MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I was wondering...

Darlene

Just came in from setting up my tent to make sure everything is okay. Of course Samson had to help... :rolleyes: I think I can get it up by myself a little quicker. :D Now I have to look for my B-B-Q fork and make sure it is sharp and ready. BOB is packed and ready, clothes laid out, directions printed off, cooler cleaned and ready, ice in the freezer for cooler, checklist printed out. I'm wondering if I need to get an extra card for the camera. Going over the test for those who don't know the password, I sure hope everyone is in good physical shape for it.

8 MORE DAYS!!!!!! :woohoo:

:wormie2:

John

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I forgot to add the newbies are sure gonna be in for a surprise when they try to enter the "gate". :whistling:

John

Exactly why I intend to explore the "back way" first... :whistling:

This time next week I will already be on the bus headed that way. After the 2 day bus trip I will already be shell shocked so don't try to skeer me with passwords, homeland security and night manuevers! :ph34r: Will probably be quite a sight,too! :wacko:

TWO DAYS on a bus? :wacko: I think Snapshotmiki should get the prize for the one putting out most effort to get there! :thumbs:

Christy.....did those international flight plummet in price yet???? :(

I'm JUST beginning to panic. Went to garden today, expecting most things would be nearly picked out and finishing up. Yikes. God has been surely BLESSING my garden. I STILL had more peas. Loaded the whole back seat of my car with the huge turnips [note: up here we can grow root things huge and still be solid and not pithy, etc] I haven't even started picking the normal size turnips. These babies are 6" across. The broccoli had me jumping up and down excited today. They grew so much in the past week and some are now EIGHT inches across and there is more out there! This is the most tender, sweet, wonderful broc! :bounce: It's going in the freezer...what won't last to eat fresh. I sat for hours and shelled peas yesterday. Filled an 8 shelf dehydrator. I have 2 bushels of spinach to wash...and wash....and wash....then wilt and dehydrate. Large beets are pulled and packed in damp sawdust but....the smaller ones have grown and will still need to come in before I leave.

We've had a very cold spring and summer but now this fall has been a LOT warmer [daytime] than usual....for so long. Frost but no snow yet. Whoa! Wonderful for the garden but..... HOW am I gonna get it all done in time? We surely will have snow and colder nites before I get back again. DH will have his hands full trying to do other things that I usually do around here....like the animals.

Well, I'm doing what I can do and ...... :shrug: But I think I'd better start packing. Sounds like Wormie is ready to hit the road already. That's how I like to pack too. Wayyyyy ahead of time.

MtRider [...thanking God for the blessing of harvest beyond my dreams this year....and the energy to keep putting the food up for the winter. :yum3: ]

Wow, I wish I had not been so busy this summer to even check the boards. A get together. How wonderful.

Darlene, I live near Greenville, SC. Would you have room for one more or for a day trip?

I realize most of you don't know me, but I'm a regular over on Frugal Squirrels, (ashygirl) although I've been so busy I've rarely made it there either this summer.

Thanks,

Susan

Susan, you're more than welcome to come...whether it be for a couple of days or a day trip, whichever works best for you.

Let me know if you do plan on coming for sure though!

Darlene:

I seem to have sitters for all my littles, but my 17 year old son may want to come with me if that is okay.

Thanks

Lisa in GA

Lisa, your son is more than welcome to come! I think Stephanie is bringing at least one of her boys and they are great kids so your son would enjoy them.

Sorry for the delay in answering...I've been without internet for a day and a half...I just got back online.

Also...

We need some specifics in regard to the shooting as far as what people would like to learn. I know that there are a couple of you that are new to firearms and would like to get educated and learn how to shoot and have a better idea what kind of firearm you'd be the most comfortable with.

Then there are others who know how to shoot, but do y'all have any idea what specifically you'd like to learn more about? I have several different firearms that we can shoot with but when everything falls apart, standing in front of a target just ain't going to cut it.

So, where are your weak areas? This is a great opportunity to take your self defense knowledge base a little deeper so take advantage of it.

Please don't be shy...there's no need to feel embarassed or anything like that. If you don't know what questions to ask specifically yet, perhaps when we all get together and start talking the questions will start to roll.

NIGHT MANEUVERS!!! :behindsofa:

John

:tapfoot: Does Mrs. Wormie know that you're so all-fired-up anxious to go running around in the dark with a bunch of over-caffeinated (mostly) females?????? :tapfoot:

scratchhead.gif Come to think of it, that's how we used to have fun as pre-teens... we'd play ball tag at the neighborhood church in the late evenings, hiding in the bushes from "it", half-scaring ourselves in the light and the shadows...

If you're still a kid at heart... carryonsmiley.gif

:24: :24: :24:

MtRider aims her paint ball gun at Wormie. GOTCHA! Thot we didn't see you hiding behind that couch, didn't ya?

As for Darlene's question.....um......sometimes you just know you don't know but ya don't know WHAT ya don't know. :curtsey: Does that help?

MtRider [...diving behind a different couch :behindsofa: ]

I sure hope that I am not gonna have to be in great physical fitness shape for this weekend. I mean I can milk a cow or goat, corral 10 children and run arfter escaping chickens, but i don't see myself running a mile.

I am going to need directions and what to bring. Do I need an airmattress or sleeping bag?

BTW I drove to Blue Ridge "twice" today, total of twelve hours in the car. That was not fun but I got a new 15 passenger van. At least it is new to me!

Lisa in GA

I sure hope that I am not gonna have to be in great physical fitness shape for this weekend. I mean I can milk a cow or goat, corral 10 children and run arfter escaping chickens, but i don't see myself running a mile.

I am going to need directions and what to bring. Do I need an airmattress or sleeping bag?

Ditto that. I'm driving from outside DC on Friday, so. . . all I know right now is northern GA, and I kinda doubt I can just cross the border, pull over, and ask someone "Hey, you know the way to Darlene's place?" :P

Likewise, although I'm in better shape than I used to be, that's a relative term. . .

Don't worry ladies.... we can all have a slumber party in Darlene's room while That Crazy Worm goes out on his night maneuvers. {Pssst! Meet ya there, OK...don't tell him! :P Bring Chocolate! }

As for sleeping bags and air mattress: if you're coming by car and can fit them in, it might be a good idea. I'm sure Darlene will pop on and answer it more directly tho. [Remember she's working on her kitchen to finish before we get there? ... :twister3: ]

I'm determined to get most things into my suitcase today. I'll lead Bible study on Wed morning and finish stuff the rest of that day. But I'll be getting up in the middle of that night to get to the airport EARLY Thursday. [we're in the boonies so it's a looong drive!] I hate getting no sleep.......

DH & I checked the garden today and decided that on Tuesday, I'll pull the rest of the beets, onions, and any broccolli heads that might begin to flower while I'm gone. Peas are done. Turnips and broc can wait through any frost we might have. Brussels sprouts need a few frosts but might or might not make it anyway - slow growth now!

Hmmm....my house might have to be a disaster zone... :rolleyes: But I keep running out of energy every afternoon! :0327::0327::shakinghead:

MtRider [....paring down my expectations -- AGAIN! :0327: ]

There will be a roll call for night maneuvers and NO ONE is exempt. This will be a time when we can hone our skills and where better than in the woods at night. It will make all of us better prepared for later in life and the skills we learn can not be bought anywhere. You will all thank me when this is over. I have been working with Darlene behind the scenes when she has the time to help plan this out. She is in total agreement with me on this and plans on taking the lead when we head out.

It won't be too bad on ya'll, here is how it will go down. We will ride out to a predetermined drop off point and start walking back. We will split up into groups of two and drop off of the road through the woods. Anyone who wants to stay on the road can do so but if you get caught then you have to start back at the beginning. Darlene has it set up with some of her neighbors that she can trust to patrol the roads looking for cheaters. We will only go out about 3 miles so as to not make it hard for anyone.

We will learn to navigate with a compass and dead reckoning, travel over unknown terrain while avoiding people, what to bring or not while traveling at night, how to rely on others, things to avoid in the woods, different sounds the animals make and how to identify an animal by it's sound.

See, simple and easy. See everyone at roll call.

John

Sounds like something that would have been great fun...with legs....and NOT in snake country. :0327:

{Pssst....ok, gals. New meeting place: UNDER Darlene's bed...or maybe in her closet? We'll have a secret code word ourselves! :P PS: STILL bring the chocolate! }

MtRider [....I'm borrowing a horse! ]

Although John this does sound like fun (especially for my Marine son) my big problem is I have no night vision. I can't see well in low light (and that is putting it mildly). DH's reaction was "Oh s*it!". He thinks it's a great idea, but not sure if his knees will let him to do it. Doctor hasn't decided if he needs knee replacement yet, and he has to wear a brace right now. As I tell our family doctor, you have to be strong to grow old - it's not for sissies. See you Friday!

Archived