MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

COVID-19 and Shortages

The Kraft mac &cheese I’m looking at is specifically the gluten free kind that they JUST came out with. The price is supposed to be $2.49 and it should NOT be included in any sales.  I went back yesterday. They “fixed” it by taking off the $.99 sale sign...meaning it was still marked as $1.29 instead of $2.49. So, another 12 boxes for the pantry. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
18 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Would I repackage it and use it? Depends. Do you have to return it? If so I'd send it back for a new one.

If you are getting a refund and not returning it and the seal was broken but the powder was still contained in the bag then I think I'd repackage it and use it. 

I don’t have to send it back, and only a bit came out in the bag. 

So: vacuum-seal in Mason jars?  Would I need oxygen absorbers?

You won't need an oxygen absorber if you vacuum seal it. Do you know about powdery stuff getting sucked up in your sealer and potentially ruining it? There is a bowl like thing you can buy where you can put your jar in it to safely vacuum seal powdery items  But most people use either a coffee filter or a cupcake liner over the powder stuff before putting the lid on and sealing it. You might have already known that. Just making sure. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

You won't need an oxygen absorber if you vacuum seal it. Do you know about powdery stuff getting sucked up in your sealer and potentially ruining it? There is a bowl like thing you can buy where you can put your jar in it to safely vacuum seal powdery items  But most people use either a coffee filter or a cupcake liner over the powder stuff before putting the lid on and sealing it. You might have already known that. Just making sure. 

I have a little electric vacuum sealer designed to be used with the canning lids.  We'll see how that works out.  If it looks like it's starting to lift up the powder, I'll find something to stick over it.

• Like 4
On 9/25/2020 at 10:31 AM, Homesteader said:

We got lost in the national forest last week, but came out to get some fishing bait at the local sporting shop.  :laughkick: I was talking to the owner while standing in front of the gun display. He said that he's not been able to get ammo in months and now can't get guns.   ;)

Exactly.  The panic rush buying, started when Covid first hit.  At first, it was casual, then, it went to constant, then, it went to panic buying.  People are calling constantly, sounding panicked.  Our hands are tied, waiting for our bulk orders to come in, we ordered in July.  Prices on what is available have doubled, tripled, and are still rising... if you can find anything available.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I passed along the "intel" from all of us here, to my good friend in MN.  She's mostly been restocking her usual weekly orders by using the Walmart pick-up service.  She hasn't been going into many stores so I wanted to tip her on the shortages we're currently seeing. 

Well, she acted on the data and discovered this morning that her Walmart in a small town in MN did not have the Progresso soups she likes.  Did not have canned tomato sauce with basil, garlic for the chili she makes.  She's going to hit up the Petsmart for quantities of all the things her cats need.  Increase orders of paper products and her very elderly mom's "Depends".  She had trouble with that necessary product when COVID hit back in March.  She uses "puppy pads" to protect her mom's bedding because she couldn't find the human version of "chucks".  She likes puppy pads better, actually. 

Since she rarely goes into the stores, she hadn't actually seen the empty shelves.  An occasional substitute or item missing from her order did not signal to her that a revival of the scarcity was happening.  She's going to squirrel away a lot more essentials quickly.

MtRider  ...thanks to all who share what shortages you're seeing! 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Since she rarely goes into the stores, she hadn't actually seen the empty shelves.  An occasional substitute or item missing from her order did not signal to her that a revival of the scarcity was happening.  She's going to squirrel away a lot more essentials quickly.

I try to tell my mom of the bare spots on the shelves. She just doesn't understand since she stopped shopping last year. When she runs out of something at our place, she thinks I can just drive down to the store and pick it up. Since I don't wear a mask, I generally stay out of the stores.  :hi:

• Like 3

So glad you were able to warn your friend in time. Even more glad she listened. It is a beautiful thing when we can all come together and share information and compare notes so we can plan ahead for our families. I can see how she wouldn't notice certain items missing since she was getting a close substitute.  

It is a shock when you go in a store the first time after a few weeks and see the empty shelves. Especially after all of this time. Americans aren't used to seeing that. The sight of an empty shelf can give you a dose of reality really fast.

I'm going to get another pack of Depends (or what ever brand I got). I don't use them but you can bet that if/when I ever do that's the exact time there will be a shortage of them.  If I never need them they can always be donated. 

• Like 4

I got a couple packs of Depends from the thrift store back in Feb.  It was JustInCase we both got very sick and couldn't make it to the bathroom.  Have bedside commode in basement too.  Getting sick at the same time in January was eye-opener. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

She's going to hit up the Petsmart for quantities of all the things her cats need.  Increase orders of paper products and her very elderly mom's "Depends".  She had trouble with that necessary product when COVID hit back in March.  She uses "puppy pads" to protect her mom's bedding because she couldn't find the human version of "chucks".  She likes puppy pads better, actually. 

I just recently found out that "Depends" can be covered by Medicare, Part D. You need an Rx from a doctor, but then you can order them online and have them shipped to you. There are not very many places that provide them, but this is the one I use: https://www.byramhealthcare.com/

I hope this works out for you. :thumbs:

ETA: they also have the bed pads, etc.

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Thanks 2

When I go to grandchildren's baseball/softball games and there is no restroom close by I sometimes wear Depends.  Yes, I learned that lesson the hard way!  :shakinghead:  BUT I don't buy Depends, I got mine at Walgreen's.  What a price difference.  I only have one package on hand but think I'll buy more thinking about the shortages.  They would be awfully nice to have if you're with others and there's no bathroom available.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Midnight.  I don't know if she's aware of that but I'll pass it along!  :thumbs:  Her mom is over 100 yrs old so I think she might qualify.

The last few times I did the flight to Maui, I wore a heavy pad.  Often there is turbulence.  It means you're not allowed to get out of your seat AND it means you're bouncing around getting more and more uncomfortable.  I never had to actually use it but was glad for the 'insurance policy'.  :rolleyes: 

MtRider  :shopping: 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Thanks, Midnight.  I don't know if she's aware of that but I'll pass it along!  :thumbs:  Her mom is over 100 yrs old so I think she might qualify.

The last few times I did the flight to Maui, I wore a heavy pad.  Often there is turbulence.  It means you're not allowed to get out of your seat AND it means you're bouncing around getting more and more uncomfortable.  I never had to actually use it but was glad for the 'insurance policy'.  :rolleyes: 

Heavy pad on any long trip, car or otherwise.  I sure have needed it.  You know how you're okay sitting or walking, but when you get up, or sit down, just that motion?  

• Like 4

Walmart was completely out of cornstarch type baby powder and so was Dollar General.  Both were also out of Store brand milk of Magnesia and Walmart didn't have any Phillip's MOM either.  There were masks, but at what I consider price gouging prices.  

• Like 2

This is an interesting article.  Sounds like some stores are backing off the Just In Time policy ...somewhat.  Mainly they're saying they are STILL playing catch-up...

Quote....Associated Food Stores :  “We will never again operate our business as unprepared for something like this,”

Quote:  ...said to be storing 10% to 15% more inventory than it did before the pandemic to ensure it won’t run out of fast-selling items.

Quote:  ... food producers have also revealed that they too are stocking up on their most popular products.

Quote...Hormel:  still making "significant increases" in some of its core center store items such as pepperoni [for Jeepers], bacon, SPAM, as the company seeks to mitigate the risk of disruptions from a potential second wave of the virus.

Quote...Campbell's Soup focused on stocking up on its soup brands as well as popular snacks like Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Crackers and Kettle and Cape Cod potato chips ahead of the winter season and that it will likely be fully restored within the first half of the year.

Quote...Walmart also acknowledged the impact the pandemic has had on inventory, noting that it has been working to build up its grocery section after starting out from a "very lean position."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/grocery-stores-food-producers-beef-up-inventory-for-potential-second-wave-of-covid-19-holiday-shopping-rush

• Thanks 5
12 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Heavy pad on any long trip, car or otherwise.  I sure have needed it.  You know how you're okay sitting or walking, but when you get up, or sit down, just that motion?  

Yes! Sometimes I stand up and wait a couple of seconds before I start walking. Then make a mad dash to the bathroom. 

Mt, Rider, thanks for the pepperoni update. I knew it wasn't just my imagination. I don't think too many people eat pepperoni, onion and mustard sandwiches so my big slices are probably at the bottom of Hormel's to-do list. 

• Like 4

Might be a good idea for me to add depends to my stock. I use pads now and now DH is having to use the ones for men because of the strong fluid pills he takes. So I am stocked for men, but not for women.  Something to check into next time I go to store.  Just another old age issue to deal with. :bounce: Gotta stop bouncing around like that. :laughkick:Laughing to hard also. 

Most of the grocery stores now only carry 3 days of food because of inventory. They stopped stocking the stock rooms like they used to because it would tie up money I guess.  So I am glad to know they are going to keep a much better inventory of food now. And other non food items as well I hope.

• Like 1

Well......I hope they follow thru....  They did take a financial hit with COVID ...even if they were able to stay open thru the lock-down.  But Just-In-Time stocking is a financial decision.  If keeping more stocked ahead than they've been doing will make financial sense....they will do it.  If COVID catastrophe fades from the memory of the money-counters, they will slide back to more slim margins again. 

MtRider ....my theory of grocery economics.  :lol: 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Well......I hope they follow thru....  They did take a financial hit with COVID ...even if they were able to stay open thru the lock-down.  But Just-In-Time stocking is a financial decision.  If keeping more stocked ahead than they've been doing will make financial sense....they will do it.  If COVID catastrophe fades from the memory of the money-counters, they will slide back to more slim margins again. 

MtRider ....my theory of grocery economics.  :lol: 

All of my classes in Marketing says that you're spot on about your grocery economics.  :hi:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am elated. Told DH about the canning lid shortage.  He’s been surfing the net... came and showed me the TSC Site, asking if it was a good price.  We were going there anyway for a few things.  I got 7 boxes of Ball lids & rings, (I left one box that was open), 84 in total, and got their last two 1/2 gallon jars, amber.  :hapydancsmil: DH called me over to tell me he found natural Hog Casings for making sausage.  I’ve been looking for them for ages. :cele:  I will check WM for anything about canning, when I do our monthly shopping later this week. I don’t think ppl have realized it yet here.  :pray:

• Like 5

Alright Mr. Annarchy! That is an awesome find. You are right about people not finding things in unusual places. Big box stores and Amazon is the first, and sometimes only place they look for something. I found (by luck) tons of lids this spring at my little local pharmacy. I just happened to walk past them while in there looking for zinc tablets. In total, I probably got a couple of cases of both sizes of Ball lids, a little at a time. They have been out since June now. 

• Like 3

It is now looking like there is a shortage of spices.  Went to Harris Teeter today and they were out of a lot of those. Going to check Food Lion tomorrow as I was looking for steak seasoning. Harris Teeter did not have it. If  Food Lion is short then I will know there is a shortage as these two stores order from different warehouses or so I am told. They did have a lot of TP and paper towels in stock today but can goods were still low. They were stocking up on vitamins when I went to pick up the RX though. But couldn't get down the isle to see if they had any zinc. They had the isles blocked with baskets and lots of people stocking today. 

Still waiting on my canning jars and the tattler lids. i am going to try to call them to see where my orders stand.