MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

COVID-19 and Shortages

I’m figuring, made in China, no quality control, knock off products. 

Don’t cancel, just yet.  Replaced my dry good lids with those, washed the “authentic” lids.  We don’t want to take the chance the knock offs don’t seal. Funny thing, I have gotten the generic, Great Value lids at WM, yes, made in America, and some of them were sealed to the jar.  I had put them on when we were hitting high temps here.  I’m confident they should be fine for canning.  Got the other batch, regular lids, today.  Not crushed and I didn’t find any with any major faults.  Still, I will be cautious if I need them for canning.  

Talking with our market, he goes to estate sales, mentioned he finds unopened boxes of jars , all the time.  DH told him we’d take them.  

• Like 4

My MN friend made her Walmart pick-up order this week.  On two items, it listed her brand out of stock.  So she chose a different brand.  When she picked it up, she noted that they were out of the 2nd brand.......and substituted the brand she originally wanted.  Weird....but she's happy.  On two other items, the size she wanted wasn't available.  They gave her a larger size for the price of smaller.  :shrug:  Alrighty then! 

MtRider   ....shopping is getting to be quite the adventure!  :shopping: 

• Like 3
 If you bought canning jar LIDS off of Amazon, OPEN them up (ALL of them) and make sure they are the real thing and undamaged! Copied from Sutton's Daze.

Heads up folks! Community member Angie shared her story for all of us to learn. Leisa, after watching your lid shortage video I went to my pantry to look things over. A couple of months ago I bought 4 dozen regular lids on Amazon (3rd party) & 4 dozen wide mouth lids. I was grateful to get them thinking this fall I would can some meat. I put them away because my life is busy right now going to and fro out of town caring for my mother. I decided to get them out and look at them. I was so angry. I will send a picture of what I received. They were in original ball boxes, but were NOT ball lids. They are crap lids. Feel free to post this to your page to warn others.

Show less

QkeOSKedhsu6ngt31bng3MJp7aDpCsL-yEt2u30U

• Sad 2

Someone I pay attention to said, " I'm hearing warnings and seeing signs in unlikely places."

The fall/winter garden plants at Lowes and Home Depot are scant and sad.  Start your own winter garden if you can, even if it's only sprouts on the kitchen counter.  Anyone who can even partially step back from the food market will leave more for the people who must get everything from the store.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Yes, we do need to get some type of winter garden going, but with DH now in both heart rehab and phy. therapy. I am not sure if I am going to be able to get a winter crop going.  I wasn't able to do a spring garden this year. But I am ok with what I have and only having to fill in the low spots. Going to ledil's tomorrow to pick up some meat.  I need to get more meat canned for this winter. Will look to see what else they have I could use. Trying to get it all together so I will only have to go out every three months for RX's and maybe eggs at the same time since the pharm. is in a store.  Just one store to go to and home. Anything else can be ordered on line. 

• Like 2
On 9/26/2020 at 10:34 AM, TheCG said:

Hmmmph.  I ordered powdered butter on Amazon.  They sent it in a plastic canister wrapped in a plastic bag.  At some point it was dropped or mashed and the seal was blown out.  They're refunding it, but I have to ask...

Would you just repackage it and use it anyway?

If you are refunded and don't have to send it back, I would use it. That's based on my experience of living in third-world countries. We ate whatever was put on our plates (as long as it wasn't still crawling). If you're hungry enough, you'll eat it. I would suggest using that butter first, even if it would have to be done in cooking only.

I remember when we had bugs in the oatmeal in SE Asia and ......................  :laughkick:

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Homesteader said:

If you are refunded and don't have to send it back, I would use it. That's based on my experience of living in third-world countries. We ate whatever was put on our plates (as long as it wasn't still crawling). If you're hungry enough, you'll eat it. I would suggest using that butter first, even if it would have to be done in cooking only.

I remember when we had bugs in the oatmeal in SE Asia and ......................  :laughkick:

Free protein.

• Haha 1