MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What do you like to have for breakfast?

We usually have breakfast burritos. I cook up a weeks worth of filling (sausage, scrambled eggs, hash browns) and make a weeks worth of fresh pico de gallo---all on Monday. When I get up to feed DH and dogs at 5am, all I have to do is heat filling and corn tortillas--not for the dogs. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

My breakfast food of choice----I make up my special oatmeal blend. Oats, flax, cinn, nutmeg, and some dried friuit. Every morning I make up a mug of it. I love it. The mix varies as I have other fruits or nuts available. It's also very economical. Packaged oatmeal has too many "other" things in it. when I want to jazz it up--I put 2T of orange marmelade in it.

I'm an oatmeal girl, too! I will ocassionally skip breakfast and do a brunch instead. Then I will eat some of the more traditional breakfast foods like waffles, omelets, turkey bacon or sausage , fruit, etc... Then I'm so full, I don't need lunch!

Every morning DH and I have cooked cereal--rye and barley flakes-- with fruit. To my 1 1/2 cups cereal, I add seasonal fresh fruit. Right now I'm having 1 apple diced; then I add about 1/4 cup each of home canned nectarines and blueberries, sometimes home canned pears. Then I add about 1/4 cup walnuts or 2 teaspoons of sesame tahini jor sometimes both. Then I moisten it up with about 1/2 cup of fruit juice, usually home canned apple or pear juice. I LOVE my breakfast. We've been eating this for many years and neither of us have ever gotten tired of it. Other fresh fruit options we like are melon, seedless grapes, strawberries, blueberries, nectarines, pears, mango, banana, pineapple.

I love breakfast! It's usually my biggest meal of the day. My favorite is an eggbeater omelet and a high fiber muffin or whole wheat toast with sugar free jam. If I'm in a hurry, I eat 2 whole wheat Eggos with peanut butter, sugar free jelly and sliced banana. I too am an oatmeal lover. post-7458-058836700 1329453839_thumb.jpg

post-7458-058404100 1329455627_thumb.jpg

It all sounds wonderful and easy and delicious. I prefer to cook my own oatmeal and add things. Great idea with the fruit.

( yes instant packet oatmeal, although convenient has alot junk in it too that is no good for our bodies and mind and health in the long run if not immediately, lol).

you all gave me some great ideas and the breakfast burritos are a good hearty one for if I were to be really active that day or on a Sunday.

I also am like that TMC, often not eating breakfast right away. but it is wiser if i do eat breakfast. It just isn't comfortable to do that so fast anymore, I would rather enjoy a cup of coffee for a while first? I am getting better about it and it is improving some of the things that were affected by only drinking a cup of coffee without breakfast!

It all sounds good and you gave me great simple ideas to help me add more fruit to my diet,more actively. I also like unsweetened applesauce anytime, cinnamon in it.

WHICH ONE? :shrug:

I have a small breakfest when when I get up at 4 am like toast (home-made bread) w/peanutbutter or oatmeal w/maple syrup and walnuts or dried apples (homemade of cause) or leftovers from the icebox? and coffee - fresh brew

IF I am up really early I might just have a bowl of mixed cereal w/banana ( I like to mix Lori's sugar cereal with some ground oats and '7 grain cereal' and some dried apples and whatever else is on the cereal shelf?)

then around 6 -7 am I will have the BIG breakfest that is always 3 eggs, fried potatoes with onions, some kind of meat (ham, bacon or sausage) toast, with OJ and coffee.

Now IF we are heading out I have to make enough for 2 so it might be this or Pancakes w/ sausages, or western omlets with toast.

Now SEE what you did! I have to go and make that bowl of mixed cereal now!!!!!! (and it is 2 am) :sHa_sarcasticlol:

but we are out of fresh goats milk so it will have to be store-bought for today. :gaah:

:AmishMichael2: (only 31 more days and I can change hats!!!!!!)

one thing i did this week but I munch on these for a bread serving anytime I want bread, whole wheat muffins with black berries and apple chunks. they turned out sooooo good. They did have a good bit of honey in them this time. That also may have changed the overall affect. I was putting peanut butter on halves and eating that, lol.

I do have six and nine grain cereal too, I really do need to mix up some granola. That would be a good way to use up the mixed nuts that need to be cracked and eaten anyhow.

95% of these you all posted are good basic foods for diabetics although maybe not quite the quantities. I cannot eat a whole big plate at this point either but I scale it down and that meets the needs . I am also not out there totin and digging and working bodily at this point too, so I scale things back. But it all sounds really wonderful.

I like eggs and omellettes or scrambled , eggbeaters or just whites works good , occasionally whole eggs. They are now selling some lovely organic raised eggs and they are large and pretty good!

Sometimes I enjoy the eggs, mostly its whole wheat, grain or oatmeal based. Fruit, peanut butter , some good jam or preserves.

Since it is only me here I often have leftovers and I love cold roast beef sliced if its available. Maybe that sounds strange but it gives me energy for a long period if I add a bit of protein to the oatmeal and such. Even a piece of cold chicken. Well on its own plate, but for the meal.

I am trying to work more fruit in. This may end up just a small glass of juice though , but the diced up fruit sounds really good in the oatmeal.

WHICH ONE? :shrug:

I have a small breakfest when when I get up at 4 am like toast (home-made bread) w/peanutbutter or oatmeal w/maple syrup and walnuts or dried apples (homemade of cause) or leftovers from the icebox? and coffee - fresh brew

IF I am up really early I might just have a bowl of mixed cereal w/banana ( I like to mix Lori's sugar cereal with some ground oats and '7 grain cereal' and some dried apples and whatever else is on the cereal shelf?)

then around 6 -7 am I will have the BIG breakfest that is always 3 eggs, fried potatoes with onions, some kind of meat (ham, bacon or sausage) toast, with OJ and coffee.

Now IF we are heading out I have to make enough for 2 so it might be this or Pancakes w/ sausages, or western omlets with toast.

Now SEE what you did! I have to go and make that bowl of mixed cereal now!!!!!! (and it is 2 am) :sHa_sarcasticlol:

but we are out of fresh goats milk so it will have to be store-bought for today. :gaah:

:AmishMichael2: (only 31 more days and I can change hats!!!!!!)

I am back………

Change of plans – I went into the refrigerator to get the milk and saw a bag of fresh broccoli so I steamed that with butter and lemon juice and ate that instead of the cereal ( much better). Now off to read a bit and then back up to bed for a nap.

Good night!

:AmishMichael2:

2 Eggs... boiled 6 minutes, white done with loose yoke, or fried over easy. (Frank, the ferret, gets a teaspoon or two of the yoke.) With a piece of plain toast. My Grandmother was diabetic, she would add a cup of dried milk with her breakfast.

Or, Oatmeal, plain or with honey, or blueberries, or butter-n-salt, or just butter/margarine, or with milk, or with milk-n-cinnamon, or... well... you get the picture.

But, I am not regular with breakfast. Some days, it is nothing until evening dinner, other days, it is left overs at lunch time.

Yesterday was 2 eggs over easy, (Frank got his tsp.) a cup of milk, a tangerine and a mini pumpkin muffin.

BREAKFAST FRIED RICE

Take last nights leftover rice, now long cold, at least 1 cup per person. Keep it handy while you fry up a little bacon if you have it and chop up some onions and whatever leftover veggies you have in the refrigerator. Once the bacon is fried, save the fat in the pan and crumble the bacon into bits. Mix the bacon and chopped vegetables into the rice. Beat up however many eggs you feel like (I do at least one per person) and mix with the rice and veggies.

Pour the whole shooting match into the skillet with the hot bacon fat and stir fry until the mixture dries up like fried rice. Season to taste (soy sauce, worcestershire are good, but salt and pepper will do too) and eat.

A different breakfast fare.

SKILLET SCRAMBLE (for four hearty eaters)

6 - 8 cups potatoes, either diced fresh, or reconstituted hash browns

thinly slice onions, at least one

cut up leftover meats cut fine

any other vegetables you might want - green pepper dices and mushrooms are tasty

2 eggs per person

a little cheese is optional

Cooking fat for the skillet

Heat the heavy skillet over med heat with some fat in it. Mix the other ingredients except the cheese, and when the skillet is nicely hot, pour it into the skillet and spread it out to cover the bottom. Reduce the heat to medium-low and put a cover on the skillet. If you used raw potatoes, leave to cook about 15 minutes, if reconstituted hash browns, 10 minutes should brown them up. Cut the potato cake into 1/4ths, and turn the pieces over. Sometimes they will stay together, sometimes not. No matter. Re-cover and brown the other side. You can turn the heat up a bit to speed things up as the potatoes should have cooked through in the first cook time.

When browned to suit, divie onto plates and top with cheese if you like it that way. Serve with catsup and whatever else you might want to add - I often make it without cut up meat, and serve with sausage patties on the side. You can also make without eggs, and break eggs on top for a fancier presentation, but we aren't that fancy at our house.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have ended up the de-facto breakfast chef, as I get up earlier than my roomate. Here are our favorites:

EGG MAC-MUFFINS (much cheaper and larger than the drive thru's)

I cook these on a griddle but a skillet would do, it would just take a little longer due to less room. I make 4 at a time.

english muffins, 1 per sandwich

egg, 1 per sandwich

sausage patties, 1 per person. I use Tennessee pride, they have a very mild one that does not kick up my roomates ulcer

1 slice of cheese per sandwich

oleo or butter, whatever you spread on bread.

1. Heat grill to med high. Medium if you forgot to thaw out the sausage patties. Cook frozen ones on med until done, cook thawed ones on med high. Remove to paper towels or brown

paper to drain. Be sure to flip them to get as much grease as possible out if you are sensitive to it.

2. Wipe off the griddle with paper towels. Now cook eggs, but break the yolks so they cook through and are flat (works better in the sandwich). When done, set aside.

3. Butter the muffins on the insides, both top and bottom and warm them on the grill. I like mine grilled a little brown, but you are looking to soften them, so it is not necessary

to get them brown, just flexible.

4. Now, while the muffins and all are still hot, assemble layers as follows:

muffin bottom

1/3 slice cheese

egg

1/3 slice cheese

sausage patty

1/3 slice cheese

muffin top

The cheese acts like a glue to help hold these together, as pieces tend to slip around while eating otherwise. However if you do not eat cheese, omit. These are about 1/3 larger than the McD and much cheaper. When we crave a breakfast sandwich (at least once a week), these work for us. We plan on trying with Canadian Bacon, too.

PANCAKES LIKE I-HOP'S (Bisquick can't compare!! These are ever so much more tender and delicious, and run about $1.20 a dozen so they are cheap, too.)

1 cup all purpose flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 heaping teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon soda

dash or two of nutmeg (the secret ingredient)

Combine and mix well. Start preheating your skillet/griddle/cast iron spider/whatever. Set dry ingredients aside; in a separate large bowl, combine:

1 cup milk

1/4 cup vegetable oil (or you can use melted fat if no oil)

1 egg

Whisk these very well. Then gradually whisk in the dry ingredients (about 1/3 at a time works for me) until well mixed but not over beaten (ie, no dry spots in the batter but still lumpy).

Using a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop, or a 1/4 c measuring cup, pour 1/4 cup at a time onto the griddle (recipe says ungreased griddle, but I like a little fat spray). These cook fast, so when the edges appear dry and the bubbles break and remain open holes, flip them over and cook the other side about the same time. They should be pale brown.

I made these the other day and drove my roomate nuts trying to figure out the secret ingredient. They were superb, even with 'just' butter. I used leftovers on a couple egg-mc-muffins today to make homemade pancake-mc-muffins and they were good, too.

HASH BROWNS FROM RAW POTATOES (otherwise known as "I forgot/could not afford to buy ready-made hash browns')The trick to these is to slice thin and take your time to cook them all the way thru without burning. Still they take only 30 min and taste wonderful. Cheap, too.

1 potato per person (at least)

melted fat, oil, or butter/margarine to grease the skillet

1. Peel and slice the potatoes. Cut lengthwise into 1/4ths, then slice each 1/4 into no wider than 1/4 inch slices. Some like them thinner, some thicker. Suit yourself. Thinner cooks a little faster. Unpeeled is OK with me, but some don't like peels, so again, suit your diners.

2. When all the potatoes are cut, salt lightly, and heat up the skillet with a little fat in it. Heat it on medium to medium-high. High is a no-no, they won't cook thru.

3. Spread the potatoes out to cover the entire skillet bottom. Let them cook slowly, about 20 minutes. That is the key to working from fresh potatoes - taking your time.

4. After 20 min, see if they are browned on bottom. If so, divide the mass in 1/4ths and turn each quarter over (easier than trying to turn all at once - these don't stick together anyway.) Cook 10 more minutes to brown the bottom (you can turn the heat up a little here, too, as they are mostly cooked thru).

Plate them up and serve. I like mine mixed into some scrambled eggs with diced ham or crumbled bacon to make a 'breakfast skillet'; they are also good served separately, or with some chopped onions and/or diced sweet peppers(cooked along with the potatoes) as a dinner side dish.

We also like egg burritos, but are working on the 'perfected' clone type. I will post it when we hit on what we feel is a 'keeper'.

Archived