MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Beets are harvested

I harvested my beets today.  Now, to get them to the freezer.  Have any of you frozen beets?  I haven't but my glass top stove won't handle my canner, so canning is not an option this year.  After many ideas floating through my mind I've decided to freeze them.  What do you think?

beets 6-29-23.jpg

• Like 2

I've never frozen beets but they look beautiful! Could you pickle some. Beets are on my canning list too...someday. I bought a small graniteware type of canner that is nice for small batches for water bath canning. It might be a 12 quart. I'm not sure. Nice lighter weight size for glasstops and for pickles and jellies. 

You might have to opt for an outdoor burner to can on. Lots of folks use those now. Added bonus of keeping the kitchen cooler in the summer too.

• Like 1

I have frozen beets.  For me the key is to have them steamed or boiled long enough to slip the skins easily but not so long as to be overcooked.  Then when you reheat them they are just nicely done. Lately we have been finding diced beets in steamable packages. They take only minutes to be ready and  are great on salads.  Consider dicing them before freeing if you like them that way. They are hard to dice after freezing.  You did great growing those beets.  👍

• Like 1

Jeepers, I've wondered about an outdoor burner but don't know anyone personally that has one or that has done it.  I wanted to move my gas stove over from the old house but found by the time we got it all set and ready to go we're talking about $300 to $400 and I decided I could buy a lot of food for that amount of money.  At my ago, who knows how long I'll continue to can but probably not long enough to spend that much.

Mother.  I already have some cooked, sliced and in the freezer.  I'll try dicing the next batch.  I'll have to cook at least 3 batches so the last I'll not cook clear through.

Hugs ladies and thanks for the help!!!

• Like 1

Dee, I peel, with a potato peeler, with gloves on, & slice, then, blanch mine about 2-3 minutes, strain, cool & freeze them.  That has worked great for me and they are still on the crispy uncooked side when they are defrosted, so, I can either fry them in butter or microwave for fresh veggies.  

I also blanch the greens, strain & cool and freeze them.  DH likes beet greens much better than spinach.

The stems are done the same, cut in 2-3” sections.  They are fried with a touch of seasoning.  

:feedme:

• Like 4

I don't blame you for passing on moving the stove. $$$  I've seen a lot of Youtubers using camping stoves to can on. Mostly homesteaders. One of them was a member here a long time ago. She used to moderate for Sutton's Days. I think her name was Daelith. I might have misspelled that. I've looked into them a little bit. The two warnings I saw was to not use one over 12,000 BTU's and to use a little extra water in the pressure canner. Reason for both issues was because they burn hotter than a regular stove and getting the correct temperature to hold the proper pressure can take a little extra time to regulate.  :shrug:

I've never seen beets in the steam bags. Our freezer cases aren't as well stocked as they used to be though. Food Saver sells the steam fresh type bags just for that purpose but I've never used them.

I love pickled beets.  :yum3:

• Like 1

I like your way, Annarchy. :sSig_thankyou:   I might have to try that.  Sounds like they would be fresher tasting. 

Dee you might look into getting an electric canner. I'm considering one just for the convenience of not having to watch it and time things so closely. It is about the size of an instapot so doesn't take up a ton of space to store when you're not canning.

• Like 1

Interesting Annarchy.  I might try your way next year.  We just aren't greens people.  We like green beans, peas, broccoli and the like but not greens so much.  I know they're good for us and we should eat them but.......  :)

I watch YouTube fairly often but have never seen anyone using the camp stoves.  I'll have to look into it tomorrow.  Tonight, I'm dead and me and my book are headed for bed.

I agree Mother.  I'd like to try her way too, but it'll have to be next year.  Mine are done and in the freezer for this year.

I've looked into them Becca.  They're not really recommended yet, from what I've read.  Also, when I can I want to do 20 pints at a time and get it done.  Let me know what you think of it if you get one.  I'd like to know.

Thanks all! :grouphug:

Good night:offtobed:

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Dee said:

I watch YouTube fairly often but have never seen anyone using the camp stoves.  I'll have to look into it tomorrow.  Tonight, I'm dead and me and my book are headed for bed.

Check out this vid :canning:

Our Outdoor Canning Station

Inexpensive and utilitarian, our outdoor canning station does the job we need it to do for all the canning we do.  It is off grid, so it works for us as long as we have some propane.

Rose Red Homestead - https://www.youtube.com/@RoseRedHomestead

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 2

I've seen her canning outside but not her entire setup. Good video. I've watched Daelith and Guildbrook Farm can outside.

I thought I'd like a one burner stove but since she mentioned having two canners going at the same time, I've changed my mind. I too have had two canners going at once on the kitchen stove. Especially when canning big vats of soup. 

• Like 2