MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

today we are battening down hatches.  tomorrow we will do more of the same until we tart getting prolonged rain & wind courtesy of the hurricane.  We have all the tools & stuff we need, just pre-positioning emergency items and securing ;things that could leave suddenly in 90 mph breezes.  Tomorrow I go to PT  again, thinking we will have to discontinue it after the 30th as the gas expense for driving back & forth a couple times a week is getting prohibitive.  We gotta da bills....

Had my mri and I am indeed crooked.  I already knew that but when you can see squished and misshapen vertebra it looks so much awfuller, LOL.  Pinched a nerve in my right arm, since my little finger is going numb now.  Kinda like carpal tunnel but a different nerve.  they fix it the same, but this is NOT the time to be one-handed (is there ever a good time?)  Oh well, things are certainly not BORING lately.  But we have the fall garden to get in (if it does not get drowned out by the hurricane season rains) and piles of brush to burn come October'...many, many piles.  We will probably be burning brush the whole month of Oct, until Mary decides the snakes in the lower area have gone to sleep, then we will be thinning, pruning, cutting, and generally whipping that end of the woodlot into shape.  We're considering a sitting area with a fire pit, and perhaps a target back stop against the hillside for keeping our aim sharp.  We can get a combo hunting &  fishing license here for $5 a year due to disability, and that includes deer hunting (heck, even alligator hunting if you are helping someone with a permit).  Venison cans up nicely; even if Mary does not eat it,  I do, and she likes to hunt, too.  Deer are pretty but I do NOT like what they did to my fruit plantings,  so they need thinning.

But first things first.  Florence is coming to call and she's looking like a handful.

I'm sorry to hear of Joys passing ,Twilight.  Our fur babies are such precious friends that their passing is always too soon.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1

Thank you all, yes I am sure most of us have pets and have lost them in the past. 

My hurt is more the helplessness I feel that I could get no help for her.  I do not know your feelings about puppy mills or commercial breeders, but if you want a good veterinarian live in an area where there is a major dog population for the best care!!! 

I now live where there are the poorest choice anyone could imagine!

Sorry Mt_Ryder bad neighbors are hard to take....have been there! Start smiling really big....they will wonder what you are up to. ...try it it really works. Do not let them see you upset... that is what they are looking for!

Kappy hang on tight.. all of you in the path of these storms not just Florence but all the rest behind her be safe!!

• Like 1

Oye, Kappy.  I was just going to post and ask if you two are going to be feeling the pain from Flo.  Kinda looked like most south coastal will get some of it.  And right now, Flo still has A LOT to go around.  :(  Stay safe.  :grouphug:

Yes, thank you, Twilight.  Neighbor's a 'pill' but I rarely have to deal with her.  Just another young one who thinks she hung the moon and is quite ASTONISHED when I don't believe it.  I just kept cutting her off when she tried to tell me HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE....on our property!  I said immediately: "You and I are not having that conversation.  B is hired as the expert by the owners and you and I don't have anything to say about it.  But on YOUR side of the property line, you need to make your choices and let us know."  She doesn't have "boundaries"....physical or otherwise but mine are so strong that I did get her shut down.  Didn't really want to tick her off but ....puleeeeze, don't be so illogical!  I'm Spock!  Do you REALLLLLY believe everyone is going to listen to your plan for someone else's property?

Plus....what was happening on Maui and at a certain boat club in D.C. held a lot more of my attention yesterday than the youngling.  :buttercup:

The issue is all the water coming down from our hill above the house.  The amount coming down to us from their higher hill is even greater.  So B will doing some bobcat work to reform an old diversion ditch.  It's been there since before we arrived.  None of us realized what it was...why there was an oddly unnatural, sorta-flat area part way up the hill behind the house.  Figured out that the goats in their pen demolished the end portion of it and .....the fire-hose of water I battled mid-storm was actually that drainage diversion ditch doing it's job.  Aaahhh, that's what happened and it's fixable.  So we just restore what some long ago person installed up there. 

If I'd have recognized that, I sure could have kept it maintained in the goat pen so it would continue to DIVERT water!  Now we know and B will bring it back to what it needs to be to handle a lot of rain.  Over time, all hillsides slump back to original shape.  However.... several feet of that original formation is on THEIR side of the fence line.  :shrug:  B has the permission to use the nice neighbor's land to creep his bobcat up the STEEP hill carefully...then tuck over to this side without getting permission from THEM.  THEIR property starts higher up the hill.  And if THEY want to finish the ditch on THEIR side to keep THEIR water from demolishing my driveway and basement....that would be nice.  HER family KNOWS everything and owns ALL the equipment, of course.  :buttercup:     If THEY will not do anything [and we could push that issue a bit more], we could do some solid fencing to keep THEIR water from crossing over to our side.  Plywood stuck into the ground along the 3-strand barbed will look real nice, dontcha think?  :rolleyes:    Ve haf our vays of getting around things.....  :whistling:  

I also had delivery from UPS AND FedEx yesterday....and had to drive down to get one of them - cuz of driveway.  Don't blame them - I posted a sign to HONK if they don't want to chance their vehicle.  Had several phone calls --- I can go 3-4 days without ANY phone calls.  Kept checking Doppler and email.  Just tons more stimulation to nervous system than is usual for me.  When DH called later from his work, I answered with some trepidation.  Toooo tired to deal with anything more.  Hearing his voice I exclaimed, "Thank goodness it's you!"  :wub:  Just a normal conversation! 

Didn't get to sleep until after 5am.  :groooansmileyf: I realllly should have anticipated a massive depletion of serotonin after such an active day.  That's an MS problem.  Finally I took a second half of the sleep aid and then slept late this morning.   TODAY has been pleasant and normal.  I'm still sorting and organizing ....which makes me happy!  :happy0203:  Even if I get tiny areas cleared/cleaned.....IT'S PROGRESS.  :amen:  

MtRider .....keeping Doppler map ready for viewing H.Flo  :pc_coffee:

• Like 2

I'm glad everyone in GA is battened down and ready.  I hope it isn't as bad as the predictions. 

I went to the doc this morning about insomnia that has gotten so much worse since I started losing weight. I get no caffeine and no diet or pills of any kind. He said take more melatonin and that's it for now. Checked my thyroid and did cbc. I look forward to seeing the results next week. Hoping they look even better with less weight!

This afternoon, I took my older friend from Church with me to two thrift stores and Dollar Tree. She enjoyed herself and I think she will sleep well tonight. Somebody should!

• Like 1

Ugh, insomnia. I have it bad too. After decades of going days in a row with no sleep I finally told my doctor enough! I had tried all the PM stuff, trazodone, melatonin, herbs...nothing helped. The PM stuff gives me terrible restless leg syndrome. She gave me a prescription for the generic Ambien. I guess it works the same but a whole lot cheaper.

I don't have any of the side effects you hear about on TV. That is as long as I keep food out of the bed. I did dig into the corn nuts not long ago :blush:.  I do stay in bed though. I just have to remove the snacks that shouldn't be there in the first place.

I get 8 hours of sleep regardless of when I take it. I don't take it every night either because I don't want to build up a tolerance to it. I take it when I'm starting to get off track with my sleeping habits. I'm wired as an extreme night owl and my body reverts back to that pattern every chance it gets. It's very unproductive for me. It's like telling an early riser to sleep in until noon every day. They can't do it either. So now I take one for about a week and then I'm good for another couple of weeks without one. That way I figure I'm not getting hooked on them nor building up a tolerance.

The doctor knows I do it that way but still prescribes 30 a month.  :)

Yeah...our sleep aid is something to have post-hooey, for sure.  I need to get the next couple of boxes....don't like them to run low.  I take at one-half of a low dose and usually it works fine.  Last nite should have been two halves....

Today has been restful.  :amen:   ....except reading news of hurricane, typhoon, and gas line explosions in Boston.  Aiiee!

MtRider  :offtobed: 

Jeepers I am also wired as a night owl.  Unfortunately M is a lark.  So we end up meeting in the middle...we get up late morning.  Being retired helps - getting up at 5 AM for many years was rough and I had one heck of a caffeine intake.  Not any more.  I just do housework half the night, and she has coffee ready when I get up because she gets up earlier than I do.  Works for us old broads, LOL.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1

:hi:

Took the dogs to the lake Tuesday, they needed a dog day out. They slept most of Wednesday, while I worked on hand sewing a replacement backing on Gunny’s bed. The felt type backing material shredded. Luckily, the cover I am working on was from Grrr’s old bed. When he got a new, smaller one, I put all the stuffing from it into Gunny’s. 

Yesterday, MIL called. Drama....  Her ladies had come to pick her up for one of her meetings, the driver got out to unlock the back doors and the car rolled backwards.  The driver got a bad cut on her hand and will need reconstructive surgery and grafts. The other Lady, broke her big toe and collarbone. Mom was still locking her house door when it happened. She was quite upset because of all the blood on the driveway. 

Today, I hope to get most of my trip preps completed, (Note to self: make Mom’s bean soup.), along with cleaning some things, to get a jump start on tomorrow’s house cleaning. It’d be so much easier if Gunny wouldn’t take dirt baths, then, shake as soon as he gets in the house!  We shall see how much I will be able to accomplish. 

Kappydell, DH & I are opposites. He crashes around 3-4 am and I get up around 4-5 am. We spend the afternoons and evenings together. He worked the midnight shift most of his career and his mom says he was always a night person. 

((((((Twilight)))))) for your loss. :yar:

Are they still working on your driveway, Mt_R?  Hopefully, fixing the ‘levy’ will divert all the water away from you. 

How are you doing with your move Jeepers?  I can’t imagine what it is like. We’ve been here around 40 years.  I look around my house and shake my head just thinking about it.  

Nice to to hear your surgeries went well and you are seeing better, WE2. 

Miki, congratulations on your weight loss. I hope all your tests come back normal. 

Time me to get motivated, the sun is up and we are looking at it getting up around 105*F today. 

• Like 4

For all you night owls that are simply wired that way...this is an article for you to read!  I switch back and forth in different stages of my life.  Once established, it's very hard for me to switch times to sleep.  Hard enough for me to get to sleep at all....even in childhood I remember laying awake for hours....BORED.  So I began writing stories in my head.... 

DH is one of those people who can lay down and sleep anytime.  His bedtime ranges from 10PM to 2AM.  I cannot switch like that in the course of a few days.  And he can take a nap anytime he feels the need too.  It's a good thing ...better than sleep deprivation, huh?  :imoksmiley: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/25/style/sleep-problem-late-night.html

MtRider ....cheers to all who watch thru the nights.... :thumbs: 

• Like 1

I was a night owl for years also, all evening jobs that got off between 11pm and 2 or 3 am.  Probably adds to the problem!

I finally sewed the @#$% buttons back on 2 out of 3 shirts. Don't have the right color thread for the third one. Darn LOL Will be dusting and cleaning the bathrooms this afternoon.

I found out that I was right about my thyroid! Doctor called in a prescription for a lower dose. Now, here's my quandry! Do I start taking them right away or--I have a huge list of big jobs to get done by Oct. 11th, just deal with the lesser amount of sleep (although I did double up on the melatonin like the doc said to) and then start with them on the 12th? I know that when I do start taking them, I will have less energy than I do now and I won't have any help with getting the big jobs done. Leaning towards waiting to start them. I've been on this dose for years so aside from the sleep issue, I don't see the harm. But isn't it nice that I figured it out and was actually right?

Annarchy...what an awful thing for your MIL and her ladies! :(  :pray:  That would be so traumatic...even just watching!

Miki... VERY good that you figured it out.  That happens a lot but some folks don't push into the "doctor's realm" to make them check their observations.  Afterall....this IS our own bodies we're talkin' about, right?  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  

MtRider .....off to cut the goat fence cuz B/J are coming today with driveway machine.  No word from little miss 'pill' but no matter..

• Like 1

Mt. Rider, I saw two words in that link. Keith. Richards. Yessssss!  I just knew we were soul mates.  :hapydancsmil:

I've always been a late nighter. I can remember way back in elementary school having trouble falling asleep. I'm an extreme night owl. I could be one of those people who go to sleep at 10:00am and get up at 7:00pm. My body loves that schedule but society doesn't. Those hours don't include banking, post office, pharmacy, shopping, hair cuts etc. By the time I'd get up and shower etc. those places are closed. Plus it's dark out and not the safest environment for a single old woman. Caffeine doesn't really effect my sleep either. I can get my sleeping pattern to 'normal' for a couple of weeks but my body goes right back to where it wants to be.

Annarchy, I'm so sorry to hear about the accident your MIL's friends had. What a horrible sight that must have been.  :pray:

Miki, I know what I'd do. Your doctor told you to take the lower dose so that's what you should do. However...

Since you've already been on them with no issues, me...I'd wait. You know your body and what lies ahead. But don't go by me! I'm a crazy rebel. :cheeky-smiley-067:

• Like 2

I mowed the grass today. Neighbor came running out with the phone up to his ear looking at me like he was calling the police again. I didn't make eye contact. I mowed like I always do. Grass got in his driveway. Not even a cups worth. As normal. I was out there for over an hour. No police showed up. Either he didn't call or they told him to go pound salt.

Today was trash day and he kept making trips out to the curb. Again I didn't acknowledge him. I have great peripheral vision. He really needs my attention badly.

He put the driveway on the property line so he can expect a few blades of grass. I'm not changing the way I mow my grass. He does not intimidate me. That is what makes him the maddest. Narcissistic bullies need attention. Luckily, I know that and don't feed him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well, it seems like Flo has slowed down, so today we went on with our woodlot management program. 

We are now working on the borders of our land.  There is a tree border, some big ones and many spindly ones.  We are taking out the smaller ones that are crowding the bigger healthier ones.  In a way it is harder than removing the big ones, because these are in a kind of hedgerow containing lots of smilax vines - big ones! (I now believe that a rose thorn stripper would work on them to remove thorns on the bigger vines.  Nice to know if I decide to use them for basketry.  They are certainly plentiful enough.)  Anyway, we are saving the nice straight trunks of the little trees we are removing - between 3 and 5 inches in diameter, most of them, and tall.  We are cutting them to post size, will teepee them somewhere or other (probably by by the dog pen) to dry a bit.  We plan to use them in phase three of our woodlot-neatening system, when we make a path down to the lower ravine and creek area.  They will make very attractive rustic handrails along the path for us.  We have basically planned it to take three years...year one is to neaten up the upper yard where the home is, year two we work to clear some of the brush out of the lower creekside area, clearing an area to sit, have a fire pit, and maybe set up a target area along the mini-bluff for shooting.    Year three is the physical improvements - put in a safe fire area, benches, and make a path down with those handrails, that is not too steep to allow use of a wheelchair or walker (we ain't getting any younger).  I'd like to pave it with some gravel but we will have to see how workable that would be.  It might wash out, since rain-water uses that route to drain down to the creek.  Mary likes the idea of a gazebo down there, too.  So we have our work cut out for us, but there is nothing like a good project to keep one motivated to get out of bed each day.

We are monitoring Flo's progress with care.  If nothing else, she is a good reason to stage our preps for the hurricane season as we will almost certainly have more as the season progresses.  I hope our involvement is minimal, as the 2nd planting of green beans is just starting to bear, and we'd hate to see them drowned out right now.  And as long as the older pole beans, sweet potatoes , carrots and okra keep providing, even slowly, we'd like to keep them, too.  Its deer season here, but no hunting this year.  We're just too dang busy.

We put on a good two hours of clearing today, in 90 plus degree heat, so we are happy with our progress.  Barbecued chicken & cheesy rice for dinner!

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, kappydell said:

in 90 plus degree heat,

Sheeesh!  It was 90 degrees here ....in mid-Sept.....9,000' elevation Colorado.  :scratchhead:    No humidity tho... :knary:

B and J were here today with the backhoe...not just a bobcat.  Whoa....do we have a ditch/berm now!!!  All went well tho the "pill" neighbor did not get back to me.  So that portion on their land is a "leak" in our diversion system.  But this will channel most of the rain.  B and J are coming back tomorrow early.  They have 8 "running hours" on the backhoe.  Will continue down the driveway...burying the telephone cord in the deepest ravine and making a new water channel further over.  Carving off the hillside will give room to have the driveway back where it used to be ....before the hillside slid down into it.  Plenty of gravel on that encroaching hillside.  B has already made a channel for water coming down from this way or that.  Follows natural low spots but directs the flow in other spots.  This should help a lot.  I'm still threatening to put up a wall of plywood along that fence line.....  ;) They will be  back tomorrow....told them they can come as early as they need to.  Usually ...with my odd sleeping...they come later. 

But DH and I will be gone to bring lunch to my folks...anniversary.  And the big reveal of a family reunion in Oct that my parents don't know about yet.  :happy0203:   DD2 started it and all of them from Maui are coming.  Then my brother and his dd got tickets too.  Won't be long.  Our D.C. people can't be there more than a few days.  Maui Ohana will be there a bit over a week.  But....everyone!  All FOUR generations finally together for the first....and likely last...time.  That will be my parent's surprise tomorrow but they'll have 3 wks to anticipate the actual event.  Nice anniversary gift, yeah?

I'm pretty wiped out.  Was out there doing what ever needed doing all afternoon.  DH was home but not having a good day.  He slept a lot.  J and I were go-fers for B on his nifty rented machine.  One place next to the forest...I told B there was a sheet of corrugated metal roofing buried by snowplowing.  So he dug it out.  OOOPs.  There were about FIVE full sheets and as many smaller pieces under years of snowplowed sand/grit/dirt that is our Rocky Mts.  B is looking at me....uh, lot more than ONE!  :rolleyes:   OK, so those are stacked with the woodpile now.  

MtRider  ....good day.  Lot of progress.  Not going to be here for tomorrow's driveway digging episode.  :grinning-smiley-044:  Gotta go "party" with folks :cakeslice:

• Like 2

Methinks this is going to be one of those days......

Up at 4a.m. breakfast,  straightened bedroom, went to bathroom started cleaning...before I finished washing blinds, the cat wanted out. I went out with him, taking empty jars to laundry room, brought dried towels in and folded/put away, took trash out,  where was I ? I guess back to the bathroom.

My longtime wanna be buyer has said maybe as early as the end of of this month but for sure before the end of the year... not that I would have to be out that quick but...........

• Like 4

I made a quick trip to Wal-Mart today and they were putting out Christmas decorations. Pffft.

I picked up 2 bath mats while there. They are nice. They are made from memory foam and feel good. Also some hand towels to match. They weren't a set but they matched perfectly. Not that it really matters. Gonna need a couple of shower curtains too. Two bathrooms = twice the stuff. I was going to crochet some bath mats out of rug yarn. I may still do that when I get moved in and have more time. Although they can be sort of slippery. Might need to rethink that.

I forgot to mention that I did get the plastic baskets from the Dollar Tree last week. They didn't have all 3 colors so I got 2 aqua blue and 1 lime green. Actually, they look pretty festive together. The sand toys did fit in one.

I finally got the big walk-in closet done. There is still stuff in there but it's hanging clothes that I have hanging up with trash bags over them and a couple of boxes of shoes and a bag of purses. All ready to be moved...whenever. I also got everything in the master bath packed up except for the things I use every day. Everything else is packed up in 2 small totes that fit under the sink. AND yesterday I got half of my dresser emptied and packed. I got another 2 trash bags full to take to the Salvation Army. I swear I don't know how all of these clothes got here. Oh yeah, normal clothes and fat clothes  :blush:.

Except for the big closet, I really can't see where I've made much of a dent yet. 

• Like 2

Jeepers , sound like you are really getting things done....

Not sure I am because I start but don’t think I have finished anything yet. 

Because as my day started it is continuing. Washed a load of clothes, the seeing my scrub brush , got down on my knees and scrubbed the porch and part of the wall.

Came in to rest and read a book from Gutenberg.org had a late lunch , started in bathroom and it still is not finished. Went back out and scrubbed on more of porch wall. 92 degrees so it is a pleasant task! Washed the broom and mop so waiting on them to dry....

• Like 1

I’m in awe, I wouldn’t know where to start, if I had to pack -n- move. Last time I had to get rid of so much, I wish I’d saved. No room in the truck to take most of my stuff. 

Today has been, checked the garden, there’s a baseball sized watermelon (or cantaloupe) IDK which. Planning to turn it all under/over because another gardener had a gathering, down the road, and they were working on preparing his garden for winter crops. 

Still prepping for my trip on Wednesday, still have to wash the car and pack, but it’ll go fast. 

Air frying hot wings and tater tots outside for dinner. We are still over 100*, so I am not cooking in the house. 

Worked on updating DH’s Dragon Box for a while, and decided, because HE hit “factory reset”, he needs to send it back to re-install the operating system. :shakinghead:  I did what I could, but it wasn’t enough. It needs an update that won’t install, and I have no idea why. If’n I had instructions, maybe.  But the company has a stranglehold on that info. Maybe I’m just missing something. I still need to update our other FireStick, but Netflix has 3 movies I want to play for Mom, Duck duck Goose and Next Gen are cute animated movies, if she doesn’t have football on all day. ‘‘Tis the season. And then, we have a meeting to go to on Thursday. 

Turned my computer off and it wanted to connect to the box. I might connect it to Dh’s computer and let him download what he wants. IDK, we shall see. 

Time me to turn the wings....

Hoping everyone has a great day/evening. 

.....updates...... tomorrow I need to update MrsS. Hopefully, it’ll only take a few minutes.  I can hope. :whistling:

• Like 1

Annarchy, how are the two ladies who were injured when car backed up?

The ditch/berm and the work on driveway is done now.  :amen:  It's soft and needs to be packed down all over....before we get rain, probably.  There is an impressive run-off ditch now.   Hope it works as planned.  .

Meanwhile, DH and I spent much of the day reorganizing basement/garage area.  We've nearly emptied the Circus Tent and with the additional garage shelving units, we've put things away and still have room.  And STUFF is accessible!!!  :hapydancsmil:All the empty cardboard boxes that haven't been rain-warped, will be flattened and stored ....for whenEVER we move....  :shrug:  

We're working in a tiny corner of the garage and nearly got into a jam.  The final shelving unit was so hard to fit into the back space.  I had to crawl across two shelves on my stomach to get on other side to bring in the last shelving unit.  Should have moved the last one BEFORE setting up the other ones.  But that's the one that's been holding up the Circus Tent tarp.  ["big top" effect since I don't have a roof line]  So taking that out was a commitment to hurry up and get it completely empty.  Cuz now the roof tarp is held up by a cardboard box on top of something.  WIND will ruffle that right down.  IT'S WELL TIME TO BE DONE WITH THAT "TEMPORARY" STRUCTURE! 

We're QUITE pleased with the progress......but ooooo boy, are we gonna HURT tomorrow.  I was hammering the plastic tube legs into tight holes on each shelf...over and over.  Then had to take apart some of them cuz they didn't match up on something I didn't even pay attention to.....  Aaaaack!  I HATE doing stuff over again.  Bad enough to do it once! 

MtRider  :amen:  :happy0203:   .....I need more than 5 hrs of sleep tho....  :offtobed:  

Zonked out at 12:30 am and got up at 9:30am.  That's better.  Another day with DH home and we're sorting and cleaning and putting stuff in ORGANIZED LOCATIONS in garage/basement.  I don't think EITHER of us knew where a good portion of stuff was.  He knew some stuff ......I knew about other stuff .....and both of us were mystified by part of what we're unearthing in this "archeological dig". :scratchhead:Who put that there?????  When did we get this????  I'm wearing my large black Magic Marker at my hip.....labeling EVERYTHING.  Also finding stuff and calling out:  needs to be rotated!   :rolleyes:  Not sure we need to go to grocery for ....a while.  With the shelving units, the organization I've always wanted is happening, finally.  Then if we do move.....or {please, no} need to EVAC.....there will be a LOT LESS CONFUSION.  So if the new work done on the big garage door really DOES keep the rodents out....and I get some kind of filter on the clothes dryer pipe.....stuff might stay sanitary and mostly clean down there. 

But we're still using buckets and totes cuz I'm afraid we still have a resident population within the {possibly} sealed garage now.  :shrug:                Computer keys are acting :sassing:  again.                                                                                                                                                         MtRider  :dusting: 

• Like 1

Already had my walk and disposed of all rose bush branches from Monday's pruning marathon. Hauled goat grain and minerals back to goat shed. Still to do: run to hardware store for weather stripping seal for fridge (might work), install new deadbolt, wash dogs in Dawn again for flea removal, make tuna salad. Probably should put --watch TV-- on list as the past few weeks I watch one show and am done. Just get too tired! And, of course, I have to come here!

• Like 1