MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I was wondering...

Darlene

DH asked off for Friday. Hoping he's able to come with me. Will try and get autoharp tuned up and bring it. I can't play it all that well but maybe someone else can. Stephanie, T is staying home too since that weekend is football homecoming. As well he can make sure chickens and pets taken care of. Darlene, let me know if there is anything else we need to bring. Woohoo!! Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Darlene flatters me, but I guess it's like anything else - it seems like magic until you've been doing it a while and then its just another skill-set.

As I will be flying, I'm not going to be taking anything gun related with me.

I can teach you just about anything on the mechanical aspect of firearms

I can tell you my "philosophy" on gun handling, with the understanding that there are plenty of equally valid different philosophies.

I can bring a novice shooter to a basic level of competence.

I can explore with a competent shooter some different techniques and ideas that might be "outside the box" and worthy of experimenting.

I cannot do much for the expert shooter as I lack the experience to discern what the expert can do to enter the realm of master (I am not a long-range high-power competitor). That's why I continue to take classes and practice.

So within the limitations, of where you are and where you want to be, time, and my own skill set, let me know what y'all reasonably expect to do so I can try to piece together a tentative lesson plan/schedule and equipment list.

I suspect, that the most we can accomplish in the short time will be familiarization and basic concepts for the novice and some tips for the competent.

Equipment will be modest - furring strips for target frames, cardboard boxes for the backing and paper plates for the targets. Paper grocery bags can also be cut into silhouette targets.

I have very little experience with guns. My dh passed away recently and a few of his guns remain here, but I think they are really too big for me to shoot comfortably. I am pretty sure there is a 10 gage, a 410 and what some of my older boys called a roll back chamber rifle. Some of my younger boys (8 and 10) have pellet guns for squirrels.

I want something I can handle easily, that I can use for stray animals or situations where I need to protect my property. I want to learn how to choose the right gun for me, take care of it and how to choose ammo. :unsure:

Thank you in advance,

Lisa in GA

I figured out I'd sent our large luggage to the storage unit. So I stopped there today to pick it up. :( How am I gonna fit my STUFF in one suitcase???? :o And only 50 lbs allowed now. [cuz I surey ain't riding First Class :shakinghead: ]

{sigh}

MtRider [grumbling...."y'all know I like my STUFF!" ]

I have very little experience with guns. My dh passed away recently and a few of his guns remain here, but I think they are really too big for me to shoot comfortably. I am pretty sure there is a 10 gage, a 410 and what some of my older boys called a roll back chamber rifle. Some of my younger boys (8 and 10) have pellet guns for squirrels.

I want something I can handle easily, that I can use for stray animals or situations where I need to protect my property. I want to learn how to choose the right gun for me, take care of it and how to choose ammo. :unsure:

Thank you in advance,

Lisa in GA

Here is a hint for you..................

Take some photo's of all the guns you have and get them into the hands of Gunplumber while he is at Darlenes. He can tell you what you have and what value there is in them - To keep or trade in for something you can handle.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Aw sugar! Just checked on airline tickets again in the hope they went down. No such luck.

:angry:

Well, got word today that the bank will not be doing repairs on the house, which means going back and starting all over again. I was given a chance to go in with a construction loan, but as the property was at the upper end of my budget to begin with, my answer was a swift "No." (now, if I had known of an hidden oil well under the property, or a few gold veins, that would be a whole 'nother matter. But as I don't. . .)

So, that's completely off the table conflict-wise. I'm looking at another property tomorrow, and I'll be going from there.

I'm a bit diappointed, but at least I'm getting my earnest money. And, since there's no pressures for me to move (currently with parents), I can take the time to get a really solid property.

And, maybe I'll hit MegaMillions or Powerball in the meantime, which would make property shopping a bit easier, in some respects. . . (I know, I know, not gonna happen. It wouls sure be nice though. . . :P )

Awww.... ((((Bear)))) ((((Christy))))) I wish you two were able to come tooooooo! :(

Zophiel....hmmm, sounds like that is not gonna be THE house then, huh? Praying that the right one will be just around the corner after you get back from our gathering! :lol:

Sheeesh, I can't get the bedroom floor clear enough to set the suitcase in there. Too busy racing trying to process all the garden veggies. Clean, slice, blanch, and dehydrate turnips [makes what looks like potato chips]. I've barely started on the turnip row. :0327: Lotsa turnip chips! Same process for the "one large bowl full" of green beans that the early HARD frost allowed to grow. :unsure:

Peas tho.... I got peas. When I'm too tired to be on my feet any longer, I'm either here or shelling peas for dehydrating. Lotsa peas. Beets are beginning to go into the damp sawdust for a winter in my garage. The baby greens from them will be in our salad. The bigger leaves will be happily consumed by DH. [a bit BITTER for my taste]

Spinach...if I dehydrated all the hours of the day, I'd never finish harvesting all the spinach that volunteered to grow this year. A few carrots and onions don't matter. They are yummy fresh for supper but not enough to save any.

The five beds of potatoes can wait until I return from Georgia. Surely the ground will not freeze solid by then. But the other veggies might run into colder weather than they'll tolerate. So I'm racing the clock...and the calendar. Racing against the next hard frost to get everthing that grew into a state to hold .....at least until I get back.

Fall is ALWAYS a dead run to put away things; prepare things for the cold, long winter.

Buy a load of hay.

Clean out duck, goat, and horse barns well before winter.

Get water bottles in the vehicles at HALF-FULL so they don't burst when frozen.

Put things under shelter.

Move the milking stand into the garage.....unless goat loses her milk during the week I'm gone [one 2-yr-old twin still nurses so she'll be comfortable :rolleyes: ].

Painting sheds happen during our long rainy summer. :(

I HAAAVE to vacuum our furnace ducts to see if we can then turn the furnace on....without the smoke detectors going off. :o

HAVE to plant the garlic beds....and I JUST got them harvested [late].

Write our two Compassion sponser kids ...who have Nov birthdays and the mail is that slow!

Fix the dragging screen door....tho we'll likely take the dumb thing off for winter so that necessity is fading.

Find out if I'm paying $25 for my one checked bag on the airline?????? And if they have all the disability things I'll need to fly without INCIDENT!

Ahem....is anyone else in a dead-run-PANIC in the next couple of weeks?

MtRider :0327:

Just another sunny day in Paradise here, Mtn. Rider! :D Seriously, I can't pack til the day before I leave with our space issues. I am interested in learning to make cheeses and am wondering if anyone else is. Also wonder if anyone knows how to do this and is equipment needed (besides a goat)?

Darlene did tell ya'll about the night maneuvers didn't she?

:wormie2:

John

:o Night maneuvers??? :0327:

**Writes "buy trip wire" on list...** writing.gif

Archived