MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Ambergris, what does the nerve cauterization do....deaden pain, I assume.  Is it permanent pain relief?  Is there any downside...besides the sedation?  My friend had [has?] injections into neck muscles to keep them from spasms, which then turn her head permanently to the side.  Was a common treatment a few decades ago but I can't bring the name to mind.  Don't know if she needs them now...haven't heard her mention it in recent years.

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

• Like 1

It's possible that a lot of my back spasms are happening because my nerves are in the habit of screaming.  This shuts them up for the six months or so it takes for them to regrow, at which point they may have forgotten to scream all the time--which would make the relief permanent.  I'm getting the right side (lower back) done in about two weeks, and if that helps down low but doesn't take care of the upper back issues, I'll have to do more in probably November and December.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Twilight said:

"The four established risk factors for PONV are: 1) the use of postoperative narcotic pain relievers, 2) female sex, 3) a non-cigarette smoker, and 4) a previous history of PONV.1 In my experience, these same four characteristics are risk factors for HAGA."  Nope, yep, yep, yep.  But they basically patted me on the head and moved on. 

Just now, Twilight said:

I was asked before surgery if I drank alcohol, no. They could see I was a redhead.

About two hours after surgery I got nauseous and  started throwing up. I did not ask for anything but the nurse volunteered they had no anti nausea meds in the hospital.

Seriously...................how could a hospital NOT HAVE anti-nausea meds???

When I had my second TKA (back in 2001) I was feeling fine post op, and even had something to eat. THEN it happened! When the head of the bed was lowered down after eating I experienced some horrible vomiting: projectile, hitting the wall across the room, style vomiting. :sorry::gdtmi: 

I spent the next 48 hrs in and out of awareness and even experienced some paranoia(?). I worried my poor daughter to death when I called her at 3AM from the hosp and told her they (nursing staff) were "starving" me to death. I even tried to call 9-1-1 from INSIDE the hosp! (NOT possible to do in case you were wondering).

When the Dr made his rounds the next morning I told him I wanted to be transferred to the rehab hosp RIGHT AWAY and he said I wasn't in any shape to be anywhere other than a  primary care hosp. I insisted. They transferred. Best decision ever!!!

BTW- I have NO idea what the general anesthesia was. :(

• Sad 3

Hubby has the sinus crud, so I'm going to get to hear him whine for the next few days.

I'm managed to stave it off with eucalyptus and hippie voodoo (read: diffusing essential oils) so far.  I refuse to allow gunk to accumulate in my sinuses, as it's a very quick trip to sinus infection & bronchitis for me.

I still figure that respiratory crud is what's going to get me in the zombie apocalypse.

• Sad 2

No illness here but I'm beginning to think this LOAD OF BRICKS that has been sitting on me ....MIGHT be more than mere fatigue from a busy week.  I did have 3 days out-and-about in 9 days.  :0327:   But.....  :sigh:  it might also be my dreaded MS FALL FATIGUE THING:behindsofa:     With the big reunion coming up, I have things-to-do.....  Or not....  :shrug:    With the FallFatigueThing, resting doesn't really seem to help...cuz it can last for weeks...couple months. 

Adrenaline does override it ....somewhat.  Depends on how much adrenaline I'm pumping out.  And there is a COST-WITH-INTEREST on that.  :yar: 

Hope you all with some version of 'crud' will get to feeling better.  Deport unwelcome microbes and settle overactive nerves impulses. 

MtRider  :imoksmiley: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 2

No, Ambergris, she has not eaten any of the other kinds...in fact she was quite surprised to find out they came in different colors.  And yes, I plan on dehydrating those sweet taters several ways, all involving cooking.  I'm baking some, to dry them as leather, then blending to a powder for "instant" sweet potatoes.  Im going to slice and/or dice some, blanch them (I found my big blanching pot today - yippee!!) to dry as pieces.  And last but not least, tossing some thin slices in oil, sprinkling with my powdered seasonings - seasoned salt on some, and cinnamon sugar on some, then dehydrating down to "chips" .  Not sure whether the dehydrator temp will actually cook them, but I don't imagine they will last long enough for it to matter, if the dried okra pod 'chips' were any indication. LOL.  Those were astonishingly delicious.  And naturally the ones I dry for the dogs to knaw on will be cooked first, then dehydrated.  We are planning an extra raised bed in the spring, to make more room for sweet potatoes and other viners - melons and cucumbers - all of which tried to hijack the entire bed they were planted in.  We have room for just one more bed in our flat part of the yard.  

I also found a garden center with transplants for sale for 'winter gardens' as they call it.  They have broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, chard, and of course, collard transplants in 4-packs for $1.50....I'll be there first thing in the morning to get some - hopefully they will have some left - Mary is still in S. Carolina, working her tail off.  She got excited about those transplants, though, so I'll wait til she gets home (Sunday or Monday) to plant them with her. 

She is hurting a-plenty; they are working from 8:30 in the morning to 7:30 at night with 45 min off for brunch.  Nobody has the energy to cook (good thing Mary took extra canned foods along that she can eat) and she is massaging our friends legs at night - he loses feeling in them and can't stand up when he over-does.  The massage helps.  I wish I could have talked her into taking her back rub medicine, but apparently nobody has offered to massage her bad back anyway.  She is taking great pains not to over-do but unfortunately the guys have the macho-factor to deal with and are not doing likewise.  She is trying to keep an eye on her partner (he has had strokes & surgery to open leg veins in the past)  but he is pushing to get as much done as possible.  Oh well. 

She is exhausted, but glad she went.  The son had NO food in the house, and (being an all guy household) the only gear they had for cooking were a couple fry pans (typical) so it was a good thing they took extra pots along, since they are under a boil order for water!   There is (as usual after a hurricane) a shortage of bleach and mops in all the stores.  So it was worth all the work in staging to include canned & dried foods (rotating our storage pantries) tools and cleaning supplies.  The young man (in his thirties) is learning the hard way what to have on hand in an emergency cupboard, and I am told he is paying attention, praise be.  I hope so, as it will take some time to rebuild our preps, and he has been told this level of response will not be as likely in the future.  

I've been watching the supreme court confirmation hearings. It's quite the circus.  Not a dignified day for our government at all.  Some decorum in our debates and dignity in our disagreements would be so refreshing, albeit unlikely in the forseeable future.  It will be interesting to see what happens, not only in the hearing, but at the ballot box.  Hopefully people have been paying attention to how their senators have been acting and will take it into account while discerning how they want to vote.  I know I've been paying attention.  

• Like 5

I sure agree that what is going on now makes our government look like idiots!  No dignity at all!

We had to buy a refrigerator yesterday. DH had to have a bigger one than I thought we needed. Now we have a big (25 cu. ft.) double door with ice and water in the door. Fella installing it said it is the Tessla of fridges. Cost 873.00 and I got 50.00 more off and no interest for 12 months. Of course there was tax and delivery, so more money than I would have spent, but will probably outlast us! We also got the wills that I put off for so long witnessed and signed. Still need to print copies and distribute.

So far today, I trimmed or pruned a huge bush in the back yard back down to size and hauled away the branches. Washed both dogs again, with flea shampoo this time. Took eBay photos for DH. After lunch, I just need to change A/C filter, light bulbs and put a few items in overhead china cabinet. I will be caught up! Also dusted house.

Hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 3
On 9/24/2018 at 1:27 AM, Mt_Rider said:

bottled O2

We've seen some travelers using bottled O2...they bought at WalMart...so they said.  We asked in our city and they've never heard of them.  Are they at Sams or ???  Just seems like a good prep to us....even if it's only a couple of bottles a year.

• Like 1
On 9/27/2018 at 7:20 AM, TheCG said:

Hubby has the sinus crud, so I'm going to get to hear him whine for the next few days.

I'm managed to stave it off with eucalyptus and hippie voodoo (read: diffusing essential oils) so far.  I refuse to allow gunk to accumulate in my sinuses, as it's a very quick trip to sinus infection & bronchitis for me.

I still figure that respiratory crud is what's going to get me in the zombie apocalypse.

We're fans of using our Netti Pots.  Gotta know how to use them or you'll think you're drowning!  But it sure flushes those nasal passages out and relieves pressure.  Then some deep inhale's from our bottle of Oregano Essential Oil and Peppermint Essential Oil and we're usually over the hump.  Still have our Elderberry Syrup in the frig just in case.  We've been doing fine this year...even during allergy seasons.

Went in today for my final exam after the cataract surgery.  Just tickled pink!  Left eye 20/25 and right eye 20/20.  Just need readers or...can pay high dollar for clear lens glasses with bifocals.  Will opt for the readers for the time being.  I've prayed all my life for healing of my eyesight...and had to wait 71+ years to see without having to wear glasses.  Figure?  Anyway...PTL!  :cheer:

• Like 5

Hubby's been sprucing up our rig for an extended trip to his home state...his 50th high school reunion (he's younger than me) and to touch base with several of his surviving cousins.  Some of them are 15+ years older than he is.  I've nudged him ever since we married about getting in touch with some of his kin.  Both of his parents are passed on and he was an only child, so cousins etc. (I felt) were very important.  Hopefully we'll be heading out in a few days...Texas bound.

• Like 2

Forgot to mention...took Miss B (our camper van) out for a day trip through the national forest last weekend.  Lovely trip.  Got 17 mpg...good! Hubby's checked out stove to make sure I can cook.  Also changed all the fluids including filters etc.  The new front seats are so comfy, and the passenger seat swivels around to have seating towards the galley-way and we are able to store our 5-day cooler under the bed (which we choose to leave down rather than up in a dinette) and can be pulled out for a table with 4 drink cubbies while one of us sits on the edge of the bed.  Works for us!  Abby-girl finds a spot and stays put!  Big dog living little :laughkick:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, The WE2's said:

We're fans of using our Netti Pots.  Gotta know how to use them or you'll think you're drowning!  But it sure flushes those nasal passages out and relieves pressure.  Then some deep inhale's from our bottle of Oregano Essential Oil and Peppermint Essential Oil and we're usually over the hump.  Still have our Elderberry Syrup in the frig just in case.  We've been doing fine this year...even during allergy seasons.

I should make a new batch of elderberry syrup tomorrow and start dosing him with that.

I've got thieves and Eucalyptus oil going in the diffuser.

He flat out refuses any kind of sinus rinse.  

I *might* be able to get him to do a bit of saline seeing as how he's on his third nose bleed for the day... (pretty sure he's not willing to stick coconut oil up his nose, either)

• Like 1
On 9/26/2018 at 9:13 PM, Midnightmom said:

Seriously...................how could a hospital NOT HAVE anti-nausea meds???

Yup!  I had two surgeries, where I told them I got sick from the meds, before my surgery.  They told me they didn’t have anti puke stuff. Ugh..... nasty recovery time. 

• Sad 2

Wednesday evening DH wanted to go fishing. I decided not to nap before. We left around 11 pm. The water was calm, very little breeze. Fished most of the night, a tiny bite, missed it. Caught a rock or two.  Saw some awesome falling stars. Decided it was a mistake not to nap before going. And, decided I will need to bring warmer clothes. 65* on the water was enough to give me the shivers. 

We docked, I got the trailer and we were packing up when another yaker was launching next to us. He started to pull away and his trailer fell off his truck!  

A boat launched, then floated for about an half an hour, before using his trolling motor to dock, then he loaded it back up and left. 

Then, another yaker, walked over asking if we had an extra oar, he forgot his. 

We had a great day, even though we didn’t catch anything, compared to others on the lake. 

I had been up from 4am Wednesday until Thursday around 3pm, then, slept at least 12 hours. 

Today, I fixed a sewing machine, sewed a set of curtains and barbecued dinner. Watched Live TV and now...

...gonna get some sleep. Tomorrow is house cleaning day........gotta wash the area rug ‘cause Grrr’s inconstancy .  Poor old man. ......

ugh....

• Like 1

WE2.....it depends on if you mean the "bottled O2" I was referring to....or the liquid O2 in a small bottle with a dropper.  My folks are both on oxygen now ....the big O2 concentrater units and the portable O2 concentrater units.  But they have a few pressurized oxygen tanks/bottles still left over from before they bought the portable units.  They keep them for electrical outage emergencies.  That's what I was referring to in that post.  Requires a doctor 'script usually.  But up here there are small units they sell even in grocery stores.  :shrug: 

But up here in HIGH mountains, we also have the other product of liquid O2 drops ...mostly used by our suffering visitors.  We get the small bottles in health food stores but I'm not sure they'd be sold in low land areas.  You take drops of .....whatever this stuff is....and it helps to acclimate to our 8-9,000' altitude.  Hmmm, that's a good question...what IS that stuff?

This stuff:  https://www.amazon.com/Stabilized-Premium-Concentrated-Vitamin-Supplement/dp/B004IJHHL4

Or this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Boost-Oxygen-Natural-Energy-inhalations/dp/B005SUEVHU/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_121_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3R6NRX4MZRCVT0BP9NFT

NOT NOT NOT this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_oxygen

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Too bad your dh is still suffering, TheCG.  I'm with him about fluid up the nose.  I do KNOW it works....I'd use it if I was desperate.  But for my sinus canals....I end up flooding that fluid back out for the next several hours!!!!  Every time I bend over, I have to hold a wash cloth.  It's ridiculous but ...that's my nose.  No wonder I have sinus issues with how convoluted the canal routes must be.  DH uses the technique on the very few times he gets clogged.  But he just whiffs salt water up off a flat saucer. 

MtRider  .....planning reunion activities  :hapydancsmil:...but I'm still mostly :0327: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:13 AM, Midnightmom said:

I even tried to call 9-1-1 from INSIDE the hosp! (NOT possible to do in case you were wondering).

Taking note of not to bother calling 9-1-1 from hospital bed. :008Laughing:  When I had surgery they gave me anti-nausea shots until bedtime. Their mistake. I woke up in the middle of the night throwing up all over the myself and bed. They were afraid I had pulled my stitches. Abdominal surgery. So, they had to clean me up and change my bed. One little shot would have been a lot easier on all of us. It's not like they were afraid of waking me up what with all the hourly temperature blood pressure etc. taking they did.

Hope Mary goes at her own pace and not the testosterone laden males. Sigh. But from what you have posted about Mary, she sounds like a very sensible lady.

Hope your D-H gets better soon TheCG and I hope you don't get it in the sinuses too!  

I'm sure you will enjoy your new fridge Miki. Pffft, you deserve it! And you did need a new one. Okay, if it's new that means it's more energy efficient so there is savings right there. Justify it girlfriend!

I use a neti pot as a preventive too. Only problem is I don't remember to do it. I'm thrilled about your eye sight We2!!! I'd go the reader route too. I've heard bifocals can be hard to adjust to. Like your depth perception can be off...way off. And some people trip and fall because of it. $1.00 Dollar Tree readers would be right up my alley. Have safe travels. I was an only child too (still am :grinning-smiley-044:) and my cousins were very important to me so I get it.

Going to put oregano gels on my prep list. I can't even imagine a hospital having no anti-nausea meds. Unacceptable. Poor Grrr. It happens to the best of us. Hey, you 'caught' yourself from falling in the water. I'd say that's a pretty successful catch for the night. :D

• Like 3

I got the yard mowed. It was a mess. I had to go over it 3 times. It was so tall. I couldn't help it though. It has been raining so much I couldn't get out there. It was really too wet today but I couldn't chance waiting. Neighbor was either gone or stayed inside. He had better.   

:fryingpan:     <-------Jeepers        Neighbor------->    :runcirclsmiley2:

I got my Jeep cleaned out and ready to start packing up. I'm going to Indy in a week or maybe two.

Went to Wal-Mart for some more space bags and did my grocery shopping there. Got everything carried in and now I'm done for. Back is toast. It's gonna be the heating pad and the Kindle for me the rest of the evening. It's in the 50's so I can turn the fan on with the heating pad. I swung by Olive Garden and got some angel hair pasta and a salad for supper while I was out. Will be a nice afternoon.

I just don't believe what the tests say about my knee and back. My knee hurts and they said there is nothing wrong with it. And my back is screaming over my left kidney. They say arthritis. On one side? Over my kidney? Maybe. The blood test for diabetes was high but when she checked my at home monitor, all the readings were in the high but still normal range. She even commented on it. I think when I get settled in Indy I'm going to insist on a complete physical. Not to sound like a hypochondriac ( Lawsy, I spelled that correctly according to spell check) or that I want there to be something wrong, but I want to know what to do about it and get some relief.

Oh, and I found some brussels sprouts in the frozen foods aisle. I don't eat them often but lately I've been craving them. Strange craving I know. Anyway, I think it's supposed to be 2 servings but if that's all you are having it's a single serving. They say they are roasted with no sauce or flavoring added but boy, they sure taste like they do. Must be the roasting? They are seasoned with black pepper and a little bitey. I have a very sensitive mouth and they are just fine for me. They are in a steam bag so you just zap them for a few minutes, add a splash of vinegar and you have some good eatin' buddy. Note to self: check into roasting veggies.

But wait there's more! I think Kindle uses android apps. They have a really good radar app for free. It's called MyRadar weather radar. I have it on the Kindle and it is very accurate. It also shows where earthquakes have happened.  It's radar for the whole world not just the United States. You can enlarge it or reduce the size buy using your fingers. I was going to link the Amazon page but I had all of my information on it. Just go to Amazon apps if interested. I highly recommend it!

My, but I was long winded today.  :blah:

• Like 6