MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Been buying raw milk for a couple of weeks....

....and having a good time making stuff! I've been making butter (and buttermilk), yogurt, fresh cheese, and am attempting to make sour cream. This week I'm going to try to make mozzarella and ricotta. I'd love to learn how to make hard cheeses, too. We can't buy a milking cow right now, but hopefully at some point, soon (maybe next spring???). In the meantime, though, I'm learning as much as I can!

Also, I found someone that will give me sourdough starter. I've been looking for a while now, and haven't found anyone that makes it, so I'm very excited!! I can't wait to learn what all I can do with it. Busy time in the kitchen, and I'm so thankful for it! :)

• Like 9

Good for you, Joyfilled.  I loved having our cows and coats over the years and learning to make all the wonderful dairy products you mention.  Our jersey/guernsey cow used to give five gallon at a milking and even with a family of three teens and half a dozen of their friends I couldn’t use it up fast enough.  Hard cheese, soft cheese, cottage cheese, all manner of cheese, yogurt, butter,  pudding pies, gravy, and IN EVERYTHING! :happy0203:.  Like you, learning and experimenting was half the fun. Please do take us on that journey with you.  For me it will be like going down memory lane…  :hug3::hug3::hug3:  

Have you made vinegar cheese yet?  It is sooooo easy.  I make it still even with store bought milk ( but it’s better with fresh raw).  Heat the milk to almost a simmer.  190° on a dairy thermometer or just to where it has a froth or tiny bubbles starting around the edge of the pan.  Turn off heat and slowly trickle in a 1/4 cup vinegar stirring the whole time.  Keep stirring. First the milk will be a bit thickened, then it will turn almost slimy and a bit ropy ( the kids loved watching this and going eeeewww) then curds will occur as the milk solids form the cheese in the yellowish liquid whey.  You break them up with your spoon into cottage cheese-like consistency and then set the pan, cheese whey and all, into cold water in the sink.  Stir often as it cools to ensure the curds don’t stick back together but if they do just break them up again.  The slow cooling allows the curd to cook just enough to be a soft but firm consistency.  Then you strain it through cheese cloth using the whey for making bread, or feeding it to the animals.   ( note, this whey does not work well in fermenting pickles, etc like non vinegar cheese whey does)  Salt the cheese if desired. We eat this like cottage cheese or mix it with herbs and Mayo for a spread or dip.  :feedme:  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
18 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Joyfilled, you really are a Joy!

Be sure to share your adventures with us. I think I want to be you when I grow up. :D

BTW, how is your daughter doing? Loving her role as a new wife I'll bet!  

Thanks, Jeepers!! :bighug2: I find I have so much I want to do....but only so many hours in the day, eh? And naps. I like occasional naps, too. :happy0203:

DD is doing well! Her DH just got a new job here in our small town, working for our local internet company. He gets paid more and he really enjoys what he's doing! We're all very thankful. He's continuing his studies, and eventually wants to be a pastor. Praying God guides their path! :pray:

• Like 6
12 hours ago, Mother said:

Good for you, Joyfilled.  I loved having our cows and coats over the years and learning to make all the wonderful dairy products you mention.  Our jersey/guernsey cow used to give five gallon at a milking and even with a family of three teens and half a dozen of their friends I couldn’t use it up fast enough.  Hard cheese, soft cheese, cottage cheese, all manner of cheese, yogurt, butter,  pudding pies, gravy, and IN EVERYTHING! :happy0203:.  Like you, learning and experimenting was half the fun. Please do take us on that journey with you.  For me it will be like going down memory lane…  :hug3::hug3::hug3:  

Have you made vinegar cheese yet?  It is sooooo easy.  I make it still even with store bought milk ( but it’s better with fresh raw).  Heat the milk to almost a simmer.  190° on a dairy thermometer or just to where it has a froth or tiny bubbles starting around the edge of the pan.  Turn off heat and slowly trickle in a 1/4 cup vinegar stirring the whole time.  Keep stirring. First the milk will be a bit thickened, then it will turn almost slimy and a bit ropy ( the kids loved watching this and going eeeewww) then curds will occur as the milk solids form the cheese in the yellowish liquid whey.  You break them up with your spoon into cottage cheese-like consistency and then set the pan, cheese whey and all, into cold water in the sink.  Stir often as it cools to ensure the curds don’t stick back together but if they do just break them up again.  The slow cooling allows the curd to cook just enough to be a soft but firm consistency.  Then you strain it through cheese cloth using the whey for making bread, or feeding it to the animals.   ( note, this whey does not work well in fermenting pickles, etc like non vinegar cheese whey does)  Salt the cheese if desired. We eat this like cottage cheese or mix it with herbs and Mayo for a spread or dip.  :feedme:  

I thought I would get some good ideas from here! :) I'm excited to keep learning. This coming Friday we're taking a milking class! The people we're buying the milk from are giving it. Actually....it's a 13 year old boy. He was given a cow by his parents (I think), earned enough money to buy a second one. Then he started to sell the milk, and now he's offering milking classes! Smart kid, that one!

That's how I made the cheese! I called it fresh cheese because I have no idea what else to call it. I believe I can use the same method to make cream cheese and cottage cheese, right? I need to make those soon. I'm finding that it's not as hard as I thought it was, just time consuming....and if I plan it right, I should do okay with that, too. Here's hoping I can slowly, but surely, make more and more for ourselves! :cook:

• Like 4

Today I went to a ladies house that sells sourdough bread. She gave me some of her starter!!! I'm beyond excited about that. I've tried making the starter myself a couple of times, but no go. I'm hoping I can do well, but she was so nice, she said she would give me more if something happened to it. I'll let you know how it goes....I've never done it before, so here's hoping!!

• Like 6

Joyfield you are doing great with learning all the new things you are doing. All that will pay off in the end. I really need to get back to learning new things, but the past 3 years has been such a nightmare that I have put so much off I wanted to do and learn. But a new year is dawning, and GS will be out on his own and I can get back to all that. Minus chickens, goats, cows and all the nice animals I would love to have if I had a place to have them. But so much other things to do and learn.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

Joyfield you are doing great with learning all the new things you are doing. All that will pay off in the end. I really need to get back to learning new things, but the past 3 years has been such a nightmare that I have put so much off I wanted to do and learn. But a new year is dawning, and GS will be out on his own and I can get back to all that. Minus chickens, goats, cows and all the nice animals I would love to have if I had a place to have them. But so much other things to do and learn.

There's so much to learn!! And....a lot can be done without living in the country. Soap making, bread making, knitting, sewing....lots of things that don't require farm stuff. I want to do it ALL. Not sure it's a good idea, though....haha! But I'd at least like to give it at try! And...you've had a rough couple of years (well....to some extent we all have!)....take it easy on yourself. :bighug2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Joyfilled said:

I believe I can use the same method to make cream cheese and cottage cheese, right?

Actually, cream cheese and cottage cheese are different from the vinegar cheese, or quark as it’s called in some countries.  Though cream cheese can be made in similar ways.  Cottage cheese is most often made with rennet though it can be made simply by allowing raw milk to curdle naturally and the curd cut and heated to the right consistency, similar to what is done with some hard cheeses.  Much like your sour dough bread or yogurt you can use specific cultures for different types of cheese or you can hope for a natural culture to inoculate the cheese to gain a certain taste or texture.  

Cheese making is way to broad of a subject to write about here but thankfully there is a ton of info on the internet.  I will suggest that if you start by learning the basic of why and how milk becomes other dairy products you will be better able to utilize the milk no matter what the situation.  Let me give you a small example.  Cheese for the most part is curdled milk that is cut and the whey allowed to come out of the curd with a gentle stirring.  Often the curd would be heated in the whey to the texture you need before using it fresh or pressing it for a harder cheese….  Many types of cheese uses rennet to coagulate the milk,  The old fashioned way to get rennet was to kill a young dairy animal that has only had milk to drink and save the lining of the stomach.  That was salted and dried and pieces of it were used in the milk to create curds.  An alternative was to use certain plants, like nettles, though the curd might be different texture.  That is the very basic but it will allow you to understand the reasons for different processes and additions.  

There really is a lot of homesteading that can be done without a farm. There is even ideas for urban and apartment homesteading and they can all be fun to learn. I started out many many mannnnnny years ago learning about the necessary skills and crafts of our ancestor’s daily life.  I am still learning.  :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Mother said:

Actually, cream cheese and cottage cheese are different from the vinegar cheese, or quark as it’s called in some countries.  Though cream cheese can be made in similar ways.  Cottage cheese is most often made with rennet though it can be made simply by allowing raw milk to curdle naturally and the curd cut and heated to the right consistency, similar to what is done with some hard cheeses.  Much like your sour dough bread or yogurt you can use specific cultures for different types of cheese or you can hope for a natural culture to inoculate the cheese to gain a certain taste or texture.  

Cheese making is way to broad of a subject to write about here but thankfully there is a ton of info on the internet.  I will suggest that if you start by learning the basic of why and how milk becomes other dairy products you will be better able to utilize the milk no matter what the situation.  Let me give you a small example.  Cheese for the most part is curdled milk that is cut and the whey allowed to come out of the curd with a gentle stirring.  Often the curd would be heated in the whey to the texture you need before using it fresh or pressing it for a harder cheese….  Many types of cheese uses rennet to coagulate the milk,  The old fashioned way to get rennet was to kill a young dairy animal that has only had milk to drink and save the lining of the stomach.  That was salted and dried and pieces of it were used in the milk to create curds.  An alternative was to use certain plants, like nettles, though the curd might be different texture.  That is the very basic but it will allow you to understand the reasons for different processes and additions.  

There really is a lot of homesteading that can be done without a farm. There is even ideas for urban and apartment homesteading and they can all be fun to learn. I started out many many mannnnnny years ago learning about the necessary skills and crafts of our ancestor’s daily life.  I am still learning.  :D

Sorry, I thought I had replied to this! I have a book about dairy stuff....I can't remember the name of it, but I really should look into it. So much to learn!!! I have a friend that gave me rennet! I would rather not take it from the goats stomach....😅

Thanks for your advice and encouragement!!! :bighug2:

• Like 3

There is a product called Junket that was for making puddings and deserts.  It is rennet and can be used to make cheese.  It’s a whole lot easier than using a calf or kid’s stomach lining for sure.  :grinning-smiley-044:    Have you made labneh with your yogurt yet.  My family loves it.  It makes a great cream cheese substitute.  Yum!  And that’s something anyone can make from pasteurized milk or even easier from yogurt or Greek yogurt.  :happy0203:

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

The key to keeping starter is to use it.   If you go more than 5 days without using it, measure out a cup like you normally would and toss it.   Then do the normal maintenance to it to keep going.  It can also be dehydrated and frozen indefinitely.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have been meaning to get a yeast starter going again for a while. But will keep that on hold for now till the house is fully done and GS is out on his own after first of year. That boy is all boy along with his messes that I have to clean up first thing every morning. It's getting old now. I know his working nights and sleeping days is rough, but he sleeps, eats and works and no time to do anything else. But he could learn to clean up behind himself.  No wonder I'm so tired. He eats dinner in middle of night and just leaves the dishes in sink for me the next morning. Not to mention his bathroom. He's only cleaned it twice since he's been here. So that job is on me.  He best find a wife that will put up with all that mess. Though he says he is never getting married nor having kids. Never say never it might backfire. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
12 hours ago, Mother said:

There is a product called Junket that was for making puddings and deserts.  It is rennet and can be used to make cheese.  It’s a whole lot easier than using a calf or kid’s stomach lining for sure.  :grinning-smiley-044:    Have you made labneh with your yogurt yet.  My family loves it.  It makes a great cream cheese substitute.  Yum!  And that’s something anyone can make from pasteurized milk or even easier from yogurt or Greek yogurt.  :happy0203:

Not sure I've ever heard of it!! I'll have to look it up, because I have yogurt making already, might as well get another use out of it! :happy0203:

• Like 5
9 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

The key to keeping starter is to use it.   If you go more than 5 days without using it, measure out a cup like you normally would and toss it.   Then do the normal maintenance to it to keep going.  It can also be dehydrated and frozen indefinitely.  

I have to admit that I'm pretty intimidated....hubby is going to use our first discard to make waffles tomorrow morning because I can't figure out the bread thing quite yet. Ugh. :scratchhead::(

• Like 5

I’m sure you will find lots of recipes to make it but Labneh is just simply strained yogurt.  I use a fine mesh cheese cloth/gauze that I buy by the yard at fabrics stores instead of the coarser kind often found at grocery stores as the yogurt can sometimes ooze through the latter.  Pour the yogurt in the cloth, gather the four corners together and figure out a way to hang it to allow the whey to drip away from the yogurt as it will start to do.  I like to put mine in the refrigerator to drip but it can sit in a cool place.  I usually just tie my corners around the handle of a wooden spoon and support it across the rim of a container deep enough the yogurt won’t sit in the whey as it drains.  That’s it.  The longer it drips the thicker it becomes.  You basically get greek yogurt first and then a rich thick cheese that forms a ball and peels off the cheesecloth readily. Labneh.  The whey can be used like regular whey in baking of cooking or ??  You will find tons of ways to use the labneh (besides just eating it).  I sometimes add herbs and spices and form it into small balls which I store in olive oil in the refrigerator.

By the way, this can be made with store bought plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt but be sure it doesn’t have a bunch of fillers or gelatins and sugars.  They are made so the whey DOESN’T drain from them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
1 hour ago, Mother said:

I’m sure you will find lots of recipes to make it but Labneh is just simply strained yogurt.  I use a fine mesh cheese cloth/gauze that I buy by the yard at fabrics stores instead of the coarser kind often found at grocery stores as the yogurt can sometimes ooze through the latter.  Pour the yogurt in the cloth, gather the four corners together and figure out a way to hang it to allow the whey to drip away from the yogurt as it will start to do.  I like to put mine in the refrigerator to drip but it can sit in a cool place.  I usually just tie my corners around the handle of a wooden spoon and support it across the rim of a container deep enough the yogurt won’t sit in the whey as it drains.  That’s it.  The longer it drips the thicker it becomes.  You basically get greek yogurt first and then a rich thick cheese that forms a ball and peels off the cheesecloth readily. Labneh.  The whey can be used like regular whey in baking of cooking or ??  You will find tons of ways to use the labneh (besides just eating it).  I sometimes add herbs and spices and form it into small balls which I store in olive oil in the refrigerator.

By the way, this can be made with store bought plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt but be sure it doesn’t have a bunch of fillers or gelatins and sugars.  They are made so the whey DOESN’T drain from them. 

This sounds great!! I must be hungry, my mouth is watering....:feedme:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Well....that should make some light and airy waffles...  Good you have time to experiment and learn b/4 hooey hits fan. 

MtRider  :cook:  

Yes!! I've seen recipes for all kinds of things, including tortillas, croissants, etc. A little strange, but we'll give some of them a try!! :cook::feedme:

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 9:32 PM, Joyfilled said:

There's so much to learn!! And....a lot can be done without living in the country. Soap making, bread making, knitting, sewing....lots of things that don't require farm stuff. I want to do it ALL. Not sure it's a good idea, though....haha! But I'd at least like to give it at try! And...you've had a rough couple of years (well....to some extent we all have!)....take it easy on yourself. :bighug2:

Hahahahahaha

This brings back a lot of memories lol. 

I moved to the farm AND did it all!!! Livestock, milking, body care products, breads, on and on I could go. So, my best advice to you would be…

Go for it. Do it all and then some :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, try as much as you can while you're young enough.  Then later you can pass your wisdom down to someone younger and still get the benefits.

DH and I have a joke.  "Iffen HARD TIMES were going to come, couldn't they have happened while we were a lot YOUNGER?"   Right? 

MtRider   ....NOT as young as I used  NEED to be.   :huh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Yeah, try as much as you can while you're young enough.  Then later you can pass your wisdom down to someone younger and still get the benefits.

DH and I have a joke.  "Iffen HARD TIMES were going to come, couldn't they have happened while we were a lot YOUNGER?"   Right? 

MtRider   ....NOT as young as I used  NEED to be.   :huh:

This is good advice, MtRider. I'm younger than some, older than others....but there are things (a lot of things) that I wish were easy for me to do today, instead of just learning. I wish I was confident in my bread-making. I had just gotten confident in my yeast bread making, and then we decided to switch to sourdough. So many other things I want to learn and do....and teach my young ones!! :)

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Joyfilled said:

So many other things I want to learn and do....and teach my young ones!! :)

And you will.  Perhaps you will even learn together.  My motto is:  A day without learning is a wasted day!  I am almost 76 and I still have many things to learn.  Some of them are from younger people!  :happy0203:

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Mother said:

And you will.  Perhaps you will even learn together.  My motto is:  A day without learning is a wasted day!  I am almost 76 and I still have many things to learn.  Some of them are from younger people!  :happy0203:

Thank you, Mother. I have been finding that I ask my oldest DD questions about things that she's passionate about, and am looking forward to what my other kids will be passionate about that they can teach me!

Soon my youngest DD's and I are going to be making candles and chapstick for Christmas gifts. Should be fun!! :)

• Like 5