local Animal Shelter

Tabby Picture

Bashful is her name.

Tabby, Tortoiseshell [Mix]

Size: Medium

Sex: Female

Pet ID: 1888

Notes:

"What a sweet little girl. Bashful is a prim and proper lady who follows the etiquette in her life. She enjoys being petted and will purr ever so quietly. Bashful loves everyone and will make a great companion. Is that someone you?

More about Bashful

Pet ID: **** • Spayed/Neutered • Up-to-date with routine shots • House trained

She would stay inside the home here. I will get her a cat harness and lead line for emergency walking and have transport cages already for emergencies and travel.

Or this one, the blue grey one, Bluebell. Both seem sweet in disposition and would like quiet homes.

I am definitely needing something that wants to interact some and maybe even cuddle some, living and breathing and FURRY as part of my life.

OK NO PHOTOS WILL UPLOAD. Please delete the other two postings on same title. Thanks. Trying to navigate is very difficult due to these technical difficulties! :americanflag:

Indoor cats are the BEST!

and female are better then a male.

You will be spending a lot less at the vet as indoor cats don't come home with all kinds of thinks they caught outside! adn I don't mean mice. LOL

All my cats over the years have been indoor and they live a long happy life.

Train them when they are young to stay off things and sit by the door when you leave.

Teach them what they can scratch (give them a place) and what they can NOT scratch, They are CATS they NEED that.

Don't feed them table food (OK a bit now and then- LOL).

Lots of kitty toys to keep them busy and awindow so they can watch the birds and the DOGS!

enjoy your new 'friend'.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Going to see if I can post the photo of Bashful and Bluebell, two young female cats that seem suitable for me. Yes, indoor. Not a problem, know about training and know their nutrition needs. :rolleyes:post-3311-022430100 1303662231_thumb.png( This is Bluebell my second choice if its still there and bashful is not.

Ok , second cat is Bashful , I Like her description and her look of alertness in the photo, she seems curious and intelligent , like she would love to play!

post-3311-009274500 1303662276_thumb.png

We adopted a cat 3 years ago,then a month later our 15 year old dog died,(still haven't found another dog) then a month later we adopted another cat from the animal shelter.Having 2 has been the best thing,they play together and are company for each other,but their personalitys are totaly different.They are indoor pets.Could you possibly adopt both kittens?

Indoor is the only way in our wild lands up here. [i did have a feral/tamed Maine Coon that lasted many years but...eventually... :cry: ] My current cat is completely indoor. Good idea to train cats to leash/harness for emergencies. I was ever so glad of it while on 3 wk EVAC!

Both of them look to be cuties. Let us know what happens, Arby. Sorry your other kitty didn't come home.

MtRider [cat person...dog person...horse person...donkey person [sOME days I'm a donkey person.... :rolleyes: ]

I was able to get to the shelter and I saw Bluebell, and then a cat that looks alot like Bashful but the name was different. Bluebell was very reserved if not quite shy and actually hid, while the other cat was so glad to see me and she wanted so bad to nuzzle up and get some attention. Maybe That was Bashful but the name said Macy on the card, so I put in the application for her. She seemed like such a good fit and surely sure of herself and people in good ways, so I think we would be good company. Maybe it was Bashful. Well if they accept my application, I should be able to bring her home next week,maybe on Tuesday or Wednesday Comparing the picture it may well be her, they just mixed up the names? She seemed a real sweety and wanted to have fun and very eager but in a sweet loving way. Very healthy looking too. So just asking a small prayer if anyone would like to. I think we belong with each other, we would be good company. If I owned my own home it would be no problem to adopt two, but am not in a position to do so and if for some reason Smokey is surviving and shows up in a couple months wanting in again, that would be ok probably but not to get two from the shelter and then he shows up too! That would be too much. I don't want to upset the landlady, lol and really this place is a bit crowded these days.

One cat is fine.

Well, they "should" accept your application! Sometimes I think shelter people are overly cautious. I would think they'd have been thrilled to put her in your arms right away and send her to a loving home. If they act stupid about it, can you find one on craig's list or something? I know you don't have a way to go many places, but when I've wanted an animal, I nearly always can get the other person to bring it to me. I usually pay their gas, which I don't mind at all. Some people won't accept gas money, but I always offer.

I will consider alternatives CGA if that doesnt work out. Really the only problem and it may just take a few days longer is that the land lady told me that afternoon that she would be out of town for 4 days, so they may not be able to reach her til Tuesday next week anyway. I found that out AFTER I went to the shelter. I wanted to let her know I had applied.

I have friend who was giving away kittens a while back last year and my neighbor got one but its such a needy hyper cat I didn't want to chance that lot of kittens. Genetically they are hyper as all get out and I often take care of it when he has to go to his family's place to visit, so I am not willing to take any cat from just anybody.

This one at the shelter, we just connected, really well, in an instant.

And yes I think it can seem ridiculous doing an app and waiting that long. But we have had several local situations where people are getting zapped for too many animals and such and the neglect that results. I put Astri and my friends Bobby and Lily down. They are animal lovers and they know I really miss my rather ornery cat Smokey. [Pretty sure he was coyote food or something the last time he went out].

Astri will talk them into it if they talk to her. She knows me well and Bobby and Lily are my buds, good folks, they have a few cats and take wonderful care of them. Astri is into wolves and dogs mostly but shes known me for years now and will do her best to advocate for me. And this one should be ok as an inside cat and it was put on there that she needed to be the only pet so that works out. I can work with assuring a cat and getting them to respond better, Smokey took alot of work actually to develop trust and maybe later if I go to TN if G and I work out we can introduce her to new pups/ dogs and such and settle her on his acreage and household he is working to gain now. But its too wild outside my door here for sure, so she will stay inside.

I connect well with horses and wolves too, lol.. So I think this cat in particular would be a real boon, for both of us. Its sweetness and instant trust is a big factor too, seemed very loving. And I admit I really need that myself being alone here. Smokey was rather gruff and taciturn and could be exasperating, lol. I am ready for a different kind of cat I think. Gotta miss him in his own right though. Such a character. She also looks like she is probably more playful and sure wanted to get out of that cage and come home with someone who really would like her to be with! I will try and set up a cat kingdom in here for her this summer if I can. I bet she would like that. Her own refuge and climbing places.

right now I am working on reorganizing my place some but there will be room for that eventually. I am going slowly, its alot of work on my shoulders, one has a torn rotator cuff so I am trying to do things a little at a time to not compound things. Probably surgery in June or July on it. I don't know what the recovery time will be and gentle rehab because the fibro has also tightened up the upper arm muscles and tendons as well since it doesn't have full movement as it heals. Plus, fatigue and such.

If I have to find a cat in a different way I will, but I hope we get to be together. She seems like a gem, as far as cats go. :rolleyes:

I hope this works out for you. I TOTALLY understand about the instant connection thing. My Sampson came from a shelter too. I wasn't planning on getting a cat but at the time I was a juvenile probation officer and I had a child doing her community service at the shelter. I'd go every week to check on her and Sampson was there every time I went. He'd put his paw thru the bars and talk to me. We had a connection too. After 4 weeks of this, my probationer told me they were planning on "clearing out some cages" to make room for more animals coming in. I knew what that meant. She said Sampson was one of the ones scheduled to be put down the next day. When I left the shelter I had a very large and extremely grateful cat with me.

I've had 2 other cats and a dog and I've loved them all dearly, but I have a special bond with Sampson. He's my "soul pet" if there is such a thing. 16 years later we are still together. :wub:

Thankyou, ladies. I did have to wait til next week anyway because I needed to get paid so I could pay the fee. But I have everything ready at home as I had plenty of new litter and two huge bags of food and canned food, hoping she will be ok with it, lol. And I DO think it actually is Bashful but they had the wrong name on the card that wasn't Bluebell's. They were in the same cage so I got to compare. She just wanted so badly to love on my fingers and perked right up in a very friendly way and nuzzled them, like 'How about we scram and go cuddle at home right now! "

I kind of glanced around and all the other cats and there were a bunch, perhaps just brought down from Plattsburgh as someone just abandoned about 27 cats, all in brand new cages, and some of them looked like they had been having a harder time, so considering I knew bout that and we really were not there very long I filled out the application and talked to the workers there. I would have loved to spend a quiet hour there with them, you know, but it was on the van ride home and everyone did need to get home reasonably soon.

It would be so nice. Yes I need a soul buddy cat, that's for sure.

Most of the other cats I could see were mostly black cats too. It's hard for me to see that dark a cat on my blue rug at night time but this cat has enough light markings that I should spot her quicker than a dark cat.

She was like a magnet. I hope I do get her. We would be good company for one another.

Well I think I am off to bed and hope to dream of Bashful coming home with me soon. Thanks for the encouraging words, it may seem so simple to some, just wanting a cat, but right now it would do me alot of good and obviously give this cat a home like it needs and love it needs. I can't take them all home but maybe later G and I can do more for some others and a dog or two over time once things work out , if they do. ( thats going well so far :) )

ah thanks, Annarchy. How are you doing this week?

Well today I called the animal shelter and we discussed things. They have been inundated and I was in Astri's office and she was one of my referrals and in fact advocates a lot for us. Shes been an awesome friend too, so she talked to them and she knows my landlady and she knew we were allowed cats here. I think my landlady is now on her four day trip. but the shelter said only because they were still busy today catching up on stuff ( that place is loaded with cats right now) that they needed me to come in tomorrow so about lunch time I will get a ride down there and I can do paperwork and be ready to go, and maybe visit with a number of the cats and dogs there while we wait to get picked up to go home for the day. Astri also knows my landlady and she knew there was no problem so she helped convince them it would be ok.

It ends up they really like Bashful and the cat I had chosen actually was Macy, they look alot alike but Macy is bigger, a little more white on her face but the markings were so similar it was confusing to me. Macy is definitely a sweety.

LOL< the lady at the shelter says to me will it bother me if the cat is shy at first in my home and maybe hides for a while? I said of course not. I understand its A new situation, A new owner. I am a master of patience with cats and dogs who are new to me. I learned that a long time ago. I figure she will explore and figure out where everything is and I will set up her food and water and brand new litter and pan and she can roam or hide til she feels comfortable and gets used to it here and just see how it goes.

I figure she may not like being cooped up in the carrier probably and am more than happy to just let her take her time once she is inside my place. Of course she will need time to relax. No problem. This was just something I automatically do pretty much, let them come to me when they are ready, at least with cats thats easier to do I guess. Seems to work with dogs , cats, goats, horses, donkeys.... wolves, chimps. :grinning-smiley-044:

:darlenedance:

Well I did get to bring her home. Evidently most of her life if not all has been at the shelter for several months. So she was scared riding in the carrier on my lap, not used to being moved around that way, so she was pretty frightened. It's been a long day for her cause we got to pick her up but had to stay a couple more hours at mha and she was settled in Astri's office and was sure looking around in askance, but calmed quite abit, but another ride then a whole new place with stuff in it shes not been around, well..... shes hiding under the bed, its tall enough on its frame that she can stand up fully and walk around .... :grinning-smiley-044: I did show her where her litter box and food and water are so she knows they are out in the other room when she feels like coming out.

I have four days to myself though so hopefully she will acclimate and bond with me some. She needs to settle, first, that was scary for her I think.

I have had some busy days and its nice to be able to sit still! I don't blame her a bit!

I had to laugh, when I walked into the shelter just after noontime when they open, there is this one very friendly big cat that is white and black spotted and he's on the desk, waiting for people to walk in and just slides right up on ya and nuzzles like crazy, little love fest, and loves being scratched and petted. I had a hard time just signing the papers and collecting the shot records cause he wouldn't stop! I told them I wondered how they got any paper work done, lol. One handed, while petting him and having him glued to me, I signed the paperwork. His name is Louie, and he's really cute and adores people I guess! :laughkick:

At about 8 pm tonight she came out and started exploring but darts under my chair from living room to bedroom, lays down so she can keep an eye on me here , plays a bit, gets up and darts under and explores some more. She likes her fish toy, lol. .... and a pair of socks I took off earlier???? :grinning-smiley-044:

So, she's making progress. She also likes it if you just talk in a normal tone to her, not all sweet like. Ok, going to pick up my socks now..... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Stealing socks already, that's great.

Frank, my ferret, takes our socks if he can capture them before we put them up, then, he will try to eat them! :shakinghead: We call him Frankenstein when he does things like that. MIL calls him Frankiepoo. DH calls him Frank-n-beans.

I hope you are as blessed by your kitty as much as we are with our ball of fur.

Congratulations on your new kitty friend.

My kittys love tin foil scrunched up into a tight ball, they wii batt them around the house, My youngest kitty carries his upstairs then batts it back down and races after it.

Archived