MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I'm resting.  I have part of me yearning to go downstairs and do more  :band:   ORGANIZING  :band2:  .... But DH reminded me that tomorrow we go to my folks.  It's my mom's Bday this week.  So I need to be OK to go.  I will be down for feeding soon.  I'll take a look around and do a bit of this and that.  Maybe begin splitting boxes from the Circus Tent.  But not much. 

:o  I just remembered....  I REALLLLY NEED get our goat fencing back in place.  When we leave, we keep her in the pen for safety.  Dog is not on porch to give warning.  And the fence had to be cut to get the backhoe work done.  Yikes...should have done that yesterday with DH home.  I put orange ribbons on both gates.....to remind us NOT to let Koa up there for her run.....cuz it would soon be an unauthorized run to anywhere.  Yup, that takes priority tonite.  :rolleyes:  

But it's cooled down from breifly 94* to back in the 70's.  Safe for me.  Toooo weird to be in the 90's at all....let alone mid-September!!!

MtRider  :lois: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Our high didn't get out of the 60's today. Not that I noticed. I stayed in all day. I made a couple of long over due phone calls to family and not much else. Lazy girl.

I found a web site with a lot of free printables on it for making a homemakers binder. It looks really nice but the site is not user friendly. Everything is scattered out with a bunch of links. And my computer is S-L-O-W.  Also, why do people who offer something for free or for sale, seem to hide the link? I've spent so much time on the computer today waiting to open another window and searching for hidden links. I suppose I shouldn't complain since it's free but making a link bold or red would be nice. At one time I had 7 windows open going from link to link. Guess I'm not only lazy today but also ungrateful. :blush:

I'm all about lists and binders right now and this one looks like a pretty good one. Nice it's mostly black and white so it will save on ink too. I'd like to get my life and home organized. I like the idea of a monthly planner in it too, to remind me to change furnace filters and close the crawl space vents and winterizing etc. And a list for spring cleaning and summer stuff. I need visual aides these days.

http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/p/diys.html 

• Like 3

Slow start today.  Rain began 30 miles from the house and continued off & on with heavy winds most of my drive. 

Got a sweet text when I stopped to gas up that warmed my heart. :bouquet:

Hit about 20 miles of heavy rain, most vehicles slowed to 35-40. There was thick black clouds moving in on Lordsburg, which I was blessed to miss. The cashier said it was supposed to be constant through tomorrow. 

DH said it rained about an inch at home. And to think, yesterday it was clear skies and 105*F. 

Time me to get some sleep, need to get up early in the morning for the meeting tomorrow and we need to pick up one other Lady. 

• Like 3

Field Trip Day 

Picked up one Lady and met the rest of the CoC group at the Woman’s Club. There was about 60 of us. Very nice turn out. We boarded the busses and headed to the Hobson Farms, an 100 old family farm. They call it Jardin de Milagros (Garden of Miracles). It is an outreach ministry designed to furnish healthy, garden fresh vegetables to people who do not have enough to eat. They support the food pantries, by distributing an excess of 500,000  pounds of food annually and they provide produce for The Mustard Seed Cafe, a “Pay-What-You-Can” community cafe, where we had our luncheon. The cafe is run completely by volunteers. They had two small groups of children come in and help bus our tables. All part of their education program. The farm works with the university to help “food-insecure” people become more self sufficient, through education, providing jobs, counseling and other resources. 

I spent the bus ride sitting next to and listening to a Legislator that represents the region and is an Older Adults Legislative Advocate. 

Informative day to say the least. 

Last night I was so tired, I couldn’t go to sleep. :shakinghead: The last time I looked at the clock was around 2am. Then, when I looked again, it was almost 7am. I panicked because we had to be there at 9. Hopefully, tonight I will pass out and sleep well. 

:sleep1:

• Like 3
On 9/19/2018 at 9:50 PM, Annarchy said:

DH said it rained about an inch at home.

:unsure:   .....um.....is AZ sending that on up to CO?  An INCH is a lot in our SW region.  I see a weather system that stretches from Canada to the Rio Grande.  But it must have missed us today.  Today was a gorgeous late summer day!!!  B) 

Yesterday was my mom's Bday but DH was working yesterday so we celebrated today.  Brought them pizza.  They still have the anniversary flowers.  Maui sent flowers.  My dad got her a nice bouquet.  So I brought helium balloons...big pink/white with Happy Bday and two plain white ones.  Their house is quite festive now. 

After we ate,  my dad asked DH for a ride to pick up 'scripts.  My mom and I looked at each other and said "Goodwill!!!".  Up here, it's right across the street.  So the guys dropped us off and went on to pick up meds/ the folk's mail at P.O.  Then went back to the house.  My mom and I had a merry time finding some treasures and needed things. 

2 pr shorts, tank top that fits, 2 pair of boots to replace a pair I've worn out...for light cold/snow.  Then I found a shawl/wrap made in Scotland - mohair/wool.  Very light, airy but warm.  Nice mix of earthy-greenish colors.  Just a "love it" purchase. 

Got a rolling backpack ....for my anyday-in-town 'survival' stuff.  Long ago I made up a scruffy-looking rolling backpack for DH as a Get Home Bag...if he ever had to walk the highways.  This is just for me going to folks', stores, etc.  I need so much to keep me stable...warm enough, cool enough, dry enough, water, protein snacks, reader glasses, etc.  Sheeesh!  No wonder I'm such a Boyscout!  Today I I'd forgotten my Goodwill disability card for discounts.  :( And a bottle of water - ack!  And forgot to get $ from DH....  I'm not usually this scattered!!

Found an appropriate bag for our large tent.  It's been hauled around in an open canvas sack. 

Garage sales and Goodwill ....the excitement of The Treasure Hunt.  And cheaper prices.  The last time either of us were at Goodwill was last November.  <sigh>  We usually don't get out much but this past year has been a doozy.

It was a NICE day and it was good to get my mom out of the house for her Bday and just have fun.  We laugh at silly things like shoes with heels so high the person would have to turn in a flight plan with air traffic control..... :o   or  garish colors and styles.  But we admire a lot of things too.  There is usually an item for which we have no clue....what IS it?  I suspect we are easily amused.  :lol:  

MtRider  ...thankful for such days... :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4

:unsure:   .....um.....is AZ sending that on up to CO?  An INCH is a lot in our SW region.  I see a weather system that stretches from Canada to the Rio Grande.  But it must have missed us today.  Today was a gorgeous late summer day!!!  B) 

I doubt it. It hit here in TX yesterday. Yes, an inch is a lot. Mainly because it doesn’t soak it, it flash floods. 

Yard work today and errands for Mom. Movies tonight. 

Trying to relax the remainder of the day. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

I doubt it. It hit here in TX yesterday. Yes, an inch is a lot. Mainly because it doesn’t soak it, it flash floods. 

Yard work today and errands for Mom. Movies tonight. 

Trying to relax the remainder of the day. 

There's wet stuff!

Quick, forget how to drive and remember that 4WD means you never lose traction! :gaah:

It's drizzly out today, but not 3-5 inches like it was 2 weeks ago.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 9/12/2018 at 4:31 PM, Twilight said:

The tarps are excellent for use in many things and last indefinitely. Here they are called billboard tarps. They used to cost $40 at Branson. I think there is a place in Ohio selling them but I think they were asking $80. They are incredibly heavy and depending on the size of the billboard is the size the tarp will be divided usually by 4 but more on those signs.

WE2 I think you are the only one on here to know my dog Joy. I buried her Monday.

Oh my...you are probably going through some deep mourning right now.  We know how you loved her AND depended on her for your safety. Hugs...

• Like 2

Yesterday I spent a sweltering day doing a MAJOR inside cleaning of Miss B.  The mechanic had left the "dog house" off (it's inside and covers the engine) so his yard cats got in and had a "marking" party all over the dash and left cat hair everywhere.  But, she's cleaned, scrubbed, vacuumed, disinfected and woodwork polished and she's ready to roll when we are.  So he charged us 2000 plus our initial 1000 and left us with a major cleaning job.  So much for having "friends" do work for you. :angry:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

While we wait for flood waters up in south Carolina to recede we are re-working the garden.  Dug up our six sweet potato plants today.  Got a big old tote full of huge sweet potatoes!  Of course, we have lots of volunteers to help us eat them.  We are thinking of putting in another raised bed (6 x36) because the vining things took up so much space!  

We are putting in the fall/winter garden.  Broccoli, Brussels Spruts, Cabbage, radishes, beets and lettuce (2 kinds) so far.  Tomorrow we will go rake the sweet potato patch smooth (soil got turned whist digging, of course) and decide what to put in.  I'd like to try some snap peas among other things.  Thinking cool weather tolerant things, of course.  Maybe I'll try that test package of spinach the seed company gave me & see what happens.  Wish I had some orache, but the only kind I could find was the burgundy, and I prefer the green version.

I think tomorrow I'll get out the dehydrator and start some sweet potato chips.  The nice thing about a surplus of potatoes is that I can experiment with recipes.  I'll dehydrate some, too.  Mary does not eat them, but I do, and I don't mind dehydrated ones for storing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

• Like 4

Dehydrated sweet potato slices is Koa's favorite treat.  Started her on them early.  She loves to eat the baked skins after we eat the insides too.  Not raw tho.  I'll never forget harvesting sweet potatoes from Darlene's garden after the MrsS Gathering folks went home.  Pick up a sweet potato, gather a handful of brass.  Repeat.  We'd been practicing near the taters and the brass ejected into the mess of vines and such.  A double harvest...  :lol: 

MtRider  :yum3:  ....y'all are doing amazing things with first year gardens in new location!!!!  :thumbs:  :thumbs: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mt_Rider said:

Pick up a sweet potato, gather a handful of brass.  Repeat.  We'd been practicing near the taters and the brass ejected into the mess of vines and such.  A double harvest...  :lol: 

Sounds like my kind of harvest, indeed.  I'd be digging out my reloading equipment & casting bullets to "preserve" the shiny parts. 

We are having fun discovering what grows well here, what needs different treatment, and EXPECIALLY we are looking forward to winter gardening.  For the life of us we cant figure out why more folks don't try it, but maybe we will learn it won't work.  I doubt that, though, I suspect its more what you choose to plant.  I notice my southern friends don't seem to like the brassicas as much as we do, and they purport to grow well in cool weather.  Kale is delicious - and I've even harvested it through snow drifts!  Starting LOTS of kale here, it should be very productive.  In the spring I'll need to pick up extra cool weather garden seeds for the fall garden though, 'cause all the seeds have disappeared from the garden displays and have been replaced with Halloween decorations....sigh.....

Today I made a delicious 'end of the garden' hash with the mornings pickings from the slowed down garden....a medium white tater, sliced sweet potatoes (the longer skinny ones look prettiest), a couple sliced okra pods,  a sliced up sweet banana pepper, all sautéed nice & slow in some margarine until soft and golden.  The dogs were drooling, but I  only shared a few slices of sweet potato.  One of the things I delight in is the eclectic mixes I get to make when I cook up the harvest.  Not enough to pickle?  I make hash, fried rice or stir-fry depending on what I hanker after.   

I made refrigerator pickles from some of my purslane that 'escaped' from the planter box into the lawn.  Mary was startled when I told her "don't throw those weeds away!"  She does not eat weeds, but she doesn't know what she is missing, either.  They pickled up nicely, but I think I'll pickle just the stems next time.  They hold up and are crisper than the leaves.  I'll save those leaves for cooking in a 'mix' of veggies that needs a shot of lemon flavor and green color.  Mmmmmm, purslane.  I'll be saving some seeds just in case it does not return on its own.  And yes, the orange blooming one was a nice colorful window box plant - the blooms are much bigger & brighter than the wild stuff.  So I take back my incredulous snickers when I first saw them selling one of my favorite "weeds" for landscaping at Walmart.

• Like 5
On 9/22/2018 at 3:56 AM, kappydell said:

While we wait for flood waters up in south Carolina to recede we are re-working the garden.  Dug up our six sweet potato plants today.  Got a big old tote full of huge sweet potatoes!  Of course, we have lots of volunteers to help us eat them.  We are thinking of putting in another raised bed (6 x36) because the vining things took up so much space!  

We are putting in the fall/winter garden.  Broccoli, Brussels Spruts, Cabbage, radishes, beets and lettuce (2 kinds) so far.  Tomorrow we will go rake the sweet potato patch smooth (soil got turned whist digging, of course) and decide what to put in.  I'd like to try some snap peas among other things.  Thinking cool weather tolerant things, of course.  Maybe I'll try that test package of spinach the seed company gave me & see what happens.  Wish I had some orache, but the only kind I could find was the burgundy, and I prefer the green version.

I think tomorrow I'll get out the dehydrator and start some sweet potato chips.  The nice thing about a surplus of potatoes is that I can experiment with recipes.  I'll dehydrate some, too.  Mary does not eat them, but I do, and I don't mind dehydrated ones for storing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

You know they dry better if cooked first, right?  Also, has Mary eaten the white and the purple kinds?

A GREAT day but waaay too short.   D and her sister were first cousins to my mom and her 2 siblings.  Spent much of their childhood together.  Then cousins moved away and they lost contact for 40 yrs.  Somehow they got back in touch and we had a surprise reunion of those 5 cousins here 20 years ago.  For my parent's 50th anniversary.  Those 5 cousins talked non-stop for 4 days...didn't want to leave.  My mom has been in touch since but one by one they have passed.  Now D from WA and my mom are the last.  They write and call but haven't seen each other in person for this past 20 yrs. 

Until .....the daughter of D's sister [M] decided that she and her Aunt D have to take a road trip.  They've been to many places including the old places in Iowa where the cousins grew up.  Today they arrived at my folks' house.  It was so good to see Aunt D again. 

M and I had never met.  We are cousins...maybe 3rd cousins?  We share the same GrGrandfather.  :shrug:  We had a great time getting to know each other....finding commonalities, for sure.  We'd heard about each other...and I'd met her mother 20 yrs ago before she passed.  I hope we can stay in contact.  The hours passed quickly and they had to get thru the mountains to the next stop on their tour.  They are heading west towards home but still have many stops.  For 90 yrs old, Aunt D is doing quite well.....tho our high altitude and stairs were a challenge.  Offered her some bottled O2 but she just got settled and didn't do the stairs again til they had to leave. 

MtRider  ....so MANY family events recently....and one more BIG reunion still to come!  :wub:  :amen:  :happy0203:  ...... :offtobed:  

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

CG I can well imagine you can taste them , did not know they were consumable!

Mt_Rider. I received a message from a cousin that my first cousins wanted to call and talk to me. I still have not given permission because I do not know what they want. 40 years earlier they left on the day of my Mother’s funeral and I never saw or heard from them until now. As children we were always together until our early teens. Then their mother forbade them to play with us. We worked for our living from our early teens and they lived in the lap of luxury. Now their parents are dead,

so what do I know ? They are near strangers to me, somehow I do not think they want to apologize.

• Sad 4
23 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Yes....watch out for those crazy drivers and armadillos...

MtRider  :wave:

Armadillo.....  I actually saw a squished one on the side of the road!  

Home safe, now the cleaning begins. 

• Like 3

That's sad, Twilight.  I'm trying to get to know our first cousins and their kids back in Iowa.  We didn't see much of each other...didn't live close by.  One reason they want to meet is to find out any family history, particularly medical history.  We've unearthed some important information on that already.  But it's hard cuz they are still in the workforce and busy.  I only do email...unless someone calls me.  I like phones but don't have cell service = free "long-distance calling". 

Could you go thru someone else to determine intent and...adult character of your cousins?  Sort of ...get their references first?  A great relative is a grande thing but a bad relative can be a NIGHTMARE!  Yeah, I got those too...

Whew, tired today.  The short-lived heat meltdown in the middle of socializing yesterday didn't help...  :knary:  My newly-met cousin knew what to do cuz she gets severe overheating too but for different reasons.  'Course I had all my gel packs/ice pack/Chilly Towel {she uses that product too}....my dad finally got the fan on...  Cleared it up quickly. 

MtRider  ...weather is turning odd today.  Gotta go take a look outside.  :unsure:  And at Doppler Radar...

• Like 1