can I do with them? I'm sure I can use them in Veg. Soup but do I dehydrate them, freeze them, can them, set up a street corner stand?

Feel free to laugh because that's what I'm doing as I shake my head.

Jori

You can make them just like mashed potatoes, or peel, slice thin and munch... Im sure they can be peeled , sliced and dehydrated and I am sure others who are more used to eating turnips than me , will have alot more ideas.

Yep, I second the turnip greens. Stir-fried with a bit of olive oil and garlic, and served over steamed rice, yummm. . . .As for the turnips, I tried several recipes. None of them excited my family too much so I ended up feeding what was left to my friend's chickens. The chickens loved the actual turnips. Turnips do grow amazingly well with very little care so I'm a bit bummed my family didn't care for them! But, if you have animals, they would be easy fodder.

I love turnips as a substitue for mashed potatos

also try slicing the turnips thin very thin with a mandolin line a glass baking dish with a layer of them then smother with butter then Thyme (I prefer fresh sprigs but dried powder works too just go lighter ) then more turnips then more butter then more thyme over and over again until you fill the dish or run out of turnip slices then cover in foil and bake in an oven at 350 until everything is nice and tender and your fork slips right through them slice like a cake and serve mmmmmmm good.

Turnip greens!!!!!!!!!

For an easy low cal way to cook them, splash a little vinegar, salt and pepper in the pot with just enough water to cover...that's it. YUM! Don't overdo the vinegar...a small amt goes a long way.

Bonus! The vinegar helps to extract calcium and other goodies from the greens, so the 'pot liquor' is super rich with vitamins and minerals! Include a bit of it in the bowl with the greens.

Serve your turnip greens with crusty cornbread.

Also, try throwing a little sausage or a pig's foot in the water while cooking them.

I don't like turnips or turnip greens, but I grow them for the chickens.

yum turnips, but they have a strong flavor some do not like. I like them raw eaten like a radish. They are good boiled and mashed with butter like mashed potatoes. The greens are good sauted in bacon grease with a little water.

Nytehunter. That sounds so delish.. I am going to have to try it like that. edited to add any dish for collards can be used for turnips.

Oooo that does sound good, Nytehunter! DH loves turnips & greens. I kinda like the turnip but ....I guess I will try some of these ways for the greens. I'm quite sensitive to bitter tastes.

I have canned the greens [turned out very fine] and the turnips [turned out kinda less appealing than fresh but can do well in stews, etc. Haven't tried freeze [can't afford the freezer space] or dehydrate [but might this year if I ever get the durned things planted this year.

The main thing I REALLLLY appreciate about turnips is that they are prolific way up here where it's a challenge to grow dandelions. LOL And they are full of nutrition. So I have LOTS of turnip seed stored, JIC.

I've been thinking of mashing 2 parts potato, one part turnip, one-half part carrot and see what it tastes like. :shrug: Except that the purple taters + white turnip + orange carrot = an unappealing color. LOL

MtRider [mashed, boiled, fried, ...all with butter, of course.

**wondering if a strong-tasting sauce like spaghetti sauce might hide the flavor enough for a veggie casserole...**

**Cat makes a note for later testing...** 2.gif

Turnip cubes are one of the veg I dry for my soup mix.

I chop them about pea-sized. They usually dissolve into the broth, helping to thicken it.

We love them mashed with half turnips half carrots,(and butter, salt and pepper of course) it is a side dish always served at Thanksgiving Dinner.

(to remember how blessed we were one year a loooong time ago, when that is all we ate for many months and how we are soooo thankfull for all we have now.)

K_L

I am going to try that one Nytehunter, Yumm

Archived