MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

COVID-19 and Shortages

I think I know why the linen shelves are emptying out. They have been saying the best material to make homemade masks from is from sheets and especially pillow cases. Any time something is mentioned on TV it immediately starts selling out. 

I think canning supplies will be worrisome too. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I think I know why the linen shelves are emptying out. They have been saying the best material to make homemade masks from is from sheets and especially pillow cases. Any time something is mentioned on TV it immediately starts selling out. 

You can buy inexpensive pillowcases at most of the dollar-type stores.

• Like 2

Midnightmon, good idea. I'm not sure how well stocked they are either. I remember they said to be sure the linen had a certain thread count. Probably 200 or above. I don't remember the number. Definitely not 180 though. 

Personally, I won't buy thread count under 300 because lower than that the sheets tend to pill really badly after a few washings and are uncomfortable.  

• Like 1

Things gone missing from shelves that I am just now noticing....

bicycles

games like cards, board games, etc

puzzles

wood burning kits

kids pottery wheels

arts and craft stuff period!

home exercise equipment i.e. free weights, treadmills, yoga mats, the bands used for stretching, oh and those yoga balls.

• Like 1

Some old friends who once prided themselves on their hard-drinking ways are now moaning about the wife using Everclear and aloe juice to make hand-sanitizer so they can go shopping.

DS1 and I go shopping bare handed, put on gloves when we get back into the car, and peel them off once we can get back home to wash our hands.  If we go more than one place, we can wear more than one pair of gloves.  Sure beats the sanitizer dance.  Especially since I lack the energy to go six different places like I did when I was younger.   Several times now, we've peeled off the gloves inside out and washed them to re-wear without tearing them.  It's not like they have to be aseptic to get us home, you know?  Some of these are probably on their third wearing.

Because I haven't seen the three-box bundles of these gloves anytime lately, and I suspect it will be a long time before anyone sees them again.

• Like 3

I think some of the problems with empty shelves is because shipments aren't being sent. Not necessarily because of hoarders. Although they don't help the situation. 

It's been so long since I was in Wal-Mart I don't even know what is in short supply now. I keep meaning to go but I get distracted. Plus I've shopped on line for most things I wanted except groceries. My grocery store is up the street and small enough that it hasn't been a problem. Yet. 

My Everclear is for disinfecting and passing someone out for surgery. That stuff is serious! 

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 3

Friend in MN...outside of Twin Cities...found boxes of nitrile gloves as she picked up a 'script for her 105 yr old mom.  It's a sign of the times that she had to ask:  Are those for sale?  Can I buy 2 boxes?  :happy0203:     Helping her mom, who lives at home with her, requires a lot of nursing care home type things.  On the search for more Depends and Ensure.  Doesn't want to fall behind in her supplies for her mom. 

MtRider  .....so far DH has been able to find almost all on our lists from 2 households.  But then, we've had our supplies before this started too.

• Like 2

euphrasyne,   We don't live that far apart from each other and you are so right about the empty shelves. I went to Food Lion the other day where I am, no cleaning products of any type, no dish detergent to speak of. Laundry detergent was almost gone, no paper products of anything.  Can goods slim pickings. Meat was slim pickings though I was able to get them to bring me ribs from the back that just came off the truck. They were stocking but not much of anything was being put on shelves. They got in 8- 5lbs. of plain flour and that was all they had. They put that on shelf. I wanted bread flour to send granddaughter but they said they didn't get any in. Someone in there while I was waiting on ribs wanted chicken wings. They came back out and said they didn't get any in. 

I have heard in some other states they are now fully stocked and that the East Coast was still hurting for food. This should tell us something about how the food is distributed to the different areas of the country.  

I am waiting till Wed. morning and going to Kroger and check them out.  Hoping they will be half way stocked as they claim. We will see. 

• Like 3

Littlesister, the Harborview Kroger in Suffolk usually has meat in better stock than the rest and it was on sale last time I went.  I'm using the BJs at Chesapeake square for laundry needs.  I also managed to score some Clorox tilex mold and mildew cleaner from BJs.  Aldi's has a limited variety of vegetables, but they have mostly been in stock there and they have regular flour and sugar always.

I usually just buy all purpose flour and add wheat gluten if I need to.  The ratio is 1 t gluten per 1c all purpose flour to make bread flour.  I hate having specialty flours and prefer to just make everything from basics like all purpose, cornmeal, gluten, flax, baking powder/soda, etc.  I do buy whole wheat and rye upon occasion.   The gluten gives you a better crumb if you are making sandwich bread, but isn't necessary if you are doing most white breads, artisanal, or sourdough.  It is mostly useful when making wheat or rye bread.  The gluten content of white flour is already higher than that of other types.

• Like 1
Guest Joyfilled

Thanks for the tip on the gluten....I just recently made sandwich bread, and it was good, but crumbly. I'm not sure I have gluten....I hope I can find some! 

On 4/27/2020 at 7:11 AM, euphrasyne said:

Littlesister, the Harborview Kroger in Suffolk usually has meat in better stock than the rest and it was on sale last time I went.  I'm using the BJs at Chesapeake square for laundry needs.  I also managed to score some Clorox tilex mold and mildew cleaner from BJs.  Aldi's has a limited variety of vegetables, but they have mostly been in stock there and they have regular flour and sugar always.

I usually just buy all purpose flour and add wheat gluten if I need to.  The ratio is 1 t gluten per 1c all purpose flour to make bread flour.  I hate having specialty flours and prefer to just make everything from basics like all purpose, cornmeal, gluten, flax, baking powder/soda, etc.  I do buy whole wheat and rye upon occasion.   The gluten gives you a better crumb if you are making sandwich bread, but isn't necessary if you are doing most white breads, artisanal, or sourdough.  It is mostly useful when making wheat or rye bread.  The gluten content of white flour is already higher than that of other types.

Thanks euphrasyne. DH and I was planning a BJ's trip before he ended up in hospital. We have a Kroger here on College drive so going to try to make that Thursday or Friday before DH starts phy. therapy.  My friend and I are about to go after doctors at hosp. for not checking out his liver. Time for the fight to get them to do it right.  I want a consult with the hepatic doctor before he is discharged.

• 2 months later...

Took this from a small business owner's post of things she's saying to customers now:

Do you have any change I can buy because there is a shortage of coins right now and my bank is limiting me.

I know it's frustrating but we can't get any seed either.

I'm sorry you can't find chicken feeding and watering supplies but there is a plastic shortage.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Confused 1

In Ohio there is still no bathroom spray cleaner, hand sanitizer, masks, cleaning wipes, alcohol and zinc tablets. You can't buy them anywhere. Period. Shortages run in canned veggies and especially frozen veggies.

In Indiana no bathroom spray cleaner, cleaning wipes, alcohol or zinc tablets anywhere. Their canned veggies were low but they had everything. The frozen veggies were VERY low. DIL said it was hit or miss on them. Toilet paper and paper towels were usually only available in the mornings. They had plenty of masks with no limit. Off brand (to me) hand sanitizer was normal but a limit of one.

For what it's worth, I don't spend a lot of time shopping and only went to Wal-Mart one time in Indiana. So I'm going by that one trip and what my DIL told me. I stopped in Target for one item so I didn't really look around. But I did notice they had one of those signs on the floor (like a 'caution wet floor' signs) as you walked in the door telling what they had in stock in one column and what they didn't have in another column.

You didn't have to wear a mask in Wal-Mart or Target. Just social distancing. Wal-Mart was still counting people to let inside but Target didn't. It was very lax over there. Mostly older people wearing a mask. I did! Maybe that's why it's spreading in the younger folks now?

BTW, fresh fruit and veggies are still plentiful in both states. The corn and soy bean crops looked good in Indy. A lot better than last year because of the flooding last year. Also if you really need zinc it's in Zicam and there are zinc drops still available.

And, I eat ramen noodles maybe once a month. I like the ones in a big bowl because, well, I don't have to wash a bowl when I'm finished. I know, I know. Don't judge. Anyway, they have been out of those bowls for months. Indiana didn't have any either. I like the Maruchan brand the best because they are wrapped with plastic wrap around the bowl. The other brand, Nissin, doesn't. I feel like they might be a little more hygienic. Who knows. They all taste the same to me so I go with what I think might be cleaner from a dusty warehouse.

• Like 3

Well, bicycles are non existent around here. You might find like bikes for 4-6 year olds, but anything bigger you are out of luck. Potting soil went fast along with seeds and fruit plants. 

Things on store shelves still hard to find:

canned goods

staples like flour, corn meal, baking power, yeast. oh and powdered milk. I live in a large Hispanic area so the momma's around here do a lot of cooking from scratch.

Meat but not as bad as it was. You just have to shop early in the day. Still hardly any reduced meat. And the prices...OH MY!

Cleaning supplies

fishing and hunting equipment. As well as camping equipment..

Dry beans and rice have started coming back

Good News! We are getting an Aldi's in the next few weeks. They have been working on it and are in the finishing stages. Hopefully by the end of July we will have a grand opening.

• Like 5

I am very happy that I was set up as a customer with Butcher Box and kept a decent stash before any of this hit.  The only thing I had problems getting from them was chicken.  We could still get beef and pork without a problem.

The only things I'm still seeing an issue getting in the stores are the random things that I don't think about documenting.  I tend to be looking for very specific brand-name items due to everything having to be gluten-free.  For a bit, we couldn't find the bread we like (but we had a small stash, and I keep 2 bags of bread mix for the bread maker just in case).  There are things that I don't know if they can't get them or if they just stopped carrying them (Nature's Hollow Sugar-Free Honey is one thing I was looking for on my last trip).

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 3

Went to Walmart today.  Was looking for juggling balls (don't ask), so I was over in the toys and sporting goods.

They took out the bike racks.  Like, there's a gaping hole there, and they haven't refilled it with anything yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Wow TheCG. Just wow. Thanks for the report. 

If you can't find balls to juggle, you might try in the ironing, clothes hangers, laundry basket aisle. They have those felted dryer balls. About the right size. Don't know if they are heavy enough though. Then again, you might want something soft if you are just starting out.They are a pretty good size and I think mine came in a two pack for about $5.00. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

Wow TheCG. Just wow. Thanks for the report. 

If you can't find balls to juggle, you might try in the ironing, clothes hangers, laundry basket aisle. They have those felted dryer balls. About the right size. Don't know if they are heavy enough though. Then again, you might want something soft if you are just starting out.They are a pretty good size and I think mine came in a two pack for about $5.00. 

I found a pack of 4 hacky sacks for $2 in the party aisle. :-)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Guess what?  I went to restock the shelves for my beloved guppies, and fish meds are in Real Short Supply out there.  The hundred-pill/hundred-capsule bottles of Fish Pen and Fish Mox are not available at any of my usual go-to places.  

(She casts a worried eye at the guppies, who are currently on a round of amoxicillin.)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hey ladies! 

Wondering what your shelves look like now. Are you pretty well back to normal? I'll see if I can share some pics, Walmart and Sam's club, within Aug. 

Be safe out there, especially those of you who live in the city! Crazy times we live in. 

IMG_20200823_171524340.jpg

IMG_20200802_154911251_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200823_171516629.jpg

• Thanks 3

My mom and DH report all is fairly normal but for the usual:  Lysol spray/liquidBounty full-sheet towels [my mom doesn't like the half sheets] Clorox or any wipes, some soups Ivory dish soap

These have been our repeating ones....DH always looks for these.  Sometimes they have one or two of an item.  Nothing we can't live without. 

He goes again tomorrow.....we'll see.

MtRider  :shopping: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1