MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Love getting free food.....

This evening was our, free to everyone, community Thanksgiving supper.  It was delicious and just downright fun catching up with everyone!

December 10th will be our community Christmas supper and Party. Santa comes on the fire engine with the siren blaring.  There's a gift for every child.  There are also drawings for this and that for the adults.  I love our little town!

Back to this evening.  As they were deboning the turkey, I found no one wanted the bones. I did! So, I have the bones to boil down into delicious turkey broth and a pan of turkey too. Tomorrow I'll make turkey pot pies for the freezer and good eating all winter. Yum!

How many of you cook down your turkey carcass to make broth?  Oh, it's so easy and soooooooooo good.

Turkey and bones 11-20-22.jpg

• Like 6

I always get the Turkey carcass after every family gathering.  Or the ham bone, venison, or whatever meat is being served.  I used to can it but the last few years the broth goes in the freezer.  Often some of the broth goes to the kids or grands to host a soup supper gathering.  :happy0203:

• Like 4

That's wonderful, Dee!! :grouphug:

Can you tell me more about your gathering? Is it like a potluck, or who provides the food? We live in a small town, and I think that would be a nice thing to do!!

• Like 2

Most of the time there's a can for free will offering sitting somewhere for those who want to contribute.  This Thanksgiving dinner there was enough money on hand to not put a can out.  We have 3 churches in town, Baptist, Lutheran and Methodist.  The ecumenical minister's group put it on this year and paid for the turkey and side dishes.  Turkey, potatoes, dressing, gravy and canned cranberry.

Of course, many of us work and contribute.  This year the Lutheran church did the cooking, serving and clean-up.  The Baptist brought salads and the Methodist did the bars.  It rotates yearly from church to church.  Our time and goodies are volunteered so no bills are handed in.  Our local grain elevator and the soybean plant in town donate the paper products.  Plates, napkins, plastic silverware, placemats, hot/cold cups.  Someone will print the words to Christmas carols on the placemats and we'll raise the rafters with our "beautiful" voices.  We aren't a choir, but we do make a loud noise! :) 

The men set up (and take down) the tables and chairs.  The women set the tables and really do most of the work BUT there are always men there to help us when needed.  Lifting heavy things, running after things we forgot, etc.  As is with most endeavors the same few do the work year after year but it's such a happy time that no one seems to mind.  

This year our Lutheran confirmand kids put on a skit.  It was kind of serious and yet fun and they had a good time doing it.  We adults loved it and laughed right along with them.

For our Christmas party some of us will gather early and make tons of ham and turkey sandwiches.  The meat is bought in the deli at a grocery store that will also bake the buns.  Some will bring a gallon of either chicken noodle, chili or Oyster soup.  Each kind will be added to a roaster.  Some will make bars and some with bring carrots sticks and celery. There again, it's all freely given and done.

Some of the free will offering will be spent by a group buying children's Christmas gifts and other supplies at after Christmas sales. Money is also saved until next year to buy hams, turkeys, etc. for the drawings.  

We've done it enough through the years it's become a well-oiled machine.  It's great fun, most of the community looks forward to it but, of course, there are always some old curmudgeons that don't.  We ignore them!:laughkick:

If you have questions Joyfilled, just ask!  I hope you can get something coordinated in your town because it's so rewarding.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I learned the value of turkey bones from my Dad.  Every Thanksgiving and Christmas, he put the bones in a bag and over the next couple of days, he would make the most remarkable turkey-rice soup.  It was a wonderful tradition.  I've made it too, but it never tastes like my Papa's.  Now that he's passed on, I know I'll never have his soup again.  It hurts my heart.  Sometimes it's the little things that make you realize all the ways in which you can miss a person you love.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

It is hard when you lose loved ones. My Dh cooked certain things for dinner at times that I did not know how to do. When he started to get sick and was not able to do things, I started making those things with him telling me what to do. I wrote down everything he made but still it's not as good as his.  Those are sad time indeed. Miss him dearly.  It's hard when you do everything with your DH and now you are having to do it all alone. But recipes to pass down to children to keep in family. DH didn't do a lot of cooking, but he did have his specials he liked to cook.

I also save the turkey bones for broth and soup.  But Dee you got lucky on that. Lots of things you can do with what someone else might consider being trashed. 

Our Church had our gathering this past Sunday night. The church furnishes the turkey, dressing, rolls and drinks and then everyone brings a dish plus a desert. We are a small church so no leftovers to bring home. We take what is left and fix up plates to take to our home bound members. Lots of fun. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thanks, Jeepers.

You're right Littlesister.  NO ONE wanted those bones and meat but me.  Their loss! :) 

I didn't make turkey potpies.  My husband is not crazy about them, and I ended up with way too much broth to make just a very few.  Sooooo, I froze 8 quarts of broth.  There was enough turkey that I added it to 6 of the quarts.  The others are plain.  No matter how often I make bone broth I'm amazed at how good it is and how much it makes.  I probably could have made another quart, but I probably drank that much in the couple days of cooking and freezing. :) 

On Saturday I cooked ham and bean soup.  Yum!  I gave some to DH for dinner yesterday and froze the rest.  I ended up with 7 Grabit size bowls to put in the freezer.    

With the 8 quarts of turkey broth and 7 bowls of ham and bean soup, I have quite a few more meals in the freezer.  Of course, with just DH and I the broth will be made into more than one meal.  Love this! 

Who's next?  What have you all been working at???

beans crockpot .jpg

beans 2.jpg

• Like 5

Dee that looks so good. I am coming to your house for lunch. I am going to be up to my eyeballs in cooking and canning very soon. Very unexpected.

GS works in a food distribution center.  He bought home a pumpkin pie, 15lb turkey, 2 boxes of stove top stuffing, a 4 or 5lb bag of fresh green beans, 10lbs of white potatoes, and 5lbs of sweet potatoes. All free from his company. This is a first for him as he hasn't been there a year yet. So, this will be going on even after he gets his apt. He would just come by here in middle of night put it all away and I will wake up to free food as he doesn't know how to cook any of it. But I will take care of that for him. It will be part of his food storage. Seems they do this every year at Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

• Like 2

Green beans are in the canner now. 10 pints is not bad for what he bought home.   It's funny, because his dad also works in food distribution but a different company.  They only give out a turkey.  GS's company gives the whole meal right down to the pie. So now I have 5 turkeys in freezer, and I will have to can them when I get back into town this weekend. But well worth it. Four of them I bought last year right after Christmas. Never got around to canning them. I have 5 lbs. of potatoes I had just bought, and he came home early this morning with 10 lbs. more. So, I will be canning 15 lbs. of potatoes and 5 turkeys plus broth. Going to be a busy week next week.  Will put one turkey in fridge tomorrow before leaving for NC. It will still be frozen in middle, but I will be able to get one canned while the next one is thawing. DD didn't want any of it as she said she had everything, and she will not can anything. GS's company really went all out with giving the employees food.  Wondering now what he will be bringing home for Christmas. This will all be a good start for his food preps. Need to go through my canning books to see all the different ways I can can up turkey. I have no freezer room. So that is a bummer for pre maid meals. I am going to have to teach grandson how to use canned potatoes. He has seen me take a can of potatoes and fry up with onions. And he loved that. So will be giving cooking lessons soon. 

• Like 2

Any way you would can chicken, you can do the same with turkey.  

Suggestions from my old Southern Living Canning and Preserving cookbook: copyright 1972.  Let me know if you want any of the recipes:

Chicken a la king

chicken with dumplings

chicken spread for sandwiches

roast turkey

Also, if you can chicken soup, turkey soup can be made in the same manner exactly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you euphrasyne.  I have those recipes also. But GS would only eat the roast turkey.  I am going to take the turkey he got from work and grind it into turkey burger and can it. That way he can use it for spaghetti or tacos.  I have canned turkey before but did it like I do chicken.  The other turkeys I have in freezer I will be making turkey soup and other things as well. Thank you for the suggestions. I might do the chicken a la king with some of the other turkeys for me when I start those.  Got his green beans canned yesterday evening. 10 pint jars out of all that. So, he will be having a small stockpile of food for he moves into his apt next year.  He will be getting more free food at Christmas but don't know yet what that will be. 

• Like 3
On 11/21/2022 at 11:33 AM, Dee said:

Most of the time there's a can for free will offering sitting somewhere for those who want to contribute.  This Thanksgiving dinner there was enough money on hand to not put a can out.  We have 3 churches in town, Baptist, Lutheran and Methodist.  The ecumenical minister's group put it on this year and paid for the turkey and side dishes.  Turkey, potatoes, dressing, gravy and canned cranberry.

Of course, many of us work and contribute.  This year the Lutheran church did the cooking, serving and clean-up.  The Baptist brought salads and the Methodist did the bars.  It rotates yearly from church to church.  Our time and goodies are volunteered so no bills are handed in.  Our local grain elevator and the soybean plant in town donate the paper products.  Plates, napkins, plastic silverware, placemats, hot/cold cups.  Someone will print the words to Christmas carols on the placemats and we'll raise the rafters with our "beautiful" voices.  We aren't a choir, but we do make a loud noise! :) 

The men set up (and take down) the tables and chairs.  The women set the tables and really do most of the work BUT there are always men there to help us when needed.  Lifting heavy things, running after things we forgot, etc.  As is with most endeavors the same few do the work year after year but it's such a happy time that no one seems to mind.  

This year our Lutheran confirmand kids put on a skit.  It was kind of serious and yet fun and they had a good time doing it.  We adults loved it and laughed right along with them.

For our Christmas party some of us will gather early and make tons of ham and turkey sandwiches.  The meat is bought in the deli at a grocery store that will also bake the buns.  Some will bring a gallon of either chicken noodle, chili or Oyster soup.  Each kind will be added to a roaster.  Some will make bars and some with bring carrots sticks and celery. There again, it's all freely given and done.

Some of the free will offering will be spent by a group buying children's Christmas gifts and other supplies at after Christmas sales. Money is also saved until next year to buy hams, turkeys, etc. for the drawings.  

We've done it enough through the years it's become a well-oiled machine.  It's great fun, most of the community looks forward to it but, of course, there are always some old curmudgeons that don't.  We ignore them!:laughkick:

If you have questions Joyfilled, just ask!  I hope you can get something coordinated in your town because it's so rewarding.

This is AWESOME!! Sounds a lot like my little town, down to the three churches, etc. I would like to do this. I realize that most people have somewhere to go, but it would be nice to do something for those that don't. For example, our family. It's just us, DD and her DH, and my Dad. Next year my Dad may be in Africa, so it'll be even more smaller than it's been in years past. I only have enough space in my home, but if we did it at church....so, something to consider. I'm thinking that buying Thanksgiving plates, etc. now may be a good idea, as everything should be on clearance here soon if it isn't already. I just hate the plates that fall apart....

Another idea I've had is instead of Thanksgiving dinner, have a Thanksgiving service the night before, and have a pie social after, where everyone brings pie to share. Then if you have relatives from out of town, you have a chance to feed them variety without having to make it. It would be so nice!! :)

Thanks for sharing, Dee. It sounds so very nice. :bighug2:

• Like 5

It reminds me of the time my DIL fixed Thanksgiving.  She didn't want to mess with a turkey so she got a Honey baked spiral sliced ham. It was delicious.  Afterwards she sliced off the easy pre cut slices for sandwiches later.  She had about a 1-2 inch chunk of ugly ham near the bone.  She just tossed the whole thing in the garbage.  I was so shocked it's a wonder I didn't gasp out loud. What a waste.  She only cut off the easy slices and that was it. I could have got about 5  more sandwiches and a great pot of beans from the bone. lol

• Like 5

Thanks for your kind words Joyfilled.  Hope you can get something going in your small town.  It's well worth it! :kissy:

I think I'd have taken it out of the garbage and rinsed it off Momo.  :knary:   But, then again, maybe not with a DIL.  Mine isn't real crazy about me to begin with.:bounce:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow Momo, that ham bone would be great for beans. She best learn how to use that stuff before things get worse. My DD is learning but still won't can food. But at least she is stocking up a little bit.

Got GS's turkey ground up for turkey burger and will be canning that tomorrow.  The legs and wings I will can whole with bone like I used to do for DH. We would take those and barbeque them. GS loves the wings and legs so going to bake those and then can them for him. Then I will add that to his box. I am going to need to get another box at this rate. Hoping he finds an apt. that won't be too expensive. He really needs to get a new car before having issues with the one he has. It's not in the best shape and I wouldn't trust it on a trip. 

• Like 2